Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dates of correcting conferences this year

• 04-03-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

I got a letter last week saying I am on the reserve panel for correction of the State Exams. I want to go on holidays in early June however I want to still remain available for correcting of the exams.. Does anybody know the dates that these will be on this year??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll be safe enough the first two weeks of June, if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I got reserve too . Does everyone who applied get on the reserve ? There seems to be loads on reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Based on my subject - French - you count eight days from the exam to day 1 of the Leaving Cert conferences. So this year French will be on Weds 13th June and I expect the conferences to be on Thurs 21st and Friday 22nd. The Junior Cert conferences in French are a week later. They have been reduced to one day in recent years so JC French should be on Friday 29th June.

If your subject is a standalone at Junior Cert, such as CSPE, the turnaround might be faster. The Chief Examiner (Examination and Assessment Manager) has to coordinate the whole thing and for obvious reasons they need to get the Leaving Cert underway first.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Claregirl5

Hi Rose!

I phoned the SEC last Thursday and was informed the dates of the marking conferences had not been set yet.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

rose23 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a letter last week saying I am on the reserve panel for correction of the State Exams. I want to go on holidays in early June however I want to still remain available for correcting of the exams.. Does anybody know the dates that these will be on this year??

You should be ok for the first two weeks of June. It takes at least a week after the first exam for the conferences to get under way. If your subject is one of the later ones the conference might not be until the first week of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Brilliant thanks so much for the information everyone..

Im only on reserve but really hoping that I do get called for the experience and the money.. Does anyone one here know if people on reserve usually get called?? Im sure this year there is a lot of teachers on the reserve list!

rose23 wrote: »
    Brilliant thanks so much for the information everyone..

Im only on reserve but really hoping that I do get called for the experience and the money.. Does anyone one here know if people on reserve usually get called?? Im sure this year there is a lot of teachers on the reserve list!

People do get called from the reserve list, it's how I started out. It does depend on the subject. The less popular the subject, the less correctors are needed, so the less places crop up for reserves. However, if you give them a ring close to the time, around the start of June and ask if there are any places, they might keep you in mind, i.e. bump you up the list so to speak.

What is your subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

Anyone who has corrected before, would it be possible to correct CSPE exams while working another part time job ( I am willing to work 7 days a week if its only for 3 weeks to get some money together)? ie... working mornings till 1 and then going home to correct/correct at the weekend if necessary.

Also, anyone know the full rate of pay before taxes? Thanks a million!

dno7239 wrote: »
    Anyone who has corrected before, would it be possible to correct CSPE exams while working another part time job ( I am willing to work 7 days a week if its only for 3 weeks to get some money together)? ie... working mornings till 1 and then going home to correct/correct at the weekend if necessary.

Full rate of pay before taxes depends on the subject. CSPE is probably in and around €6-7 per student, but you are correcting their project booklet and their paper so essentially it's 2 papers per student for that money. You'll get about 200-250 papers in CSPE i think, each with both components. One of my friends used to correct CSPE and I think that's what the rate was.

Cheers! I will just go ahead and correct exams during the time instead of the other part time temporary job- need the experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

I am on the reserve panel for Science - do people think it is likely I will be called upon?

Also, I was wondering, I applied for the Superintendent positions too. When would one usually hear about these positions?!

Cheers in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

dno7239 wrote: »

I marked CSPE exams in 2008. I had about 350 candidates with an exam paper and project booklet for each.

I worked in the mornings from 9-12 in a summer school and then marked from 1 till maybe 10 that night and also for about 6 hours on sat and maybe 3-4 hours on Sunday. It was a horrible 3 weeks but I needed the money at the time.

So it is doable. If you go ahead with it, tell the supervising examiner that you are assigned to. It won't be a problem but they ring you most days and they would just know not to ring you in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I correct OL LC Bio for about €9.50 a paper.
    Had 265 papers last year.
    1st year correcting.
    Was the reserve corrector at the conference the year before.
    Am doing it again this year.

Our cinference will be a 2 day one towards the end of June so you'd be safe enough on holidays until at least 15th June I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

When I marked CSPE in 2008, the conference was around the 1st and 2nd of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Specifically on the part time work question. The forms state that you are required to give your full attention to the job. In the case of French which is all I can comment on in detail, it would not be feasible to do something else. If you haven't corrected before you need to know a little more about the dynamics of the process to understand it.

1) Examiners go to the conference. You get plenty of eejits saying that all teachers should have to correct. This is nonsense. You will go through the draft marking scheme, have reasonable opportunities to comment and raise questions and mark sample scripts. When you mark the sample scripts you will realise the tough calls between full, partial and no marks when the draft scheme transfers into what kids these days actually write. It can be an eye opener into our literacy problem but I digress! You have to be physically in that room to know what the standard is.

2) After you mark your sample 20 over the first couple of days, you will send some of these to your advising examiner and await news from the follow-up conference. You will have a day or two off at this point. Then they will phone you. They will expect you to immediately note down changes on your draft marking scheme and apply these urgently to the scripts you have held onto. The advising examiner will apply the changes to some of the scripts you sent away. They don't have time to wait hours for you. If you're at the shops or out for a walk, they'll gladly give you a half an hour or so to get home.

3) Throughout the marking issues will arise. They become much less frequent as it beds down. However, you are expected to be available during normal working hours every day.

Sorry if this comes across as a little stern. It's just that you're signing up to a job that has clear conditions attached. If they don't suit, do something else. The state exams are very important to all our students and they legitimately expect that they will be just as important to you the examiner.

Cheers for that information. I decided yesterday to give up my other (very) part time job at this time as I need the experience of marking. So no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rias

I agree with everything Linguist said. I would be practically impossible to hold a part time job and correct at the same time. I correct science and it is an intense time. The work is not difficult but you are under pressure to get the papers and investigations corrected as fast as possible and hope there are no re-corrections to be done! There is also a lot of time needed to go to the post office and post your samples every couple of days and for form filling especially when you get your scripts (approx 3 hours going through to see what you have, what is missing etc) and filling in the scores for the first 20 samples

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭khan86

Quick question for regular exam corrector's.... I corrected CSPE last year, got a letter this year asking me if I wished to be reappointed which I filled out accepting the reappointment and sent it back to them. Haven't heard from them since to confirm if they received it or not. Is this standard or should I give them a call to make sure they got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

might be wrong but am thinking that there is a lot of practical stuff going on at the moment, not to mention the upcoming orals so i'd imagine it'll be after that before they round to the summer stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

If you accepted then you will not get a letter till May which will inform you of conference dates. You will not receive any other correspondence in the meantime

• Advertisement
Advertisement