Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CEX on Upper Liffey Street (Dublin) - Now Open

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 aceofwands

o1s1n wrote: »
    If they price something incorrectly you are not automatically entitled to it. A shop does not have to sell anything to you.

Maybe that's why so many shops are going down the toilet in this country then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

aceofwands wrote: »
    I have to say that in circumstances like this, it's the customer I feel bad for. It's not their fault that the staff members messed up. I worked in retail for more than 10 years and I know I'd rather give the sale to the customer for that price and have them come back again and again, as opposed to losing a sale (and reputation). But it's par for the course for game stores (especially CEX and GAME) to cop an attitude about things that really don't dip into their wages. Some counter staff are horribly rude to the public.

If you've worked in retail then you know that there are less scrupulous customers who won't have any hesitation to switch price stickers around to scam you.

If you've worked in retail then you know that there are less scrupulous customers who won't have any hesitation to switch price stickers around to scam you.

In all of the countries I've worked in, I can honestly say I've never had that problem. The nearest thing would've been a customer removing the price tag, then asking for the game to be scanned to check its current price.

But I know stuff like that goes on. It's just never happened to me.

If I could tie the GTA situation into this comment also, the prices in CEX can't be switched by customers, and not just because the adhesive wouldn't stick the same way the second time around. The name of the game, as well as the format, are all mentioned on the price tag. Also, the name of the employee who bought the game in is mentioned on the sticker. With that in mind, if I were the manager, I'd have sold it to the customer for the price mentioned, then held said employee accountable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its just recently particularly bad customer service recently. i went in there last week, bought Up on blu ray. Opened the case soon as I left the till, found out it was the dvd. Went back to the till to exchange it, got told 'they gave me the blu ray' I pointed out The receipt was from 2 minutes ago and I hadn't left the shop, they were pretty huffy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

In all of the countries I've worked in, I can honestly say I've never had that problem. The nearest thing would've been a customer removing the price tag, then asking for the game to be scanned to check its current price.

But I know stuff like that goes on. It's just never happened to me.

If I could tie the GTA situation into this comment also, the prices in CEX can't be switched by customers, and not just because the adhesive wouldn't stick the same way the second time around. The name of the game, as well as the format, are all mentioned on the price tag. Also, the name of the employee who bought the game in is mentioned on the sticker. With that in mind, if I were the manager, I'd have sold it to the customer for the price mentioned, then held said employee accountable.
    I've seen customers in my store switch prices. If the sticker is recent, it can peel off and be put on a new case perfectly fine. I've also seen people switching the cases and the sleeves/covers when the stickers wouldn't peel nicely.

The employee name bit is incorrect. CeX can get price changes any time, any day, and these are just mass-printed off. The name on those stickers is of the employee who printed them all, which in my case, is rarely the person who applies them to the products (although it may be different in the Dublin store). There's no way for the customer to tell what employee bought in the product once there's been a single relabel, because the stickers are slightly different.

As mentioned, the store actually doesn't have to sell you the item at the lower price. There's no entitlement to that price (which hasn't stopped customers shouting made-up laws at me over it). In my store at least, we always, always discount the price if it scans in higher. We don't have to, but it's good customer service. However, in this case, it was a different game entirely, so I personally wouldn't have sold it as a copy of GTA IV, either. There's no way to tell that the customer didn't swap the labels, and trust me, some people do it. It would also mess up stock levels. If there's a sticker for a 50c movie on a Star Wars BluRay collection, I'm not going to sell it to you for 50c. I'll apologize for the mistake, and relabel it, but I won't sell it to you at that price. I understand there's not a massive price difference between GTA IV and Episodes, but if you start doing discounts like that, word gets around and suddenly there'd be a spike in mislabelled items... :rolleyes:

However, I don't see why the staff member couldn't have adjusted the stock level at the till/relabelled it and just sold it to you as the Episodes version.

Obviously I don't represent the views of CeX as a company, just offering what information and personal advice I can :)

• Advertisement

Cex in the UK is ten times better :rolleyes: I was back over in birkenhead recently, there's a new ish store there, been in there a few times. Fast service, staff were friendly, didn't look at me like I was an annoyance, got in and out, got what I wanted, even got a recommendation for a PS3 games(which I bought from there, obvious sales thing) and its awesome :D

I mean I work in retail too, I get people can have bad days, some customers are shockingly unscrupulous, paticularly there. But I pop in there most days I'm in town, 3 times a week or so, buy things at least once a week, and the past few times or so, its been awful customer service, bad disc quality, etc. I know the guy with the ponytail though he's awesome. Even if I'm having a bad day, not in the best mood, I try to be polite at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

cloud493 wrote: »
    Cex in the UK is ten times better :rolleyes: I was back over in birkenhead recently, there's a new ish store there, been in there a few times. Fast service, staff were friendly, didn't look at me like I was an annoyance, got in and out, got what I wanted, even got a recommendation for a PS3 games(which I bought from there, obvious sales thing) and its awesome :D

I mean I work in retail too, I get people can have bad days, some customers are shockingly unscrupulous, paticularly there. But I pop in there most days I'm in town, 3 times a week or so, buy things at least once a week, and the past few times or so, its been awful customer service, bad disc quality, etc. I know the guy with the ponytail though he's awesome. Even if I'm having a bad day, not in the best mood, I try to be polite at least.

I can totally understand that. It's easy to say at CeX that the staff member was probably just having an off-day, because every now and then, you can get some vicious customers. But if you visit often and it's a regular thing, feel free to just have a word with someone. I've had a customer look to speak to a manager because a colleague was unpleasant. I've also had one looking to speak to a manager to compliment me, which was awesome. If the manager doesn't know about it, the situation can't be improved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I heard about this store on here, so when I was in town and passed it in went in to check it out.

The song they had playing, be it Radio or CD was "Black Lace - Agadoo" , I looked around to see if anyone else found this funny and a bit weird and then walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I understand that, i work in retail myself, we usually give it to customers for the incorrect price to keep them happy, was worth chancing my arm in the same circumstances.

Ah yeah I know what you mean, and I've always thought that whenever it happens shops should do the 'right' thing and and sell it for that price.

But then if you look at the flip side, some poor sod probably priced that incorrectly. The people at the bottom of the food chain always take the flack for things like this.

I remember a few years back, there was some Apple product (I think a mini PC) priced really incorrectly on the Kays Catalogue website. Loads of boards.ies bought one, including myself.

We were all pissed that they didn't honour it. They did give us all a really big % discount voucher though (may have been as high as 40%)

But then I got thinking about whoever put that up on the site must have gotten a right bollocking. May have even been fired, who knows.
    Maybe that's why so many shops are going down the toilet in this country then.

So many shops are going down the toilet because there's a global recession, the Euro is on the brink of doom and nobody has any money to buy things. Saying it's down to shops not honouring mispriced items is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Pardon the silly question :

Do any decent shops not have barcodes on each game?
    Update the price of a game in your database to cover the sticker swap?

Although the thought of a pre-owned type game just came to me.
    So the barcode of a new copy of a game would be the same as the pre-owned.

Must be some way of doing this.

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I heard about this store on here, so when I was in town and passed it in went in to check it out.

The song they had playing, be it Radio or CD was "Black Lace - Agadoo" , I looked around to see if anyone else found this funny and a bit weird and then walked out.

You think that's bad, you should've been in there last week when they were playing "See My Vest" by Mr Burns. I like the CEX in Belfast, and their stores in London are really good too. It's just a pity that the service isn't all it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

eddhorse wrote: »
    Pardon the silly question :

Do any decent shops not have barcodes on each game?
    Update the price of a game in your database to cover the sticker swap?

Although the thought of a pre-owned type game just came to me.
    So the barcode of a new copy of a game would be the same as the pre-owned.

Must be some way of doing this.

If their database had fields for each product with stock levels and prices for both new and pre-owned then it's work, it's just down to the software and database design tbh.

o1s1n wrote: »

So many shops are going down the toilet because there's a global recession, the Euro is on the brink of doom and nobody has any money to buy things. Saying it's down to shops not honouring mispriced items is laughable.

Wouldn't you agree that when times are financially bad, it's all about making sales? Isn't that what GAME stores are trying to do right now with their stock, reducing prices to stay alive? Look at 3D Games; they didn't alter their prices to reflect the current economical climate (30 euro on some of their PS2 games), and where are they now?

My point is, it's better to have some money coming in than none.

Their UK stores are brilliant, in my opinion. Been into Cex's all over the map, had reasonably good service. But I'm honestly being put off by the staff in Dublin Cex. I prefer to buy stuff in HMV, even if its a few quid cheap, get less credit when I trade in, cos staff are always polite at least, most of the time friendly. Good customer relations are key in times like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Are the prices on the website accurate for what they offer on trade in?

Also is there any number you can call to ask about things not listed on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Are the prices on the website accurate for what they offer on trade in?

Also is there any number you can call to ask about things not listed on the website?

The prices listed are accurate, yes. From my experiences trading with them, at least.

Also, I'm not sure about a phone number, but if you search on their UK website, their trade-in prices are generally consistent with its Irish counterpart, and their library is a lot more expansive, so I've found it to be handy when stumped on a price or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    The prices listed are accurate, yes. From my experiences trading with them, at least.

Also, I'm not sure about a phone number, but if you search on their UK website, their trade-in prices are generally consistent with its Irish counterpart, and their library is a lot more expansive, so I've found it to be handy when stumped on a price or two.

Thanks that's good to know

It's okay I actually found what I was looking for, just had to use the search to find listings they didn't have in stock, is there any easier way to see that stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭JBG2011

Rather than start a new thread I'll necro bump this one.

Only found out about CEX this week and made my maiden visit today. Had an awful lot of stuff to trade in, and got a fair bit of cash in return.

CEX's trade in prices for cash or store credit is pretty good, 9/10 they are better than Gamestop or HMV. They'll also buy a lot of stuff other places won't touch. I had a hassle free experience despite spending about an hour at the counter sorting out all my trade ins. I had a quick look about the shelves and didn't see many bargains, a lot of their games for sale are overpriced, but I'd wager that most people that buy stuff there are partially using store credit on their trade ins and CEX effectively make their money on the cash handed in to make up the difference.

I felt very sorry for the staff working there as it must truly be one of the toughest retail jobs around. All of the staff appeared to be quite pleasant people but you can see how they can get jaded and CEX stores have an awful reputation in the UK for customer care and rudeness to punters. For the first half an hour I was there all of the punters were grand, mainly regular joes and a few foreigners trading games or phones. However, at about 4pm the place became something like the Walking Dead with swarms of trackies and druggies wandering in trying to fence loot. I had heard about this happening but it was eye opening to see it in the flesh. Scumbags were walking in with what were obviously stolen mobile phones and laptops, wanting straight cash. One guy had a gorgeous lime green laptop that was so hot it was positively glowing. The staff wouldn't buy from him as he had no ID and it was obvious that he couldn't even work the thing. The staff are no fools: one of them asked to switch off and on a mobile and the trackie wasn't able to input the pin unlock, so obviously nicked. The behaviour of these guys was borderline aggressive and there was an uncomfortable atmosphere in there. At one point the staff announced there were no longer handing out cash ("our tills are closed") to make it clear to the scumbags that they weren't playing ball.

Great place to trade stuff, so long as you have ID and proof of address and are realistic about the valuation CEX put on your goods. You obviously won't get anywhere near as good a deal as you would selling on ebay, adverts etc, but its better than other trade in outlets. Wouldn't really recommend buying anything straight with cash as the cash only shelf prices are uncompetitive. Furthermore, I wouldn't buy electronics there as you are always taking a risk with second hand phones etc and I doubt they have the after sales infrastructure to help you out in any meaningful way.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Seen a guy last week with an iphone he had no charger for, and didn't know the pin to unlock the screen :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The junkies would put you off going in. I've left on 2 occasions having been in the queue to pay only for scumbags to skip in line and begin harassing everyone in the shop.

Definitely needs security staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's hard to see just what they're going for there. I've been to CEX shops in Britain in the past and they were proper videogame shops - sold new releases, consoles and imports. Now it's just an electronics and DVD pawn shop.

You wouldn't buy anything there because it's all overpriced, it's unpleasant to visit because of miserable staff and junkies trying to flog Dunnes bags full of nicked DVDs and phones. People don't seem to buy stuff there, they just sell stuff so it's hard to see where they're making their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've seen a fair few people buying phones and DVDs there. I've bought 3 games there in 18 months, 2 of which were €2 PSP games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

It's hard to see just what they're going for there. I've been to CEX shops in Britain in the past and they were proper videogame shops - sold new releases, consoles and imports. Now it's just an electronics and DVD pawn shop.

You wouldn't buy anything there because it's all overpriced, it's unpleasant to visit because of miserable staff and junkies trying to flog Dunnes bags full of nicked DVDs and phones. People don't seem to buy stuff there, they just sell stuff so it's hard to see where they're making their money.

their making their money everyday
    the amount of cheap games,dvds,ipods,ipads etc... in their is unreal

example
    fifa 13
    gamestop its 55e brand new 49.99 pre owned ( trade in value less then 10e)
    hmv 44.99 new trade in value (18e)
    cex 39.99 pre owned trade in value (24e)

its cheaper in cex and they give better trade in values
    and that game is basicly new

But people need to buy stuff, not just trade in. Also a fair few of their game prices are way out of date.

saiint wrote: »
    their making their money everyday
    the amount of cheap games,dvds,ipods,ipads etc... in their is unreal

example
    fifa 13
    gamestop its 55e brand new 49.99 pre owned ( trade in value less then 10e)
    hmv 44.99 new trade in value (18e)
    cex 39.99 pre owned trade in value (24e)

its cheaper in cex and they give better trade in values
    and that game is basicly new

Yes but that €39.99 CEX are charging becomes €51.99 when you realise you have to spend €12 on an online pass if you want to play the game online, making it more expensive than buying it new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've traded in a few things in there without any issues, but I felt very uncomfortable being handed cash over the counter with all the scummers hanging around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Yes but that €39.99 CEX are charging becomes €51.99 when you realise you have to spend €12 on an online pass if you want to play the game online, making it more expensive than buying it new.

not if you have had the game before ;)
    with your post your basicly saying their cheap and ea are ripping us off :pac:
    you cant say cex are involved for that cheapest games around i think
    bar one or two titles which may differ
    hell i think i even seen assassins creed 3 in their for 42.99 and black ops 2 for 42.99

No I'm saying CEX's prices are too high when its a mere fiver cheaper than buying the new version. Also that you don't even get the full package when you buy from them but their prices don't reflect this.

Their prices are high considering there's two gamestops and a HMV very close it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

have to say the trade in prices on some of their games on the website looks pretty good. I've got a couple I'm finished so will pop into them and see if the figures they offer are the same as the website. If they are I'll be happy and walk out with a couple of other preowned items. I'll be sure to get in early to avoid the riff raff others are mentioning.

I was actually in there on Saturday afternoon but it was mental with queues nearly out the door. Wasn't bothered queing that long to buy something small

Advertisement