Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Great one Arnhem!!!!

Here is my today's arrival. Regarding shoulder title and button I am pretty sure its RDF man.

What you guys think?

1987379712116f_o.jpg

198737998cbb3d_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

The reflection on the title from the flash of the camera just throws the image every so slightly but I'd go with the RDF to be honest from looking at the blown up image.

Thanks arnhem44! I kind a like that photo, even I never can be sure 100%. Still, it is a man who did his part during the war!

Next I do not have any questions to ask but I would like to share and hear opionins of my small Royal Dublin Fusiliers collection one of the highlights:

2nd Battalion Presentation of Colours booklet from 1911.

Amazing shape - all the paper is without any folds, etc. Quality is just prefect. Cover page is printed on the "puble paper" and crest is half stamped in. Inisde pages are all good as well. All togthered just 6 sheets (12 pages) inside and the size is just slightly bigger then the normal post card but I must say - I am in love of that item (don't tell it to my wife!:D). I do not think that there is many of these around after 100 years + event what for that booklet was issued was hugh for a one regiment!

1993892130cbb5_o.jpg

19938923c4beda_l.jpg

1993892579cbee_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I happened to see this one up for sale.An excellent buy and as you say probably very scarce as one would imagine would of been printed in very small numbers and most likely not many surviving.Thanks for sharing

Thanks arnhem, yes, I am indeed very pleased with that. Price went really high but when there can be next time to see it on sale - once off offer to buy in life time:rolleyes:.

Here is one more RDF photo what I received yesterday. Is there any "clues" what can help to indicate time frame when it was made? As much (not mutch:D) I presume, he has 1902 pattern dress. So, a Royal Dublin Fusiliers Corporal somewhere between 1902-1918?

199476197a0d45_l.jpg

19947623883dbe_o.jpg

Made locally in Dublin but there is no name, etc text written on the back, so no way to ID him unfortunately.

199476217118ac_l.jpg

• Advertisement

Here is information what I received from an expert about the picture of RDF Corporal:
    It's a lovely photograph and perhaps taken around 1906-07, as he is not wearing the new 1908 pattern web belt, but the old buff leather waist belt from the 1887 Slade Wallace Pattern Valise Equipment. That said, one swallow does not a Summer make and it could be later and just a question of him preferring to wear the undoubtedly smarter buff belt. He also has a 'whangee' type swagger cane, which usually came from a tropical posting like India. Notice the leather fob for his pocket watch attached to a chest pocket button. He also has the smarter, stiff sided version of the 1905 pattern SD cap so I don't think the photo can be any later than 1914. He might well have been on the staff of the regimental depot at Naas.

Last week was very busy because so many new RDF awards showed up on the market and are now on the way to my humble collection. But one of the highlights, what I love is a single old postcard:

19983433d2958d_l.jpg

19983435e92dcf_l.jpg

Here is my todays arrivals:

1. original sigarette card with the famous Royal Dublin Fusiliers boy-soldier Dunne. Small but prefect shape! I presume these were printed in hugh quantities.

19988461864189_l.jpg

I like the picture how RDF cap badge and collar is represented.

19988459b0452e_o.jpg

2. Next item what I got is a Gregory & Co, London print. Looks like period one to me and it is just fantastic shape! I presume it was part of some kind a regimental picture album? Is there more information about this publication?

199884577d6e26_l.jpg

Close up of soldier. Does anyone have a original picture of this type of shoulder boards insignia? Looks like a cap badge to me.

19988463ba3f75_l.jpg

More new stuff:

An early shoulder title. Worn in India around c1897. Also may be linked with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers band from pre 1900 period.

20031007f0fb5d_o.jpg

And the one another variety of RDF vap badge. This maker used a slightly different attachment system - a tabs. One is broken but I do not mind it...

2003794784e440_l.jpg

Looks like same maker produced officer's collar badges as well - exact same tiger and elephant!

20037945743083_l.jpg

• Advertisement

I was VERY lucky yesterday, when I spotted this early 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers collar badge, what I was advised, was in use only during period of 1881-1883.

203081695ddb0c_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

phaethon wrote: »
    I was VERY lucky yesterday, when I spotted this early 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers collar badge, what I was advised, was in use only during period of 1881-1883.

203081695ddb0c_o.jpg
    Thats a very nice one,:) must be quite scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

I presume that most RDF collectors seen the 10th Btn silver match box holder that was for sale recently but in case you didn't check out the original owners story;

http://www.grantonline.com/grant-family-individuals/grant-charles-1881/CW-Grant.htm

Its a story that has it all; A DMP interest, Dublin OTC, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 1916 Rising, Battle of the Somme, Burning of the Custom House etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

the case sold for £381 in the end. there is a lot of history attached to it so that would explain the high price.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

It went for a lot in the end alright. I've seen other RDF non-attributable silver match holders go for in the range of £60-100, but I think this one with the 1916 connection etc was a special one. Grant was present at some historic events!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

molders wrote: »
    I presume that most RDF collectors seen the 10th Btn silver match box holder that was for sale recently but in case you didn't check out the original owners story;

http://www.grantonline.com/grant-family-individuals/grant-charles-1881/CW-Grant.htm

Its a story that has it all; A DMP interest, Dublin OTC, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 1916 Rising, Battle of the Somme, Burning of the Custom House etc!

Not a bad account and its always good for balance to get a perspective from a Southern Unionist.Alot has been written about Northern Unionists but Dublin at the time had a large influential Unionist ascendancy population whose story seems to have disappeared.Their political and social decline would make for interesting reading.

I saw that box too and I wanted to get it.... after my last offer 75 GBP was overbid in minutes by more then one user, I gave up. I knew this one will go mad money in the end - money what I do not have to spend at the moment:(.

At least I am very pleased with my match box, what I obtained locally from Dublin. Because there is Emperess of India Crown, this can be made in there.

1973660999991b_l.jpg

19736611de3912_o.jpg

i haven't seen these type badges put up yet they are RDF busby badges . one is the officers and the other brass one is other ranks. sorry the pic are not that great. the bear skin is not mine.

Just amazing! Its one of the nicest RDF insignia what I have seen!

Thanks for posting!;)

i got a couple of better photos of the above badge.

• Advertisement

Its amazing officer's busby badge!!!!

My today's arrivals can't even get close but still nice...

1911 and 1918 Gale and Polden Ltd. cleaned Royal Dublin Fusiliers postcards.

20355913849830_l.jpg

203559099fb2bc_l.jpg

and the second one

20355911870181_l.jpg

20355907168ec4_l.jpg

RDF silk piece. Amazing quality and condition!

20371855a022f7_o.jpg

Here is my today's pick up. "trench art" but it is kind a nice piece to have next to official items - makes soldier's look more "personal" and "alive".

20422795158824_l.jpg

20426617cba51f_l.jpg

Here is one nice photo from 1st Battalion band. Looks like one of the guys worn tiger skin. Any explanations? Maybe because 1st Bn. was awarded the "Royal Tiger" on the 1791? - I found an answer of British Army tradition of drummers Leopard skin already. Something new learned today again!;)

http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/traditions/regimentaldress/skins.htm

Also does any of you has more info about the Coat of Arms on the front drum?

Is there some reference as well of the sleeve badge what some of they have?

Kind Regards,

Timo aka Phaethon

20446095fd5e2a_l.jpg
    20446093d622a4_l.jpg

My today's arrival from the Tribes!;)

Glengarry badge, post 1881 model to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers all the battalions.
    Lugs are replaced (this badge had been up before, who saw, recognise it;))

20597499c6bb2b_l.jpg

205974977e403c_l.jpg

And here is my current temporary RDF insignia display (- buttons, what are on the other case) - moves slowely in the right direction.

20597495508a0e_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

phaethon wrote: »
    Here is one nice photo from 1st Battalion band. Looks like one of the guys worn tiger skin. Any explanations? Maybe because 1st Bn. was awarded the "Royal Tiger" on the 1791? - I found an answer of British Army tradition of drummers Leopard skin already. Something new learned today again!;)

http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/traditions/regimentaldress/skins.htm

Also does any of you has more info about the Coat of Arms on the front drum?

Is there some reference as well of the sleeve badge what some of they have?

Kind Regards,

Timo aka Phaethon

20446095fd5e2a_l.jpg

strange bit of editing out of the guy at the back by the doors.

The chevrons on the lower left sleeve of the guys tunics are good conduct stripes. Can't make out enough to work out what the badges on their right arms are but presume they are music trade badges?

One of "top five" buttons, what I have so far;)

102 Regiment of Foot (Royal Madras Fusiliers) large button. After 1881 they became a 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

I really like "Plassey" on it! Button made by Jennens & Co, London.

207224471d4ec6_l.jpg

two photos...

5th Extra Reserve Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers soldiers around first part of the WW1.

2070779194a672_l.jpg

Royal Dublin Fusiliers soldier.

20707793ca1e85_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Last weekend pick up:cool:

206937330111b0_l.jpg

Advertisement