Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

That fancy youtube thing! - Music for Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Gave us a great night in the infamous Stardust. Great entertainer and great band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Saw him at The Bridge House, Canning Town about 30 years ago. Brilliant! Stayed back for afters and everyone got pilled up or drunk. :D
    Also saw Dire Straights there in their pre-Sultans Of Swing days. AFAIK Drury died a few years ago.

Ian gone.
    Rory gone to his home town too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Time for some Christmas Cheer...gobble gobble...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

My favourite Christmas song :pac::pac:^^^^^

Now,not a song but a story ;)

Brilliant!

I suppose I will have to post this then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Christmas Song that non believers embrace :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Beautiful song Mike :)

Hey Mods ......... can you delete the above entries please. Cannot post Fairytale of New York (TOTP one). Everything fine in the preview thingy but when I post .......... only my words appear. Is it 'cause I is Irish?
    [MOD: Shazzam! It's done]

Linkyourselfin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o89yo5UmGD4

And the lyrics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv0hlbWpa1w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Spread wrote: »
    Is it 'cause I is Irish?
    No. Its cuz you drunky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I always liked this tune (Fairytale of New York), but why oh why do adults play it for kiddies' Christmas parties - the words are very inappropriate for tiny tots! And they are pretty quick to pick 'em up, the rascals!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I haven't heard this song once this Christmas, usually it would be everywhere, but it seems to have vanished!

Hey looksee, where do you live? It is unheard of here also. Some of the young Americans that visited chez-nous over the last few weeks loved it. We aim to do some minor distribution next Christmas :D

Oh I live in Waterford, Ireland, which is why its surprising that I haven't heard it, usually its all over the radio and corrupted versions in shops (ie not shane of the orrible teeth!)

I've seen it with Shane on the TV just a couple of days ago. I think it was a TOTP Christmas hits revisit.

Foxinsox first posted here with “Let's show them youngwans what real music is all about!” and as I wanted to know how to add the Youtube linky thing, and as it’s been quiet in here, I thought you’d like a reminder of these talented boyos! Now these lads could really sing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I used to live not far away in Tufnell Green and I even knew someone who worked there - The Hope and Anchor, Islington - but I left London in 1974, so this was a year after I'd gone, but it gives you an idea of some typical nights we had there and among others there was Jo-ann Kelly singing the blues, and up the road there was the Ducks Deluxe 'Showband' (that meant they had echo added to their sound and you had to wear a jacket and tie, if you wanted to get in)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yh40OSppgo - Ian Drury with Kilburn and the High Roads

Vous rencontrez un haut moment franc ;). You probably meant Newington Green or Tufnell Park. Or am I having one? I lived in Finsbury in those days and used to go to The Kings and The Hope & Anchor on a Saturday night about once a month before heading to the Neville Arms for the lock-in :)

Sorry I should have said Tufnell Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Spread wrote: »
    Vous rencontrez un haut moment franc ;). You probably meant Newington Green or Tufnell Park. Or am I having one? I lived in Finsbury in those days and used to go to The Kings and The Hope & Anchor on a Saturday night about once a month before heading to the Neville Arms for the lock-in :)

Ah the ol' Soap and W*anker! They stuck to old money for years after the decimal coinage came in, if it's the pub in Islington. Lived in Islington - Canonbury actually - around that time....

Yes I remember. The old L s and d till and the coinage. I think that they incurred the wrath of the judiciary ........... as did a trader in Chapel Mkt who kept selling his produce in lbs and ounces. That stretch has really changed. From Highbury Corner to The Angel is unrecognisable from those days. I wonder if the Kings Head theatre is still going? Some beautiful pubs in Canonbury.

I'm not sure about the Hope and Anchor, but definitely at The King's Head, they did make a point of carrying on counting out your change in old money. They used to sell oranjeboom beer - that nobody could pronounce properly and they had a beautiful horse-shaped bar, if I remember. I've seen a bad comment about the landlord at the Hope switching off the juke box because he didn't like what was being played. Yes both pubs are still going though I believe the Hope went downhill and got taken over - it was a free house when I knew it.The King's Head was and still is known for theatre - once we got in to see a première there without knowing it - so we saw it for free. I do remember they had musicians there as well, and you could have a meal before the show, if you wanted which was nice.
    http://www.kingsheadtheatrepub.co.uk/
    http://www.bugbearbookings.com/hope-and-anchor/
    http://www.spoonfed.co.uk/london/venue/islington-43/hope-and-anchor-1976/ - but there are a lot of people who have fond memories of the place anyway and I could tell you a tale or two about it.

Mod: Er, lads, you wouldn't like to drift a bit closer to music would you, given the thread that is in it? (I'm sure London pubs of yore would make an interesting thread though)

Sorry about that

Here's one about an oulfella - en voici une qui parle d'un vieux - An Seanduine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSjyv0wvna0 - I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was pointing the finger at them, but I like the song (and the singer).

I thought that at our age ....... well, going off on tangents and non sequiturs would be as acceptable as taking the morning array of pills. Wait 'til we start getting paranoid!

But having said that ......... will take what you said on board. Anyone for surfing? :p

A blast from the past ......... I was going to say in E1 ......... but I won't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

jeez I didn't think being older meant being boring , don't take any 'pills in the morniing' either - it's incredibly annoying to read older people going on about 'the good ol'days' etc. for god's sake put up some good music and stop moaning....and as for the title of this thread 'that fancy youtube thing' a monkey knows how to use it, it's been around nearly ten years.

Depressing.:([YOUTUBEhttp://youtu.be/nUTXb-ga1fo][/YOUTUBE]

MOD: Sorry you are bored and annoyed. Please feel free to leave - and don't come back. (Evidently you need to be smarter than a monkey to post you tube videos on Boards)

BANNED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Not exactly a music video.

But it is something for the Mods to get their teeth into. (If they like fruit anyway) :D:D

Advertisement