Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deveneys Beer Festival 2010 - 20th Aug @ The Pod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 brickmaster

Its says that you can buy tickets in Deveney's, online or in selected off licenses.
    Does that mean that they won't be available at the door?
    Anyone know who the off licenses are? Redmonds in Ranelgh?

I don't really want to buy online as I'm having trougble with my paypal account and I'm not arsed going out to dundrum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Does that mean that they won't be available at the door?
    Yes.
    Anyone know who the off licenses are?
    There's a list here:
    - Redmond's of Ranelagh
    - Jus de Vin, Portmarnock
    - The Vintry, Rathgar
    - Deveney's of Rathmines
    - Sweeney's of Phibsboro

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Got tickets for this. They sold over 700..
    Any recommendations on beers or ciders to try?? Thanks.

Hondo75 wrote: »
    Any recommendations on beers or ciders to try?
    Is there a list of what they'll have? I'm only seeing a brewery list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If anyone's looking for a last minute ticket to this - The Vintry in Rathgar are the only place with tickets left, it's sold out everywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Feu

heya, just saw the thread now. Went to the beer festival last night, and it was a great night.

I've got to say, i'm a wee bit surprised [or maybe not!] at the attitude over the price. Yes, the tickets were 20 blips but I was excited to go to an event like that, it was an opportunity to try lots of different beers, talk to micro-brewers, who were all lovely and very knowledgeable, and meet some interesting people.

Yes, it's a recession, but i'm [as a student!] still willing to pay €20 for what i anticipated would be a good night. Are people just so cynical and begrudging now that the thought that they might get ripped off prevents them from trying something new out? [this isn't actually a request for flames, i'm genuinely interested :pac: ]

or maybe because i'm a woman, who is irrational!, i'm less practical and just thought of the whole evening as a package, rather than how many mililitres of beer specifically i would get per euro.

No, i don't think this kind of event should be an oppportunity to rip people off, but that said, it was a bit of a risk for them, and i'm sure a good deal of work to put together, so yes, the tickets cost money. And it was in Crawdaddy/POD so i'm sure that's pricey enough to rent out.

also, i see several posters mention that you could buy so many beers at the off license for this amount, and taste them yourselves at home. But how often do you do that? Go to the off license and genuinely buy 5 or 6 new beers? I might try 1 new one a week, but then i'm brand new to the forum, so maybe ye are? :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Feu wrote: »
    heya, just saw the thread now. Went to the beer festival last night, and it was a great night.

Good for you. As much as I didn't like the price, I didn't want to see it fall flat on its face either.
    I've got to say, i'm a wee bit surprised [or maybe not!] at the attitude over the price. Yes, the tickets were 20 blips but I was excited to go to an event like that, it was an opportunity to try lots of different beers, talk to micro-brewers, who were all lovely and very knowledgeable, and meet some interesting people.

Yes, it's a recession, but i'm [as a student!] still willing to pay €20 for what i anticipated would be a good night. Are people just so cynical and begrudging now that the thought that they might get ripped off prevents them from trying something new out? [this isn't actually a request for flames, i'm genuinely interested :pac: ]

There are a few things to it:
    1) I don't like paying what is essentially a cover charge of 12.50. If it was a flat 1.50 for a small beer then I'd be happy. I should say I don't like paying cover charges wherever I go as we are already paying far too much for a pint in Irish pubs/clubs;

2) I'm not massively interested in the "good night" part of it. My idea of a good beer tasting would be to taste different beers with a few friends. I'm more interested in trying something new than being told that a certain beer has extra hops or whatever, especially since I can usually read this on the label. Plus, paying for the night suggests an element of exclusivity to me;

3) If it was free in or at least no differently priced than another pub, it would be a great way to get people who normally only drink the same beer to try different things or, at the very least, to come along and tolerate a few different drinks before reverting to their favourite. The high cost makes it hard to convince other people to come, in other words.
    No, i don't think this kind of event should be an oppportunity to rip people off, but that said, it was a bit of a risk for them, and i'm sure a good deal of work to put together, so yes, the tickets cost money. And it was in Crawdaddy/POD so i'm sure that's pricey enough to rent out.

Given the turnout I'm not sure it was that much of a risk - i.e. lots of grumbling about value but yet sold out in advance. This is not their first one either so they know what to expect. Equally, I would expect the breweries to fork out a bit to get their name known. Not a massive amount, but just enough.
    also, i see several posters mention that you could buy so many beers at the off license for this amount, and taste them yourselves at home. But how often do you do that? Go to the off license and genuinely buy 5 or 6 new beers? I might try 1 new one a week, but then i'm brand new to the forum, so maybe ye are? :D

Occasionally. But the point is not to drink 5 or 6 different beers in the one night, but to try them over time. Mashing them all into one overpriced night is only good for the novelty, in my opinion.

nice reply thanks Johnny :)

[/QUOTE] tbh i was kind of thrilled it did so well, as it might encourage other similar events, and even the brewers themselves that there's a market for that kind of event.
    1) I don't like paying what is essentially a cover charge of 12.50. If it was a flat 1.50 for a small beer then I'd be happy. I should say I don't like paying cover charges wherever I go as we are already paying far too much for a pint in Irish pubs/clubs;
    yeh, i agree there shouldn't be a cover charge for pubs or whatever, but i suppose it wasn't a 'normal' night, as in, there was some 'organisation' to it.
    2) I'm not massively interested in the "good night" part of it. My idea of a good beer tasting would be to taste different beers with a few friends. I'm more interested in trying something new than being told that a certain beer has extra hops or whatever, especially since I can usually read this on the label. Plus, paying for the night suggests an element of exclusivity to me;
    maybe i was not clear - my 'good night' part was what i meant by new beers, interesting people and talking to the brewers - good night for me anyway :D
    3) If it was free in or at least no differently priced than another pub, it would be a great way to get people who normally only drink the same beer to try different things or, at the very least, to come along and tolerate a few different drinks before reverting to their favourite. The high cost makes it hard to convince other people to come, in other words.
    You're dead right, it obviously did put people off going as above posters!!!
    Given the turnout I'm not sure it was that much of a risk - i.e. lots of grumbling about value but yet sold out in advance. This is not their first one either so they know what to expect. Equally, I would expect the breweries to fork out a bit to get their name known. Not a massive amount, but just enough.
    well they had a night in bull n castle but i think that was like 60-80 people, and on their own territory i.e. a real beer drinkers pub, and that was for charity, so quite different really, so it's my feeling it was a bit of a gamble, i mean obviously it did well, but given your own arguments, it could have fallen flat on its face too, no? ;)

Occasionally. But the point is not to drink 5 or 6 different beers in the one night, but to try them over time. Mashing them all into one overpriced night is only good for the novelty, in my opinion.
    i totally agree, but posters appeared to be arguing that they could just do the same at home, but it's not really the same is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I was always going along, bought ticket very early on. huge crowd, very diverse group of folk. surprised by how many girls were there drinking beer also. excellent entertainment provided by prison love and a girl whose name escapes me, glasses to be won in paulaner pouring game, loads of keyrings to be had and even some beers is never had (e.g. innis and gunne rum cask mmm)
    I feel like I got my value for money, as did the two mates I went along with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tgs

I went along on Friday night, and had a great time. I've been to a few beer festivals in the UK organised by Camra, and loved them. That said, this was a very different affair.

The things I liked:

- There was a great selection and a wide variety of beers on offer
    - The atmosphere was very positive - everyone was very chatty
    - The music was excellent - Prison Love gave two very entertaining sets
    - The sample sizes for the price were generally quite generous. Forget about €1.50 per X ml - all of the people there poured with a free hand

The things that I think could be improved:

- It was very crowded. Thankfully the rain held off, so the outside area got full use.
    - The beer map provided listed the beers by table, but the labels on the tables were at knee height, so you couldn't see them when it got crowded

I'll be back next year if I can!

• Advertisement

tgs wrote: »
    the labels on the tables were at knee height, so you couldn't see them when it got crowded
    :D That's the second time this year I've heard that complaint about an Irish beer festival. Hopefully both events will learn from it for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I really enjoyed it too, and got to take home a souveneir Paulaner glass and some Brew Dog goodies. Nice to speak to the Dungarvan guys and try some interesting beers that I would normally pass by in the offie. Beer of the night was Tokyo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

It's good to hear that people thought it was worth going to. I suppose these festivals need to build a rep and by the sounds of it they are heading the right way.

tgs wrote: »
    - The beer map provided listed the beers by table, but the labels on the tables were at knee height, so you couldn't see them when it got crowded

fine height for me!!! though it was a bit dark in the third room in, where the paulaner/dungarvan stands were

beer of the night was Weavers Gold for me, from the Clanconnel Brewing Company [on same table as the Dungarvan folks]. A 'blond' Ale, not as bitter as some pale ales, but malty and quite dry. Nyom nyom. The fella said it will be available "down south" by the end of the month. So i'll be keeping my eyes peeled in redmonds and deveneys :D

glad to hear reports from people who were there and enjoyed it too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I thought it was a great night and my non-beer afficionado cousins really enjoyed it too. There was a great vibe about the place the music was great and a really nice selection of beers. Can't agree about the Tokyo* thought it was way too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I'd definitely go again. Enjoyed it a lot. Tasted lots of nice beers.

Schneiderweiss stuff might have been my favourite. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nominal

So no beer fest this September???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

nominal wrote: »
    So no beer fest this September???

No, Board Bia moved it to the bloom festival earlier in the summer, but the organisers of the festival have nothing to do with bloom

Thats sad, I was there the last 2 years, everyone had great fun and I witnessed no trouble!

The breweries decided to hold their own September festival instead. It was at the Curragh last weekend.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. Great to have a beer festival in the Curragh but whats wrong with one in Dublin? I decided not to go to Oktoberfest this year for 2 reasons a) Septemberfest; b) no money... i'll have to start saving for next years Oktoberfest!

Is this the beer festival in farmleigh? I missed it the last 2 years and said i was definitely going to go this year! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is this the beer festival in farmleigh? I missed it the last 2 years and said i was definitely going to go this year! :(

doh_homer_simpson-1084.jpg

whats wrong with one in Dublin?
    Where would you have it?

It's all very well when Bord Bia and the OPW can give you Farmleigh for a couple of days, but for the breweries to rent a licensed venue in Dublin would drive the overheads sky high. You'd get the obligatory its-too-expensive thread on here.

They did well to get the Curragh on board for Thorough Brew.

@BeerNut: Its true it would be expensive, if I had a choice I'd say St. Annes park - i know it would never happen. What happened with Farmleigh? Anybody know? It was a grand venue - nice long walk to and from it = clear head by the time you're back in the big smoke => less trouble caused!

i know it would never happen
    Well that kinda answers "what's wrong with one in Dublin".

I hope some day to organise something like this, but getting a venue in a practical location for a workable price is the firt, seemingly insurmountable, problem.
    What happened with Farmleigh? Anybody know?
    Probably a budgetary thing. As obvious mentioned, they took the decision to combine Septemberfest with Bloom.

We need a wealthy landowner who is a fan of craft beer who can donate a site etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Saruman wrote: »
    We need a wealthy landowner who is a fan of craft beer who can donate a site etc.

An willing to fork out as massive premium for public liability insurance

Indeed.... any takers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Sorry for bringing up this old thread.

There were a few comments about the
    1. price of beers at beer festivals, in particular with respect to vouchers, and
    2. 'non-authentic' beer festivals

There is a beer festival in West Kerry (which admittedly I am involved in) which might hold some interest for those of you concerned with 1. although I couldn't recommend it to the number 2. cohort.

I don't want to name the festival or put up a link myself as I imagine that blatant advertising isn't welcome here and I won't give any more details whatsoever bar our proposed beer list and pricing (the beer list is not finalised although these would be the prices in line with other years):

All of these would be €4 a bottle and you can buy six vouchers for €20 --- NOT ripping people off but giving serious value. 330 or 300 ml bottles unless stated otherwise:

Rebel Red Bottle 500 ml
    La Trappe: Quadrupel, Tripel, Dubbel, Blond
    Triple Chocoholic 500 ml
    500 ml Lech Bottle
    500 ml Tyskie Bottle
    Kirin
    Tsingtao
    Singha
    Mac's Gold
    Moosehead
    Toohey's Extra Dry
    Victoria Bitter
    Steinlager
    Desperados

We would love to serve the following at this price also but it looks like we might have to price it at €5 and we're not sure how this works with a coupon yet:
    West Kerry Brewery: Porter, Dark Ale, Golden Ale 500 ml bottles

Tom Crean's Irish Premium Lager --- no information on price maybe something like €4.25?

Advertisement