Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Concert 2012

• 01-06-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Discuss who you think should play Slane Castle 2012 :)

Personally I believe it should be Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire supporting him, as they sound very similar, in the same kind of genre of music, they both collaborate together when they are playing the same concert, to my knowledge they're both releasing albums this year and next year. They both have a huge fan base and following here in Ireland, separately and combined, hence it'd sell out in minutes, so why not?? :D It'd be a major major music event! Bruce loves Slane since his last time there, he visits it everytime he is in Ireland :)

But that's just my two cents! WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The hotel in Slane that Bruce goes to when he's here is now closed so he might not be too happy with that! And he never has a support act so that would rule out Arcade Fire supporting. I don't think he has any plans to tour anyway so it's probably academic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lauraconn

Slane 2011, what a buzz my friends ! Cant wait for next year !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

A bit early now isn't it?

Ah but yeah Slane 2012 will be good, if it takes place.

I say Green Day for headline slot as we've been waiting long enough now.

Maybe for supports they could throw in Weezer, Blink 182 and maybe a few minor lesser-known acts here and there.

Thats what I would like anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It'll probably never happen, but I'd like the Big 4(Metallica,Slayer,Anthrax & Megadeth) to play it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

karaokeman wrote: »
    A bit early now isn't it?

Ah but yeah Slane 2012 will be good, if it takes place.

I say Green Day for headline slot as we've been waiting long enough now.

Maybe for supports they could throw in Weezer, Blink 182 and maybe a few minor lesser-known acts here and there.

Thats what I would like anyway.

Green Day couldnt even sell out Marlay Park last year so no way they will do Slane. Presume Blink will do Oxegen next year aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭bren2001

Green Day couldnt even sell out Marlay Park last year so no way they will do Slane. Presume Blink will do Oxegen next year aswell

They were in talks to do it two years ago. My bet is for Green Day as well.

If KoL played Marlay they wouldn't sell it out. There is a core group that go to Slane, many people will go to an act they half like as its Slane and some people will go to Slane to break their for virginity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

bren2001 wrote: »

If KoL played Marlay they wouldn't sell it out. There is a core group that go to Slane, many people will go to an act they half like as its Slane and some people will go to Slane to break their for virginity.

Agreed Slane is much better buzz than a normal park in Dublin like Marlay.

I'd say lots of people will go because Slane would attract the kind of people who listen to Green Day.

Blink would be good as a support whether or not they play Oxegen 2012 and their old school punk would go well with Green Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

I sincerely hope Bruce(or anyone else i like)doesnt go anywhere near Slane,why on earth would you want to go there?? a big field in the middle of nowhere?? never understood the attraction......ill be gutted if he plays there tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

I sincerely hope Bruce(or anyone else i like)doesnt go anywhere near Slane,why on earth would you want to go there?? a big field in the middle of nowhere?? never understood the attraction......ill be gutted if he plays there tbh

Then why did he play there before? And visits the village everytime he goes to Ireland because of how much he loves the village?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

The hotel in Slane that Bruce goes to when he's here is now closed so he might not be too happy with that! And he never has a support act so that would rule out Arcade Fire supporting. I don't think he has any plans to tour anyway so it's probably academic.

exactly. i have nowt further to add, everything i wanted to say was here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Then why did he play there before? And visits the village everytime he goes to Ireland because of how much he loves the village?

Huh?

I meant why as a fan would anyone go there,i know why a band would want to play there! seriously though,im puzzled why people like it,miles away from the stage surronded by people who'd struggle to name more than 2 or 3 songs by any of the bands theyre seeing(inc the headliners).....and until they hear those songs they just chat amongst themselves and drink like their life depends on it,this is fun?? give me Vicar St or even the 02 anyday

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I honestly don't know where I picked up on this but I thought Bruce said he'd never play Slane again as he felt it was dangerous for the crowd or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

mars bar wrote: »
    I honestly don't know where I picked up on this but I thought Bruce said he'd never play Slane again as he felt it was dangerous for the crowd or something...
    Maybe that's bob??

bren2001 wrote: »

Yea i do agree that a lot of people go to Slane because its Slane but i still dont believe they could headline and shift 80,000 tickets

If KOL played Marlay Park it would def sell out.

Although maybe if they had Foos headline with Green Day under them or a co headline job would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

I suppose you would prefer it in Dublin where it would be easy to get to for you and screw the other 31 counties. You need to get out more often from your safety net. Slane is one of the best outdoor venues in the world.

Yea i do agree that a lot of people go to Slane because its Slane but i still dont believe they could headline and shift 80,000 tickets

If KOL played Marlay Park it would def sell out.

Although maybe if they had Foos headline with Green Day under them or a co headline job would be great

Im beginning to think that Foo Fighters and Green Day are Fading powers when it comes to headline slots. Great bands granted but I think their star has fallen slightly and they aint getting any younger.

poteen wrote: »
    Im beginning to think that Foo Fighters and Green Day are Fading powers when it comes to headline slots. Great bands granted but I think their star has fallen slightly and they aint getting any younger.

Im not sure about that with the new Foo's album getting rave reviews , selling out Milton Keynes twice before the new album was completed. Cant say anything about GD since not a big fan of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Alfredo Scary Copperhead

I suppose you would prefer it in Dublin where it would be easy to get to for you and screw the other 31 counties. You need to get out more often from your safety net. Slane is one of the best outdoor venues in the world.

Over a quarter of the population lives in Dublin, would you prefer put out the majority for the sake of making it easy (it's still never going to be) for some particular minority from another county?

Slane is a nightmare venue and should have been retired from being allowed host these gigs years ago. Okay for the standards of the 1980's, not such these days.

nm wrote: »
    Over a quarter of the population lives in Dublin, would you prefer put out the majority for the sake of making it easy (it's still never going to be) for some particular minority from another county?

Slane is a nightmare venue and should have been retired from being allowed host these gigs years ago. Okay for the standards of the 1980's, not such these days.

Croke Park has proven to be the Worst large capacity venue in the country. I heard the sound in the Aviva Last year was brutal too. Marlay park is too small. Any concert that Phoneix park ever held was a disaster too. Running out of venues you would say are better than Slane at this stage. Where else can you put 80,000 ? Michale Eavis Manages to put 160,000 into Glastonbury in Somerset so please dont give me this demographic crap. Its a great venue and it isnt that much hassle to get there.

Croke Park has proven to be the Worst large capacity venue in the country. I heard the sound in the Aviva Last year was brutal too. Marlay park is too small. Any concert that Phoneix park ever held was a disaster too. Running out of venues you would say are better than Slane at this stage. Where else can you put 80,000 ? Michale Eavis Manages to put 160,000 into Glastonbury in Somerset so please dont give me this demographic crap. Its a great venue and it isnt that much hassle to get there.

LOL. The main problem with these venues is the sheer amount of people travelling to & from them at the same time. The villages/towns just can't handle it. Add to that the scumbag element intent on turning said villages into giant litter bins. It just doesn't work anymore. Our infrastructure(roads etc) just can't handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I agree - I have been to Slane three or four times now but haven't gone recently because of the hassle getting in and out of the venue. They haven't solved the problem of toilets\queuing\transport getting home\etc.

Having said that, once you are in there I have always enjoyed myself and do agree that it probably is one of the best outdoor places to see anyone.

I might be persuaded to go if there was someone I REALLY REALLY wanted to see...the only two that would come to mind are Arcade Fire or Muse (both of which I believe would be epic Slane gigs!) but other than that, I'll pass

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Slane sells out the same way Oxegen sells out, because of its name, I mean I was dismayed that KOL were headliners this year, they're nowhere near good enough to be headliners.

Slane has slumped pretty badly in recent years, Madonna, the Eminem fiasco and while this year wasn't as bad it was still pretty poor.

2012 needs Slane to return with a proper band, Ac/Dc, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Def Leppard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I think the problem is, is that they are running out of top draw acts....i mean real world class talent..

think of who has played there...

bob, bruce, R.E.M, U2, Guns n' Roses...all of these were the biggest bands\acts in the world at the time they played..

KOL aren't that big at all in the US...Bryan Adams\Sterophonics\Madonna...pfft

I think the problem is, is that they are running out of top draw acts....i mean real world class talent..

bob, bruce, R.E.M, U2, Guns n' Roses...all of these were the biggest bands\acts in the world at the time they played..

That pretty much sums it up. But, the hassle of getting to and from it, and the hassle of such things as queueing for a pint/the toilet is a real turn off. A friend of mine went to Oasis in Slane and said that he queued for over an hour just to get a pint. The whole organisation of the event is shambolic. The promoters only care about one thing: money. They don't give a flying **** about anything else.

draffodx wrote: »
    Slane sells out the same way Oxegen sells out, because of its name, I mean I was dismayed that KOL were headliners this year, they're nowhere near good enough to be headliners.

Slane has slumped pretty badly in recent years, Madonna, the Eminem fiasco and while this year wasn't as bad it was still pretty poor.

2012 needs Slane to return with a proper band, Ac/Dc, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Def Leppard.

:eek:Please, for the love of God, tell me you're not being serious about that last one!!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭bren2001

Does it matter if they are that big in the US? I am not a fan of them but they are one of the biggest acts in Europe right now. That is all Slane gaurantees, a top act that is huge here.

There are very few world class acts, that can sell stadiums out across the world. The only two that come to mind are U2 and Bon Jovi. KoL are doing a European stadium tour. That puts them at the very top. They were right for Slane regardless of how well they performed.

:eek:Please, for the love of God, tell me you're not being serious about that last one!!!??

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Tadeo Stocky Windfall

Discuss who you think should play Slane Castle 2012 :)

AC/DC

that is all :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

I don't think there's a band alive that would make me go to Slane ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Depending on how the new RHCP album does commercially, it will likely be them playing next year.

I can't think of another band, big enough and on a new album/greatest hits tour that will drag the numbers in.

Slane is a great venue from a sentimental and atmospheric point of view but an awful venue from a practical point of view.

Advertisement