Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oiche Nollag na mBan

• 16-10-2003 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Apologies for the lack of Irish/spelling, but does anyone have the text of this poem? I studied it for my leaving, but can't find it anywhere. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Can't find it on Google. It's not in the public domain yet anyway. You'll just have to buy a book that contains the poem or photocopy it in a library, I suppose. (or mug some leaving cert students!:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sunflower!!

Hi sorry but does anybody know what this poem is about? Im in 6th year and have no clue!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Hi sorry but does anybody know what this poem is about? Im in 6th year and have no clue!!!

I don't have the text to hand either, but it's about Little Christmas Eve (The eve of January 6th, or the last day of Christmas), which is referred to as Nollaig na mBan in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Múinteoir wrote: »
    I don't have the text to hand either, but it's about Little Christmas Eve (The eve of January 6th, or the last day of Christmas), which is referred to as Nollaig na mBan in Irish.

There's loads about the codarsnacht idir solas an coinneal agus dorcha an oíche srl srl.

Nach bhfuil leabhair agat a sunflower? De gnáth tá achoimre ann duit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

Don't have the text to hand either but it goes alittle like this!
    Bhí fuinneamh sa stoirm a d'éalaigh aréir, aréir oíche Nollag na mBan
    As gealt-teach iargúlta atá lasitiar den ré, is do scréach tríd an spéir le scread......
    It abour Ó Ríorain's attitude to death. Basically he's talking about a terrible storm that blew on January 5th and how he'd like a storm like that to blow the night he dies as he doesn't want to know that death is slipping up on him. It's got all the trademarks of an Ríordanach,
    there's the alliteration and internal rhyme along the lines of "geata an chomharsan ag gíoscadh mar ghogallach gé", an "bhúir abhainn shlaghdánach mar tharbh". he also talks about the candle of life being extinguished like a slap in the mouth. There's defiance and despondency all rolled into one. it's one of ghe greatest poems written in any language that i can think of (not that i'm especially well-read!). Once again, the above quotations are from memory and may not be 100% accurate, DON'T QUOTE THEM!!!!
    you won't find it on the web, his publishers are zealous in their protection of copyright, as is their right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Summary of everything you need to know about this poem.

http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/homeworkzone.asp?id=3785

SKOOOL.IE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Don't have the text to hand either but it goes alittle like this!
    Bhí fuinneamh sa stoirm a d'éalaigh aréir, aréir oíche Nollag na mBan
    As gealt-teach iargúlta atá lasitiar den ré, is do scréach tríd an spéir le scread......
    It abour Ó Ríorain's attitude to death. Basically he's talking about a terrible storm that blew on January 5th and how he'd like a storm like that to blow the night he dies as he doesn't want to know that death is slipping up on him. It's got all the trademarks of an Ríordanach,
    there's the alliteration and internal rhyme along the lines of "geata an chomharsan ag gíoscadh mar ghogallach gé", an "bhúir abhainn shlaghdánach mar tharbh". he also talks about the candle of life being extinguished like a slap in the mouth. There's defiance and despondency all rolled into one. it's one of ghe greatest poems written in any language that i can think of (not that i'm especially well-read!). Once again, the above quotations are from memory and may not be 100% accurate, DON'T QUOTE THEM!!!!
    you won't find it on the web, his publishers are zealous in their protection of copyright, as is their right.

By any chance could you recommend a particular collection to get that would include most of his poems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

pog it wrote: »
    By any chance could you recommend a particular collection to get that would include most of his poems?
    The easiest and biggest collection of his poetry to get is Scáthán Véarsaí . It's got a selection fom all his major collections, but not Oíche Nollag na mBan :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cuach

Oiche Nollaig na mBan
    Sean O'Riordain

Bhi fuinneamh sa stoirm a ealaigh areir,
    Areir Oiche Nollaig na mBan,
    As gealt-teach iargulta 'ta laistiar den re
    is do scread trid an speir chughainn 'na gealt,
    Gur ghiosc geatai comharsan mar ghogallach ge,
    Gur bhuir abhainn slaghdanach mar tharbh,
    Gur muchadh mo choinneal mar bhuille ar mo bheal
    A las 'na splanc obann an fhearg.

Ba mhaith liom go dtiocfadh an stoirm sin fein
    An oiche go mbeadsa go lag
    Ag filleadh abhaile o rince an tsaoil
    Is solas an pheaca ag dul as,
    Go lionfai gach neomat le liuraigh on speir,
    Go ndeanfai don domhan scuaine scread,
    Is na cloisfinn an ciuneas ag gluaiseacht fam dhein,
    Na inneal an ghluaisteain ag stad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sligoer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emf91

personally i always thought it was about two things:
    1. the poets attitude to death
    * 2. a struggle with depression.

* im focusin more on point two than one purely because i know people will ask where i got the whole struggle with depression thing from and there alot of sources that talk bout his attitude toward death. and i no for some my explanation will sound stupid but bare in mind this is the first time i have seen the poem in 3 yrs since i done the leaving myself and i dont have the translation so i was alil limited as im writing this from memory

1.the contrast between the light of the candle and the dark of the night
    you can see he has a strong faith I.e. "returning home" etc but he is afraid of the moment of death he doesnt want to hear the quietness he doesnt want to hear the "engine" stopping

2. the struggle with a mental illness like depression/bipolar disorder, well this is merely a personal interpretation since the first i read the poem, so get your teachers advice before ya use it as an answer.
    a rage can come on all of a sudden, out of nowhere (from behind the moon) he also makes reference to "an gealt" and the "gealt-teach".
    and then the sudden change from so busy and destructive in the first paragraph to the calm of the second.

"Gur muchadh mo choinneal mar bhuille ar mo bheal
    A las 'na splanc obann an fhearg."

the quenching of the candle changes the tone of the poem everything goes quiet afterwards, like his energy has been lost

( a tip for doing irish poetry for the LC. find something in the poems u can relate to..... if you can relate to it your more likely to remember it.... and when asked themes etc make sure u have quotes to back up what you are saying.)

Advertisement