Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which are the most suitable puncture resistant tyres?

• 08-06-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I meant to swap out the current Vittoria Zaffiro tyres on my road bike BEFORE I got a puncture but never got around to it, so got a puncture yesterday and another today :mad:

So, based on using the bike 80% commuting into Dublin city centre, 11km each way, and the rest weekend spins. No racing and not overly concerned about max speed. Puncture resistance and wet grip are top of the list of priorities, although I rarely tear around corners at in the wet anyway.

Which do people recommend:

1. Continental GatorHardshell
    2. Continental GatorSkin
    3. Continental GP4000S
    4. Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Vectran

Also, currently running 23's, would 25's be a better bet for my use?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Following a similar thread last year, I swapped to 25mm Durano plus tyres and have had no punctures as yet. Consensus was they handled better than Gatorskins in the wet, though I've not made the comparison myself. GP4000s also seem like a popular choice.

25mm will be a bit more comfy than 23mm, no idea about puncture resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm not a fan of the gatorskins although they would be the most puncture proof of the lot listed there.

Schwalbe Marathons are the tyre for ultimate puncture resistance. I've them on my touring bike in 25c for pottering around the city and I've not slipped in them yet. So grip is fairly good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

I would fit the widest tyres you can fit for commuting. Better comfort, less chance of a pinch flat, less rolling resistance.*

I like Michelin City tyres but am unsure if they come in 25mm. Panaracer Peasla Tourguard are also excellent and lighter but are more expensive.

*controversial opinion alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I've found the GP4000S to be surprisingly grippy in the wet, I've a set of 23s on the Madone, and I've slowly gaining wet roundabout confidence in them as well as very good braking performance - when I throw out the anchors and drop my ass over the back wheel to stop the back wheel rising I do stop quickly.
    No punctures yet in ~500km (crosses fingers)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

piston wrote: »
    I like Michelin City tyres but am unsure if they come in 25mm. Panaracer Peasla Tourguard are also excellent and lighter but are more expensive.

I love the Panaracers. They are my nice loaded touring tyre (32mm). Surprisingly light and grippy and I've never had a puncture with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

BX 19 wrote: »
    piston wrote: »

I love the Panaracers. They are my nice loaded touring tyre (32mm). Surprisingly light and grippy and I've never had a puncture with them.

I use Gatorskin Hardshells in 25mm and am very happy with them, especially with comfort on poor surfaces. I've had no problems in the wet and find them very puncture resistant on glass strewn bike lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Thanks for all the advice, I've ordered some 700 x 25 GatorHardshell's as they seem to be the most puncture resistant and nobody really has a bad word to say about them, apart from some complaining about grip at high speed in the wet, I don't do high speed in the wet so I'm not bothered about that, I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

+1 on the GatorHardhells.

Armadillos are probably the most puncture resistant tyre, but you pay a significant penalty in terms of grip and weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I'm new to roadbikes

When you go home do you patch up the hole in the tube like I would've done over the years with the fatter tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭ Bodie Mammoth Gymnast

armadillos are rubbish , schalwbes are great .
    speaking from experience here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement