Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product key but no Disk - windows 7

• 01-09-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just a quick question

I have a dell optiplex 780 that came with a windows 7 product key, i am awaiting a new HDD for it but when i receive it is it possible to re-install Win7? is it just as simple as downloading an iso and using the key, or i have a pre-launch copy that has been installed on my other pc is it possible to use this disk with my dells product key?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Did you get CDs/DVDs with the computer.. That is the first place to start..

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Should be fine with an ISO, reinstalled my win7 severally with the original key,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Did you get CDs/DVDs with the computer.. That is the first place to start..
    No i did not, it was bought secondhand and came with no disks or Hdd
    vicM wrote: »
    Should be fine with an ISO, reinstalled my win7 severally with the original key,,
    Would the ISO need to be win7 pro specific or would a normal ISO do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

It would need to be a Dell OEM disc assuming the OS was preinstalled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I've a Dell Laptop. When I needed to reinstall Windows 7, I got the ISO from Microsoft. Its totally legal and safe. Just download whatever ISO matches your product key, burn/mount it, and enjoy.

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

DjFlin wrote: »
    I've a Dell Laptop. When I needed to reinstall Windows 7, I got the ISO from Microsoft. Its totally legal and safe. Just download whatever ISO matches your product key, burn/mount it, and enjoy.

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

I'm not sure if this still works, Dell editions of Windows 7 are OEM specific ones, they are capable of activating once they see the hardware they are installing onto.
    I know Microsoft got stricter with activation as people with OEM editions of Windows 7 Home Premium were able to upgrade to ultimate using anytime Upgrade and using a legitimate but official OEM key,
    Maybe this isn't a problem and it may work for OP but something to bear in mind

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Thanks guys i just downloaded an iso from microsoft and i should be installing it tomorrow once i pick up a new HDD, a friend of mine used a Microsoft iso with his Dell key so fingers crossed it does the job, other wise ill have to go looking for a dell disk.

yoyo wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this still works, Dell editions of Windows 7 are OEM specific ones, they are capable of activating once they see the hardware they are installing onto.
    I know Microsoft got stricter with activation as people with OEM editions of Windows 7 Home Premium were able to upgrade to ultimate using anytime Upgrade and using a legitimate but official OEM key,
    Maybe this isn't a problem and it may work for OP but something to bear in mind

Nick

I've got a Dell, and using the Microsoft ISO worked fine for me. :)

I've got a Dell, and using the Microsoft ISO worked fine for me. :)

Maybe their not as strict any more so :) . Strictly speaking Dell computers dont have to activate Windows, the Windows license is embedded inside the BIOs, but they must be allowing people to activate the old fashioned way without Dell media

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Maybe their not as strict any more so :) . Strictly speaking Dell computers dont have to activate Windows, the Windows license is embedded inside the BIOs, but they must be allowing people to activate the old fashioned way without Dell media

Nick

Mine may be a special case, I got my Laptop two months before Windows 7 launched, so I got a free copy of it once it did.

• Advertisement

Mine may be a special case, I got my Laptop two months before Windows 7 launched, so I got a free copy of it once it did.

Actually your probably better off so, as if you got the Windows 7 upgrade you'll have a unique serial, it should work anyways if its worked for people previously. The serials printed on Dells licenses are not the official activation key for that machine, its more like a serial number.
    If its doesn't activate over the net do it over the phone and explain to the microsoft customer care representitive, they should be accomodating regarding this issue

Nick

Advertisement