Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop not connecting to internet.

• 18-01-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I have a toshiba laptop running windows 7 just had new modem sent from Vodafone and set it up, it will not connect to the internet you can see it trying to connect I did manage to log into it this morning but loged off and now cant get in although something came on the screen earlier saying "infection Gen variant adware better browser" seems like another site is blocking my connection but dont know how to find this to remove put this up from my phone.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It won't connect to the modem, or your web browser won't connect to a website? Sounds like the latter and it sounds like you have some sort of virus according to that message.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

5uspect wrote: »
    It won't connect to the modem, or your web browser won't connect to a website? Sounds like the latter and it sounds like you have some sort of virus according to that message.

It wont connect to browser as I am on the internet on the phone is a case of leaving the Laptop in for repair it says adware in C drive

Cheers.

Pretty much. See about using some better protection next time. Malwarebytes would be a good start.

I have a monthly anti virus package I pay to Vodafone linked to the internet package, so I am wondering how I am in this position, as it checked everything at a certain time each day, that's why I am p###ed off, I pay and cant log on.:mad:

Unfortunately just because you're paying for a service doesn't mean it's any good. Many of the free solutions but the expensive ones to shame.

• Advertisement

Have managed to log on twice in the last 2 days, yesterday for 4 hours, turned the computer off last night, and turned it on this morning at 10am no connection, but showing a full signal and connected to the modem, I just tried again at 2pm and connected no problem logged on, would it be a driver that needs updating. very unreliable laptop at the moment, hope you can point me in the right direction.:confused:

Have you resolved the virus issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sfbonner

If you have anti-virus by vodafone then thats only anti-virus, not anti-malware.

Firstly, boot into safe mode with networking, if this works then its most likely a virus causing the problem.

Download: AVG rescue disc & Malwarebytes.

Put AVG rescue disc onto a bootable cd. You will find the instructions on AVG's website.
    Run the scan on the computer. (usually takes hours)

Once finished, boot into safe mode and run malwarebytes. Once malwarebytes has finished, restart the laptop and boot into normal windows. Should hopefully solve the problem.

Advertisement