Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In over my head!!!

• 16-09-2010 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I've been "recruited" to help solve this issue for a friend with a small business.

Long story short, SBS2003 running exchange. Everything works pretty well (except certificate issues!) but their broadband is 1mb. After weeks of nagging ISP to upgrade the line to 24mb, they have finally done so on another line.

Every attempt to change over to the new modem/line has failed. Internet access is fine but all incoming mails are blocked and outgoing mails are very slow (1 - 2 hours).

I've opened all of the ports nessesary and even tried 3 differnent modems. (2x BT voyager 2110 & 1 linksys).

The original line is fixed IP setup with an old ericsson modem but it's only ADSL. NAT is disabled on it and it's plugged directly into a wireless router which is configured with the port forwarding.

The new line is PPoE with fixed IP and of course a different DNS. I've tried it with to correct port forwarding but no joy.

I've tried it with NAT disabled........and no joy

I've tried it with NAT disabled and plugged into the pre-configured wireless router (after changing the WAN settings to match)...... and no joy

Am i missing something or should i retire, crawl under a rock and never touch a computer again!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

e new modem/line has failed. Internet access is fine but all incoming mails are blocked and outgoing mails are very slow (1 - 2 hours).

Well the fact that you have Internet access is a start and as long as the new Internet IP is static then you've just got the firewall stuff to figure out.

How do mean that inbound e-mails are blocked? I'd think that you're on a different Internet IP now so external e-mail servers will have to deliver to this new IP. You'd need to change the domain MX records for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Find out who hosts your DNS records, have them modify the DNS MX record to be your new external IP. Open ports 25,110,143 and any others you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ruosullivan

bhickey wrote: »
    Well the fact that you have Internet access is a start and as long as the new Internet IP is static then you've just got the firewall stuff to figure out.

How do mean that inbound e-mails are blocked? I'd think that you're on a different Internet IP now so external e-mail servers will have to deliver to this new IP. You'd need to change the domain MX records for that.

MX record..............sweet jesus....how did i not think of farggle rockin mx record!!! I'll contact the hoster...........test it and post my reply from under my rock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

It could also take a while for the MX to propogate so give it a few hours (day).

THANKS Mena & Jaden.

I won;t get a chance until next week to do this, but i'll let you know how it goes................from under my rock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Also make sure you have a Static IP on the new line. Saves everyone a lot of trouble

Also make sure you have a Static IP on the new line. Saves everyone a lot of trouble

That's what makes this such an appalling mistake.....i remembered to get the fixed IP when i ordered the new line….. Knowing it’s needed….. but I was told that the BT Voyager 2110 won’t work with SBS2003, so concentrated on that, ordered a new modem from BT……….and waited 2 weeks for that……….and it was another voyager 2110 so when it didn’t work i bought a nice simple Netgear DM111p………but you can’t disable dhcp on a PPoE line with this model……………ordered a nice fancy Linksys………and it still didn’t work! I spend so much time looking for a complicated problem I had completely forgotten about the hoster pointing to the other IP……

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You've checked that the existing MX entry points directly at the existing server/router, and not at an external spam filter?
    If it points at an external filter, then you'll have to change the address using the spam filter's interface, rather than the MX.

You might also want to check whether the initial installer has set an SPF text record in the domain's DNS entry.
    If so it'll need to be updated with the new IP address, otherwise some outgoing mail might be prone to being treated as spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

start by re-running the icw and updating with new info such as public IP (if different) dns and router ip .. that way ISA will also be updated for you via the wizard

Thanks everyone, it went pretty smoothly; however there is ONE BIG problem!!

Neither IMAP or POP3 work from within the building! Bring your laptop home, everything works great. Bring it into work and error connecting

Ports are open

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, it went pretty smoothly; however there is ONE BIG problem!!

Neither IMAP or POP3 work from within the building! Bring your laptop home, everything works great. Bring it into work and error connecting

Ports are open

you need to enable pop and imap as exceptions on the ISA firewall client

corkcomp wrote: »
    you need to enable pop and imap as exceptions on the ISA firewall client

Started "Repair Internet & Email Settings"
    Ran through ICW
    Added acceptions for pop3 (110) & IMAP (143)

still no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ISA has a monitoring option. Monitor the traffic while trying to connect to POP3 and identify the blocking rule. Then add an allow rule for that traffic.

I havent used SBS so not sure if its the same.

Also what IP are you using to connect to POP3 when inside the building? The internal address of the server or the external?

Remember ISA has three default Networks. Internal, External and Local Host. The rules must specify which direction the traffic is coming from.

Started "Repair Internet & Email Settings"
    Ran through ICW
    Added acceptions for pop3 (110) & IMAP (143)

still no joy

those settings apply to the firewall on server though / packet filter.. you need to allow the clients access also (hard to explain but different rule sets apply) - see attached ..

Jumpy wrote: »
    Also what IP are you using to connect to POP3 when inside the building? The internal address of the server or the external?

Remember ISA has three default Networks. Internal, External and Local Host. The rules must specify which direction the traffic is coming from.

The ip address for the users are dhcp assigned, gateway is the modem. DNS & WINS are the server IP (192.168.0.1)

Everthing worked fine until i changed the modem and setup on the new line, so a new WAN IP and DNS were assigned through ICW yesterday.

those settings apply to the firewall on server though / packet filter.. you need to allow the clients access also (hard to explain but different rule sets apply) - see attached ..

I don't have access to any firewall setting other than assigning a port. if i choose "Configure Firewall" in server managment it forces me to go through the wizard. In there, i can only add custom services and choose my port.

I really appreciate yours and Jumpys help, and please don;t give up on me just yet

What about using the POP3 connector Manager??

What about using the POP3 connector Manager??
    never mind!!!!

I'm stumpted....... i can't get my head around the fact that everything works externally! especially as everything worked on the old line/modem setup

Can you pm me the ruleset of the ISA server?

Dont post it here, its not a very secure thing to do.

• Advertisement

It should look like this.

Of course, it may not on SBS. As I said, I have never used it.

isa_2006_2.jpg

Can you pm me the ruleset of the ISA server?

Dont post it here, its not a very secure thing to do.

ISA Server is not installed!

Sorry I thought it was part of SBS.

When you connect to POP3 inside the building, do you use the same target IP as you would from outside?

Sorry I thought it was part of SBS.
    only if your willing to part with the best part of a grand

Its a great firewall for small enterprises though. Super simple.

I could download a free trial; however i'd be worried everything would stop working at the end'o'freebie rather than limit my access!

There a 68 critical updates for the server so i'm going to update it, restart and see if that does anything; although i'm grasping at straws now!

If that fails, i'll download the trial of ISA

No, dont go that far.

Can you answer the above question about POP target IPs

When you connect to POP3 inside the building, do you use the same target IP as you would from outside?

I'm not sure, do you mean the IP assigned by the ISP?

• Advertisement

No. When you connect to your mail server to get POP and IMAP you specify an IP address or host name.

Advertisement