Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow Cooker recipes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I finally got around to picking up a slow cooker today and am really looking forward to getting stuck in :)

Have a 1kg ham fillet in the fridge, also picked up some veg to lash in with it but I'm hoping for some advice from you slow cooking experts.

Want to know if the ham would need to be soaked overnight to get rid of the salt or if I just lash all the ingredients in to the SC would the ham make the other ingredients / sauce real salty?

Any suggestions on how long to cook the ham for and what level?

Thanks in advance
    Al

P.S. I'm starving after reading some of the posts on here, really looking forward to using the cooker regularly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

I finally got around to picking up a slow cooker today and am really looking forward to getting stuck in :)

Have a 1kg ham fillet in the fridge, also picked up some veg to lash in with it but I'm hoping for some advice from you slow cooking experts.

Want to know if the ham would need to be soaked overnight to get rid of the salt or if I just lash all the ingredients in to the SC would the ham make the other ingredients / sauce real salty?

Any suggestions on how long to cook the ham for and what level?

Thanks in advance
    Al

P.S. I'm starving after reading some of the posts on here, really looking forward to using the cooker regularly :D

Im guessing the ham would need a good soaking. Did you put it on yet.
    Have not tried a ham yet but its on my list...
    Going to pick up some lamb shanks for tommorrow...

Glebee wrote: »
    Im guessing the ham would need a good soaking. Did you put it on yet.
    Have not tried a ham yet but its on my list...
    Going to pick up some lamb shanks for tommorrow...

Left it soaking overnight, going to stick it on shortly although not certain how much liquid to put in, based on some previous posts here the ham will provide a good bit of juice and I'd say the veggies would too.

In saying that though I don't fancy it being a horribly dry mess.

Will probably stick in a couple of stock cubes dissolved in a mug of boiling water and see how we fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Will probably stick in a couple of stock cubes dissolved in a mug of boiling water and see how we fare.

Don't do that. It will add back all the salt you just took out.
    Just add water/wine/beer/juice or unseasoned stock - it's easy to add a stock cube at the end if you feel it lacks flavour and salt - not so easy to get the salt out.

Don't do that. It will add back all the salt you just took out.
    Just add water/wine/beer/juice or unseasoned stock - it's easy to add a stock cube at the end if you feel it lacks flavour and salt - not so easy to get the salt out.

Ah cool, didn't realise that, thanks for the tip.

Gonna give it a blast, will let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

What cut of pork do people use to make pulled pork? I have a good slow cooker recipe book but it's from NZ and the cuts of meat are all called different things!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    What cut of pork do people use to make pulled pork? I have a good slow cooker recipe book but it's from NZ and the cuts of meat are all called different things!

Shoulder is probably best imo.
    Any cut would probably work, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Shoulder is probably best imo.
    Any cut would probably work, though.

Thanks, I was thinking shoulder. Will look later on for one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i have a pork shoulder in the slow cooker at the moment. :)

it's spent the last 48 hours soaking in teriyaki marinade, so hopefully should come out tasty just like that, but some bbq sauce should make sure of it. ;)

also trying out a trivet made from apples this time instead of my usual onions. should impart some good flavours as well as keeping it off the bottom until the juices start to build up.

I know Lidl sell bags of frozen lamb giggot chops, have any of you used them in the slow cooker before and if so how did they turn out for you?

Superquinn are currently selling 1.6kg chickens for €3.25, could you put one in to cooker whole or should it be segmented?

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to be asking in, still a noobie on this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

I've used both shoulder and neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

ahayes84 wrote: »
    I did a couple of lamb shanks in the Slow cooker this weekend. They were a big hit. I just browned them in a frying pan, deglazed with red wine and added herbs and stock to the slowcooker. Also added some carrots and parsnips and let cook on low for 7 hours. Added some baby potatoes about an hour before serving and turned the heat up to high.

It was gorgeous!

Have some lovely gravy leftover and some lamb so i'm thinking i'll make some pies!

I'm going to have a lash off this tomorrow. Few q's though.....How much stock did you use as a matter of interest? Veg stock yeah? And what herbs did you throw in? Rosemary, thyme? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Ah cool, didn't realise that, thanks for the tip.

Gonna give it a blast, will let you know how I get on.

I love cooking my ham with a can of coke thrown in. Its the perfect amount and adds this amazing sweetness to it as it cooks. Tried it once and will never deviate now!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

I love cooking my ham with a can of coke thrown in. Its the perfect amount and adds this amazing sweetness to it as it cooks. Tried it once and will never deviate now!
    just the ham and coke or do you put something else in and how long do you cook it for?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I do ham shanks for ten hours, then add red cabbage, water, thyme, cinnamon, cardamon and onion, and cook for another ten hours, it's delicious and not at all salty

I've a round roast with shallots, onions, carrots and celery slow roasting away tonight for tomorrows lunch. To be served with roasted root veg and potatoes :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

Would it be possible to slow cook something like pulled pork in a conventional fan oven? How about using an induction hob?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Antifa161 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to slow cook something like pulled pork in a conventional fan oven? How about using an induction hob?

Nope, I asked this before. It's due to how constant the very low temp of a slow cooker is, you can't control it as well in anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I've used both shoulder and neck.

I've used neck too and have one at the ready for tomo. Ordinary loin works well too I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Stheno wrote: »
    I do ham shanks for ten hours, then add red cabbage, water, thyme, cinnamon, cardamon and onion, and cook for another ten hours, it's delicious and not at all salty

Ooooh, that's going on my to do list. Could you give some ball park measurements for the ingredients?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Antifa161 wrote: »

I've always cooked pulled pork in the oven and used this recipe successfully: http://m.foodnetwork.com/recipes/29774.
    What the recipe doesn't say is that you're looking for an internal temperature of 190. It'll take ages to push through the 180s but leave it in the oven till it does. That may be longer than the recipe says. Every piece of pork I've cooked has taken a different amount of time...

I like cooking pulled pork on the bone and that'd never fit in my slow cooker.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    i have a pork shoulder in the slow cooker at the moment. :)
    came out lovely. :)

281730.jpg

Made a trivet with 5 apples and left it in all day on low, then mash the apples up and pull the pork, mix through and then drain the excess meat juices and put them with a can of bulmers in a pan with a teaspoon of English mustard, and 6 tablespoons each of rice wine vinegar, honey, tomato ketchup, good oyster sauce, light muscavado sugar and 6 teaspoons of tomato puree and reduce it down to a thick syrup before adding it back to the meat in the slow cooker for 30 more minutes.

casio4 wrote: »
    just the ham and coke or do you put something else in and how long do you cook it for?

Yes just the ham and coke. I usually stab the ham (great for stressful mornings! :D) So it has deep holes down into it and I pour the coke slowly into those (yes, most of it runs down the sides, but some stays in there) pop the lid on and in fairness its a dinner I use when I've no idea when anyone is going to be home so for the "how long do I cook it" question hmmm, its 6-9 hours (on low) depending on the day, and whoever gets home first turns it to high for the last hour or the last one to arrive home. Times that I've actually tried to cook it for a certain time I left it in for just over 5 hours (on high) and it was perfect.

I've never had a bad ham come out of it despite my crazy cooking with it, its always been flawless so I really think ham is one of those things that cannot come out of a slow cooker badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Yes just the ham and coke. I usually stab the ham (great for stressful mornings! :D) So it has deep holes down into it and I pour the coke slowly into those (yes, most of it runs down the sides, but some stays in there) pop the lid on and in fairness its a dinner I use when I've no idea when anyone is going to be home so for the "how long do I cook it" question hmmm, its 6-9 hours (on low) depending on the day, and whoever gets home first turns it to high for the last hour or the last one to arrive home. Times that I've actually tried to cook it for a certain time I left it in for just over 5 hours (on high) and it was perfect.

I've never had a bad ham come out of it despite my crazy cooking with it, its always been flawless so I really think ham is one of those things that cannot come out of a slow cooker badly.
    sorry one more question do you steep it the night before in water to get rid of the salt?thanks

sorry one more question do you steep it the night before in water to get rid of the salt?thanks
    normally you would, but it depends how salty it is.

i've found that the dunnes ham seems to need less soaking than most, but you'll want to soak most ham for at least 10-12 hours, or up to 24 hours if you want to get a good bit of the salt out. i guess it depends on how salty you like it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trmartin

vibe666 wrote: »
    came out lovely. :)

281730.jpg

Made a trivet with 5 apples and left it in all day on low, ...

Thanks for this receipe.

A question: did you use any liquid e.g. stock, when you were cooking the pork?

trmartin wrote: »
    Thanks for this receipe.

A question: did you use any liquid e.g. stock, when you were cooking the pork?
    no, not at all, as with most slow cooking recipes, because no juices escape due to the lid on the pot there are more than enough juices in what is being cooked.

i actually had to drain all the juices off and put them in with the sauce to reduce them down.

No worries - I'm always full of questions too! :D Far less goes wrong when you question the hell out of it! :D

I usually do a quick soak in the sink (cleaned out very well I might add) as I'm getting the slow cooker set up (aka haul it out from its hiding place), I usually use hot water and cover it as much as possible. As someone else said it really depends on 1) how salty the ham is to begin with and 2) how salty you like it.

I find with the ham that I usually get from my local butcher, it doesn't really need soaking at all and at times I wont bother just slap it in get on with it. But the likes of Tesco ham I will usually do that hot water soak for about half an hour. I got an Aldi ham last christmas (didn't get to my butcher in time for final orders) and it was lovely, on par with the butchers.

And I do ultimately find that the coke really cuts the salt out of the meat, or maybe its all the sugar - I've no idea unfortunately I'm no kitchen wizard scientist master. Just crazy enough to try stuff :D But all the times I cook ham - which is a lot because I have friends over a lot and will stick a slow cooked ham on in addition to whatever else I've cooked in case anyone doesn't like the main and everyone requests it at this point and bits to take home! - something must be going right! :D

And I do ultimately find that the coke really cuts the salt out of the meat, or maybe its all the sugar - I've no idea unfortunately I'm no kitchen wizard scientist master. Just crazy enough to try stuff :D
    AFAIK, sugar counteracts saltiness in food. it won't reduce the amount of salt in the food, it will just mask the flavour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've tried cooking ham without pre-soaking, which was very salty, but I love salty food so I still enjoyed it. I've also tried soaking overnight and for just 4 hours, both were about the same, and much less salty than unsoaked.

I do love ham slow cooked in coke, it adds a nice depth to the flavour, a little like smoked ham, but nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I have a new slow cooker and the pot inside is non-stick. The booklet with it says not to use any vinegar in the pot as it could errode the non-stick coating. Now this sounds like bs to me but obviously I don't want to ruin the pot - could cooking with vinegar really do that? I've used vinegar in my non-stick frying pan before with no problem.

Advertisement