Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what do the re test on the NCT Retest

• 22-01-2009 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am just wondering when you take a car in for a re test before a specified date what do they re test? what you failed on shocks for example

but here is my question

WHAT IF I REPAIR THOOSE SHOCKS AND THIS TIME AROUND I HAVE A VISIBLE CRACKED WINDSHIELD?

will they give me a cert or say re test again broken windscreen OR will they ignore it becuase that wasnt to be re tested after the initial failure

Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

AFAIK, they only test what the vehicle failed on previously.

Im not sure what happens if they notice the windscreen tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Since it is shocks, it'll have to go in to be retested and you will be paying again. I'm sure when they have it in if they see the windscreen they'll fail you on it. Bit of a sickner that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 elmir1981

thats what i am getting at you are re testing for something which the car failed on but now they can spot something else which is visible and which happened since the last test

thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The regulations state that they cannot fail you on a re-test for an item that you have already passed, but there is a small qualification here that states that they are allowed introduce a new item on teh re-test on the grounds that to not do so would be to create a public risk. I've never heard of this qualifation being used, but they in teory can use it but I'd imagine most of them wouldn't be bothered unless it was something like a car that they were checking up on the lift for a front wishbone and they found a fuel leak from the petrol tank or a bad oil leak or something along those lines...

I've had a look at the regulations http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf but can't find this reference but i have seen it before on paper somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 elmir1981

so they can fail you again but only if it is something extra dangerous but not a failed bulb or something small

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

elmir1981 wrote: »
    so they can fail you again but only if it is something extra dangerous but not a failed bulb or something small

Yeah but it depends on how you define dangerous. I only heard of this clause being invoked once and it was not to do with the car but the tester, your man was being a pr*ck and was just having a bad day and failed someone for an item on a retest that they had originally passed ( think it was a reg plate that was hard to read). When the customer objected, your man the tester quoted the clause that allowed him to fail the car for this even though it had originallly passed. When he was asked how reg plates inmpacted public safety, he said if the car was involved in an incident, it would create difficulties tracing the car or reporting the incident as the car would be harder to identify.

This is very much a worst case scenario. You'd be very unlucky to be failed for the windscreen after passing it the first time. In any event, they can't just fail the windscreen because there is a crack in it, it has to be within a certain visual "zone" on the windscreen and be a predetermined length. Unless the window is smashed or seriously damaged and obviously creating a problem for driver visability, I wouldn't worry about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I would only fail it, if its a major defect, not something small like a blown bulb or so.....I just don't need the hassle:rolleyes:

But I have failed cars in the past, when they were back for a Re-test, and I saw something like a big bulge in a tyre.

Where exactly is the crack in your windscreen?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Darragh29 wrote: »
    The regulations state that they cannot fail you on a re-test for an item that you have already passed, but there is a small qualification here that states that they are allowed introduce a new item on teh re-test on the grounds that to not do so would be to create a public risk. I've never heard of this qualifation being used, but they in teory can use it but I'd imagine most of them wouldn't be bothered unless it was something like a car that they were checking up on the lift for a front wishbone and they found a fuel leak from the petrol tank or a bad oil leak or something along those lines...

I've had a look at the regulations http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf but can't find this reference but i have seen it before on paper somewhere...

See here...
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0395.html
    11. (1) In carrying out a test on a vehicle, the items to be tested and the methods of testing shall be in accordance with the National Car Test (NCT) Manual 1999, as published by the Stationery Office, in August, 1999.

(2) In carrying out a re-test—

(a) the items to be tested shall be those items the condition of which constituted reasons for refusal of the test certificate.

(b) the methods of testing shall be in accordance with sub-article (1).

Advertisement