Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Germans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

I, for one, welcome our new germanic overlords

Atleast their not as craiced as our insane bankers =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The more I read this thread the more I want to go to Germany.

I was at a ski resort in Feldburg, Baden Wurttemberg once and even the snow was warm, Frieburg was the cleanest place I'v ever seen but of course one of the lads I was with had to put on a Hitler walk and start saluting people I'll never forget the face of one German who was snogging his girl and caught sight of us, His face just dropped...

charlemont wrote: »
    The more I read this thread the more I want to go to Germany.

I was at a ski resort in Feldburg, Baden Wurttemberg once and even the snow was warm, Frieburg was the cleanest place I'v ever seen but of course one of the lads I was with had to put on a Hitler walk and start saluting people I'll never forget the face of one German who was snogging his girl and caught sight of us, His face just dropped...

Hahaha lucky he didnt say heil hitler aswell or he would have been arrested =P germans are very embarressed by what happened i find anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

By and large, decent folk.

No real dealings with them except for when a German tour group stayed in a hotel I work at. When they finished checking in, the hall ported saunters over to the middle of the lobby, sticks up the ould right arm, just like the good old days when himself was in charge over there and shouts out "elevators that way". Stands there giving the Nazi salute whilst they about forty of them walk by him with a mixture of amazement and confusion on their faces.

One of the funniest things I have ever seen. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

tahina wrote: »
    Hahaha lucky he didnt say heil hitler aswell or he would have been arrested =P germans are very embarressed by what happened i find anyway

It was on a side street but the clown had also been in a large department store on kaiser joseph strase and once he went up the elevator to the top floor he spotted it was full of bathroom accessories so you can guess what he said then..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

there is some truth in stereotypes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

The Germans want to rule the roost again. . .
    Vote Maybe for a better Germany. . .
    Vote Yes for the same. . .
    Vote No. for What if?

The germans are so pissy at the moment about the situation with the debt ridden countries that they actually would prefer to leave the euro now thats more the citizens than the gov obviously but they are overall really pleased on how we have coped unlike greece.. But thats a story for a different fourm

charlemont wrote: »
    tahina wrote: »

It was on a side street but the clown had also been in a large department store on kaiser joseph strase and once he went up the elevator to the top floor he spotted it was full of bathroom accessories so you can guess what he said then..

Scheiße =P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Also people are often saying that Germany want to take control (well I guess they have now with the IMF) of the country through the EU.
    I'd much rather the Germans having an input than not. They don't want to screw us. They want other counties to be as successful as themselves. Angela Merkel is a whore though. I don't like her at all.

Ireland is actually quite similar to Germany except they are just like the old stereo type and super efficient. They don't like working 24/7. They go to work and do their jobs well and get out of there. Not like some jobs in this country where you can see people arsing about at a snails pace.

It's great to see so many people have such great things to say about ze Germans :)
    I wonder where we can go from here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Ich mag das Deutsche leute…gute bier, feinen frauen und ausgezeichneten parteileute :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

of all the countries in the european union, if i had my pick of the leader country, germany would get my vote,
    i do think they are sound people, honest, hardworking, and decent, i have tham as neighbours all my life, went to school with them and worked with them, and i have nothing but good to say about them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

At least here, you get to keep the grave:)

My in-laws is germany are only allowed to rent their grave.25 years per term.If they or their family don't renew the lease,whatever remains are left are dug up and put into a mass grave.The plot is then leased to someone else.
    Not a bad idea IMO.

I don't know, seems a little bit disrespectful to people's remains to be dumped in a mass grave if they're family can't afford the payment for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

There's election campaigns going on here at the moment. One of the campaigning groups is the Pirate Party. On their posters some of the candidates are wearing bandanas and big gold earrings.

If only I'd paid my taxes I would so vote for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I have worked/friends with a couple of Germans here in Oz and they are great bunch of lads, I would say definitely better than most of the muppets we have on here.

Heading back over to the Fatherland in September for a bit of training, they definitely know how to run a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Any German people I've met have been lovely. Never liked the German language but that's about the only thing I have against them. :p

Was in Munich when I was 13 but it was a school trip, so as you can imagine I didn't exactly take full advantage of it. Would love to go back to Germany some day though; have been told that Berlin, Hamburg and Koln are all brilliant cities to go out in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I think German language is easy enough, sure English is a Germanic Language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I've had a German housemate in two different accommodations for the past two years-- the first guy was a completely humourless bore, but the second girl was awesome (albeit a total clean freak). As with anyone- a mixed bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I think German language is easy enough, sure English is a Germanic Language.

They diverged an awful long time ago though. A French person would learn Spanish or Italian a lot easier than an English speaker would learn German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Things I like about Germans-

They are very punctual, never late.
    They are very hardworking,
    They are very honest and straight forward.
    They have tall blonde attractive uninhibited women....
    They aren't brainwashed by the catholic church.
    They are very organised.
    They have excellent well educated politicans running their country, while we only seem to have corrupt gombeen men running our country into the feckin ground....arrrrggggghhhh

Things I dislike about bloody Germans....

They are so fecking organised about every area of their lives. They have a system for everything....
    They seem incapable of being spontaineous,
    They are very arrogant.
    They are like sheep, they don't seem to work well on their own initiative.
    They are rather robotic, once they make a plan its carried out.

When one of their well organised plans goes wrong.... they just seem to go into crebral meltdown.... This can be absolutely hilarious to watch....They rarely seem to include any sort of back up plan....this is prolly why they lost the war.....lol...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Have to disagree with the great diets assessment. Spent a week in Stuttgart. The food was dire and made me sick. Also rare to find a restaurant there that wasnt in the fast food category.

It's so nice to see so many people have such positive things to say about Germans.
    I have a Dutch friend who says it best, "Germans are awesome" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

I really like German people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I like the Germans sense of humor.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

worked in Frankfurt in the late '70's. What a lovely civilised and nice people. Great food. The best beer in the World. A cultured and beautiful Country and Race.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,875 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The best thing about the Germans is, compared to the Irish, is that they tend not to be judgemental or begrudge.

Happy, curious, interested in you (whereas the Irish people think you're a freak) and genuinely encouraging.

The humour thing is a myth, because of translation issues and the fact that Germans can be very self-conscious about their English. They might be fluent speakers, but they're very worried about making even minor mistakes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

grenache wrote: »
    One aspect of how they differ from other nationalities would be in their eye for detail, or preciseness. For example, if one of my German customers is paying for an item, and the bill comes to €1.88, he/she will count out exactly that amount in change.

They sound like fucking weirdos, I don't think that is in any way indicative of how Germans generally act.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    The best thing about the Germans is, compared to the Irish, is that they tend not to be judgemental or begrudge.

Happy, curious, interested in you (whereas the Irish people think you're a freak) and genuinely encouraging.

The humour thing is a myth, because of translation issues and the fact that Germans can be very self-conscious about their English. They might be fluent speakers, but they're very worried about making even minor mistakes.
    You're a tad cynical about the Irish there, I actually find Germans to be very similar to Irish.

biko wrote: »
    I prefer The Dutch.
    Lol Biko, does that joke mean what I think it does :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Don't mention the war

hilarious. as hilarious as the Germans constantly asking me about the IRA or whether I am protestant or catholic whenever I meet one.

Advertisement