Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

CallMeMiss wrote: »
    Yes smartarse I have. But its much more convenient to throw a couple of tea bags into my bag than carry a flask around with me all day!

Ha ha,I joke . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Smushbush

one of my mates is pretty bad...we were waiting for a bus one day and the standard child fair is 80cent i think..my mate is 18, and he specifically took a shave to get a child fair down to dun laoghaire..i'll never forget that hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Smushbush wrote: »
    one of my mates is pretty bad...we were waiting for a bus one day and the standard child fair is 80cent i think..my mate is 18, and he specifically took a shave to get a child fair down to dun laoghaire..i'll never forget that hahaha

If ya can pull it off sure why not?:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

this is defo one of the best threads ive read in a long time. should be stickied.

i had a part-time job a while back, and when you do a 5 hour shift you were entitled to a paid 15 minutes break and you have to record in a book what time you took your break at. One day i was when on my break with X. as i was coming back in to work i got a phone call. Thinking nothing of it i answered and was talking for about 3 or 4 mins on the phone. Went back into work, the boss said how come X was back 5 mins ago and you werent? I said oh sorry i got a phone call. Then he says put down that you took a 20 minute break instead of a 15 so i said ye grand and did. Got my wage pack at the end of the week. I worked 21 hours...i got paid for 20.88 hrs or 20hrs and 55 mins. Stingy fcuk!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

CallMeMiss wrote: »
    I was in college during the year. At least 5 days a week I would be in the library from 10am - 8/9pm.

I love my tea and coffee and would have at least 5 cups a day. Now the canteen in college was charging about 2.30 per cup. So one day I said feck this and started bringing on my own tea bags and coffee.
    Saved a bomb untill the ba£*%ds started charging for the hot water!!!

Anyway I dont think its stingy I think its smart....

Hmmm, I think I spent 4 years in this college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

My ex boss and i were heading back to his car in a city centre street,he was just about to start the car when he takes the keys back from the ignition and says" what time is on that parking meter ticket?"

I said 2:15 ,he looks at his watch and says "its only five past sure we might as well wait for the extra ten minutes!"

I thought he was messing but no the stingy fecker sat there for another ten minutes!(this guy retired a multi-millionaire btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭maninasia

That's all well and good but this isn't England.

The bloke is French and in France a pint is about 8 euro (possibly just in the rip off tourist places I've been to).

In Ireland, 2.20 doesn't get you a pint. End of. Slamming yer pittance down and demanding it because it can be had for that in other places in the world is no justification. When in Rome....

For example, a tube of Colgate toothpaste costs about 25 cent in Thailand. March up to the checkout here (or England for that matter) slam down your toothpaste and 25cent and see what you get...

hint- nothin if you're lucky, squirt of toothpaste in the eye if you're not. and rightfully so.

No, but the pub should be able to provide some alcohol for 2.20, which is what he asked for. If I was the owner I wouldn't be happy that the barman is turning away customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

pebbles21 wrote: »
    My ex boss and i were heading back to his car in a city centre street,he was just about to start the car when he takes the keys back from the ignition and says" what time is on that parking meter ticket?"

I said 2:15 ,he looks at his watch and says "its only five past sure we might as well wait for the extra ten minutes!"

I thought he was messing but no the stingy fecker sat there for another ten minutes!(this guy retired a multi-millionaire btw)

what a tit

Here's my less than 2 cents.

I have a friend who likes to call and hang up directly upon hearing me answer the phone, first time I thought that was strange , happened lots of times after that and I copped on. This was the same guy who would call and 'miss call' me also so I would call him back. He stopped doing that when I refused to call him back at all...got the message I guess. Now he just texts me to call him back cos his credit is running out...

There's a good one in Seinfeld where Kramer is left alone in Jerry's room momentarily. Nothing's happening until you see Kramer rooting around in the back of Jerry's sofa for the next 20 seconds for loose change and finds a few choice coins. He hears Jerry coming back in and acts all innocent. Good one...

There are some great posts here, but it's good to know the difference between stinginess and economy...economy is not wasting stuff needlessly. There is also a rip-off culture in Ireland that is apparent more to outsiders than locals..for example the mention above of pre-paid hourly meters for city corporations in Ireland, in other countries they are often counted by actual time or up to the last ten minutes of use!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

maninasia wrote: »
    for example the mention above of pre-paid hourly meters for city corporations in Ireland, in other countries they are often counted by actual time or up to the last ten minutes of use!
    ??? Many of them are to the nearest 10c.

• Advertisement

Not in Dublin when I used them, they were pre-paid in 30 minute intervals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

An ex-colleague secretly boasted to me to never buying a round. His main secret was never entering the pub first, but holding the door for his mates, thus never getting to the counter first.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Really fecking annoys me seeing people open their palm and meticolously count the change they're given in shops.

Not only is it tight as fúck it holds up the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

I had a party in my new house a couple of years ago, was working in a wholesalers so got LOTS of beer (mainly miller and bud) which all were welcome to have. One of the lads arrives with 4 cans of Heinken, drinks all night until 3-4 am and when he's leaving in the morning takes the ONE can of heineken he hadn't drank home with him (he was too busy drinking everything else).He says 'sure no-one else likes heinken I wouldn't like to see it wasted' !!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Bren_C wrote: »
    I had a party in my new house a couple of years ago, was working in a wholesalers so got LOTS of beer (mainly miller and bud) which all were welcome to have. One of the lads arrives with 4 cans of Heinken, drinks all night until 3-4 am and when he's leaving in the morning takes the ONE can of heineken he hadn't drank home with him (he was too busy drinking everything else).He says 'sure no-one else likes heinken I wouldn't like to see it wasted' !!!

In my younger days I used show up with 6 Dutch Mould and plonk it on the table.

Then help myself to nice chilled bottles of Tiger beer or something, lol.

At least I'd leave the dutch there if no one drank it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

Bren_C wrote: »
    You think that's bad? I make sure to never bring anything in the first place ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Was at a 21st a while back. A woman (in her 50's) at a table next to us was filling her handbag with rolls and meats from the usual 21st buffet of cold salads and stuff.

When she caught us looking she said for the husbands lunches during the week. My wife laughed it off and while out of ear shot said to me: "what a stingy oul bag"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

A foreign national taking a balloon out of a bin on Henry St & giving it to his baby to play with. What ever about stingy - its rotten.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Lynskey wrote: »
    Once, while i was on the bus, i overheard two young lads(probably in secondary school), goin on how they had no money for drink this coming friday(alcohol, obviously). One of them suggested they do a "collection". Intrigued, i followed them off the bus for a bit. They went up to someone holding a collection bucket for the disabled who was apparently their friend and asked if they cold borrow his bucket. Again, i followed them to a corner of a street where they almost forced the money out of an old man's pocket, saying they were collecting money "for the victims of 9/11"-it was practically robbery. Disgusted, I approached them and questioned their "motives". One of them immediately produced a knife and told me to "donate" or i would soon be a victim of something else. I backed away onto the main street where there where lots of people and they soon backed away into an alley like a couple of snakes. This immoral and macabre display has stuck with me as a shining example of how most of today's teenagers are egotistical and corrupt-and for that they deserve something i rarely give out: FIVE frowny faces:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: also one for the poor man:(

Whoa whoa whoa! i just stumbled across this,and you can't stereotype us all! we're about 50 percent knackers,but the rest of us are model citizens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Tags; cavan people. Hahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

My uncle knew this guy .... from an area/country well known for their meanness .... can i mention it --- lets say it lies north of the USA and south of the north pole ...

anyway ... out for a meal ... he'd offer to pay for the meal with his credit card ... and everyone pay him in cash .. including the tip ...

what he wouldn't tell them was he'd pay for the meal ... and pocket the tip ...

baxstard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

It's funny to see people walking past the homeless, not bothering to throw in any change and avoiding eye contact at all costs, but curiously reading the message written on the cardboard sign. What are they thinking? "ah, he spelled hostel wrong, God love him".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Porkpie wrote: »
    It's funny to see people walking past the homeless, not bothering to throw in any change and avoiding eye contact at all costs, but curiously reading the message written on the cardboard sign. What are they thinking? "ah, he spelled hostel wrong, God love him".

I never give to beggars on the street. I know people who work with the homeless & say that you are better to give the money to charity - beggars can earn up to a couple of grand a day... also there are a lot of people who are not homeless who beg to increase their income...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭John-Holmes

Tight as a ducks ass. And thats water tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Whenever anyone asks me for change I always say:

"No thanks, I am good for change."

or

"Yeah I have loads of change actually, thanks for asking."

Said that one night to a bum outside the The Temple Bar pub. The bouncer laughed his bollocks off and the bum told me I was a smart cnut...:D

Whenever anyone asks me for change I always say:

"No thanks, I am good for change."

or

"Yeah I have loads of change actually, thanks for asking."

Said that one night to a bum outside the The Temple Bar pub. The bouncer laughed his bollocks off and the bum told me I was a smart cnut...:D
    Hehe nice, I don't get the first one though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

A_SN wrote: »
    Hehe nice, I don't get the first one though :(

Well usually they hold out a cup saying "Spare Change"

And then I go:

"No thanks, I'm good for change." or a simple "No thanks" thus I give they impression that they are offering me something.

And then I go:

"No thanks, I'm good for change." or a simple "No thanks" thus I give they impression that they are offering me something.
    Oooh haha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

And then I go:

Wow, thats incredibly witty. Did you think of that all by yourself?

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Wow, thats incredibly witty. Did you think of that all by yourself?
    lol.

*grabs some pop-corn*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement