Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4 new tyres

• 20-02-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What recommendations could you give for tyre brand - relative to price & performance?
    If this has been covered already, please pass on the link.

Size: 205 / 55 / 16
    Car: Audi A3 1.6

I would like to spend less rather than more but good performance would be priority.
    I have been ringing garages and get big differences in price for same tyres.
    For example I have been quoted 105 -> 128 euro for same Continental tyre!

continental / bridgestone / michelin tyres or are there lesser known brands (to me :confused: ) that would give as good a performance.

I guess I would do 10-15k kilometres a year.
    The more I read on different sites, the more confusing the possibilities.

Tks
    Shaun

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

That is a very common size which means that the price gap between budget, middle of the road and premium brand tyres is not that great. The cheapest ditchfinders you can find will probably be around €65 each whereas a premium brand tyre will only be €25-30 more. So if I were you I would spend the extra as it will be well worth it in the long run.

In my opinion the best value out there at the moment in that size is the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 which should be widely available at less than €100 per corner fitted and balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I got 4 Kumho Ecstas KU 39's a few weeks back and so far I'm very impressed. Reviews are very favourable.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=61949

4 of them delivered to you in a day and will cost you €265, so fitted all in will cost you around €300. You could do much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Fizman wrote: »
    I got 4 Kumho Ecstas KU 39's a few weeks back and so far I'm very impressed. Reviews are very favourable.

4 of them delivered to you in a day and will cost you €265, so fitted all in will cost you around €300. You could do much worse.

+1 for Kumho KU 39's

I'm on my second set of them in size 235/40 R 18 on an A4.
    Excellent tires IMO. Great value from camskill's at around €550 fitted versus around €830 from eiretyres and fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Thanks guys, I never seen that brand before. I will check it out.

Time to show my lack of car knowledge!
    If I bought the tyres, what would be a reasonable price to expect a garage to fit them?
    As I have never done much more than change a flat tyre once or twice, is there anything I need to look out for when ordering, I mean would they be ok to go on my existing alloys?

Tks
    Shaun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Look at your own tyres to make sure you buy the same load and speed rating. Or higher.

tyre_v1.gif

Apart from that it's easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't be overly worried about speed ratings in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wes31

That is a very common size which means that the price gap between budget, middle of the road and premium brand tyres is not that great. The cheapest ditchfinders you can find will probably be around €65 each whereas a premium brand tyre will only be €25-30 more. So if I were you I would spend the extra as it will be well worth it in the long run.

In my opinion the best value out there at the moment in that size is the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 which should be widely available at less than €100 per corner fitted and balanced.

agree 100% i run turenza er300 on one car getting 30000 miles out of the front set and 60000 miles out of the back very good tyre at 90 euro a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

+1
    i love my kumhos

Thanks everyone, quite helpful. I'll certainly look into the Kumho Ecstas KU 39 after doing a little more reading up on them. Makes sense if I can save a few quid

• Advertisement

I brought the 4 tyres to Midwest Tyres in Limerick and got them fitted/tracked/balanced for €50. Some places price on size. Mine were 225/40/18, so you may get it for a little cheaper. €50 imo is very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I brought the 4 tyres to Midwest Tyres in Limerick and got them fitted/tracked/balanced for €50. Some places price on size. Mine were 225/40/18, so you may get it for a little cheaper. €50 imo is very good though.

That is a very good price for fitting/balancing, a few years ago they wanted €25 a corner from me to do the same. Got the impression that they didn't want to fit tyres they didn't sell. Ended up getting them fitted across the road for €10 a corner.

I guess the recession has changed their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

i bought part worn tires
    got kumos for the front of my car with 6 mm grip left for 20 euro each fitted and ballenced
    car sticks to the road with them great tire imo

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

I'm looking for the same tyre... where stocks the bridgestones???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I got that size fitted recently - went for Pirelli P7's. Can't fault them and they were €90/fitted each.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Depends where you are, Their fairly popular though, Atleast 3 of the 4 guys I priced locally the last time stocked bridgestones.

A friend told me that Michelin tyres would be quieter with less rolling noise, have less rolling resistance, meaning more fuel efficiency and more mileage but dearer.
    Would this be true measured against the Kumhos?
    Sorry I don't have the specific name of the Michelin tyre

Well previous to the Ku 39s, I had Falken 452's, another decent tyre. I find the Kumhos considerably quieter than those. Very satisfied when cruising along. I can't comment on the Michelins (I'm assuming you're referring to the PS3's) but for the money I'd imagine they are also pretty quiet.

Advertisement