Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Torque app question - coolant temp?

• 11-11-2013 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

Question for data logging fiends, what coolant temp are you logging this weather? Mostly interested in 100kph open road type driving.

First time having a Japanese car new enough to have a standard OBD socket - 75c seems low to me, but I have nothing to compare it to really!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Question for data logging fiends, what coolant temp are you logging this weather? Mostly interested in 100kph open road type driving.

First time having a Japanese car new enough to have a standard OBD socket - 75c seems low to me, but I have nothing to compare it to really!
    I'd imagine that's fine, 75 to 80 is usually what the thermostats are set to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Not using torque, and instead using hardware to log the data. I drove from Mayo to Dublin last night and had temps of around 74 to 77. The intake air temp was around 3 degrees at times. Speeds were in and around 100km/h.

Normally around town and up to suburban speeds it'd be running early to mid 90s. I believe that's pretty optimal. I'm thinking of blocking the upper grille for winter, or at least longer trips during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I have an M47D bmw diesel, once up to temp it runs at 82 - 87 degrees pretty much all year round, got to 89 once under heavy load (that big hill on the belfast derry road). Its so well regulated that my electric fan hasn't worked in years and it makes no difference.

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Yeah, standard stat in mine is 75ish. Was still expecting slightly higher temp as it's only just opening a bit at that. Thought there might be a little more mpg to be got at say 85c. I'll skip on blocking air to the rad though - just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Blocking the rad really shouldn't be necessary as long as the thermostat's working properly? As an aside, it's a real shame that no-one's found a way to harness all that wasted heat.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Blocking the rad really shouldn't be necessary as long as the thermostat's working properly? As an aside, it's a real shame that no-one's found a way to harness all that wasted heat.
    ... Kittens have. Humans haven't.

The toyota prius thermos flask must be the most advanced development in automotive rads/cooling systems for many years!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

... Kittens have. Humans haven't.

The toyota prius thermos flask must be the most advanced development in automotive rads/cooling systems for many years!
    It's better than nothing, but it's still only a tiny proportion of the wasted energy. Isn't there some way of converting heat into electrical current? Just had a quick google and found this: http://www.gizmag.com/alloy-converts-heat-into-electricity/19025/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Some of the guys in the owners club for my car have added a second thermostat at 93C, which increases fuel efficiency and warm up rates somewhat.

@anan, Nice bit of science there if it yields good conversion efficiency, the challenge is, I assume if the metal only produces a magnetic field as its heated, it would need to heated and cooled rapidly to get field to collapse. For this to be a wonder material you would need to pump heat into it, a field is created and the transfer of energy causes the material temperature to drop,more heat causes it generate a field and the cycle continues.
    The temperature controller in some soldering irons works along a similar bt opposing mechanism, magnetic field until it reaches a temperature, then the field collapses, a reed switch then opens and closes to regulate the iron temperature.

Metcal irons yeah? Nice to use.

Tbh, most people with a subaru 2.5 would be quite happy to see the coolant steady at 75c, too many have the opposite problem!

29mpg on first tank without driving like a pure miser, temperature must be ok so.

Advertisement