Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valve developing steam box console

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Citing "uncovered information" from unnamed sources, the tech blog says that Valve is developing a platform for low-cost, micro-sized PCs that would offer access to Steam's vast library of games, but in a streamlined console-style experience.
    This screams "cloud computing" to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Rumoured pic:
    ErSFQ.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Overheal wrote: »
    Valve are the last people I expected to want to kill PC gaming.

I doubt it unless Valve have secretly done a complete UTurn on everything they have every said in favour of open gaming platforms.

• Site Banned Posts: 76 ✭✭RXMPS

lasersquad wrote: »
    Valve might be privately owned, but it doesn`t change the fact that they care about one thing - $. Admittedly they go about acquiring these in a very clever way trying to minimize damage or win over fans in certain ways, but the fact remains.

Some lofty ideals like "PC gaming" really do not come into play here. They`ve seen the success of OnLive and their little shop ain`t doing too badly either - meaning there`s enough people with broadband and credit cards to justify such move. Sod the rest :)

Onlive is a great app, I always use it at work when the boss is not around and to try out demo's at home.

It is the future, my machine at work is a pentium 4 dinosaur that can barely play solitaire:), but workplace has a fast open internet connection, so I can play Dirt 3 and the like perfectly, it's amazing.

I am not a tech head at all, only found about it few weeks ago from mate at work.He was playing Fifa 12 on his break, it looked amazing,looked like a PS3 game, on his ancient machine.

I was like how the hell can you play that?

That's a brand new game, you surely need a modern pc for that I said.

You have a playstation connected to it I said.

He told me it was streamed like youtube, metacafe etc and I couldn't believe it.

I like Onlive but I have felt that it needed a huge company like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo etc to push it on to the next level, as in mainstream.

Maybe Valve are the company to do it?

To bring it mainstream with a proper cloud computing console.

They can't generate revenue like a huge powerhouse like Sony or Microsoft, but they do have a lot more financial power than Onlive it would seem.

Maybe they have some new tech/software that makes 1080p games stream perfectly on low connections like 2mb.

That's the biggest problem now, at work onlive is great but my eircom 8mb connection is hit and miss with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lasersquad

"It`s the future" - well, unfortunately you might be right.

While I admit that OnLive`s progress is quite amazing - when I first heard of the idea I was in quite snigger/wtf/that`ll-never-work mode - the prospect of future gaming turning into youtube-like streams is quite terrifying. Even on very good connection pic quality/latency is an issue (depending on game) and it always will be. Games will get even more complex and even more people will want their Netflix and what not streamed too, hoggin the tubes.

Then there`s the small matter of not owning the actual games and the fact that NOT everyone has a kick ass connection - quite a chunk on this planet has none in fact. But, that stopped being a concern long time ago (see Steamworks, Ubi, Arkham etc)

I wouldn`t mind this online obsession if it ran parallel to the "traditional" model of gaming where you go to the shop, buy a physical game and have a solid single player campaign there. But, that was deemed "inconvenient". Or something. If true this GabeBox will definitely be a cloud affair, then you have D.Perry`s Gaikai skipping console entirely and streaming into next-gen TVs, wouldn`t be surprised if Apple piped up and I bet PS4/720 will be even more net-slaves than they`re now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I think we shall see a Steam Box console with Half-Life 3.

That's what I am going to keep telling myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Rumoured pic:
    ErSFQ.jpg
    That's a realan case, I recognize it because I was looking at them when I built a HTPC a while back. Sold under various names.

There's damn all cooling in that case, its good enough for a Atom/Fusion type build. Whoever is assembling it doesnt know much about hardware if they're putting an i7 into that. I doubt very much it is a prototype of anything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Depends on the CPU and the cooling solution really. There's plenty of laptops running i7s with a heatpipe blower configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

mobile i7's though, not real ones :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

How dare you, my i7's are real! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

5uspect wrote: »
    Depends on the CPU and the cooling solution really.
    No it doesnt because I know that specific case.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Wossack wrote: »
    mobile i7's though, not real ones :)

It hardly matters, a Sandy Bridge a TDP around 65~95W. A fast GPU probably a bit more. A combined dual heatpipe cooling solution would be a bit noisy but acceptable.

I'm sceptical about a steambox myself. I would imagine there could be come sort of beamer system where you can transmit HD gaming video processed on your PC with controls sent back to your PC. This would fit into their bigscreen idea or what ever it was called. Local OnLive I guess.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It depends on how well it's marketed really. Would they have any exclusives? For it to work, all Valve games would have to become this-console-only; which is a risky manouvre. Like i don't know if there's much of a market of console gamers looking to jump to PC; and PC gamers likely know how to build a cheaper/better PC. It'd have to have a sales hook and a very easy-to-use interface; even with steam sales I can't see PC gamers flocking to a rigid system.

TBH it's worth a shot but I personally think it'll fail. Console gaming is huge and casual gamers don't have a hook to make the switch rather than the Next-box or PS4. The only one I think who could have a good go at breaking the 3-system console race are Apple - try hook the tech posers who might do casual gaming; make it a media hub too. They have amazing marketing.

Oh Steam-Box? Ice-Box would be better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Fans Want Ep3 Gabe Releases...Steam For Mobile
    Fans Want Ep3 Gabe Releases...SteamBox?
    But i think this could be great and to everybody saying it will be outdated soon The 360 is outdated...Still works Great,Ps3 is outdated..Still works Great.
    This would be MUCH more powerful than those two so i dont see this going "Outdated" For a while it would run alot of games Maxed but in a few years maby medium but still this would Destroy Systems like PS3 an Xbox,Graphics and FPS Wise.Also You wouldnt have to go out and buy a game at gamestop you could just download it via Steam. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It depends on how well it's marketed really. Would they have any exclusives?

Half Life 3.

Game Over. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

HATBU.jpg
    *img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=26382038

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thanks god then so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Valve are still very much focused upon expanding the Steam concept itself, I cannot really see them moving into the console market. They seem to be favoring partnerships, as is evident through Steam becoming available for use on the PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Robi Wan

;)woops, guess it was just a rubbish story by ign

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

al28283 wrote: »
    http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/121/1219072p1.html

Here's an interview with Gabe Newell from 2 weeks ago, it sounds like The Verge jumped the gun with whatever info they had. Certainly doesnt sound like something that will be happeninga anytime soon

told ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Someday people will learn not to believe the valve rumour mill

• Registered Users Posts: 81,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Like I said, Valve are the last people I would expect to kill PC Gaming. Story smelled funny from the get-go.

edit: look at Gabe though, he looks so much more Boss with a beard

valve-well-make-hardware-if-we-have-to-20120220052936856.jpg

fantastic interview by the by.
    We tend to try to avoid being super dictatorial to either customers or partners. Recently I was in a meeting and there’s a company that had a third party DRM solution and we showed them look, this is what happens, at this point in your life cycle your DRM got hacked, right? Now let’s look at the data, did your sales change at all? No, your sales didn’t change one bit. Right? So here’s before and after, here’s where you have DRM that annoys your customers and causing huge numbers of support calls and in theory you would think that you would see a huge drop off in sales after that got hacked, and instead there was absolutely no difference in sales before or after. You know, and then we tell them you actually probably lost a whole bunch of sales as near as we can tell, here’s how much money you lost by bundling that with your product. So we do that all the time, we’re just – you know, I wouldn’t be super happy if some other third party tried to tell me how to have relationships with our customers and I expect other people feel the same way, and I also tend to think that customers don’t really like it when you try to impose rigid rules on them as well, so we tend to think and hope that over time people will move towards doing the things that are in the best interests of both the customers and the content developers.

You know, it’s a really bad idea to start off on the assumption that your customers are on the other side of some sort of battle with you. I really don’t think that is either accurate or a really good business strategy, and so we just sort of keep trying to show – you know, I think that we have a lot more credibility now with developers on issues like this simply because there’s so much data that we can show them where we say look, we’ve run all of these experiments, you know, this has been going on for many years now and we all can look at what the outcomes are and there really isn’t – there are lots of compelling instances where making customers – you know, giving customers a great experience and thinking of ways to create value for them is way more important than making it incredibly hard for the customers to move their products from one machine to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Like I said, Valve are the last people I would expect to kill PC Gaming. Story smelled funny from the get-go.

fantastic interview by the by.

Dude says 'you know' A LOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

and starts new sentences in the middle of existing sentences, sure. Its just part of his philosophy about iterative improvement...

I'd say he looks like santa now but santa would have brought HL 3 already

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

"The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted," Newell reportedly said in an interview with Game Informer.

4703875353_e5a2100efe_b-600x322.jpg

No Steam box? We'll see...

gizmo wrote: »
    The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted

No Steam box? We'll see...

Considering that quote is from 5 years ago and was before he appeared as a keynote speaker for Sony at E3 10, still wouldn't hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

bubblefett wrote: »
    Considering that quote is from 5 years ago and was before he appeared as a keynote speaker for Sony at E3 10, still wouldn't hold my breath
    It was meant to be more of a humorous example. :)

Point being, just because they say they're not working on it or a project similar to it, doesn't mean they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you're not suggesting that corporations lie to the public are you?

Advertisement