Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PSV Test Advice

• 14-01-2008 1:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi, i recently applied for my PSV test and i know im a bit away from the actual test, but i was wondering if anybody has any advice on material to read before the big day.

i am going to do the one day course closer to the time, but just thought there might of been some stuff i could be reasding up on at the moment to try absorb some more info.

thank guys,
    keith.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

The test will break down into this;

Questions on fare's
    Questions on General road regulations
    Questions on roads in areas, (i.e The Grange Road - One in Donaghmede & Rathfarnam)
    Questions on Ajdjacent roads ( Westmoreland street - Kildare street)
    Questions on routes say from The GAA Museum to Copperface Jacks
    Questions also on Train stations, What is the train station to take you Sligo - Connolly.

I assume your doing the course Mount St? They're very good and without them i would'nt of had a clue as to what to study.

-VB-

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Volvoboy wrote: »
    The test will break down into this;

Questions on fare's
    Questions on General road regulations
    Questions on roads in areas, (i.e The Grange Road - One in Donaghmede & Rathfarnam)
    Questions on Ajdjacent roads ( Westmoreland street - Kildare street)
    Questions on routes say from The GAA Museum to Copperface Jacks
    Questions also on Train stations, What is the train station to take you Sligo - Connolly.

I assume your doing the course Mount St? They're very good and without them i would'nt of had a clue as to what to study.

-VB-

cheers volvoboy, my friend done one and highly recommends it, i dont know where it is but i know the phone number os 6623333. is that the mount street one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Irongirl

anyone happen to know how this exam is scored?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bit OT but assuming you want to stay in your regular 9-5 job as well as driving a taxi, how does getting your tax clearance cert affect you normal PAYE job? Does th etax clearance cert only relate to the taxi-ing ?or will it arse up tax credits and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nialler

kceire

Study study study, well a few hours of it anyway. I did the course with the guys up in mount street a few years ago, eventually went for the test 2 years later and it was still applicable, though I'd completely arsed it but came through it with flying colours.

But what I did a week before is just studied the dublin map, and the papers that I got when I did the course, mapped them all out and passed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Screwthe unions

Stekelly wrote: »
    Bit OT but assuming you want to stay in your regular 9-5 job as well as driving a taxi, how does getting your tax clearance cert affect you normal PAYE job? Does th etax clearance cert only relate to the taxi-ing ?or will it arse up tax credits and the like?

A TCC has no effect on your PAYE status. Youll be sent a tax return form alright...but it only relates to income derived from a self assessment/self employed earnings perspective.

OP bit of advice.....Do the routes first...name as many streets as you can,they look for six,but name every street you can...youll get extra for it.

Know your major landmarks....Chester Beaty Library is where?????
    Farmleigh house is where?????...Know your hospitals...did you know theres over 30 in the Greater Dublin area??

Best of luck mate!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭mark2000ie

Is there anywhere you can find all the information to study for the psv test or do you have to do the course?

mark2000ie wrote: »
    Is there anywhere you can find all the information to study for the psv test or do you have to do the course?

I searched and searched and the only material out there is the course notes. i did the PSV training course up in mount street and it was great!

have my test on satuarday, not 100% sure if i will pass at this moment in time, but i will do it to see how i get on!

being writing out routes from the course all week, what i think will get me is the hotel loctions and maybe some of the hospitals.

A TCC has no effect on your PAYE status. Youll be sent a tax return form alright...but it only relates to income derived from a self assessment/self employed earnings perspective.

OP bit of advice.....Do the routes first...name as many streets as you can,they look for six,but name every street you can...youll get extra for it.

Know your major landmarks....Chester Beaty Library is where?????
    Farmleigh house is where?????...Know your hospitals...did you know theres over 30 in the Greater Dublin area??

Best of luck mate!!

cheers mate, we were told that in the course too, seemly the say "name all roads", but you only have to name 6 to get the full marks for the question or if you can name 8 you will get a bonus mark.

100 questions in 1 hour and you need 70% for a pass :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Scooby_Doo

can anyone tell me how long the wait was from applying to your local garda station, to actually getting a test date? i left the application in to the guards and have heard nothing since and that was back in Jan.??

• Advertisement

Scooby_Doo wrote: »
    can anyone tell me how long the wait was from applying to your local garda station, to actually getting a test date? i left the application in to the guards and have heard nothing since and that was back in Jan.??

i applied on the 1st Dec and got a letter mid Feb to say my test was 1st march.

ring the psv carraige office in dublin castle and give them your name and they can tell you if your on the list or still being processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭finno

Hi does anyone how much this course costs?
    I have my test in Nov.

Thanks

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

finno wrote: »
    Hi does anyone how much this course costs?
    I have my test in Nov.

Thanks

course is circa 325 euro to do over a full day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 noeliec

hi all , what car would you advise to use as a wheelchair accessable taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Fiat Scudo is the best option for a WAT. With 3 rear facing foldup seats you can still carry 7/8 passengers, depending on the front cabin layout, without a wheelchair passenger on board. Most other mini-buses will only be licensed for 5 passengers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement