Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lg viewty or nokia 5800

• 23-03-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

i'm considering one of these 2... the question is, which is the better phone?

i'm really looking for a good mobile internet phone... with decent a camera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭bacon?

yes, was thinking the same.

i've been away for a while... i was with meteor before i left, never had a problem with them... but they don't have the 5800... yet anyway, will mail em for date of release.

it is cheaper on vodafone... but i don't really like em... they seem to overbrand their phones...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

the last time i checked o2 were the cheapest 5800 seller at the minute. I'd agree with everything that's been said so far. I'm typing off a 5800 now and i find it great. I wanted it for pretty much the same reasons, ie, web, camera, and music. I did have my doubts when buying it, but after having it unlocked by columbia rad i can't fault it. There are a few small issues with the firmware but you can expect further updates in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Have to add another vote for the 5800. Great phone with killer specs and while the camera is not the best, everything else about it makes it a top class peice of kit. The 5800 feels more like a high end phone than the mid range phone its priced as.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I won a 5800 at the weekend on today FM. I presume it'll be unlocked, so what network/price plan should I stick it on to get the best out of it? I'm currently on PAYG meteor.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

zuroph wrote: »
    I won a 5800 at the weekend on today FM. I presume it'll be unlocked, so what network/price plan should I stick it on to get the best out of it? I'm currently on PAYG meteor.

If you're happy with meteor then you may aswell stick with them. Unless you have any specific requirements outside what you're used to. I find meteors 99cent for a max download of 50mb a day is quite handy, it could be better but still, it allows me pretty much all the browsing on the go i'd need, all for 99cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

would any of meteors bill pay options be better do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

The Nokia 5800 has a 16 million resolution screen, It also has very responsive Nokia maps with A-GPS. It has song recognition and lots of new techno elements that make it fun and interesting. Some people don't like it's design around the screen but most agree it is a stylish design. The ratings for it are good in all areas design style user friendly and technical. It has a camera but only for the most casual of photo's.
    If you want a camera phone get the pixon, it has everything and a brilliant camera but a lower screen resolution and battery life isn't quite as good as the nokia 5800 express music, but the music player is and it has song recognition.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

pirelli wrote: »
    The Nokia 5800 has a 16 million resolution screen, It also has very responsive Nokia maps with A-GPS. It has song recognition .

What app looks after song recognition - I didn't come across it on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

pirelli wrote: »
    The Nokia 5800 has a 16 million resolution screen, It also has very responsive Nokia maps with A-GPS. It has song recognition and lots of new techno elements that make it fun and interesting. Some people don't like it's design around the screen but most agree it is a stylish design. The ratings for it are good in all areas design style user friendly and technical. It has a camera but only for the most casual of photo's.
    If you want a camera phone get the pixon, it has everything and a brilliant camera but a lower screen resolution and battery life isn't quite as good as the nokia 5800 express music, but the music player is and it has song recognition.

I'm sure that's meant to read "a 16 million colour screen". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Mr.S wrote: »
    Nokia 5800 hands down.

If your on PAYG, buy the phone on o2 and get it unlocked here by Columba Rad, cheaper then buying it on Vodafone, and they bog down the phone a lot. Meteor are apparently bringing out the phone soon, but no dates/prices yet.

Good things about the Viewty is the camera, can record video at 120FPS and it has a decent QWERTY keyboard

what do you mean they bog the phone down a lot,?? in what ways, how would I get rid of such bogging down

yeh viewty/renoir=camera
    5800 =mp3 player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

woop wrote: »
    what do you mean they bog the phone down a lot,?? in what ways, how would I get rid of such bogging down

yeh viewty/renoir=camera
    5800 =mp3 player.
    Vodafone heavily brand their handsets on the inside and out, sometimes change the general appearance of the menus and remove some features. O2, on the other hand, are quite the opposite and don't tend to brand their handsets too much; generally just a start-up and shutdown animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

the last time i checked o2 were the cheapest 5800 seller at the minute. I'd agree with everything that's been said so far. I'm typing off a 5800 now and i find it great. I wanted it for pretty much the same reasons, ie, web, camera, and music. I did have my doubts when buying it, but after having it unlocked by columbia rad i can't fault it. There are a few small issues with the firmware but you can expect further updates in the near future.
    just a quick question, did your 5800 come with the correst style stilus (sp?). the one with mine is too long and doesnt totally into the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

We have two 5800's here and both have the same stylus -fits in with a firm click. There is also a second one in the box for the phone. If your's pops the cover or is too long I'd exchange the handset.
    Sundy wrote: »
    just a quick question, did your 5800 come with the correst style stilus (sp?). the one with mine is too long and doesnt totally into the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Vodafone heavily brand their handsets on the inside and out, sometimes change the general appearance of the menus and remove some features. O2, on the other hand, are quite the opposite and don't tend to brand their handsets too much; generally just a start-up and shutdown animation.
    I realise that they brand theyre handsets but I thought with the 5800 they done very little

would updating the firmware not just get rid of it?
    changine the appearence can hardly bog down a phone can it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    OP I would also go with the 5800. Wifi, decent camera with flash, memory expandable upto 16GB. Having used the Viewty and owning the 5800 I think the 5800 beats it hand down.

No updating the firmware won't change the Vodafone branding as they have their own custom firmware, meaning people with this will get updated firmware much slower (sometimes never) compared to people with unbranded phones.

is this custom firmware a big consideration?

the 5800 is cheaper with vodafone, well the phone cost anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    Not really as you can just change the product code to get the generic firmware and get the updates as soon as nokia release them.

Afaik it's a good bit cheaper with o2 on PAYG and Vodafone on Bill.

you mean the calls are cheaper on o2?

bacon? wrote: »
    you mean the calls are cheaper on o2?

The phone itself is cheaper with o2. 289 i think. Plus it doesn't have the vodafone menus.

ah, cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement