Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A plea to Ganley to enter the Dáil!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What an inditement of irish politics! lol

Irish politics is one big joke. Family after family getting their inlaws involved you know. Anyone not in the inner circle is treated like an outcast.

This I'm in total agreement with.

The Irish main stream top parties TOTALLY fear anything new. Its an unknown element that might rock the boat and their first reaction is of course, self-preservation.
    So they ALL enmass attempt to shoot anything down before it has the chance to progress further.
    For them its "Better the devil you know than the one you don't"

Anyone considering entering the political arena better know this BIG time, just what's a head and just as important - prepare for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

darkman2 wrote: »
    I reckon we need a Ganley in the Dáil - what do you think? A bit of democracy and accountability does no harm.
    ask the albanians who lost their money with him. They will give some good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Biggins wrote: »
    So they ALL enmass attempt to shoot anything down before it has the chance to progress further.
    We've experienced a lot of this ourselves in AN, as they say - there's no such thing as bad PR. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

stakey wrote: »

That was brilliant.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You guys really hate ganley don't you. He represents everything you could never be. Honest.

It drives you crazy to see someone calling you on your bull. Thats why you reserve all your venom for him. Its ok to admit the truth because it can be seen in your words. Calling him a snake oil salesman thats really very funny coming from some of you guys who support the current crop of absolute excuses for humanity we have in government. When your finished bootlicking they have a space reserved for you in the carlot. You can drive them home from work maybe pick up a penny or two!

Few on here support the current crop, just read a few posts.

Most people though, prefer to vote on policies than voting for someone because of who he is.

Ganley doesn't seem to have any domestic policies or ideas on how to solve our current crisis and the only thing we do know about him is that he didn't like Lisbon. Given Lisbon was just overwhelmingly supported by the public in the recent referendum, the only thing most people know about Ganley they don't agree with him on so why would they vote for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

thebman wrote: »
    Most people though, prefer to vote on policies than voting for someone because of who he is.
    I only wish that were true but the litany of relatives in the Dail says otherwise. we all know the place is full of children of dead TDs. I was happy the people of Dublin South told Seamus Brennan's son to take a hike but this is unusual I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

most irish people vote based on which party thier family tree votes for , policys come a distant second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

irish_bob wrote: »
    most irish people vote based on which party thier family tree votes for , policys come a distant second

Its really not that simple. People views on issues to a large extent is shaped by the family they grow up with. So if you grow in say a Labour household than you probably end up having left of centre views. That leads you to vote for a left of centre party, like Labour.

So the correlation is there between how your parents voted and how their children vote but it is not as straightforward a process a the 'blind loyaly' theory would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

If you truly object to the entirety of the Irish political mainstream, why settle on an individual with dubious business credentials simply because he's the loudest man on the planet? Failing to find appropriate representation within what's readily available should not throw you into the arms of a man whose political life has been largely bankrolled by hedge funds and often British based, right wing lobby groups. Look for real idealism or demand it because settling for Ganley would be the laziest (or at least the most misguided) application of a counterculture ideology in the history of everything ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    im in favour of war criminals being charged with what they deserve

he urged Bush to start the war

he could have told him "no this is a bad idea" and Bush would have had to listen, no need for a coup d'état

and now this guy and others from Bush'es inner circle are working for Ganley

tho in hindsight removing Bush would have save north of a million lives in Iraq alone

:mad:

it's sort of funny that some of those pushing for a yes vote to the Lisbon Treaty, who were virulently opposed to him because of this, would actually agree 100 per cent with him on the Iraq War.
    mikemac wrote: »
    He said he was stepping away from politics after being rejected by the electorate in the European elections.

And then he comes back again....

He was either lying to us or just changing his plans and has no idea what he plans to do.
    Why not make a decision and stick with it?

should we only focus on the u-turns and the shady aspects of those we are opposed to?
    i ask because Scofflaw found Ganley's u-turn amusing, but he didn't see fit to say anything about Eamon Gilmore's. it seems to me bias has a nasty habit of getting in the way of consistency

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

irish_bob wrote: »
    Where do you base this on?
    Or are we talking about your road in your neighbourhood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

it's sort of funny that some of those pushing for a yes vote to the Lisbon Treaty, who were virulently opposed to him because of this, would actually agree 100 per cent with him on the Iraq War.

agree with him on the Iraq war?

wtf the guy is selling weapons

he shouldnt be allowed near politics

he has no policies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'd sooner have Michael O'Leary in the Dail than Deco Ganley

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

duploelabs wrote: »
    I'd sooner have Michael O'Leary in the Dail than Deco Ganley

That's a Scylla and Charybdis choice: which monster do you want to destroy you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

That's a Scylla and Charybdis choice: which monster do you want to destroy you?

Michael O'Leary is not a monster ; he is head of one of the most successful companies and employers ever to come out of Ireland, and the hundreds of millions of tax he and his company has paid has ensured your pension is as high as it is. Would you prefer if the flying situation was the same as 30 years ago, when it cost 180 pounds ( a lot of money then ) to fly to the UK with the unionised state monopoly carrier, Aer Lingus ? Ryanair is very successful and we should be proud of that, and it has ensured many people can avail of reasonably priced flights, which has helped to stimulate our tourism industry over the years. What other Irish home grown company is a leader in its sector in Europe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

O'Leary has been great for Irish business I agree, but I dunno about putting him in power... he would probably sort out the country's finances in a month and slash waiting lists, but at some sort of inconceivably humiliating cost... He would still be better than Ganley though.

cornbb wrote: »
    O'Leary has been great for Irish business I agree, but I dunno about putting him in power... he would probably sort out the country's finances in a month and slash waiting lists,

Good enough reason to have him in power so !

If you want to talk about humiliation, nothing could be more humiliating that having the sort of government / p.s running the country the way it has over the past few years. Nothing is more humiliating than seeing people whose lives have been destroyed, people with savings + pensions made worthless, people in huge negative equity, and a system where now enterprise, risk-taking and hard work is a less desirable option for most school leavers than a career in the p.s. Ask any self employed person who is not entitled to the dole.

jimmmy wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary is not a monster ; he is head of one of the most successful companies and employers ever to come out of Ireland, and the hundreds of millions of tax he and his company has paid has ensured your pension is as high as it is.
    He's a superb businessman, nobody can deny his acumen in that area, but you can't run a country like a business. There are so many social considerations to keep in mind - for example what value would he place on the arts or social welfare? Give him power over the legislature and what would he do with it? Hes doing fine where he is, leave him there would be my opinion.

Ganley likewise appears to be a good businessman, but nobody seems quite sure what his business is, except that it involves the US military, an organisation very well known for getting involved in politics outside the US. We don't want or need to be second guessing any decisions he might make as to why he's doing what hes doing. In any case he's been tainted by his association with Libertas and their right wing alliances around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Ganley is the ultimate bad guy with a huge amount of charisma and sinister level of intelligence. He reminds me of Vince McMahon.

He came from nowhere, never had any political support and all of a sudden he is on all the primetime media shows debating government ministers.

Ganley is a very good example of how referendums can be subverted by people who skip the usual hurdles of politics i.e. watching your *ss, having to give people bad news, having to make tough decisions having to stand over promises you were never able to keep and just come in right at the top.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    He's a superb businessman, nobody can deny his acumen in that area, but you can't run a country like a business.
    A business means controlling income + expenditure, and striving to keep everyone happy : all successful countries do that. Its time our country was ran like a business. Look at Singapore.
    There are so many social considerations to keep in mind - for example what value would he place on the arts or social welfare?
    He might abolish the tax emption for artists, + some of the grants. awwwwww. Artists + write may now have to pay tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Michael O'Leary is not a monster ; he is head of one of the most successful companies and employers ever to come out of Ireland, and the hundreds of millions of tax he and his company has paid has ensured your pension is as high as it is...

Leave my personal circumstances out of this; they are not relevant here.

A business means controlling income + expenditure, and striving to keep everyone happy : all successful countries do that. Its time our country was ran like a business. Look at Singapore.
    Singapore has been a one party state since 1959, and the PAP hold onto power ruthlessly, unless you are advocating Ireland move politically towards an autocracy? Social welfare is an example of one area which has no place in business, so no, you can't run a country like a business, since businesses are autocratic entities with no place for a democratic voice or social needs.
    He might abolish the tax emption for artists, + some of the grants. awwwwww. Artists + write may now have to pay tax.
    I was referring more to support for the arts than their tax exemptions.

Even though I do not receive cheques from the government, I certainly appreciate the hundreds of millions of tax he and his company has paid here over the years. Its a pity not all of those who receive money from the government hold him in high esteem, given his achievements / all he has done for Ireland. We could do with a few more Michael O'Leary's in Ireland, inc one to run the government.

He's good at paying tax. I wouldn't vote for him to spend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Right! Things that can be said about him...

Ganley - Pro's:
    * He's a businessman.
    * He can speak well in general terms.
    * He's a dab hand at dealing with media.
    * He can speak about one particular subject.

Ganley - Cons:
    * He has outlined NOTHING in regards to running a state, all its various departments, social aspects, etc, except for one single issue within one area.
    * In this country he is on one side of an issue yet in Europe he appears to be on the other side when it suits him!
    * He himself appears to be unsure one week to another if he is British or Irish - except when its convenient!

Ganley - The Unknowns:
    * Who is ALL is backers?
    * Who is lobbying him and more importantly - why? (what is their agenda?)...
    * Why is he so mixed up with the American military? (What is their agenda in relation to Ireland?)
    * Why is only some of his details known - when the rest is classified by the Americans and again, why?
    * He wants Ireland to be an individual stand alone nation but integrated into larger EU - Say huh??? :confused:

My Conclusion: with all the above - he's far too much of an unknown for me.
    I don't know where he honestly stands.
    I don't trust him.
    He's said bugger all about what way he thinks in relation to other policy areas.
    He is spare with the truth.
    He's no beginner when it comes to tax dodging!

There is just too many questions...

you can't run a country like a business
    You are right. The country should borrow as much as possible, and pay itself+ its employees the highest wages in the known world. It should allow its many politicans ( the highest ratio in the Europe....one td for each 21,000 electorate ) plenty of expenses etc, and its fas director to go on plenty of junkets around the world. It seems to be working. :rolleyes:
    I was referring more to support for the arts than their tax exemptions.
    Its great supporting arts, but the country is borrowing 20 to 25 billion a year and the countries health system + educational system often leaves a lot to be desired. There are people here getting handouts + grants the like of which is unseen in many other countries : likewise our system where millionaire writers, artists and musicians pay no income tax means the burden is heavier on the ordinary person in the wealth creating sector.

You can fix every problem in the country without having to go overboard on the other side of the boat.

He's good at paying tax.

he has probably paid hundreds of millions, and created thousands of jobs, and brought millions of tourists to the country, and lowered fares ( remember paying £ 180 and £ 200 in the '80s to go with unionised Aer Lingus to London:D )

I wouldn't vote for him to spend it.
    Nope, you would vote for the government + the p.s. sector to spend the money, which is what they do. Great value for money the citizen gets as well ( looking at the defecit, the state of our hospitals + schools etc ).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Even though I do not receive cheques from the government, I certainly appreciate the hundreds of millions of tax he and his company has paid here over the years. Its a pity not all of those who receive money from the government hold him in high esteem, given his achievements / all he has done for Ireland. We could do with a few more Michael O'Leary's in Ireland, inc one to run the government.

jimmmy, other posters' personal circumstances are not germane. You've been asked to leave out the snide personal remarks - if you can't, we can easily escalate this.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Nope, you would vote for the government + the p.s. sector to spend the money, which is what they do. Great value for money the citizen gets as well ( looking at the defecit, the state of our hospitals + schools etc ).
    I don't want this government to spend the money. Saying Ganley or O'Leary aren't right for the job isn't an endorsement of the wahoos we have in power at the moment.

Advertisement