Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crapness of your Hometown

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

IrishAm wrote: »
    Tallaght.

A bomb would cause millions of euro worth of improvements.

Makes feck all sense, most of the place is brand new looking and the older village area is fairly well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

statina wrote: »
    Granard, Co Longford has to be the most depressing town in Ireland!

Ah it's not that bad, the whole town smells like baking bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

IrishAm wrote: »
    Clondalkin is another mad kip. I once seen a lad in a Cork jersey fast asleep by the side of the StatOil petrol station beside Bewleys hotel. This was about 4am. Some scumbags had pissed all over him. He was drenched in it. He was staying next door and was only about 19. Poor bastard.

I'd disagree there. I'm from Clondalkin and walk many a night home from one end of the village or another estate, all the way back home and there wouldn't be a soul in sight. Have never got any bother. Although the Village Inn pub dead in the centre of Clondalkin has a weekly royal rumble outside, even on Xmas
    eve of all times.

But Neilstown and Bawnouge are to be avoided at all costs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there isnt anything crap about dublin bar the public transport

the worst looking towns ive seen in ireland are manorhamilton and granard. both places look like they never left the 50's behind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

there isnt anything crap about dublin bar the public transport

the worst looking towns ive seen in ireland are manorhamilton and granard. both places look like they never left the 50's behind

There isn't anything crap about Dublin bar the public transport? I'd say the public transport is one of the better things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Sure isn't 'Mick The Bull' (the barman from The Savage Eye) from Tipp town?

It makes sense now after reading this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Tipp town has it then in the larger town/****hole category.
    Kiltamagh it is in the small town/****hole category.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Ross is terrible.

I used to live in a house that was separated from a really rough estate.

We regularly had little ****s throwing rocks at our house and the poor old lady next door had her windows broken. They used to sneak into our back garden too until the little rope they had broke, or something like that. You'd easily walk into trouble if you came across the wrong people in the wrong place. They'd never do anything if they were alone, but they know that they have strength in numbers. I remember having to watch one of my friends take a few punches from some scumbag while the rest of his group made sure that me and my other friend didn't try anything. And that's happened more than once too. Got my nose broken when I was drunk one time as well, and all I wanted to do was use to bathroom...

Awful, awful place to live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I was visiting some people in Tipp Town and people told me about this happening and I didnt believe them. But yes this is what happens on St.Patricks day in Tipp Town.

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/local/tipp_parade_given_back_to_the_people_1_2250896

We called the place Auschwitz while we were there, there are NO shops that you would recognize, every shop is locally owned and like something out of the 50s. Thereis also this mad 90 degree hill in the middle of the town, roads are unreal. I think its the fact that they are so isolated in their own weird little inbred bubble that they are so strange...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

a fat guy wrote: »
    Ross is terrible.

I used to live in a house that was separated from a really rough estate.

We regularly had little ****s throwing rocks at our house and the poor old lady next door had her windows broken. They used to sneak into our back garden too until the little rope they had broke, or something like that. You'd easily walk into trouble if you came across the wrong people in the wrong place. They'd never do anything if they were alone, but they know that they have strength in numbers. I remember having to watch one of my friends take a few punches from some scumbag while the rest of his group made sure that me and my other friend didn't try anything. And that's happened more than once too. Got my nose broken when I was drunk one time as well, and all I wanted to do was use to bathroom...

Awful, awful place to live.

If my memory serves me correctly weren't some Continental lads (maybe German, Danish or Swedish) violently assaulted in New Ross a couple of years back resulting in the death of at least one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

MaxSteele wrote: »
    I'd disagree there. I'm from Clondalkin and walk many a night home from one end of the village or another estate, all the way back home and there wouldn't be a soul in sight. Have never got any bother. Although the Village Inn pub dead in the centre of Clondalkin has a weekly royal rumble outside, even on Xmas
    eve of all times.

It's why Dublin shouldn't feature highy here at all really..most Dublin villages or suburbs are safe. Tallaght village, Clondalkin Village ('mine'), Finglas village, Lucan village etc. The estates around are less so..

How the hell has this thread not had a mention of Athlone yet? Even in a train it is the most miserable grey place I've been to in Ireland...

Monaghan.. The mentality is awful, there's nothing there, begrudging, backward, gossiping bible-bashers with a 3 screen cinema, and very little prospects of getting out unless youre Lucky enough to have a job .
    If I never had to visit that place again it would b too soon, but family occasions always beckon.

It's not that bad at all.. Granted, I've no desire to head back but there's a couple of good schools, a lot of sport, good roads now, a few good bars and nice take-aways. As much as I disliked most of the people there bar my friends, I think it's a grand spot.

And most of the people I know got out of it.

Athlone was shabby and rough 25 years ago. If you had a boat on the river Shannon back in the 80s you would never moor overnight at the quays in the town.

But it is a hugely changed town and changed for the better. Athlone now actually makes use of the Shannon with new jetties and terraces overlooking the river, the west side of the town centre has become a gem for eateries and holds a farmers market, the castle is restored and has a tourist centre and there is a spanking new shopping centre and Sheraton hotel in the town.

Athlone shows how an Irish town with a bad rep and image can improve. And it all started with being bypassed 20 years ago.

Monaghan town is not that bad either. A border town but without the "border town" image thankfully. It's just small and a bit inward looking.

I reckon Tipperary Town wins this dubious contest by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Was in Naas at the weekend, now I grew up just outside Naas, went to school there, worked there, went out in the town and all that. So on Saturday after finishing in Harvey Normans I decided to take advantage of a rare Saturday off and rang my Mum and sister to suggest we meet for lunch, they both said we should go to Kilcullen as there is nowhere in Naas to go, drove down the town for a look see ... they were right! It's a dive now a hideous nasty dive. When I was growing up Naas was the place to be far better than Newbridge we would have looked down on Newbridge actually and bad as Newbridge is now I would much prefer it to Naas it's not the town it was in fact to be honest lunch time on Saturday was like a ghost town compared to when I used to work in it.

Personally I blame the whole by pass coupled with the retail parks that keep appearing everywhere

• Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

I used to think i lived in a posh area as we had more disadvantaged areas around us.
    Now i go back and cringe as the place is a right kip and i never realized it.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    If my memory serves me correctly weren't some Continental lads (maybe German, Danish or Swedish) violently assaulted in New Ross a couple of years back resulting in the death of at least one of them?

Yeah, the scumbags will attack anything as long as they find a way to vindicate themselves.

"You foreign bastards" tends to be one of their favourite excuses.

I was actually chased home one night by about ten lads when I was younger because I was a "crusty bastard".

Horrible, horrible place...

toexpress wrote: »
    Was in Naas at the weekend, now I grew up just outside Naas, went to school there, worked there, went out in the town and all that. So on Saturday after finishing in Harvey Normans I decided to take advantage of a rare Saturday off and rang my Mum and sister to suggest we meet for lunch, they both said we should go to Kilcullen as there is nowhere in Naas to go, drove down the town for a look see ... they were right! It's a dive now a hideous nasty dive. When I was growing up Naas was the place to be far better than Newbridge we would have looked down on Newbridge actually and bad as Newbridge is now I would much prefer it to Naas it's not the town it was in fact to be honest lunch time on Saturday was like a ghost town compared to when I used to work in it.

Personally I blame the whole by pass coupled with the retail parks that keep appearing everywhere

Naas would be 100 times worse if it hadn't been bypassed 30 years ago. It was the worst traffic bottleneck in Ireland before the M7 motorway opened.

And I know Naas quite well and IMO it is not a kip. The problem with Naas was bad planning on the part of the Town Council allowed too many shops to relocate to the edge of town leaving the town centre to go downhill. Doesn't Naas have a property bubble era shopping centre that's lying half built?

There are a load of towns worse than Naas. Athy would IMO be the worst town in County Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

flyswatter wrote: »
    flyswatter wrote: »
    Drogheda is nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be here.

There are some good restaurants, scenery (Millmount) nice surrounding areas (Newgrange), decent shopping, 3/4 nightclubs. The cinema is poor and outdated but you wouldn't run out of things to do quickly.

I remember New Ross from my youth, such an average dull place. Gorey is just a bottleneck town.

Waterford seems alright.

Ever been to rathmullen in Drogheda ????
    Makes Beirut look like Disneyland
    Yeah, it has the towns best swimming pool. :)

That it does
    But it's on the very outskirts of rathmullen and fairly well fortified to boot

Had some rocks and a bottle thrown at me last night because I was wearing glasses...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

a fat guy wrote: »
    Had some rocks and a bottle thrown at me last night because I was wearing glasses...

And because your fat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

Shannon...

Seems to be merging into Limerick these days Grrr

Not sure if the airport can even do us justice any more...come to think of it they were going to call that Limerick airport at some stage too I'm sure...ffs Shannon is in Clare people..the amount of times I get letters addressed Shannon, Co. Limerick is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Monaghan.. The mentality is awful, there's nothing there, begrudging, backward, gossiping bible-bashers with a 3 screen cinema, and very little prospects of getting out unless youre Lucky enough to have a job .
    If I never had to visit that place again it would b too soon, but family occasions always beckon.

It's not that bad at all.. Granted, I've no desire to head back but there's a couple of good schools, a lot of sport, good roads now, a few good bars and nice take-aways. As much as I disliked most of the people there bar my friends, I think it's a grand spot.

And most of the people I know got out of it.

I grew up there, so maybe I'm biased.. The housing estates are rough, and there's a horrible attitude towards any outsiders, along with a very religiously segregated attitude.. (they ask ur surname to find out what religion you are!) my mum's friend locked her 22 year old daughter away coz she got pregnant before marriage and no one knew she was even pregnant til after she had the baby, then she got preggers again and her mom kicked her out... She wasn't allowed to wear white on her wedding day by the priest..

I grew up there, so maybe I'm biased.. The housing estates are rough, and there's a horrible attitude towards any outsiders, along with a very religiously segregated attitude.. (they ask ur surname to find out what religion you are!) my mum's friend locked her 22 year old daughter away coz she got pregnant before marriage and no one knew she was even pregnant til after she had the baby, then she got preggers again and her mom kicked her out... She wasn't allowed to wear white on her wedding day by the priest..

When was this - 1958? And who under the age of 50 gives a flying f*ck what a priest thinks these days?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I grew up there, so maybe I'm biased.. The housing estates are rough, and there's a horrible attitude towards any outsiders, along with a very religiously segregated attitude.. (they ask ur surname to find out what religion you are!) my mum's friend locked her 22 year old daughter away coz she got pregnant before marriage and no one knew she was even pregnant til after she had the baby, then she got preggers agauin and her mom kicked her out... She wasn't allowed to wear white on her wedding day by the priest..

When was this - 1958? And who under the age of 50 gives a flying f*ck what a priest thinks these days?:rolleyes:

The wedding was like three years ago, the oldest kid is about seven at most...

The fact that people accept this behaviour is the worst part. I cant be home for more than 2 days without gettin cabin fever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

noddyone2 wrote: »
    Wexford town isn't much better, shops closed everywhere, litter, dire parking.

Not sure where your getting this from, Wexford town is probably 1000 times nicer than any of the other three towns in Wexford.

baraca wrote: »
    Not sure where your getting this from, Wexford town is probably 1000 times nicer than any of the other three towns in Wexford.

From my frequent visits to Wexford I would rate Wexford town as the nicest town in the county and New Ross the worst. Enniscorthy is okayish - in a nice river valley setting - but people from there seem to despise their own town a lot.

I still hold firm to my view that Tipperary Town is the worst town in Ireland. A daisycutter or small nuclear device would improve that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Well i live in the Kingdom and it is Heaven...Mountains, Lakes, and Jackie Healy Rae,..
    A visa will be required soon to enter, No Crap here at all, and of course we won Tidy Towns so no liter either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Dublin. A bit of a kip.

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Well i live in the Kingdom and it is Heaven...Mountains, Lakes, and Jackie Healy Rae,..
    A visa will be required soon to enter, No Crap here at all, and of course we won Tidy Towns so no liter either...

Kenmare is beautiful and Killarney is picturesque if a bit over-touristy. Tralee is meh but Listowel is shabby, dingy town. Also the place where a man convicted of rape was cheered and supported by many of the locals. Delightful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I grew up here. It was a great place to live, out in the country but not too far from Dublin city.

After many years in the city I bought a house here. It's a great place to live, out in the country but not too far from the city.

I have no real complaints about either.

Advertisement