Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Breeders of Ireland

• 12-11-2002 12:48pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok here is the list of Dog breeders in Ireland as promised.
    What Ive done is use the Club Secretary as the contact who will be able to put you in touch with someone in your area.
    And all Im supplying is the Breed and contact phone number.
    Im trying to keep the list small so Im only using the most popular breeds.If the breed is not on it contact me and Ill see what I can do.

Irish Kennel Club: http://www.ikc.ie/index.php

The Kennel Club, London (for NI breeders and further afield):
    http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The list is from the Irish Kennel Clubs official list of breeders for 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PoolBall

What no Keyshonds, animal and gonzo and very disapointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Magaly Dado

Hi, I can't get through to the number (Donegal I think?) for the Bassett hound secretary. I have been trying for a long time to find a breeder. Any help appreciated.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You could also try : Ms A Whelan Mullingar 044-71186.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Magaly Dado

Thanks Hellrazer. I rang her and she doesn't have any at present and "wasn't able" to tell me the name of any breeders.

Do you where I might advertise for Bassett pups wanted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adrianos

Hi,

I'm looking for a contact for someone who breeds
    Alaskan Malamutes. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Adrianos----Theres no Alaskan Malamute breeders in Ireland.Any that you do see come from the UK.The UK Kennel club number is 00448706066750.And remember its ok to import a dog from the UK.It doesnt have to be quarantined for 6 months.
    Richie.

Magaly Dado
    I cant find any more breeders of Basset hounds here but again if you ring the Kennel club regularly they can tell you if anyone is breeding at the minute.Phone no. is 01-4533300

richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adrianos

Thanks Richie, I'll give them a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skunky

Hi there. anyone know of any Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier's Breeders in Ireland, i've been looking for a while and cant seem to find any. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bang555

dont suppose u know a breeder of wolf-hybrids, if so it would be much appreciated

• Advertisement

Originally posted by skunky
    Hi there. anyone know of any Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier's Breeders in Ireland, i've been looking for a while and cant seem to find any. :confused:

Try the Irish Staffordshire Bullterrier Association.
    Mr Brown 01-2443261

Or

Irish Staffordshire Fanciers Club

Hope this helps
    Richie

Originally posted by bang555
    dont suppose u know a breeder of wolf-hybrids, if so it would be much appreciated

Wolf Hybrids are not a recognised species over her due to their tendency to be unpredictable(supposedly fairly aggressive) and the the fact that there is no regulation regarding the breeding line.

However try the Irish Kennel Club who may be able to point you in the right direction.Phone number is 01-4533300
    Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Would there be a lot of hassle involved in bringing a dog in from the UK?
    I have been looking for an Alaskan Malamute for a long time was going to go for an Akita.
    Whats involved in buying a dog from another country?
    Id appreciate any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Enilorac

The list at the top is not strictly a list of breeders, but a list of the breed club secretaries as featured in the Canine Directory published by the IKC.

I assume the OP took notice of the note in the front of the directory, about reproducing the info without permission from the IKC....
    ...and I hope they got the relevant permission.
    Some of the people behind the phone numbers might not want their home phone numbers given out over the internet...

Anyone looking for specific breeds might like to try

www.champdogs.co.uk

Originally posted by Enilorac
    The list at the top is not strictly a list of breeders, but a list of the breed club secretaries as featured in the Canine Directory published by the IKC.

I assume the OP took notice of the note in the front of the directory, about reproducing the info without permission from the IKC....
    ...and I hope they got the relevant permission.
    Some of the people behind the phone numbers might not want their home phone numbers given out over the internet...

Anyone looking for specific breeds might like to try

www.champdogs.co.uk

If you read through all the posts you`ll see that

1. Ive already credited the IKC with the list which I believe covers the reproduction of the material.

2. The list can already be found on line with those peoples phone numbers etc here http://www.ikc.ie/buying.html .If there is any problems Ill take the list down and post a link to the above page.Im sure that should calm all your worries.
    Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Enilorac

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    If you read through all the posts you`ll see that

1. Ive already credited the IKC with the list which I believe covers the reproduction of the material.

2. The list can already be found on line with those peoples phone numbers etc here http://www.ikc.ie/buying.html .If there is any problems Ill take the list down and post a link to the above page.Im sure that should calm all your worries.
    Richie.

I don't mind whether you post it or not, just thought I'd give you a friendly 'heads up'.

The warning in the front of the Canine Directory is as follows:
    "The information in this brochure cannot be reproduced without the prior permission in writing of the Irish Kennel Club.

So your credit in (1) isn't quite sufficient....however, as you pointed out, anyone going to the IKC website can access the same info...so what the heck ;o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

I am looking for a miniature yorkshire terrier breeder does anyone have a contact ???

and also i know of a breeder of wolf hybrids as i have two myself and can dig up the number for you if you still want it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Aidanm

Anybody know where I can get a bulldog pup.
    Not prepared to pay €2,500 though, as per recent adds in the buy and sell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Aimee...would you not be afraid your Wolves would eat the Yorkshire Terrier?

We got the miniature Yorkie and shes a lil terror, she gets along really well with the male wolf-hybrid, she thinks hes her dad and goes asleep on his back. As for his sister i wouldnt let the pup near her as she is more of a guard dog than a house pet. So we have no worries...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Can anyone tell me the proper name for weiner dogs and whether or not they are bred in Ireland?, much apprecitaed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IrishPrincess

hi
    i have tried ringing the number u have for chihuahua dogs and it always goes straight through to the answering machine, and the answering machine it goes to has not been activated. i am trying to locate chihuahua puppies if u have any other contact numbers.
    much appreciated
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 dubadub

Hellrazer wrote:
    Ok here is the list of Dog breeders in Ireland as promised.
    What Ive done is use the Club Secretary as the contact who will be able to put you in touch with someone in your area.
    And all Im supplying is the Breed and contact phone number.
    Im trying to keep the list small so Im only using the most popular breeds.If the breed is not on it contact me and Ill see what I can do.

Afghan Hound----01-8329707

Airedale Terrier---01-4906817

Australian Cattle dog—093-26325

Australian Sheperd Dog—051-561391

Australian Silky Terrier—056-31589

Basset Hound—075-45239

Beagle—046-72489

Bearded Collie—021-4210730

Belgian Shepard Dog—045-482160

Bernese Mountain Dog—021-4888349

Bichon Frise-01-4511480

Border Collie—065-6831854

Border Terrier—0502-35966

Boxer-046-30896

Bulldog—01-4582377

Bull Mastiff—091-550542

Bull Terrier—061-340409

Cairn Terrier—045-891182

Cavalier King Charles-01-8481621

Chihuahua—01-8354154

Chow-Chow—01-8354342

Dachshund—0404-46563
    Dalmatian—01-2801454

Dobermann Pinscher—01-4524896

Fox Terrier—01-6262313

German Shepard—0502-25461/01-6216688

Great Dane—045-431051

Irish Wolfhound—01-8720122

Jack Russell—055-20565

Japanese Akita—056-31995

Japanese Spitz—045-861252

Newfoundland—044-74221

Norwegian Elkhound—01-6210940

Old English Sheepdog—01-4514275

Pekingese—01-8436416

Pointer—056-68941

Pomerian—01-4512657

Poodle—01-8435478

Pug-052-35288

Pyrenean Mountain Dog—062-54148

Retriever-Golden----021-4385101

Retriever-Labrador---01-6685244

Rottweiler—051-895724

Samoyed---0503-48674

Setter-Irish Red&White---028-35461/01-8341537

Shih Tzu
    01-2868353

Siberian Husky---056-33160

Spaniel-American Cocker----01-4512657

Spaniel-Cocker—069-76430

Springer Spaniel-English----061-394036

Staffordshire Bull Terrier---01-2443261

St Bernard----01-2874274

Tibetan Spaniel
    01-8481621

Welsh Corgi
    021-4884207

West Highland Terrier
    046-22259

Yorkshire Terrier----01-4974753

Where is the Greyhounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Can anyone tell me the proper name for weiner dogs and whether or not they are bred in Ireland?, much apprecitaed :)

Yeah, it's "weimaraner" (pronounced vy-mer-anner, it's German).

Clickie

Stunning aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There are many many perfectly lovley greyhounds in rescues in Ireland, they make such great pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Here are a few tips if you choose to buy a purebred dog.

NO1. IKC reg does not gurantee a quality healthy dog, IKG reg are too easy to come by.

NO2. A good breeder breeds for the love of the breed and not for profit so if you see over priced dogs that's not always a good sign of breeding. To avoid huge vet bills and suffering your new pup has to have at least the 1st vax and have been wormed etc.

NO3. Never buy a dog from the side of the road a puppy farm etc always ask to see the mother of the dog and if possible the father also, make sure the animals are kept in clean conditions and are healthy and happy.

NO4. Although pups are cute, consider carefully the breed you are choosing the most commonly bred dogs are dumped in pounds because owners don't realise how much attention they need. Springers, labs and collies etc are all working breeds and need a lot of attention and a lot of excersise.

No5. Always make sure your new pet comes with legit papers and veterinary information like the vax card and hip score etc.

No6. If you are not breeding your pet spay or neuter them and keep their vax up to date, also you must put a collar and name tag with your full address and number on it, regualarly worm and de-flea your dog and microchip if possible.

No7. Keep your dog safe, many many purebred dogs are being stolen out of their gardens and sold or brought to the UK.

No8. Consider adopting a pure bred from a rescue, dont forget to research the breed fully before buying.

No9. Dogs cost money pure bred or cross breed they needs proper food and yearly vax, insurance is always a good idea for any dog or cat. Also seek out a good kennel if you need to go away or a reliable neighbour.

No.10. What ever type of dog you choose they will need basic training to prevent bad habits forming.

Wiener dogs =sausage dogs= daxies I think?? They occasionally come up in rescues and there is a daxie rescue in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As for wolves and their hybrids:

1) Wolves and their hybrids are an internationally protected species ..it's illegal to have one without a special permit

2) A real wolf hybrid would make a lousy pet. They are shy to the extreme, almost unresponsive to your garden variety "doggy training", useless as guards, extremely difficult to confine to one area and potentially dangerous once they have reached puberty, as they can be far more aggressive than your average dog when challenged (by you).

3) What is commonly available as "wolf hybrid" would be either a Saarloos Wolfdog or a Czech Wolfdog. These are dogs that look (almost) like wolves and have real wolves not too far down their ancestry. But even at that, they can be very different from other dogs and are generally not recommended for the novice. Different in as far as they would not conform to the "Jack London" -idea of the loyal-protective-guardian-friend-wolf and be rather shy and stand-offish. And if they were to be aggressive, it would most likely be towards you than against anyone / anything else.

In short:

Not really such a good idea, (unless you really know what you're letting yourself in for)

peasant wrote:
    These are dogs that look (almost) like wolves and have real wolves not too far down their ancestry. But even at that, they can be very different from other dogs and are generally not recommended for the novice. And if they were to be aggressive, it would most likely be towards you than against anyone / anything else.

We have a wolf hybrid malamute, shes a mix between a wolf and an alaskan malamute! We got her mother about 7years ago id say it is now and we didn't realise she was in pup she was so thin but ended up having 9 puppies one died but she looked exactly like a wolf! We kept two one completly white and the other brown and fawn! Say what ya want but the one that passed away recently from epilepsy was just a lil softy at heart and never once had we trouble with him he was like the daddy to our little yorkshire when she was 7weeks old and your telling me they are aggressive in that case we should have a dead yorkie puppy! The sister of the male hybrid is a guard dog for us and the only way she attacks us is with kisses!! Never once got bitten off either of them, and have been bitten off boxers and other "family dogs" ! Nothing to what you are describing them as :D They are the most loyal "dogs" we have ever had.. Weve had a good expierence with them but if you have not expierenced these hybrids you will never know what they are like... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

And where did the wolf father come from? Are you sure it was a wolf? They are not exactly roaming free in Ireland AFAIK :D

also have a read of this:
    http://board.irishanimals.ie/index.php?showtopic=20564

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kkarlos

Aimee_gleeson]We have a wolf hybrid malamute, shes a mix between a wolf and an alaskan malamute! We got her mother about 7years ago id say it is now and we didn't realise she was in pup she was so thin but ended up having 9 puppies one died but she looked exactly like a wolf! We kept two one completly white and the other brown and fawn!

I'm looking to get a wolf hybrid, hopefully.Hope u do'nt mind me asking but where did u get yours?
    Do you know anyone who breeds them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement