Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of living in perth

• 23-02-2012 12:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭

hi,im arriving into perth in march with two mates.my two mates however are flying to kalgoorlie for a mines workshop as thats where they will be working ,so for the first month i am on my own

just wanting to find out how much i will be paying for a hostel per week. the price of buying basic foodstuffs. the price of a pint etc

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bit of a vague question but...

Pasta - $1 a bag (Coles brand)

Rice - $2 a kilo

Chicken - $13 for four fillets

Steak - $12 for two Porterhouses (in the supermarket, not a restaurant)

Pint - $10 in the city

Hostel - Depends on what you want to be sharing with, as low as $30 a night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

a tenner for a pint :eek:
    im a guinness only drinker. whats the local sauce over there like?

a tenner for a pint :eek:

Yep a tenner in the city, about $8.50 in the local. Guinness is in that bracket too. It's relative to wages though and you will find it expensive because of the crap euro.

Local beer is fine, plenty to choose from, but not significantly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,906 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Uninspiring, I'm afraid.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yep a tenner in the city, about $8.50 in the local. Guinness is in that bracket too. It's relative to wages though and you will find it expensive because of the crap euro.

do they assume that everyone works on the mines or something?
    what about the low skill low pay workers in perth. how do they survive?
    im a part qualified accountant,im really apprehensive about the move if im being honest. i'd command wages here of about €29-32k but i fear that if im lucky enough to find work over there,id be unable to live on that money there

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

do they assume that everyone works on the mines or something?
    what about the low skill low pay workers in perth. how do they survive?
    im a part qualified accountant,im really apprehensive about the move if im being honest. i'd command wages here of about €29-32k but i fear that if im lucky enough to find work over there,id be unable to live on that money there

The price of a pint isn't the best thing to be concentrating on. Food is not expensive if you buy supermarket brands and you can rent a room in a good area for about $150-$200 a week.

When you consider casual workers (30 hour week) get paid about $25-$30 an hour before tax to work in Target or Kmart then it's fairly alright.

Once you're settled with a job and a place to live (get out of hostels ASAP) it's fine. I wouldn't be here five years if it wasn't.

how hard is it to get your own place. there will be 3 of us. the lads are away for 4 weeks when we arrive doing workshops but we would be looking to get accomodation asap. we are all early 30's and are going to oz to work,not travel up and down the coasts getting pished

Tbh it's quite hard at the moment as the number of places available for rent has decreased a lot lately. I'm looking for somewhere myself at the moment and competition is high.

Best advice I can give you is to come prepared - if you have written references from landlords back home then bring them.

If there's three of you and pay say $450 all up you would have the budget for a very decent spot if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

With regards to food, buy whats on offer in the supermarkets, Woolworths have similar deals to Tesco e.g. half price, buy one get one free.

My butcher does 1kg of chicken fillets for $9
    Fruit, buy in season and again buy what's on offer.

I'm here a month, everything seems dear at first but when you compare it to the minimum wage e.g. about $18 it makes sense.

Are you coming on a WHV? I'm here a month and struggling to get work, masters degree in business but no experience, had the odd days labouring here and there, I'd love something related to my qualification but the WHV is designed more for casual jobs.

how hard is it to get your own place. there will be 3 of us. the lads are away for 4 weeks when we arrive doing workshops but we would be looking to get accomodation asap. we are all early 30's and are going to oz to work,not travel up and down the coasts getting pished
    Be careful when handing over your bond, I have heard of cases where somebody poses as the landlord, takes your cash and thats the end of it.

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    With regards to food, buy whats on offer in the supermarkets, Woolworths have similar deals to Tesco e.g. half price, buy one get one free.

My butcher does 1kg of chicken fillets for $9
    Fruit, buy in season and again buy what's on offer.

I'm here a month, everything seems dear at first but when you compare it to the minimum wage e.g. about $18 it makes sense.

Are you coming on a WHV? I'm here a month and struggling to get work, masters degree in business but no experience, had the odd days labouring here and there, I'd love something related to my qualification but the WHV is designed more for casual jobs.
    yeah coming on a whv. i have a batchelors degree in business with 3 acca accounting exams done,i have over 7 years work experience though so hopefully that should stand to me. im just going to be up front and honest with prospective employers and say that i have come to australia for strictly work and would be looking for sponsorship

cheers xavi for helpful advice :cool:

yeah coming on a whv. i have a batchelors degree in business with 3 acca accounting exams done,i have over 7 years work experience though so hopefully that should stand to me. im just going to be up front and honest with prospective employers and say that i have come to australia for strictly work and would be looking for sponsorship

cheers xavi for helpful advice :cool:
    I'm not trying to dampen your spirits, I'm just gonna tell you from my experience so far.

The minute an employer see's on your resume that your here on a WHV, they'll put down the resume and pick up another. The fact a person can only work for the same company for 6 months means that employers have no interest in a person with a WHV.

Hopefully that wont be the case with you, but just be prepared.

but cant an employer sponsor you at the end of the 6 months.
    i'll more than likely deal with recruitment agencies, i started a thread here before asking for some reputable ones but hussey the moderator deemed it a worthless thread and deleted it :confused:

i'll be telling the agencies i am here for the long haul and they in turn will communicate this to companies who might be hiring long term themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Im like yourself i want to move over there strictly for work and to settle so what im doing is trying to get sponsership before i go just applying everywhere online, im going over in oct i do computer networking plenty of work and great pay just hoping i sort something before i go.

good stuff. ive just been online and applied to a range of places i found on seek.com,as well as michealpages. ive also emailed 4 recruitment consultants directly with a cv and cover letter,stressing the fact im looking for sponsorship and two have got back to me already and thats with the time difference

i reckon if companies see you're not an early twenty something and you're there for work,they'll take an interest ( and thats not a slight on anyone ,its actually unfair that the serious people get lumped in with the backpackers)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Ya i see what you mean im 28 nothing for me here done alot research and if im lucky to get a job in what i do over there i could easily afford a place to myself for around 270 dollars a week, im bringing over enough to do me for a good while.

are you doing the fruit picking or construction work to get 2nd year visa?

im 31 now so the second visa aint an option. the pressure will be on to get sponosored. but im not going to rush it, if if happens, it happens. if not, at least i'l have a years experience in a great country

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

i just returned from oz before xmas and im wondering what im still doing here in ireland!! The biggest problem i had over there was the fact that employers see ur on a WHV and arent interested as mentioned above, so for a finish i didnt mention it in my CV at least if you get an interview you can personally give them a gurantee that ur not gonna skip off after 6 months. Lucky i have the second yr visa, now all i need is the money to get back dere!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If someone in Perth is looking for reginal work, I got this txt today...

If u have retic install exp, can work away for 3 months in Northam, €38hr Call 0413 454 061 Selena Labourforce
    - by VisualGSM Lite, Visualtron.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MJOAP

Hi,

Register with Seek.com.au, Michael Page, and Hays.
    You can go into these websites and create "search filters".

Get qualified ASAP and then you will be eligible for skilled independent visa.

Best of luck

• Advertisement

i think my bachelors business degree qualifies me for the skilled workers visa

i registered with the above 3 last week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

1)
    i'll more than likely deal with recruitment agencies, i started a thread here before asking for some reputable ones but hussey the moderator deemed it a worthless thread and deleted it :confused:
    2) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77266670
    im surprised yout thread lasted this long,some of the mods on here are right prissy about obeying the forum charter that moses himself brought down from mount zion
    3) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056549210

Mod - ENOUGH, stop acting like a child, now you can get get over it or stay away ... up to you

this cat has claws icon_uhoh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

this cat has claws icon_uhoh.gif

Mod - I warned ya. Anymore personal jibes towards Mods here and next one will be perm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement