Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest poachers caught in the act?

• 02-02-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Anybody know the full story with the lads that drove from the rathdrum direction to clane last week? They allegedly had 31 deer in an open trailer , which also contained two stags. They drove by a ranger and when they arrived at the game dealer there was a ranger waiting for them and were questioned etc???:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

thats nuts,i dont shoot deer but i cant understand how they can get away with bringing 31 deer in if its true,if you have a sec42 does that mean if theres 30deer on a farmers land you could shoot them all in the one night legally?game dealers paying money makes it to tempting for greedy people to go overboard killing everything in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

sounds more like npws rangers doing a cull i would have thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Anybody know the full story with the lads that drove from the rathdrum direction to clan last week? They allegedly had 31 deer in an open trailer , which also contained two stags. Drove by a ranger and when they arrived at the game dealer they were questioned etc???:eek:

Must have been a big trailer, 3-4 deer is most car trailers, did the trailer have creels?

Must have been a turf trailer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

yeah tack come to think of it the animal carcass disposal people were about the other day he had a small lorry with a tipper it was pretty full with 3cows and a pony in it!he needed a winch to get the pony in as it had go on top of the cows,31 deer would be a fair stack!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭seoirse1980

I believe the trailer was about 12 feet long. The rangers were waiting for them when they arrived at the dealers. There was a bit of a backlog while they lined up the carcasses and photographed and processed them. The lads who brought them in were stood against a wall looking very sorry for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Delighted if it's true.
    I despise poachers.

Surely you have to give some ID or documentation to game dealers for traceability?

You would imagine so. I wonder have any of the cases this season in relation to poaching gone to court? I've heard of a few now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

I have read with interest many stories on boards.ie of poachers and game dealers
    So what's the story can anyone just bring a deer to the game dealer and get
    money for it? What do you have to show

You have to fill out a form. With your name, deer license number and sex of the animal and area that you shot the animal in. Well that's in Glenmalure anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Just your licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

You have to fill out a form. With your name, deer license number and sex of the animal and area that you shot the animal in. Well that's in Glenmalure anyway.

Bad part not all game dealers look for them details. I no a friend of mine droped in a deer to a certon game dealer (one which was surplice to requirement ) and he was shocked ,Never asked for a deer licence or even did he have the correct calibre .:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

If they hadn't been spotted the ranger, would the delivery have been accepted and processed through the books without any questions or reporting? With 31 animals it would be unlikely that this was the first suspicious delivery. Game dealers to some extent must rely on supply from honest sources. Personally, I'd want some assurance that I am supplying to an honest broker before I would supply a carcass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

From what I hear there was a major player (150 -200 animals a season) in the wicklow area caught.
    Thankfully the powers that be seem to be more successful lately.
    Poachers are ruining our sport. Deer numbers in wicklow have taken a serious decline. You will see a system yet where you will be given 5 tags at the start of the season and that will be it. Some believe that numbers will never recover.

How long will these poachers be put out of action for?

Will they be given a hunting licence in 2 years time?

Well I still have yet to hear of one prosecution apart from the case in Kerry. I think last year or the one before.

ballistic wrote: »
    Will they be given a hunting licence in 2 years time?

No, from what I hear it's four. That's with a suspended prison sentence for a wildlife offence.

Well I still have yet to hear of one prosecution apart from the case in Kerry. I think last year or the one before.

I heard of a recent one in wicklow 2000 euro and loss of firearm dont no will the poacher be allowed to get a licence in the future though. There are a good few being caught.

J. Ramone wrote: »
    No, from what I hear it's four. That's with a suspended prison sentence for a wildlife offence.

Is it classed as a criminal offence if yes then can you get a license with a criminal record against you?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

ballistic wrote: »
    From what I hear there was a major player (150 -200 animals a season) in the wicklow area caught.
    lads I think we should be talking about more facts than just rumours you have 180 days in the season so that would be a Deer every nite of the season seems a bit high to me and I would be suprised if a poacher would be stupid enough turn up with that amount of deer in a trailer I could be wrong.

clivej wrote: »
    Is it classed as a criminal offence if yes then can you get a license with a criminal record against you?

Seemingly so. This case involved killing and theft of pheasants from a release pen belonging to a parish gun club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Heard about that, seemingly when the ranger checked the abbaitoirs books they sold 398 deer since sept.!!!!:eek:

• Advertisement

Heard about that, seemingly when the ranger checked the abbaitoirs books they sold 398 deer since sept.!!!!:eek:

Unless weigh and pay, that would be a very big cheque at the end of the season. The accounting records would highlight such excessive numbers on one licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Depends again on the conviction.Somthing carrying jail time no doubt pretty hard to apply.With serious money fines,proably.Only way to shut somthing down like this is very hard financial hits in their pockets and loss of equipment,jeeps,firearms etc. Hit the game dealers as well,in to the point that they are barred from dealing game for ten years.It would soon make this unworthwhile.

12 ft long trailer..Hmm They would have to have butcherd and halved the animals already to get that many into somthing that size.If you compare the local butcher's delivery truck .

Going by the story of the 1st post
    Sounds like they ran into a sting operation..Good stuff from the NPWS if they did it like that.:) Tailed,and right into a reception comittee!!:D
    Feckin Muppett wanna be poachers!!If that is the quality of "poachers " here the NPWS will have no trouble hauling the lot in like that.
    Wonder will it be in the papers?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

excuse my ignorance,i know nothing about deer shooting but how many beasts are you allowed to cull legally in a season:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

excuse my ignorance,i know nothing about deer shooting but how many beasts are you allowed to cull legally in a season:confused:

There isn't a legal limit.

As many as is on the quota for the land as given out by the department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

so these boys could escape prosecution on a technicality,would i be right in saying that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

so these boys could escape prosecution on a technicality,would i be right in saying that

Nope, shot the stags out of season if that part of the report is true.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Depends again on the conviction.Somthing carrying jail time no doubt pretty hard to apply.With serious money fines,proably.Only way to shut somthing down like this is very hard financial hits in their pockets and loss of equipment,jeeps,firearms etc. Hit the game dealers as well,in to the point that they are barred from dealing game for ten years.It would soon make this unworthwhile.

12 ft long trailer..Hmm They would have to have butcherd and halved the animals already to get that many into somthing that size.If you compare the local butcher's delivery truck .

Going by the story of the 1st post
    Sounds like they ran into a sting operation..Good stuff from the NPWS if they did it like that.:) Tailed,and right into a reception comittee!!:D
    Feckin Muppett wanna be poachers!!If that is the quality of "poachers " here the NPWS will have no trouble hauling the lot in like that.
    Wonder will it be in the papers?

Poachers are making a living out of deer. They are not thick just brazen. Woods were poached on christmas night this year! We are not talking about guys bagging one for the table (not condoning that either) its a commercial operation that suplements the dol. They are going to ruin our sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 243 SbS

Have the revenue commissioners shown any interest in these guys making money from shooting (legally and illegally) and selling on deer to game dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Technically on private land there is no limit.
    However the licence has to be applied for every year; so If you shoot 15 out of a herd of 20 one year it may be unlikely you get a licence teh next year.

There are different rules for a lease as it's al about making profit (No matter what anyone says)

They want you to shoot feck all on a lease otherwise they can't rent it out again the following year.

The Buck stops with the Game Dealers, If poachers had no outlet then they would not do it.
    Simples

Advertisement