Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

bpb101 wrote: »
    wasent there some trafic cop a few years ago and he pulled over the cheif supper and gave him a speeding ticket or he was drinking or something and gave him a ticket , and the traffic cop was "relocated" to the back arse of donegal

or was it Tallagh hhmmm lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

This is my Preamble to my submission (so far) FYI

"The first and overarching point made to everyone undergoing their first day of firearms training is that every firearm is lethal.

In this submission, I ask Committee members unfamiliar with firearms to suspend any Hollywood images of firearms use and ownership and in the interests of informed debate, to familiarise themselves with the Irish legal firearms ecosystem, which may differ from the groupthink and stereotypes common in the media.

It has been said that democracy needs debate to flourish.

A common aim of modern discourse is to ensure a diverse, tolerant and inclusive society.

In their duty of care to the public - which includes a minority of shooting enthusiasts - I ask the Committee to consider what can be conclusively established on the basis of public evidence.

Some contributors may question the necessity for this discussion RE: prevention of risk to public safety by licensed firearms - as this was explored at considerable length recently at the Barr Tribunal.1 Justice Barr's recommendations led to the present legislation. However the Committee has been tasked and of necessity, must continue the conversation - I ask the members to consider Justice Barr's report closely and any events in the intervening period leading to the present debate.

In particular, I ask the Committee to investigate:

The motivation and/or urgency underlying these proposals
    The credibility of the proposers in this matter
    Evidence supporting Public Safety concerns raised and the adequacy of present legislation in this regard
    The proportionality of the present law
    The effects of implementing these proposals - whether desired, consequential/collateral or unintended.

Shooting enthusiasts played an admittedly small role demonstrating Irish desire for peace in accepting the 1972 Temporary Custody Order and the subsequent firearms licensing policy, but it can be argued that this compliance had an influence on our accession to the EEC in 1973.

With a typical Irish forbearance mirrored again in recent austerity, the shooting minority patiently and peacefully complied with a firearms licensing policy which contravened statute law for thirty years from 1972 -2002, until peace was firmly re-established. The 2002 Dunne Supreme Court case2 is regarded as a milestone by shooting enthusiasts, demonstrating the need for firearms policy to be directed by a Minister; a power the Oireachtas promptly granted and a power which arguably would have been alarming during the Troubles.

In 2006, firearms legislation was introduced to curtail legal handgun ownership, on foot of a public outcry in the wake of gangland executions and feuds using illegal firearms. This legislation has been fully complied with by shooting enthusiasts, but no comprehensive impact analysis has been performed into the effect of the amendment in achieving its stated purpose, as outlined by the then Minister for Justice, Dermot Aherne.

Fully accepting the need for regulation, and fully complying with said regulations, shooting enthusiasts now fear that their forbearance and compliance when the country was in a state of emergency are being misinterpreted by authorities:

At no time in recorded History has a rampage killing of any category occurred in this country.

In a nation with an aversion to hunger, internationally known for its friendly disposition, with a valued reputation as peacemakers in the UN, a respected passport and a population that voted overwhelmingly for peace, a sense of proportion must be applied in the debate questioning a minority within such a nation, a minority which has been assessed on an individual basis by authorities and deemed not to present a threat to public safety or public order.

Such an approach was adopted by Justice Robert Barr in the Tribunal of Inquiry into the death of John Carthy in Abbeylara in 2000. Tribunal recommendations published in 2006 led to extensive consultations between firearms licensing stakeholders, leading to amendments to the Firearms Act incorporating a swathe of agreed improvements implemented in 2009. Irish shooting enthusiasts support some of the strictest and most restrictive firearms regulations in Europe.

I argue that Irish shooting enthusiasts have an unimpeachable history of responsibility in terms of safety and firearms licensing and there is little doubt that they would accept these proposals if they believed the draft heads presented an opportunity to save even a single life going forward.

This is not the case."

1. http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Barr_Tribunal
    2. Dunne and others-v-Donoghue and others [2002] 2 IR 533

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

every firearm is potentially lethal
    Fixed your preamble :P

Also, Dunne didn't demonstrate the need for firearms policy to be directed by a Minister, it just established that the Gardai couldn't rewrite the Firearms Act (and McVeigh established that the Minister couldn't either, it's an Act of the Oireachtas and they're the ones that have to rewrite it).

Sparks wrote: »
    Fixed your preamble :P

Also, Dunne didn't demonstrate the need for firearms policy to be directed by a Minister, it just established that the Gardai couldn't rewrite the Firearms Act (and McVeigh established that the Minister couldn't either, it's an Act of the Oireachtas and they're the ones that have to rewrite it).

All simplifications above in the interests of grabbing a minute or two of quality reading time by Committee members, Sparks.

That is just the preamble, now have to flesh out the substantial part.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

yubabill1 wrote: »
    All simplifications above in the interests of grabbing a minute or two of quality reading time by Committee members, Sparks.
    Yeah, I know, just be careful with the information loss as you simplify because they don't know it's a simplification unless you tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads and Ladies.

The Mods wanted to post this notice in case there are some reading the last few pages and are wondering about making a submission themselves.

DO IT.

Having spoken to a some people and having the same thoughts myself i was hesitant about making any submissions. I thought others would be better suited, and know more than me. In this instance quantity of submissions is a key factor, and not just quality.

People may be put of submitting their own proposals or rebuttals because of the talk of others about submitting pages. Some by the fact of having to identify themselves. Some by the thoughts of being "called in". Each person is free to write as much or as little as they wish, but know this:
    • Your voice, and opinion does matter.
    • There is no pressure on you to write a novel. Whatever you write, that is enough.
    • There is no onus on you to attend. Your submission is enough if that is all you wish to send.
    • Your details are private and once sent in a second, cover, document only you know what you've sent and said.

The important part is that you write in and have your say. If that is one line, one page, 10 pages or a hundred pages. It doesn't matter. We number in the tens of thousands, and while we know that the majority may not be involved, not computer literate, etc. we can still raise enough interest to provide a large volume of replies.

So please, write in. You have to this, and next, Friday to do so. Submit something and have your say. This way you can be satisfied that you done your part.

Thanks.

Mod Team.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

French mass shooting, timing couldn't be worse.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30710883

daragh8008 wrote: »

Terrorist atrocity.

Being very new to the sport I was planning on putting in a short submission myself on friday. However, not wanting to do more damage than good I was wondering if there was any "tin foil hat police" willing to give it a quick read and make sure that it is OK and that it is technically sound and not too affronting. If a more experienced person would be willing to take a read (only 8 pages) I would appreciate it. I'll happily proof check for typos in return. PM me if you can.

Thanks
    Daragh

PM me if no-one has contacted you yet.

Anyone else welcome, too.

Will do what I can.

Yuba.

Extremists with AK47s. Neither of which apply to us, or this topic.

So not being nasty or heartless, but let's not derail or distract from the issue at hand with discussion of such atrocities.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything related to sporting firearms in Ireland. From initial media reports I can gather it involved automatic weaponry, a portable rocket launcher and two religious fanatics.

Two categories of weaponry that are not available to the law abiding public in Ireland and the type of people that if any intelligence is available are excluded from holding a licence.

Ok
    Next bit of submission part-complete;

"1.The motivation and/or urgency underlying these proposals

1.1 To the lay man, these proposals seem to have come out of the blue, in the absence of a general outcry regarding public safety.

1.2 Shooting organisations claim the proposals are motivated by recent court cases in respect of firearms licensing; certainly the compilation and presentation of the proposals could be viewed as adversarial by firearms enthusiasts.

1.3 As a firearms enthusiast following the subject, it would appear to me that the proposers, having explored several avenues in Law to prevent licensing of certain firearms, were given indirect guidance in recent court judgements. I believe this guidance is specifically mentioned by Minister Fitzgerald in answer to a Parliamentary Question from Deputy Niall Collins (Limerick, Fianna Fail);

To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the cases or correspondence that the Judiciary have expressed difficulties in interpreting provisions of current firearms legislation; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [48404/14]
    In Limerick District Court, an appeal hearing was heard in August 2013 with regard to two semi automatic, restricted rifles (rifles resembling assault rifles) and two centre fire handguns. This was an appeal against the decision of the Chief Superintendent not to grant licences for these firearms. It is reported that the Judge stated that the Chief Superintendent is being placed in an invidious position, with his concern being the public who he must protect and the possibility that the firearms may fall into the wrong hands. The Judge commented that the legislation has not grappled with the kernel of the issue; are these firearms lawful or not. The decision in this case was that the licences should be granted.

An appeal was heard in the Dublin District Court in October 2013 against the refusal to grant restricted licences for two centre-fire handguns (Thomas Mansfield V Chief Superintendent Coburn & the Commissioner of An Garda Síochána).

The Judge issued a ten page written judgment in December 2013, allowing the appeal, stating the following: “The Court is satisfied that he has a good and sufficient reason and that the guns are appropriate for the purpose for which they are required. The Court is satisfied that he doesn’t take part in practical or dynamic shooting. I am further satisfied that the concerns expressed by the Chief Superintendent on public safety are not enough to deprive the Appellant of his licence, particularly in view of the unexplained 90% who subsequently got their licences on reconsideration”.

The Judge also states: “Arguments about the availability of guns to civilians is a wider political question for the Legislature to address. This is not a question for the Courts; we can only deal with the law as it is”.

"In February 2014, in Bray District Court, the District Justice granted firearms licensing appeals and directed the relevant Chief Superintendent to issue nine restricted firearm certificates for centre fire handguns. The Judge commented that it was open to the legislature to ban these weapons but in the absence of that, he was allowing all of the appeals."

This indirect guidance is included here to provide datestamp evidence for my opinion on the emergence of these public safety concerns by the promoters.

2.The credibility of the proposers in this matter

2.1 Other submissions to the Committee may detail the large number of court appeals and reviews following licensing decisions since 2009. I ask the committee to consider whether the proposals under consideration are genuinely motivated by either a long-standing fear of an atrocity being committed by a licensed firearm holder -given that the licensor is precluded in Law from issuing a firearms licence on these very grounds - or by a fear of licensed firearms being stolen, which is another ringfenced reason for refusal - or whether the proposers are using the issue of public safety as a flag of convenience to press these proposals home, for motivations unknown.

2.2 Chief Supt. Fergus Healy, in his Dec 17 interview by the Committee, stated that public safety was the number one concern of Gardai in respect of recent court cases appealing firearms licence refusals: I ask the committee to establish - in light of the PQ answer by Minister Fitzgerald above dated December 2014 - whether this is a true reflection of said licence refusal decisions.

2.3 Irrespective of the Committee's findings on the two questions above, the WG Report predates the present Garda Commissioner, Dept. of Justice and Equality Secretary and Minister for Justice and Equality: This would normally be immaterial, but the previous Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan, left in circumstances precipitating an ongoing inquiry and the Committee must consider the quality of a crucial forward looking risk assessment on public safety, executed by the departed Commissioner for the WG Report, which is not included in the group's proposals or Appendices.

2.4 In the WG Report entitled 5. Background / Existing Legislative provisions /Nature of the problem

The statement

"In 2008 the then Minister for Justice, Dermot Ahern T.D. announced his
    intention to introduce restrictions on the licensing of handguns.
    The Minister said that no new licences would be issued for centre-fire
    handguns and that existing licences would not be renewed unless the reapplications
    fully met the requirements of a tightened licensing procedure.
    These arrangements took effect from the time of announcement"

explaining how centrefire handguns are currently licensed by firearms enthusiasts, is conflated with the statement

"At the time the Minister indicated that if the outcome of such a review into
    firearms licensing leaves a situation which still poses an unacceptable risk to
    the community then new powers could be used to ban outright any type of
    firearm."

Firearms enthusiasts accept the individual legitimacy of both statements, but strongly disagree that there is "a situation which still poses an unacceptable risk to the community" either at the present or at any time since the tenure of Minister Aherne and the introduction of the legislation and require hard documentary evidence of such a risk.

Conversely, a June 2014 Dail statement by the Minister for Justice and Equality, Frances Fitzgerald documents a 7% decrease in gun-related crime;

"Garda strategy for tackling gun crime involves targeted and intelligence-based operations, often disrupting and preventing incidents before harm is caused, as well as detecting and prosecuting those involved. Much of this work goes unheralded but it is carried out with great determination by the men and women of An Garda Síochána, who can themselves face great risk in taking on armed criminals.

The robust Garda response to violent crime has led to firearms offences decreasing last year by 7%, and the number of crime incidents in which a firearm was involved was also down, by more than 7%.....
    .....The sale and possession of legally held firearms in this jurisdiction is highly regulated. However, my Department is currently conducting a review of firearms legislation after which I will engage in broader consultations ahead of preparing any legislative changes arising from the review. Ahead of completion of the review, I would point out that our criminal law already rightly provides heavy penalties for weapons offences and mandatory minimum penalties are in place for certain firearms offences. The Garda also has considerable powers available to it in tackling serious and armed crime"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90910759&postcount=687

2.5 Further in the abovementioned WG Report section, the statement

"In relation to short firearms it is important to note that handguns were
    effectively banned in this jurisdiction for more than 30 years prior to 2004"

ignores the fact that this ban was effected by a policy which was later ruled unlawful.

2.6 A series of Parliamentary Questions on behalf of shooting organisations and enthusiasts - some posed as far back as February 2014 - requesting information and statistics pertinent to public safety and firearms remain unanswered at the closing date for submissions to this Committee.

Shooting enthusiasts cynically assume, perhaps with justification, that any and all data in support of the WG Report has been proffered.

2.7 Given the stated Garda difficulties interpreting the present legislation, are they the best people to publish Draft Heads of Bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

My submission pales into insignificance after reading that. Its an excellent, reasoned and well thought out document Yukabill1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Very well researched and wrote , fair play.Mine is in, just kept it basic enough but made my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Reading the WG report again and looking at the members of the group a question springs to mind. How can the review be fair and accurate if all stakeholders are not represented? Wtf happened the partnership model? Am I thick and missing out on something obvious? If the make up of the group is one sided then 'Nemo iudice in causa sua' applies ( No man a judge in his own case - basic pillar of Natural Justice).

My humble few pages pale after reading some of the previous posts.

knockon wrote: »
    My submission pales into insignificance after reading that. Its an excellent, reasoned and well thought out document Yukabill1.
    Very well researched and wrote , fair play.Mine is in, just kept it basic enough but made my point.

But you've both sent one in. THAT is the point. Fair play to ye and lets get more in.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Deaf git wrote: »
    Reading the WG report again and looking at the members of the group a question springs to mind. How can the review be fair and accurate if all stakeholders are not represented?
    I mentioned that in my conclusion......

In conclusion I watched the televised Joint Committee on Justice during their firearm review meeting on December 17th 2014. Whilst I understand almost none of you have any experience of shooting and firearms, you will have a hand in deciding the future of my sport. Unfortunately the information supplied by AGS and the Dept of Justice lacks clarity, accuracy and honesty. Some of you who spoke that day clearly have your mind made up already with "I accept there will have to be some tightening up". Why have you made your mind up without considering the submissions. I am appealing to each of you to carefully look at our submissions. We are law abiding citizens no different from any of you. Don't take information supplied by AGS just because they are Gardai.......

Deaf git wrote: »
    Reading the WG report again and looking at the members of the group a question springs to mind. How can the review be fair and accurate if all stakeholders are not represented? Wtf happened the partnership model? Am I thick and missing out on something obvious? If the make up of the group is one sided then 'Nemo iudice in causa sua' applies ( No man a judge in his own case - basic pillar of Natural Justice).

My humble few pages pale after reading some of the previous posts.

These proposals need many submissions to take them down. My own thoughts -unfinished as yet - only cover part of the picture, as I tried to cover areas which had been thinly addressed.

The more submissions - no matter how humble you may think they are - the better.

Keep 'em coming thick and fast - we only really have tomorrow to get them finished, as 3pm Fri is the deadline.

The joy with so many going in is that where one submission might be weak others will excel in .

For example mine tackles the statistics, mis-information, language, current legislation and how it's not applied, no need for more, etc, etc. I'm weak on case reports but Yubabill and i'm sure others have more than made up for that. So instead of thinking about your submission as a stand alone, think of it as another piece of a huge puzzle that we are all building.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭PL05

Hav,nt read all of proposals but i can see where this is going. As already said, decisions will be made by people who are ignorant regarding firearms and their use for sport. Its also interesting that the amount of murders involving firearms is mentioned and in the same breath it states that because most firearms were,nt recovered its impossible to say if they were licensed firearms that had been stolen. IMO firearms are like tools and how many people were injured or killed with, LETS SAY hammers or screwdrivers are they going to ban them aswell, My point is that IMO, guns dont kill other people, people kill other people and if you as an individual fit the criteria set out by law and are vetted and deemed to be a responsable and decent person the it should be your right to own and use any firearm, be it pistol, semi shotgun, rifle that you are licensed to have. I dont own a pistol and am not intending to own one but that does,nt mean that others should,nt have the right to own and enjoy them. Best of luck toyou lads that do have them and i hope you get to keep them. With regard to semi autos, i will in the future be intending on getting one in 12gauge, so i hope dont get their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

55 pages and I m done tomrrow bar downloading two pages which I cant do as my net is out so im working off my phone.
    Not going to say too much here as no doubt the enemy is reading here too
    But I think it will make for interesting reading and make a few people in power have some hopefully sleep less nights .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Just sent mine 2 minutes ago to both addresses.

Lads don't forget that Friday at 3 pm is the closing time for the firearmsreview@oireachtas.ie submissions and next Thursday for firearms_inbox@justice.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Hi lads. I'm in the process of getting my first rifle. A .22 for rabbit shooting. I'm just wondering, are they looking to ban everything outright.

I've gone and gotten landowners permission. Did a competency course last December. Picked out a rifle sourced a gun cabinet, got character references etc etc. Am I wasting my time?!

Short answer no.

Long answer. These are proposals so while serious and they need addressing they will have no bearing on any applications like your one for the time being. there is a host of issues related to the proposals and some may effect people even if they go for a simple bolt action rifle, but as i said a few posts back or in another thread it'll be 9 months or more before anything came of them even fi they were to run smoothly and be enacted without objection, consultation, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Cass wrote: »
    Short answer no.

Long answer. These are proposals so while serious and they need addressing they will have no bearing on any applications like your one for the time being. there is a host of issues related to the proposals and some may effect people even if they go for a simple bolt action rifle, but as i said a few posts back or in another thread it'll be 9 months or more before anything came of them even fi they were to run smoothly and be enacted without objection, consultation, etc.

Thanks. I'll have a read of more of this thread tomorrow and fire off an email to try help when I know a bit more about it.

Take two aspirin now. :D

Seriously though, you'll be fine. Once you satisfy all requirements then you shouldn't have a bother getting the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

Lads don't forget that Friday at 3 pm is the closing time for the firearmsreview@oireachtas.ie submissions and next Thursday for firearms_inbox@justice.ie

Almost finished, big thanks to Yubabill for proof reading it. One more question, do we need to prepare a new a different submission the department of justice next Thursday or is the same submission ok. Will submissions be shared across or can we use the extra time to sharpen our points etc.

Submission cont'd - WARNING: THIS IS GETTING REALLY JUICY RIGHT HERE

3.Evidence supporting Public Safety concerns raised and the adequacy of present legislation in this regard

3.1 On page 9 & 10 of the WG Review regarding large calibre handguns;

"During 2010, as the new licensing regime became operational, the holders of
    existing licences for restricted handguns could re-apply for those licences.

Chief Superintendents, in some cases, refused these applications primarily on
    public safety grounds. A number of Judicial Review (JR) cases were then
    taken on these decisions, citing a “fixed policy” from the Garda decision
    makers.....applications for such handguns were being refused
    without consideration being given to the merits of individual applications.
    In 2012 these particular JR cases were settled ....
    The number of licence applications involved in these JR
    cases came to 168...

The Garda Commissioner initially wrote to the Secretary General of DOJE
    citing concerns over continued licensing of certain firearms, including
    handguns. His considered view was that centre-fire handguns represent an
    unacceptable risk to society and should no longer be licensed in Ireland.

In August 2013, the Secretary General of DOJE wrote to the Commissioner,
    seeking to establish a joint Working Group."

Essentially, senior Garda officers acting on behalf of the Commissioner reconsidered handgun licenses they had initially refused on "public safety grounds" when JR proceedings found a blanket policy of refusal contrary to the Firearms Act.

Given that the Gardai are prohibited in Law from issuing any firearms licence when the applicant presents a threat to public safety in conjunction with the stated considered view of the departed Garda Commissioner " that centre-fire handguns represent an
    unacceptable risk to society and should no longer be licensed in Ireland"

it is abundantly clear to any disinterested observer that the departed Commissioner supported the "fixed policy" contrary to the Firearms Act found in the JR. This "fixed policy" is the sole area of authority of the Minister for Justice, which is newly-given by the Oireachtas;

Page 8 Section 4. Oireachtas Debates 2009 of WG Report

"The Minister also said “In this Bill, the concept of a prohibited firearm is
    introduced and Section 25 of the Bill (.....) proposes that the Minister.. should
    have the residual powers to be able to declare certain firearms and
    ammunition to be prohibited”.
    (Section 27 of 2009 Act inserted a new Section 2C in the 1925 Firearms Act)."

"Minister Ahern said "I will, in consultation with the Garda Commissioner, keep
    the situation on firearms licensing under review in the interests of public
    safety" "

I ask the Committee to ascertain definitively the extent of consultation on behalf of the departed Commissioner and the sitting Ministers for Justice during the period 2010 - 2012 in relation to the "fixed policy" found in the JR hearings above.

It must be taken that without such consultation, firearms licensing authorities within An Garda Siochana, delegated on behalf of the departed Commissioner were acting ultra vires and essentially usurping a power deemed sensitive enough by the Oireachtas to be reserved for the Minister for Justice alone.

This kind of ultra vires activity was front-and-centre in a series of recent controversies involving An Garda Siochana, GSOC, Dept. of Justice and Equality which became public knowledge during 2014 and which the then-newly-appointed Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald sought to consign to History, with a stated view of rebuilding confidence in State Authority;

"...a series of systemic failings have caused massive controversy and generated mistrust in our police service,"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/frances-fitzgerald-in-scathing-criticism-of-garda-force-30446504.html

3.2 The dispassionate observer must also be made aware that the "fixed policy" - essentially refusing firearms licences on the basis of the firearm's nature - the power reserved for the Minister alone , was not promulgated by the majority of deciding officers - a total of 168 appeals were the subject of JR proceedings out of a total 590 licensed centrefire handguns in the State.

I ask the Committee to consider the existence of "factions" within An Garda Siochana hierarchy during the tenure of the departed Commissioner, specifically in relation to ultra vires activity in the area of firearms licensing, while remaining cogniscant of ongoing inquiries in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

The submission from the VCRAI and its members - discussing ALL aspects of shooting sports in the RoI - was submitted last tuesday morning.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 PatterdalePup

Couple of quick questions, before I read the proposals doc in detail - what is the difference between the two email addresses and the two different deadlines?

Is it also worthwhile emailing or calling my local TD (and any other TD's) at the same time?

Thanks.

Advertisement