Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Paint won't set after three weeks

• 02-08-2013 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hi, anyone else struggling with tacky paint this weather?

I painted a house a few weeks ago. I painted the banisters and front door in a Dulux high gloss deep juniper(brand new can). The paint still hasn't cured hard. It is still tacky and soft. I sanded the old paint beforehand and cleaned it with white spirits and didn't use an undercoat. :confused: It says 24 hours drying time on the can but they said they couldn't close the door for three days and even at that it pulled off the paint in a few spots. Will the paint harden eventually or could it be a bad batch of paint? Yesterday when I went to lift a drip of paint of the porch concrete floor with a chisel (preping for tiling) it just streaked across the floor, when I expected it to be hard. I've experienced paint being tacky for a few days before, but this has me worried.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

I painted a house a few weeks ago. I painted the banisters and front door in a Dulux high gloss deep juniper(brand new can). The paint still hasn't cured hard. It is still tacky and soft. I sanded the old paint beforehand and cleaned it with white spirits and didn't use an undercoat. :confused: It says 24 hours drying time on the can but they said they couldn't close the door for three days and even at that it pulled off the paint in a few spots. Will the paint harden eventually or could it be a bad batch of paint? Yesterday when I went to lift a drip of paint of the porch concrete floor with a chisel (preping for tiling) it just streaked across the floor, when I expected it to be hard. I've experienced paint being tacky for a few days before, but this has me worried.

I have the same problem with sand tex exterior metal paint.

Any suggestions on how to remove it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Take the can back to your supplier, it was probably a bad batch.

Three weeks is more than enough, even in this weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Could be a bad batch or could of been put on to thick making the outside skin over and the sealing the underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

rule 1 - always use undercoat , read the tin

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭richiet

Sounds like an issue with the paint. ICI and many other paint companies are really struggling with making their paints better for the environment, which they are required to do. They have to change the formulas, and to me it seems to be a case of trial and error. Three weeks sounds excessive, I'd be blaming the paint anyway. You may need to strip it off, using e.g. nitromors and do it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,852 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hoffmans wrote: »
    rule 1 - always use undercoat , read the tin
    Nothing to do with OP issue. Nothing at all.

Advertisement