Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

One address is to the Department's Working Group who are writing the proposals; the other is the Joint Committee who are examining the report from the Working Group. The latter is the first deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PatterdalePup

Ok, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Is it also worthwhile emailing or calling my local TD (and any other TD's) at the same time?

Thanks.

Local TDs will have most effect

You know there's a petition going (I'm not a member)?

http://www.sportscoalition.org/category/petition/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Two categories of weaponry that are not available to the law abiding public in Ireland and the type of people that if any intelligence is available are excluded from holding a licence.

With the greatest respect, you know that, and I know that, but most of the public doesn't.

This is shooters' opportunity to say that clearly, firmly and often in a public hearing.

Could I please make the suggestion that submissions to politicians avoid using jargon. I just about know the difference between centrefire and rimfire (because I asked), but nobody whose opinion you need to sway this time around knows or cares what for example "fullbore" means. For the politicians and public, you have to keep it simple.

We all hate the lazy, uninformed, uncurious, kneejerk media in this country, but they also have to have things spelled out - especially the fact that licensed firearms have legitimate uses and are not the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Guns have worked out so well in places like Chicago. Liberal leaning Governments need to realize Criminals don't care about laws and all these do is make law abiding citizens easier targets to criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

58 page submission sent to both addresses.Hope they like it!:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Mine goes in tomorrow morning, not as fleshed out as some but my points of view after some 65 years of shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    58 page submission sent to both addresses.Hope they like it!:pac:
    58 pages .:eek:
    Im sure they will love sitting down reading it. This may alone may actually save the doughnut and coffee industry :rolleyes:

serious question though , how will they actually take points from these.
    will they read them? will they get a Secretary to read them and take out the main points/reoccurring points

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Stuck my submission in earlier today.
    Then came home and checked out the sports coalition website. I listened to Des Crofton's interview on KFM, he did well. But one piece of info he gave about the source ofthe gun used in the Corbally brothers killing was previously unknown to me- a PSNI issued service revolver. I'm fuming, was this generally known?
    By citing this case without stating the source of the gun used (if known) the working group have placed themselves outside the pale. I'd consider this as a blatant attempt to mislead, p45's should issue to any public servant complicit in this dirty tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

bpb101 wrote: »
    will they read them? will they get a Secretary to read them and take out the main points/reoccurring points

Unfortunately I can't see them taking the time to read them, much less understanding them.

They'll probably ask the Gardai for a summary and they'll get a very slanted view of the proposals and roll with the Gardai.

Sorry for being so negative but after watching that Oireachtas Committee farce, how can I believe anything else?

For what it's worth, my proposals are being emailed later tonight.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't see them taking the time to read them, much less understanding them.

They'll probably ask the Gardai for a summary and they'll get a very slanted view of the proposals and roll with the Gardai.

Sorry for being so negative but after watching that Oireachtas Committee farce, how can I believe anything else?

For what it's worth, my proposals are being emailed later tonight.

There's no time limit for this committee to consider the AGS/DoJE proposals and our submissions, or for making their recommendations to the Minister.

The time limits are for our submissions (which I am having to skimp on at this stage - not from lack of effort, but from the time it took to get my head around the subject)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

bpb101 wrote: »
    58 pages .:eek:
    Im sure they will love sitting down reading it. This may alone may actually save the doughnut and coffee industry :rolleyes:

Well I've read it. Grizzly composed an excellent submission. It was very informative.

We don't need to be negative guys, not at this juncture. I have spoken to a member of the committee a few weeks ago. Submissions will be read by the members. I just hope that Yukabill1 and Grizzlys are at the top of the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Deaf git wrote: »
    Stuck my submission in earlier today.
    Then came home and checked out the sports coalition website. I listened to Des Crofton's interview on KFM, he did well. But one piece of info he gave about the source ofthe gun used in the Corbally brothers killing was previously unknown to me- a PSNI issued service revolver. I'm fuming, was this generally known?
    By citing this case without stating the source of the gun used (if known) the working group have placed themselves outside the pale. I'd consider this as a blatant attempt to mislead, p45's should issue to any public servant complicit in this dirty tactic.
    Your not the only one. I heard it yesterday. I thought Des Crofton was excellent. +1 on the murder with a PSNI service pistol. I never heard that.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

Did anyone else get a response saying

It is important to remember that all/part of your submission, including
    your identity, may be published by the Committee and become public.

I thought the sports coalition organised it so that names wouldnt be released over security concerns

Ok Last bit - just need covering letter, numbered pages etc as per justice committee guide

3 Continued Evidence supporting Public Safety concerns raised and the adequacy of present legislation in this regard

3.3 Minister Fitzgerald on public safety debate -

10 June 2014

Pádraig MacLochlainn (Donegal North East, Sinn Fein)
    453. 24701/14] 454. [24702/14] 455. [24703/14]

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)
    I propose to take Questions Nos. 453 to 455, inclusive, together.
    As the Deputy is aware, in light of public safety concerns highlighted by the Garda Síochána and difficulties in the interpretation of the legislation expressed by members of the Judiciary, my Department is currently examining key policy, legislative, administrative and other issues relating to firearms licensing in conjunction with the Garda Síochána.

In so far as a risk assessment is concerned, I am advised that the draft report has regard to recent relevant EU Commission reports and developments in other jurisdictions in relation to public safety. However, I should say that is difficult to see how any risk assessment could foresee the tragic events in Dunblane, Scotland in 2006, Utoya, Norway in 2011, Sandy Hook, Connecticut in 2012 or Santa Barbara, California in May 2014. Mass shootings are happening with increasing frequency and a common theme is that the firearms used are legally owned. I think it is only right that we consider options now, rather than endure a similar tragedy here, when people will rightly ask why we as legislators did nothing to prevent it.

I ask the Committee to investigate the suitability of the mass shooting examples cited by the Minister above:

The Police file on Dunblane is subject to 100 year closure, amid claims the Police issued firearms licences while aware of the disposition of the offender

Utoya may be viewed by History as either a hate crime or an act of terrorism

Chief Supt. Fergus Healy stated to this Committee on 17 Dec last that American mass shootings are not relevant to the European situation.

3.3 Garda Advocacy

I believe An Garda Siochana are limited to areas of advocacy such as crime prevention and public safety. They occupy a position of public trust in these matters, whereby it is incumbent on the civil power to relay such information in an unbiased manner.

A number of media articles appeared over last summer which contain similar partisan information, presented in an identical manner, to that released in the WG Report in November:

http://www.thejournal.ie/guns-in-ireland-1576581-Jul2014/ article on firearms thefts

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/one-firearm-stolen-or-lost-daily-over-last-four-years-275887.html Similar article on #licensed firearms stolen over x years

http://www.thejournal.ie/gun-crime-ireland-dublin-west-increase-1662616-Sep2014/ study "high velocity vs low velocity" firearms injuries

http://www.thejournal.ie/gun-control-restrictions-1779301-Nov2014/
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/ourview/firearms-legislation-review--a-small-price-to-pay-to-avert-murder-304823.htmlhttp://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/ourview/firearms-legislation-review--a-small-price-to-pay-to-avert-murder-304823.html

Shooting enthusiasts have major concerns (See 2.8 and 2.9 above) with the statistical information promulgated in the above stories, which is not presented in an even-handed manner. The Committee is requested to examine the remit of An Garda Siochana with regards to advocacy and whether there are any obligations upon the force in the area of policy promotion.
    It must be noted that the tone of firearms-related statistical reporting changed from a dispassionate model in previous years to a partisan model in 2014

http://www.thejournal.ie/crime-burglaries-and-fraud-rise-other-offences-fall-401395-Mar2012/
    Possession of a firearm offences fell from 415 in 2010 to 296 in 2011, a decrease of over 28 per cent, while the number of offensive weapons offences fell from 3,040 to 2,625, marking a decrease of 13.7 per cent

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2014/03/firearm-robberies-stats.png 50% decrease in firearms thefts 2003-13

http://www.thejournal.ie/firearms-seized-1583874-Jul2014/ firearms seizures down significantly

4. The proportionality of the present law

4.1 Is shooting a sport?

4.2 The Committee must consider whether the present legislation is adequate/proportional: It must have mind of the fact that the present Act is the product of the Barr Tribunal recommendations on firearms licensing following events in Abbeylara and of extensive and exhaustive round table discussions involving all stakeholders from the date of the initial recommendations in 2006 to the implementation of the new Act in 2009.

4.3 The velocity of centrefire handguns such as 9mm is roughly equivalent to .22 handguns - both hover around the speed of sound, but the 9mm launches a significantly heavier bullet. Yet the power of the 9mm and other handguns of this type licensed here are below the minimum legal limits set by the NPWS for deer shooting (a creature of approximately human size)......the high lethality associated with 9mm-type handguns cited in the WG report is due to their use at very close range for execution shots to the victim's head. The same lethality could be achieved with almost any firearm - witness the use of humane killers to dispatch large animals. Handguns are a poor choice for rampage shootings so it may be assumed the WG Report is mainly concerned with their theft for criminal purposes.
    I ask the Committee to establish the number of such thefts since the introduction of the 2009 security requirements.

4.4 Recently, semi automatic firearms are made with modern CNC and other precision manufacturing techniques. In the last 15 years or so, these manufacturing processes mean that semi automatic rifles have equalled the accuracy of traditional rifle designs, making them suitable for competition and hunting use.
    The first semi automatic rifle was produced in 1885 and the firearm class did not see military or police adoption for 50 years(automatic weapons like the Gatling gun were adopted much earlier). There has always been a heterogeneous relationship between civilian and military/police firearms use - the designer of the outgoing UK sniper rifle (it's being replaced by a semi automatic model) was a world-famous international shooting competitor, who was initially approached by UK authorities to produce said firearm.

4.5 A rampage shooting. After recently implementing Europe's strictest firearms licensing requirements - almost to the letter of Justice Barr's recommendations in the wake of Abbeylara - it seems far more likely that this type of atrocity would have to be committed in Ireland with some type of weapon other than a firearm.

5. Effects of a Ban

I will leave this to the Committee.

1. http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Barr_Tribunal
    2. Dunne and others-v-Donoghue and others [2002] 2 IR 533
    3. http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/cp/ireland
    4. http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/policing%20plan%202014%20final%20english%20web.pdf
    5. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90910759&postcount=687
    6. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/cso-may-delay-crime-figures-over-concerns-on-garda-data-1.2004644
    7. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/frances-fitzgerald-in-scathing-criticism-of-garda-force-30446504.html

The Police file on Dunblane is subject to 100 year closure, amid claims the Police issued firearms licences while aware of the disposition of the offender
    The 100 year closure was overturned in 2005 by the Lord Advocate (they have some very Game-of-Thrones-sounding job titles there) for most of the files (they left it for some files like the postmortems). Hughes' report was read into the Cullen Inquiry in full a few years earlier:
    “On Tuesday, 23rd July, l99l the
    Child Protection Unit, Bannockburn, became involved in an
    investigation surrounding allegations regarding the above-named's
    treatment of a group of children whom he had taken on a summer
    holiday camp to Loch Lomond. Hamilton is a self-styled 'youth leader'
    and as such runs boys' clubs in Dunblane, Stirling and Dunfermline.
    During the course of my investigation I discovered that Hamilton was
    no stranger to controversy and similar investigations had been
    undertaken by this and Strathclyde Police Forces in the past.
    Hamilton also features in local criminal Intelligence files. Throughout
    my investigation I met and spoke with Hamilton on a number of
    occasions. It is as a result of the impressions left with me by this man
    that I feel compelled to make this report. I have recently discovered
    that Hamilton possesses a firearms certificate which indicates that he
    owns a 9mm Browning pistol and a .357 Smith and Wesson revolver.
    He also has permission to acquire a .22 rifle and a 7.62 rifle. This
    concerns me. I am firmly of the opinion that Hamilton is an unsavoury
    character and an unstable personality. It emerged from enquiries that
    he, during the course of the first week of camp, seemed to become
    increasingly stressed and had difficulty managing the group. It was
    during one such moment that he became extremely angry and
    assaulted one of the boys. This particular child was in fact assaulted
    three times by Hamilton during the first few days of the holiday and
    was eventually removed by his parents. Furthermore, allegations were
    made, albeit uncorroborated, by one of the children that Hamilton
    induced the child to pose in various compromising positions, scantily
    clad in extremely ill-fitting swimming trunks for photographs.
    To date these photographs have
    not been recovered but neither I nor the officer who interviewed the
    child have any reason to disbelieve that the allegations are in fact
    wholly true. Convincing corroborated evidence was uncovered which
    confirms that two boxes containing approximately 36 slides each have
    not been recovered by the police despite Hamilton's claims that he
    handed over all of the photographs taken. Mr. Hamilton has been
    reported to the Procurator-Fiscal in this regard for obstructing the
    police. The foregoing report, in part, conveys some of the concerns
    which I harbour about this man. I firmly believe that he has an
    extremely unhealthy interest in young boys which to a degree appears
    to have been controlled to date. It is his ploy, whenever challenged, to
    engage in 'smokescreen' tactics which divert attention from the focal
    issue and this is the purpose for the profusion of correspondence to
    MPs, Procurator-Fiscal, the Chief Constable and the like. I would
    contend that Mr. Hamilton will be a risk to children whenever he has
    access to them and that he appears to me to be an unsuitable person
    to possess a firearms certificate in view of the number of occasions he
    has come to the adverse attention of the police and his apparent
    instability. The Procurator-Fiscal at Stirling has not yet decided on
    whether or not he will proceed with the case against Hamilton but at
    the moment it appears in all likelihood that he will not. I respectfully
    request that serious consideration is given to withdrawing this man's
    firearms certificate as a precautionary measure as it is my opinion that
    he is a scheming, devious and deceitful individual who is not to be
    trusted" and it is signed Paul Hughes, Detective Sergeant.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PatterdalePup

I didn't know about the sports coalition petition so thanks for that yubabill -it's well put together

daragh8008 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get a response saying

It is important to remember that all/part of your submission, including
    your identity, may be published by the Committee and become public.

I thought the sports coalition organised it so that names wouldnt be released over security concerns

Just pinged mine off 5 mins ago - put my contact details on covering letter only.

Should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

Cass wrote: »
    Just sent mine 2 minutes ago to both addresses.

Lads don't forget that Friday at 3 pm is the closing time for the firearms review committee submissions and next Thursday for firearms_inbox at justice.ie

Hi Cass,
    Is the second deadline not 31st January 2015?. This is the date shown on the Sports coalition website homepage under Clarification on Submission Dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭SVI40

Submissions sent on behalf of my club, and my own personal one.

Fingers crossed that sense will prevail.

SVI40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

Send mine in. I kept it brief and to the point. Hope it helps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Hi Cass,
    Is the second deadline not 31st January 2015?. .
    It is. My apologies.

They have extended the deadline twice from December to the 15th of Jan, then to the 31st.

Thing is, unless someone is writing out two sets of submissions if you have your one ready to send before 3 pm today, then there is no reason why you cannot send it to the justice e-mail too.

I sent the same one to both. Did not see the need to change the details simply because it's going to justice. I mean they're going to see what is in both so there was no point trying to say one thing to one group and another to the other.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I'm writing two myself because I figure the audience in the Joint Committee have less expertise than in the Department (yeah, I know what you're thinking, but even so, there's a long walk from "knows absolutely nothing" to "knows a small amount", and don't forget that the DoJ don't need to have the state of the law explained quite so patiently, they've sat through the process as well).

Without being nasty i gave them no such considerations. I treated them all as though they were not familiar with the law, the definitions of firearms, etc. The statisitcs published, the PQs that go unanswered would suggest they don't know much if any more than the Review committee.

Plus it was hard enough to properly word one submission, and the thoughts of having to rewrite, in part or wholly, another is giving me a headache.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    The statisitcs published, the PQs that go unanswered would suggest they don't know much if any more than the Review committee.

Doubt the selective stats used/ omitted, unanswered PQ's are the result of a lack of knowledge.

Was glad to be able to remedy these to some extent (changed my submission a little in the last few days, added several media reports containing relevant stats after fine-tooth comb search)

I'm not discussing selective stats i'm talking about wrong stats. Firearms ownership stands at 8% in Ireland, apparently. You happy with people thinking this? Healy said it in the review video, and it's been posted numerous times.

This is only one of a number of errors. So it's either alack of knowledge which shows laziness in actually finding out the right number or incompetence for not researching it nd relying on Wikipedia for your answers.

As for PQs. How many questions were asked of the Minister by TDs only to be told "i'll get back to you after An Gardaí tell me". This goes on for months and in the meantime the numbers that cannot be gotten are reported in the media with An Gardaí named as the source. Albeit wrong numbers/stats. Then there is the simple case of just not giving an answer. That standardised response she spewed out for months was a disgrace. Please don't tell me she is a politician, but why not just say " i don't have them, and it's unlikely i will" or "i cannot answer that". Instead we get "For public safety reasons and keeping in mind all the mass shooting that have happened elsewhere we need to review legal firearm owners".

The act of citing public safety DOES NOT make an argument in itself. Even a could of justices mentioned this fact when deciding one pistol appeal cases where Chief Supers cited public safety as a reason for refusing the guns. The justice, in his summation, said that crying public safety without providing proof of what threat the person possess or what public safety issues EXACTLY he is concerned with is not a valid excuse to refuse.

I'm starting to wander again, but my point is this. Its either a conscious decision, by them, to refuse to issue the stats that have been sought, a lack of knowledge of what they are, or they just don't want to research them. So it's dishonest, incompetence or laziness.

...and sent. Attached to this in case anyone is interested.

There really are some doozies in the stats. Example - they said 8.6 firearms per 100 people.

200,436 firearms in 4,609,600 people is 4.3 firearms per 100 people, not 8.6

8.6 turns out to be from the Small Arms Survey 2007 (or wikipedia) and is based on the inclusion of an estimated 150,000 illegally held firearms in the number (and the smaller 4.1 million population in 2005).

But even if you didn't know where it came from, you can do that division in your head well enough to see it's wrong (2/46 = 1/23 which is close to one twentieth which is 5%, not 8%).

Anyway, I could have gone on for a week (actually, I did - it took so long to write this because I got it proofread and the defamation alarms went off and I had to go edit it down with a chainsaw, it's now half the length it started out as).

Anyone still working on theirs, hurry up, you have 38 minutes left to get it in for the 3pm deadline.

Anyone else want to share theirs?

Sparks wrote: »
    .Example - they said 8.6 firearms per 100 people.

200,436 firearms in 4,609,600 people is 4.3 firearms per 100 people, not 8.6
    Even that figure is not exact, and we cannot say what it is. I had the same issue when doing mine.

A few months ago the figure of 178,000 firearms licenses was given in the PQs. Allowing for the fact it's risen a little say 181,000. That is firearms licenses. Not people and it also includes joint license.

I have 5 licenses and my Father 4. That is 9. However we have 6 guns between us. So allowing for people with one license - one gun, multiple licenses - one gun, multiple licenses - multiple guns the figure of 181,000 or 200,000 is still not a true representation of the amount of firearms in the state. Only licenses.

The annoying part is only An Gardaí can give the exact number as it's on PULSE and then when you consider this from another thread some months back:
    Cass wrote:
    In the last 4+ years i've had:
    • A .22 rifle application licensed as a restricted revolver (after November 2008)
    • 13 firearms licenses when i only owned 6 guns
    • Two guns i sold, down to me even though one was exported
    • A gun still licensed to me even though two others have a license on it as a different gun because i called it a CZ, the 2nd lad a Brno, and the last lad a CZ Brno. Same caliber, serial number, etc. throughout.
    • A .308 shotgun
    • A 12 g bolt action .243 rifle
    • A silencer for my 9mm without applying for it
    • A silencer for my shotgun without applying for it
    • A license for a .22lr "suspended" as another lad had a gun with the same serial number. Even after bringing it into the station i was doubted, but no one had checked the other guy. In the end it was him at fault.

You have to ask how accurate PULSE is.

Well, if you've not sent it in by now, tough. Deadline's past, mail inbox is now closed...

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    ...and sent. Attached to this in case anyone is interested.

Anyone else want to share theirs?

Just finished reading all 41 pages with interest.

Let me be the first to congratulate you on an excellent and lucid submission.

attaching the final version of mine

Advertisement