Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Fluid Mechanics

• 31-03-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

What book did you use to learn fluid dynamics? I've neglected it the whole of this semester and now that I have a week off, I need to try and get on top of it.

Currently in the library going though "Elementary Fluid Dynamics" - D.J. Acheson. Seems alright but there's a hell of a lot of symbols that we haven't covered in tutorials.

Also, is it Fluid Dynamics or Mechanics? I've heard both and I know it makes very little difference, but still... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

The Fluid Mechanics books by Cengel and another one by White are good books.I have used the Fluids book by Cengel for Mechanical Engineering and it is excellent.
    The best thing is to use the book that the lecturer uses or recommends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭bennyineire

What course are you doing and what year are you in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

What course are you doing and what year are you in

Also what uni? In general, if you can decode your lecturer's notes, everything will be there believe it or not. If you start using a book, you may have different symbols for the same things which is confusing and you may cover unnecessary material (which isn't a bad thing but it is when you're studying for an exam). I'm guessing it's mechanical engineering? There's also reams of quality, well written material online.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm guessing you're in UL. I did Aero Eng and found An Introduction to Flight by JD Anderson pretty good. That was for my Aerodynamics module. The Fundamentals of Aerodynamics by Anderson is pretty good too, but definitely a step up in maths intensity.

The guys above are right though. While it's great to know it's not much benefit covering stuff not on the course come exam time. It's best to work through the course notes and any recommended reading books by your lecturer before looking at stuff not on the course. So ask your lecturer if there are any books he recommends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Yea, UL and I'm a first year in Mech Eng.

The lecturer has, without doubt, the worst handwriting I've ever seen. My dog has better handwriting. :D

He made us buy his notes and then told us that:

"Those notes are rubbish, just listen to what I say".

Plenty of angry people at that lecture. :(

Basically, I need to get a book and keep going to tutorials to have a chance at doing well in this module. Just need to decide what book to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Daniel S wrote: »
    Yea, UL and I'm a first year in Mech Eng.

The lecturer has, without doubt, the worst handwriting I've ever seen. My dog has better handwriting. :D

He made us buy his notes and then told us that:

"Those notes are rubbish, just listen to what I say".

Plenty of angry people at that lecture. :(

Basically, I need to get a book and keep going to tutorials to have a chance at doing well in this module. Just need to decide what book to get.

I am in the same position and i can vouch that the above event actuall hapenned! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

im goin into second year in same course as mature student next sept, im going over some subjects to refresh memory, when in contact with course director he gave me course outline for this course among others, prime text stated on sheet is mechanics of fluids, by B.S Massey. i got the 9th edition, hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

The Fluid Mechanics books by Cengel and another one by White are good books.I have used the Fluids book by Cengel for Mechanical Engineering and it is excellent.
    The best thing is to use the book that the lecturer uses or recommends

Second this!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmi10

I would highly recommend Cengel. His engineering text books are some of the best I've used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭kirving

Cengel, for sure. Expensixe but worth it especially if you can get an older version on ebay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Lads is this first year fluids with A.T? If so I'll send ye on some tips for doing well in his exam ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

JoseJones wrote: »
    Lads is this first year fluids with A.T? If so I'll send ye on some tips for doing well in his exam ;)
    It is and PLEASE pm me tips! =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Robert Edmonds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Robert Edmonds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

There is some youtube videos that if you search there is lectures and problem solving. You should always try there, its helped me a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

I think they might be a bit advanced for first year. I have both of these also but Cengel or White would be a little more elementary.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

Fluid Mechanics by Kundu is an excellent book, provided you have a good understanding of multivariable calculus. Generally its graduate book.

Cengel is an good undergrad book and explains things excellently, however you may want to supplement it to provide a mathematical understanding of the content.

Advertisement