Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to learn to play guitar?

• 27-05-2002 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Hello.

Before you answer, note that the actual question is, will I as a solitary individual(I tend not to like people), with a guitar, and the vast resources of teh interweb, and possibly other stuff, be able to learn how to play guitar. I'm not expecting to be playing like a motherf*cker in a week or two or anything. I'm dilligent, have good hand-eye co-ord, and have loads of time. All advice and views welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I say definitely - go for it! I've been learning (on and off) by myself since last July and I'm coming along fine. Not quite Kirk Hammett or Jimi Hendrix yet - quite a while away yet :) A few pitfalls though - it can take ages trying to find info and many, many, useless printouts before you learn to judge what's important. I recommend getting a couple of books to help you along. The two great books I got on recommendation were "Play Electric Guitar" by Tony Burrows (with a cd to practice along with) (ISBN 0-312-24417-7) and "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer (ISBN 0-330-32750-x). The last one is suitable for all levels and covers all the theory - from what to learn first right up to all the chord formations, notes, scales, etc. I couldn't get them local so I ordered them off Amazon.co.uk

If you want to download guitar tabs try http://www.mxtabs.net/guitartabs.php for text tabs, or download the excellent free Powertab Editor - http://powertab.guitarnetwork.org/ and then get the Powertabs at http://pta.bandtabs.com/ and http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk

What you're going to need the most is a lot of patience - first it's frustrating trying to learn chord switches, and then when's it done, it's nothing. Then trying to pick up speed, and so on. But stick with it.

Good luck!

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I learned guitar mainly by listening to music and trying to copy it.

I got an understanding of the chords by a teacher and then by books on theory -why a CMaj is called a Cmaj as opposed to minor etc- and the rest followed.

do you have an idea of what yo uwant to play? If so can you hear it in your head? If so, try slowing it down in your head and copy it on guitar. It's very frustrating though, yes.

It's not easy to play like the greats, but it is easy to put your finger on the fret, and then in time put two fingers on different frets and so on.

As said, go for it, it's great fun - even if you sit for half an hour and play one note - it is great fun.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

In my opinion if you love music and you're fairly patient you'll have no problem. All the resources you'll ever need are on the net. www.tabcrawler.com has got almost every song you could ever want. Also I'd recommend getting a program like "Super Guitar Chord Finder". Can be very useful for learning new chords etc.

I started off by reading up on a few guitar lessons on the net- Mainly just how to read tabs. Then i downloaded the tabs for a few easy songs that i liked (zombie - crannberries, polly - nirvana). And i just kept going on like that - learning new chords and new songs. After a while you'll find barre chords really helpful although tricky at first. After playing for about 6 months i bought an electric guitar (fender strat with 10w amp).

The most importand thing is to love the music - if you do then you'll enjoy playing and you'll stick at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I learned mostly from the internet, try www.wholenote.com and download guitar pro 3 which will allow you to input the name of a chord and it will show you the finger positions and sound of the chord, and the different ways to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

the first month sucks, ur fingers hurt, u sound crap and it doesn't seem like you're getting anywhere, but once those fingers toughen up and you get a few chords under ur belt its great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭pookster

I'd have to agree with alb. I just went out and bought one and got fed up after about 3 weeks. Then I got the riff for Money for Nothing right (easy I know, but not for a beginner), and it was worth it.
    Stuck at it mainly just down loading tab of the net.
    Bought an effects pedal and that made it more interesting again.

Stick at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, my friend's brother gave me a few lessons (about 10), and then it's easy. Once you have the whole changing chords stuff down, and a sense of rhythym built up, the world's your oyster. IMO, it's a little easier to learn, especially scales and soloing, when you have someone in front of you demonstarting proper technique.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

No, its too hard. Dont even try. Having never met you I am sure if you did it you would fail.

Or not....

Yeah, its easy. Give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

hehe, i was just about to post a thread about the same thing :p

thanks for the link to wholenote.com gilbet, it's just the sorta thing i've been lookin for :)

gonna try actually 'learn' to play guitar this summer (as soon as i get my moms guitar restrung for my silly left handedness :p)

i played for a while a few years ago, more learning off songs, rather than chords and theroy just messin about

ive played piano for for about 10yrs now, and i think im fairly musical with a good ear so im hopein i can learn guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DMX

Deffintly go 4 it, im playing wit 2 and a half months, and i can play bout 6/7 songs ranging from Jimmy Eat World -- Hear You me to Stained -- OUtside and lots of riffs, www.acousticguitar.com is a good site 4 some basic chord lessons and da lessons are pretty good, gettin you on ur way with da chord changes and speed and watnot, i've even played in a pub,deffinetly go 4 it, Guitars are da best things since sliced bread, no wait guitars are better than bread itself! LOL :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just saw this on Downloads.com <click meh> . It may give you something helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Thank you everyone for your lovely links.

Now answer me this: Are there any particular brands of acoustic guitar I should either go for or avoid like the plague? To get a "good" guitar and other essentials, how much should it cost? I can spare about €150-200.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If you look hard enough, you could get a good takamine for 250 euro, second hand. It'd be worth saving for if its in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DMX

4 around €175 - €200 u should get a brand new Epiphone (Gibson) acoustic, there pretty good, last 4 ages good sound out of em,

:)

>DMX<

---if u've nothin 2 live then find somethin 2 die 4!---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

It depends what you wanna play,
    There are hundreds of easy songs out there.

But the harder the stuff you wanna play gets the more frustrating it will become. Just keep at it, its only a matter of time before you get it.

I never really took guitar lessons just learned from tabs on the web, they weren't always right but it gives you a starting point.

Learning to play a few simple things is easy just learn a few chords and you'll be ok.

As i've yet to take guitar lessons, i found i know very little /if not nothing of guitar theory, this is something i want to learn.

The stuff on websites isn't great, i can't ask it questions, so i'm gona get lessons and go to music school over the summer.

Another thing about guitars, get money some of the equipment can be very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Its not hard at all. THe only thing is you have to be patient.
    Waiting for the tips of your fingers to callous takes a bit so just keep playin gand playing, even if they're aching. Don't learn to play on a spanish guitar, (one with nylon strings). It'll do nothing for your fingers.

I never took lessons and learned how to play at the start from the Russ SHipton Books. He gives the chords to some pretty good songs, if you lioke the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, John Denver, alot of the old stuff.

A couiple of tab sites worth checking are OLGA (on line guitar archive) and Harmony Central.

Go for it, in about three months you'll be good enough for your intrest to fuel itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Originally posted by bugler
    Hello.

Before you answer, note that the actual question is, will I as a solitary individual(I tend not to like people), with a guitar, and the vast resources of teh interweb, and possibly other stuff, be able to learn how to play guitar. I'm not expecting to be playing like a motherf*cker in a week or two or anything. I'm dilligent, have good hand-eye co-ord, and have loads of time. All advice and views welcome...

Its not as hard as it is time consuming. Its just a matter of practice. You will learn ten times as quickly imho if you are playing guitar with someone who is better than you regularly. I would recommend a few basic lessons (even if from a mate that can play) to teach you chords and the basics. Then go off and scour the intraweb for stuff. Personally I've always prefered to stick on the CD or tape or whatever and work it out myself.

btw hand eye co-ordination is irrelevant comparitivly to having a musical ear of some sort.

It takes a long time to become really good at the guitar. And if anyone replies saying "noe tahts bollix, I am teh win at giutar" and they have only been playing for a few months they are are either 1) Musical geniuses (which I doubt) or 2) complete morons who have no idea of the definition of good. (much more likly really)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PunkPino

i realize this thread is like 8 years old but i had to correct this guy for any other people who happen to stumble upon this thread via google
    darthmise wrote: »
    Don't learn to play on a spanish guitar, (one with nylon strings). It'll do nothing for your fingers.

true, nylon strings probably aren't hard enough for your fingers to build callouses BUT it's stupid to say "don't learn to play classical/spanish guitar". i'd say learn classical first if you want to be a really good guitarist. you will learn really really good left hand technique. plus the music is more of a challenge as you're usually playing both the rhythm melody at the same time.

i first started playing acoustic guitar, then got an electric but still played mostly acoustic. i'm now considering going off to a university to major in music/guitar but to my dismay, all of the universities here require you to play classical/spanish guitar which i have no experience in. i've now been spending all of my time trying to learn classical guitar and i've realized most of my previous guitar experience doesn't even come in handy aside from knowing my chords

here are some things you can do with a classical guitar if you choose to purchase one (tabs are there too)
    Let it Be - Beatles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8FpGDFMfQg
    Bourree - Bach
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAjHfitY5us
    Fur Elise - Beethoven
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9BUlFoTTcw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

yeah that really wasnt worth the bump...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

If you wanted to play in a simple punk band you'd probably be ready after a few months(fairly hard practice mind - you still need decent timing!).

I've been playing for years and I still can't really play metal, but that's because it wasn't really my focus and it's hard to get my head around it. There's no one answer to this. When I started guitar I jammed with another guitarist that had been playing awround the same I had but was way more talented, busting solos and improv out his ass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement