Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lego - Worth Money ?

• 02-01-2003 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Some guy asked me to name my price for my 20 year old Lego thats in a few bif buscuit tins in the attic. Is old Lego worth cash ? I thought it had to have its original packaging and all that other stuff.

/me wonders maybe is it a fetish thing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I'm not sure, but if you make some serious wedge I'll be crying into my coffee over the half-a-ton I gave away to charity 2 years ago!

Lego have brought out limited edition runs in the past, but I doubt this guy is an actual collector. As you mentioned, collectors would want the packaging that it came in.

I suspect he probably just wants to save a few bob over buying the stuff new. That's one of Lego's coolest features- the fact that the basic components are totally unchanged over the years.

Look it up in the Argos catalogue, knock a fiver off the equivalent new price and he'll probably pay it. ;)

Or, failing that, dig it out of the attic and get building! Your desk would look much cooler with a few lego pen holders/phone stands/book ends etc. etc. :p

[edit] Or maybe he's a White Stripes fan and wants to make himself a video :D [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I have tonnes of the stuff if its worth anythin id be a rich man

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I have a chest full of it, from the early plain bricks(my first ever lego - I was about 3) to technic - got the big red car with the suspension and gear box etc. for christmas a few years back.

Good mstuff :)

I wouldn't dream of selling it. I intend to pass ti on to my kids when they're old enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Ebay doesn't seem to rate the stuff highly at all, so this guy must be mad !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    wanted the samurai stuff, but I'm too old for all that now aren't I....

never too old
    :)
    gonk

• Advertisement

hehe, true :)

I should be messing about with a Lego mindstorms kit in college this year or next.
    Once the essential tech bit is out of the way, bring on the defensive lasers, the aeriels and the cokpit with ejector seat and full-featured controls.....
    Oh, and rocket boosters....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i would give more money for OLD mecanno [sp] sets. i spent hours of fun building my metal monstrosities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I have a lego mindstorms kit which i got 2 Christmas's ago :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Now I'm wishing I hadn't given most of my lego to my little bro... Some of the pre '80s sets (complete of course) have to be worth a bit eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

i made a lego ashtray about 2 years ago

dunno where its gone now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Anyone else in the lego club?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Don't know if it's still around. I used to be a member of it when I was young (20 years ago). At least I'm fairly sure I was in it.

Am I getting mixed up with the Beano fan club :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i made a lego ashtray about 2 years ago

prob melted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I too, got the big assed red Technic car on Xmas 99 (from myself, not from Santy). Years and years of want and lust satisfied.

And then Santy got me the Technic F1 racer (yellow, like team Jordan).

The rest of my lego is at my folks, and it's a large plastic bin fulla stuff. Had that village set, the Moonbase, the Technic Helibopter, the Technic Cessena and others which I can't remember. Oh yeah! The biggest Spaceship you could get. Forgot about that.

So basically for about 8 years I got lego every Xmas.
    Mind you I was only happy with it when I was building it. After that I got bored. I wanted to join the Lego club but never got round to it.

Wouldn't mind some of that Mindstorms stuff, looks leet, but these days my luxury purchases tend towards upgrading my aging fleet of Pc's.

And damnit I'm proud to be this nerdy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I have a couple of shoeboxes full of Lego alright, I was a big fan, but found Meccano crap.

I had the airport and the Fire Station, never got into the castles stuff or Technic. Wasn't there a technic motorbike that was the coolest thing around for years? Kind of just got pushed aside by Subbuteo(still play)/Mega Drive/PS in the end though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I had loads of lego when I was a kid, well my brothers did so I got to play with it!!
    We had bucket loads of the bricks, used to build houses all the time but never had enough windows or doors. Got a box of the new fancy windows with the shutters and the doors with panes of glass one Christmas and was thrilled to bits! :)
    We also had ALL the lego technic trucks, the white long one, the black truck and trailer with the helicopter and the red bird- red truck and trailer with small plane. They are all assembled and in a display with some model cars at home. We still have all the cases for them but I don't think we'd ever sell them.
    Lego was the best toy, couldn't manage meccano at all.

The problem with mechano was that once the nuts and bolts wore down you were pretty much fúcked. And it took longer to make it.
    And it was sharp.
    And it rusts.

Plastic takes age to decay.

When your truck/bridge/plane is a pile of paint flecks and rust chips our polymer monstrosities shall reign supreme over the land, the grass shall be nobbly, the cars disproportionately sized and everyone will live and work in open plan buildings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Meccanno rocked i thought, made a cool car one time , plastic bit used to crack all the time, nuts and bolts were a pain in the @ss at to un-make (is that a word?)

Space lego was the best, used to create my own space-ships and stuff, fly them round the gaf and smash them to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Whats the biggest things people built. I did an aircraft carrier :rolleyes: about 5' x 1'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I used to make towers consisting of 2 block wide support legs and platforms. I got them to reach the ceiling, so that's gotta be 8 or 9 feet high. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

i think i made a very unstable super space-ship, about 4 foot by 2 foot probly. Didn't fly too good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Big Ted

My most impressive feat was a 6ft copy of the Toronto CN Tower. Fell over and cut my Nan's head. :(

I was creating a range of Star Destroyer lookalikes before Muppet Lucas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

Used to spend hours playing with that lego stuff,
    not to mention its more complex cousin Mecano,
    and legos copy of it, Lego Technic!

have a suitcase sized box full of such stuff in the attic.

Heathens!!! amuse yourselves with this link :
    Lego DEATH!!!

I made this galaxy class cruiser one day.
    had detachable fighter pod things and all. Well class.

The cargo hold wasn't the easiest thing to fill, and I didn't have the parts left to make a bomber to put in it.

made plenty of big ass trucks and other such vehicles too, nothing like a 6' aircraft carrier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

My cousin build a really cool truck, with a cool fully enclosed trailer, and he even built a copy of the Delorian (from back to the future) that could fit inside, and when it was inside it didnt shake at all, was a perfect fit. It was also hard as nails, one time he threw it all down the stairs and let it whack of the stairs several times on its way down............. and only the bumper fell of, the rest was fully intact!
    Was never really great with it myself tho, me and a friend built 2 huge army's tho, we shared the huge box of lego (must be 10kg of the stuff in it) and had to make the best army we could. Took us 3days to finally finish our legions, then we proceeded to smash the **** out of each other and all our armies were in pieces within 2mins! great fun :D (he won tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lego

I already tried emailing active-robots.com and as far as I can see, the lights are on but nobodys home.

The parts I'm looking for:

1X
    Gear block:
    http://www.legoeducation.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=844

6X
    Angle Sensor:
    http://www.legoeducation.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=323

(the company linked to above does not ship outside america)

I'm living in Dublin, so if anyone has these parts and is interested in selling them, contact me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

I think i have those pieces lego,ill check

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Victor wrote:
    Whats the biggest things people built. I did an aircraft carrier :rolleyes: about 5' x 1'?

6' x 6' fully working city...

Oh how I loved lego... :D

I think I like the medival ones the most. Huge big fortresses and stuff.

Anyone else remember the Technic working dump truck...the one with the barcode?

That was the shex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

yellum wrote:
    Some guy asked me to name my price for my 20 year old Lego thats in a few bif buscuit tins in the attic. Is old Lego worth cash ? I thought it had to have its original packaging and all that other stuff.

/me wonders maybe is it a fetish thing

It is a fetish thing. It's only worth serious money if in the original box, untouched, and with all the plans, etc intact.

'Random' Lego isn't really isn't worth a lot these days. I sold all my old big-box of Lego about ten years ago for about 50 quid (punts). It would be worth even less now.

I loved it as a kid. Normally I score pretty average results on apptitude tests, but I always get a huge score on 3D spatial conception tests - I have to thank all those years playing with Lego as a kid for that.

I hated Mechano and Lego Teknik...only for uber-geeks, I'm a mere geek.

Advertisement