Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any benefits of deep rim wheels on a road bike

• 31-01-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Are there any benefits of putting deep rim wheels on a road bike?
    I use the bike for triathlons and have aero bars, just looking to see if there are any further gains to be had.

Obviously would love to buy a dedicated tri bike, but budget doesn't allow for that.

Cheers,

NT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

I'm novice, but I put deep dishes on and found great downhill speed. I was worried about cracking them at the start but got a pair with alloy rims and had no problems. I started out with 60's front and back, found it slightly too deep up front at the start due to windage. I'm now slightly shallower and slightly better.

Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pointy hat, skinsuit, aero booties, power meter, bike fit, wind tunnel time, disc wheel, RTC shifters.

Training.

It's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Power meter and good coach before bling wheels...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,777 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    Pointy hat, skinsuit, aero booties, power meter, bike fit, wind tunnel time, disc wheel, RTC shifters.

Training.

It's all good.
    Something not too dissimilar to this:
    4524267678_beaae1c736.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Browneire, what type of wheels did you purchase?

Lumen, I'd love to invest in them all, However, training I am investing in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Bling effect !!! worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

levitronix wrote: »
    Bling effect !!! worth every penny

adds an extra 5 km/hr even when stationary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

@needstraining I started with 58mm clinchers from quasar. (dutch company). I recently changed for a set of Mavic Carbone SLs which have yet to see any proper road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

ruota_2_pop.jpg

is that the proper name for the "deep rims"? what is the cost for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

from a few years ago

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/tour-tech-road-stage-bikes-go-aero-17652/
    Deep-section wheels once reserved solely for races against the clock have now become de rigueur for all but the most demanding climbing stages and rims as deep as 100mm are relatively common, especially for domestiques who are often charged with pushing the pace at the front of the peloton.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

They look good and make a great sound....

What more do you have to know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

From what I have read I think it is a trade off between your average speed and the type of course you will be riding.
    If your average speed is greater than 40Kph on a flat course you should benefit from using disks and deeper sections, whereas if the course is draggy with technical descents causing your av speed to go below 40 Kph, the extra weight of aero wheels on this course could be a more significant penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

They make a bike look good..

20120130150114001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

This may have help - Biggest bang for your buck in time trial equipment - interesting article.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Beasty wrote: »
    Something not too dissimilar to this:
    4524267678_beaae1c736.jpg

Goes to show dunnit?

All that money spent, and still can't afford "cool". :(

Advertisement