Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team in Galway.

• 14-11-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hey folks, I'm wondering if there is an american football team in Galway?? Cheers for any help.
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

used to be a flag one but it seems to have dissapaited, gmit have recently established one, you could set one up in nuig (thin you go there) In which case i could help, I've helped set up the lacrosse club there and am the cpatain of the muay thai club

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

thanks for your reply! i suppose starting a team would be an option. Does anyone know how to go about setting up a team? I can't seem to find any information on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

thanks for your reply! i suppose starting a team would be an option. Does anyone know how to go about setting up a team? I can't seem to find any information on the website.

I coach UCD. Best place for you to start and get info is to go here

http://www.americanfootball.ie/new-teams-sought-for-dv8s-development-league/

Contact email address for the league on the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

If you get a team going leave me know, i'd be interested in joining. Never played it but would be interested!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=99989

Sea Davils might be able to help you guys out. He looked into it a few years ago and as far as I know set up the flag team that was there. Even if he isn't involved now he might be able to throw you in contact with others.

There was this thread also

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72115566

• Advertisement

thanks for your replies tallaght. Ya i'll definitely look into it deisedude, and i'll post back here if i get anywhere with it!

thanks for your replies tallaght. Ya i'll definitely look into it deisedude, and i'll post back here if i get anywhere with it!

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Check your PM's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If you were willing to travel (1 1/2 hr), you could always try out for the UL Vikings. One of the best teams in the country and I don't think you have to be a student to play.

I just set up a page on Facebook to gauge interest.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NUIG-American-Football/288778991155884

Please like it!!:D

• Advertisement

I just set up a page on Facebook to gauge interest.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NUIG-American-Football/288778991155884

Please like it!!:D

Do you have to be an NuiG student because that would rule me out?:(

Probably not, we haven't decided on anything like that at all yet!! I know in other clubs in the college you don't have to be a student to join so I can't see why this one, if it comes to fruition, would be any different!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Would love this so much, even if it just started as throwing a football around between a few guys once a week

ya hopefully it'll get going. We have had decent interest so far that page was set up only earlier today and we have 20something people who have expressed interest any real advertising or effort! our original goal was 20 because seemingly thats how many you need for the sports desk to even look at you application and seeming as we are over that now the next stop is the sports desk:cool:

Throw up a post on the Leagues forum:

www.iafs.co.uk

will do tallaght!! Do you know where we could price reasonably priced gear? Or could we get it off other irish clubs second hand?! I can't remember which website I saw it on but a set was 260 or 270 pounds!!

will do tallaght!! Do you know where we could price reasonably priced gear? Or could we get it off other irish clubs second hand?! I can't remember which website I saw it on but a set was 260 or 270 pounds!!

Unfortunately if you buy new this side of the Atlantic there is no reasonably priced equipment. But getting from the US you will pay customs on large orders so there is really no win win situation. It is an expensive sport but that first set of equipment you buy is a 3-4 year investment minimum. And its a great sport to play.

http://americansportsireland.com/shop/american-football-shoulder-pads/american-football-starter-packs.html

This guy is based up North and is one of the Coaches of the Belfast Trojans. Only new site but he is doing some deals.

What I would say to you though set your team up first and get guys going as a flag team and build a base of guys before you bother buying pads and the like.

As someone who ran a team I know how hard it is to do so and how easy it can all fall apart. If you need any advice send me an email coachjohncollins(at)gmail.com

When you guys do get setup UCD will be more than willing to go help you guys get going with practice etc etc and give your guys a taste of the game. Also an excuse for a weekend in Galway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

For the equipment i have WR pads and helmet as does my mate, we got them 2nd hand from a supplier in Texas, 140 for the helmet and pads, if you want i could get the suppliers info! i think you need an order over 10 though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Il Play! (if thats ok) :D always fancied myself as a bit of a eli maning?

Shane.C wrote: »
    For the equipment i have WR pads and helmet as does my mate, we got them 2nd hand from a supplier in Texas, 140 for the helmet and pads, if you want i could get the suppliers info! i think you need an order over 10 though!

Ya the supplier info would be good, just to see how much an order would cost! Its looking like me may have to start off as a flag team for a few months just to get this working and to see if we are doing things half right at least! Would ye be still interested in that or would that be too low of a standard for ye?

• Advertisement

@wiger everyone is welcome to play! Even if you'll be as bad as eli manning;P Tell your friends about it too and keep an eye on the facebook page, thats where we'll be posting our news once we get going!

www.footballamericana.com

Be careful with this site though. He has a weird policy of not caring if your stuff goes missing in transit internationally. We were all set to use him once until he told us he takes no responsibility for missing goods or replace them if the courier loses them. If you go with him make sure you get the stuff sent by a proper carrier like UPS or DHL etc and pay him the extra cash to get them sent right.

Yea thats the website, thanks tallaght, the delivery process went perfect for us!

Never mind the standard thing, if we get going as a flag team first, get an initial group of guys together consistently over a period of time then we could give the development league a go! I just wanna get out there again and play some FOOTBALL!

Yea thats the website, thanks tallaght, the delivery process went perfect for us!

Id say for the most part it probably would but in UCD the lads were given a grant by the school so had they ordered stuff and it went missing the school would be pissed. That doubt was enough for our teams committee to say fook it and go to a proper place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I'm interested in this, but i'm not an NUIG student.

Molly wrote: »
    I'm interested in this, but i'm not an NUIG student.

Thats ok, just keep an eye on the facebook page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

@wiger everyone is welcome to play! Even if you'll be as bad as eli manning;P Tell your friends about it too and keep an eye on the facebook page, thats where we'll be posting our news once we get going!

Ha! Ha! Ha! MVP after season one, guaranteed:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Would love to pick the sport up for a while! Pity football gets in my way though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Count me in too I think. I can probably get a couple of friends involved also

Advertisement