Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local priest offers prayers for Gaddafi

• 25-10-2011 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Fr Dinny defends offering prayers for slain Gaddafi at Mass

A PARISH priest has defended offering prayers for Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, writes Cronan Scanlon.

On Sunday, he was prayed for at Mass in St Eunan's Church, Raphoe, Co Donegal, by well-known priest Fr Dinny McGettigan.

Fr McGettigan (72) said he had no problem praying for the dictator who had earned the nickname 'Mad Dog'.

"I just mentioned his name along with the names of the other people from our parish who recently died.

"I would pray for anyone, so I have no problem whatsoever praying for Muammar Gaddafi," Fr McGettigan said.

Asked if he thought it was all right to pray for the soul of a man who murdered, maimed and oppressed Libyan citizens for four decades, Fr Dinny said: "That's all the more reason to pray for him."

One parishioner said: "It bothered no one. Fr Dinny is a very Christian man."

from the indo website,

personally if i was there at the time i woulda walked outta the place.

whatever his own views on the matter i think they should have been private. adding him to prayers during mass really would limit whatever "free will" people in the congragation might have.

who knows who could have been affected by such a monster were in the congragation at the time.

be it someone killed by arms bought from libya, relations either on board or on the ground at Lockerbie Scotland or anyone with friends or family in libya.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

In the Times they made him sound kinda Irish by calling him GADAFY ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

irish1967 wrote: »
    In the Times they made him sound kinda Irish by calling him GADAFY ! ;)

Yeah i think i heard that The Irish Times spelt it wrong ages ago so now have stuck with it since
    Our spelling has also prompted a debate thread on Boards.ie, while the good folk at Broadsheet.ie helpfully point out that a Google search reveals that we’re the only news organisation to use this version. ‘It’s a solo run, dude,’ they comment.

Perhaps so. But, as our Foreign Correspondent Mary Fitzgerald points out in a recent tweet, “transliteration from the Arabic throws up several possible phonetic spellings…so New York Times uses el-Qaddafi, BBC uses Gaddafi, LA Times use Kadafi”

And, according to this 2009 post from ABC News, there are 112 different English-language spellings of Gadafy’s name on record.

Having discussed the matter with our Foreign Editor, it appears the Irish Times version is the same as that used by the Guardian up until a couple of years ago (it now prefers Gaddafi). To my eyes, our version looks slightly archaic, perhaps even contrarian, but to describe it as ‘wrong’ would be, er, wrong.

from here http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/mechanicalturk/2011/02/22/you-say-gaddafi-we-say-gadafy-lets-call-the-whole-thing-off/

nice to see boards mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Well the fact that our media cant even agree on how to spell his name shows how little they genuinley know about him...he never deserved to die that way ..if he was guilty of those crimes he shouldve been put through a trial first... but its my understanding that very powerful figures in the west would be fearful of what he could tell.. the way he was murdered was inhumane and barbaric & they still have his body lying 5 days after his death for people to come in and gawk at.

Now im no big fan of the catholic church -i am a catholic but in name only- but maybe the priest was acting out of genuine compassion as a christian? I dunno .. its a thorny issue but its not as black and white as the western media make it out to be thats for sure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

people are so zoned out at mass that the priest could be offering prayers for Joseph Stalin and Hitler and they wouldn't realise it

people are so zoned out at mass that the priest could be offering prayers for Joseph Stalin and Hitler and they wouldn't realise it

true nut seeing as priests are supposed to be upstanding members of the community and the moral compass for the parish most people despite being on autopilot will think that the priest is saying the usual

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    -i am a catholic but in name only-
    What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I can't see the problem the priest offers prayers for a dead man . Big deal if he gave a sermon praising him then fine but saying a prayer for the soul of someone who died is a Christian thing to do . Finally all these atrocities that gaddafi carried out you don't read about them much do you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

I'm hardly a devote christian haven't been to mass since easter but isn't god supposed to be all forgiving ? the priest was just applying that logic and praying for what ever sins gadaffi may have commited ?
    Personally I find the jeering and celebrations to be much more in bad taste a man was murdered with out a trial then shown off as a trophy , surely nato should have enforced the geniva convention and respected his body and returned it to his tribe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

honestly seems like a very christian thing to do more priests should follow more to the likes of "what would jesus do"

Ultimately the essence of the faith has been about showing love and compassion to everyone, jesus spent his life working with those who the rest of society shunned.

if the catholic church stuck more to the message of love and forgiveness, it wouldn't be having the kind of problems that it's having and alienating so many people.

P.S. I'm not a catholic but was raised one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I'm hardly a devote christian haven't been to mass since easter but isn't god supposed to be all forgiving ? the priest was just applying that logic and praying for what ever sins gadaffi may have commited ?

Have to agree. I dont go to mass etc however those that do are supposed to be good Christians etc - surely thats what all the teachings are about - all forgiving or is it just easier to forgive and pray for good people??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

The bible teaches forgiveness so he was really just following it's word. In any case, he wasn't saying "Gaddafi (choose how you want to spell it, taking from their language isn't simple) was a good man and should have been left alone", he was just mourning a death of a human life, not the person.

I agree with Fibbles.

Btw, I too was raised a Catholic but I definately am not one now. That's why I'm curious when some say they are Catholic in name only. I'm sure there are many threads about this already so I'll toodle off to them.

catbear wrote: »
    What does that mean?
    Well it means i was christened a Catholic... did all the sacraments etc but now i dont go to mass & im dissillusioned with the Catholic Church .. & with some of the stuff they have been at in this country alone how couldnt you be??

Yet i wouldnt say ive lost my faith completley i just dont see the point in attending weekly mass.. like when it comes to the census i ticked the box Catholic but the local priest doesnt know me from adam & im quite happy to keep it that way.

but would the same be said the week Osama was killed? what about Ian huntly? Gary Glitter? etc etc etc.

I stick to my original point and that not knowing the background of EVERY person in the church at the time a lot of people could have been very offended by his remarks. Yes the catholic faith means forgiveness but that is something you should do in your own time not being forced into a mass mass prayer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

danniemcq wrote: »
    Yes the catholic faith means forgiveness but that is something you should do in your own time not being forced into a mass mass prayer

But yet you have no objection being 'forced' to pray for john smith down the road who you know nothing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Stay on topic here lads which is about a local cc in Letterkenny offering prayers at Sunday mass for Gadaffi.

Yet i wouldnt say ive lost my faith completley i just dont see the point in attending weekly mass.. like when it comes to the census i ticked the box Catholic but the local priest doesnt know me from adam & im quite happy to keep it that way.
    But there's the rub! When they do something that you strongly disagree with, they can say that they did it your name as you have indicated that you are a member of their organisation, regardless of what way you like.
    I'm strongly in favour of the German system of church tithes being taken from your income tax, that way Catholics can pay for the sins of their organisation while those unaffiliated aren't robbed.
    It's the fairest system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I can't see the problem the priest offers prayers for a dead man . Big deal if he gave a sermon praising him then fine but saying a prayer for the soul of someone who died is a Christian thing to do . Finally all these atrocities that gaddafi carried out you don't read about them much do you ?

Yeah, I mean what's that Lockerbie all about, or arms to the RA or PC Yvonne Fletcher :rolleyes:

But there's the rub! When they do something that you strongly disagree with, they can say that they did it your name as you have indicated that you are a member of their organisation, regardless of what way you like.
    I'm strongly in favour of the German system of church tithes being taken from your income tax, that way Catholics can pay for the sins of their organisation while those unaffiliated aren't robbed.
    It's the fairest system.
    old hippy wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean what's that Lockerbie all about, or arms to the RA or PC Yvonne Fletcher :rolleyes:
    Warnings given for both off topic posts .

Any more and it will be the ban stick.

• Advertisement

It's the fairest system.
    deleted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

muffler wrote: »
    Warnings given for both off topic posts .

Any more and it will be the ban stick.

Priest offers prayers for international terrorist, then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

Shock Horror!
    Fr Dinny - just doing his Job and upholding Christian teachings.

Can't say I agree with him but I think he is reminding Catholics of the faith they signed up for; however uncomfortable that may be for them.

surely gaddafis alleged involvment in the lockerbie bombing,libyan embassy siege etc & the catholic church are both what the original topic is about??

surely gaddafis alleged involvment in the lockerbie bombing,libyan embassy siege etc & the catholic church are both what the original topic is about??
    This is the last of the warnings. If you cant post on topic then dont post at all.

Disputing a moderators instructions on thread is always going to end up badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Users here have been getting bold recently! I don't personally agree with what the fr did, but he was well within his right. He could have prayed for osama, or hitler, but he still is praying and offering prayer in accordance with the bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

The priest in question is an attention seeking moron. Why single out the Libyan (unsure of the spelling)? Are there not other people who died that his congregation may have known that would have made for a more meaningful prayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I got baptised and had my first holy communion done by this man, he is a genuinely compassionate man. I no longer believe in god but he wasnt doing it to be "attention-seeking", this is a man who prayed for the man which stabbed him and nearly killed him.

<SNIP>

Mod edit: See my post a little further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Is this the same priest that prayed for sadam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

In fairness to Fr Dinny he was here in Carrick for years and he is one of the holiest men I have ever met so I don't see the big deal this is just one of his ways, a very nice holy man would would not say anything bad about anyone even about the person who stabbed him a few years ago in Raphoe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement