Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

alfa beta wrote: »
    oh no - what's going on - yesterday I had three thanks this morning I have two - weebly's disappeared. :eek:

I didn't know you were allowed to take away a thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

FudgeBrace wrote: »

You can. There is a button that says 'remove your thanks'. I suppose it is there in case you make a mistake or change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

FudgeBrace wrote: »

don't even think about it fudge

i've already tracked down weebly

he was repentant - but it was too late....

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

It almost always is...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I am seriously scared to thank your posts now in case I ever have to change my mind. You're scaring me. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Was that story about the woman in the car biographical?

I wouldn't worry - it doesn't look like you're gonna need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Two excellent stories, easily on a par with each other IMO. The darkness of the endings of both made me cringe a little if I am totally honest, but what clinched it for me was the first was the fight with the dog didn't upset me as much as the second story's ending. Things about kids always upsets me. I think it is because I love kids and can not have them myself. Anyway for that reason alone I settled on voting for the first story.

Please though in the next challenge can someone give us a happy ending. Jaysus I am tying a noose for myself here :D:D

hcass wrote: »
    Was that story about the woman in the car biographical?

god no - that guy was much nicer than me - I wouldn't have bothered offering her a lift!!!

(Can't finish that story - it's not working - funny isn't it, sometimes you think you have a cracking idea and it just flops when you write it - might try to ressurrect it some other time)

Congratulations Alfa Beta - well done. I loved your story. Hope you enjoy your reign as much as I enjoyed mine.

• Advertisement

thanks hcass - maybe a rematch sometime eh?? -

thought your piece was top drawer stuff - found it really interesting how you turned the bullied into the bully at the end - often tends to be the case for real unfortunately

have to say i didn't expect the violence of the ending - i'd have voted for it over mine actually - it was quite shocking

poor poodle, poor little fi-fi - can't get her final whimpers out of my head - you're a very cruel author!

thanks hcass - maybe a rematch sometime eh?? -

thought your piece was top drawer stuff - found it really interesting how you turned the bullied into the bully at the end - often tends to be the case for real unfortunately

have to say i didn't expect the violence of the ending - i'd have voted for it over mine actually - it was quite shocking

poor poodle, poor little fi-fi - can't get her final whimpers out of my head - you're a very cruel author!

Ah yours blew mine out of the water. Great story, great style of writing. Well deserved.

I think I will take a loooooong break from the arena now. Although I enjoyed it it's a great deal of pressure to deal with too! Even if it is a bit of craic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I thought there was someone else in the queue

Gwan so, I'll give it a go
    Can someone else pick a theme though please :pac:

yer on bluewolf

as soon as a theme is suggested (by you or anyone else) we'll get cracking!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Seeing at it's 6 days away, how about "Solstice" as a theme?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Now that gives me an idea!
    I might be kicked out for writing about my box again though :p

Good stuff

'solstice' sounds good to me

I'm ready whenever you are bluewolf

Grand I'll throw something up in the morning... :)

that's how I usually feel after a good saturday night too!!!

that's how I usually feel after a good saturday night too!!!

I'm sure the result from my end will look much the same - bit uninspired today even though the topic is fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

How about something off this album . . . Songs From The Wood - Jethro Tull.

I apologise in advance ^^

Solstice

Dave flicked through the channels one last time and sighed. There was nothing on at all, so he really might as well get up and go. The posters for the midsummer bonfire had been up everywhere, and it looked like the thing of thing he could skulk around at without it being as obvious as usual that he didn’t fit in. Enjoy some fireworks, eat some food, get out of the house. Things might be different this time.
    He got there when things seemed to be in full swing. Throngs of people gathered around, and the giant effigy was well on fire, though it was still possible to make out the crown on its head. For a moment, it intimidated him enough that he considered just running away again: just get back into the car and don’t face the people.

Come on, Dave, you always do this. You don’t have to do anything, just walk up, wander around, enjoy the firework show, leave. Won’t kill you.

A short time later, he was chewing his way thoughtfully through some local vegetarian stuff that really wasn’t the same as a burger but not so bad anyway, and watching the fireworks, when a young woman approached him. She was carrying some notepads and pencils. Trying not to drop the food in shock, he nodded at her.
    “Hi! Do you want to make a wish?”
    “I…er… what?”
    “Write your wish down on a paper, and throw it into the fire. Midsummer wishes will come true!”
    He suppressed the urge to roll his eyes at her, or even to start ranting at length about how stupid the whole idea was, and politely took one of the pages. She waved cheerfully and wandered off to offer them to the next group of people.

Might as well, right? What will I wish for?

He wrote it down, and threw the paper into the fire, stepping quickly back again. It crumpled and burned and blackened with no real ceremony.
    He shook his head and decided to leave. Nothing really changed, did it?

Turning his key in the front door, he heard a whimper from somewhere in the garden. He frowned and turned to look around. Even for the late hour, it was still bright enough to see. The whimper came again and he tracked it down to a corner beside the main garden wall. “It” turned out to be a bag with a puppy’s head peeking out of it; old enough to be away from its mother, but not by far. Judging by the bag, it had been dumped. He picked the puppy up out of the bag, and brought it inside to find a blanket and water and to ransack the press for anything that might be suitable for a puppy to eat. He’d never had a dog before, and had no idea how to mind it, but he could figure something out, at least for now. The puppy was cute, some breed he couldn’t identify, and obviously cold and hungry and alone. “I know how that feels, puppy.”

The puppy suddenly licked his face, wagging its tail, showing him far more affection than anyone had done in years, just for being him. A tear rolled down his cheek, and he hugged it closer, resolving to keep and take care of it himself. Maybe sometimes, things did change.

My Grandmother was a wonderful woman.

Nana Mac we used to call her when we were small. We'd all go round to her place on a Sunday where she’d be waiting with sweets and hugs and smiles and sometimes even money.

I still remember how her little house felt so warm and cosy, the range always on, the smell of fresh bread, my parents sitting at the table drinking tea, my dad laughing and rubbing his hands together the way he did when he was relaxed.

I don't have any memories of Granda Mac. He died before I was born. There was a picture of him in Nana's bedroom though. I remember it because of where it hung - very low on the wall and almost tucked into a corner. 'Why's that picture so low down?' I once asked Nana. She looked at me and smiled. 'I have my reasons' was all she said, tapping her nose.

As I grew, she'd tell me how much I reminded her of him. 'Look how big you're gettin,' she'd say, holding my chin up with a hand that was just starting to shake, 'You look so like my David. The girls'll be mad about you.’ I'd blush awkwardly and my parents would smile. That proud little smile only parents have.

To be honest, the girls weren't that 'mad’ about me. But there was one who seemed to like me. And I liked her too. Jenny was her name. We got married when we were both twenty-five. We had no money, no jobs and a small child at the time. Things were tough.

But they'd have been a lot tougher without Nana Mac. She died the year we got married and in her will she left me and Jenny her little house. The relief of not having to pay rent - on top of all the other bills - was immense. It felt like we could breathe for the first time in months. We moved in quickly and quietly, without fanfare or fuss, our gratitude to the old woman never far from our thoughts as we shunted and carried our meagre belongings into our new home.

It was while lifting boxes of clothes into the upstairs bedroom, the one with the small skylight in the ceiling, that I saw Jenny stop and look curiously at the picture of Granda Mac still hanging in the corner. 'Odd place to hang a picture,' she said.

I smiled and nodded. 'You know, I always thought the same thing.' I lifted the picture off its hook and lay it on the bed, in order to store away later. The wallpaper behind it was a shade darker than the rest. It would have to stay that way though. We had no money to redecorate.

A few months later, as summer loomed and our little house grew more and more accustomed to our presence, I found myself lying on the bed in that same room. It was a late and lazy Saturday morning and I had crossword and coffee in hand. Eight down. It was on the tip of my tongue, but I just couldn't get it. I looked up and tried to think. And that was when I noticed something.

I noticed how the light that entered the room through the skylight formed a bright rectangle on the opposite wall - a rectangle that was the same shape and size as the patch of recently revealed wallpaper and, what's more, a rectangle that almost - but not quite - lined up with that same unfaded patch.

Then it hit me. And over the following few weeks I kept an eye on it, checking on sunny days to see if I was right. Slowly I realised I was.

It was June 21st, just before midday, when I called Jenny. 'Here, have a look at this, before the sun goes in,' I said. She came and stood next to me. We both looked at the bedroom wall and at the way the shafts of bright sunlight now lined up precisely with the area of darker wallpaper that sat under the newly unencumbered hook.

'That's why she hung his picture there,' I said quietly. 'So he’d be lit up today. The solstice. The day the sun reaches its highest point. And the day he died. It was her way of marking his anniversary.'

We stood there in silence for a while. Then I felt Jenny's hand take mine. 'So sweet,' she said, 'We should put him back up there.'

I nodded. 'She’d like that,' I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Two good stories, but the second one is my favourite

I'm trying to write a [not very good] short story myself, so would love to play the winner in order to stretch the creative muscles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Alpha beats just tugs at the heart strings so much that they resonate in harmony. It's beautiful!

blue's one about the puppy was nice but I'd like to have been able to imagine the puppy better. I love puppies! No colour makes it hard, for me anyway, to identify with the puppy being an actual puppy.

Well I am happy to lose to such a lovely story :cool:
    And hopefully the place has been livened up again too :D

i wouldn't throw in the towel yet bluewolf....there's a good few hours left for voting and there's a bunch of regulars in here whose names haven't appeared under either story yet.

Come on folks, get your voting sticks out of your assses and hit those thank-you symbols for blue and me....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

My vote is for bluewolf's effort. Both were emotional stories the first one felt more 'real', whereas in the second I felt a little bit too much story was crammed into too little space (plus.....serious lack of puppy)

note for next story: include puppy

(no matter what the ****ing subject matter is...!!!)

• Advertisement

Sorry I am so late voting - reda them both yesterday but had to take some time to think and was too close to call. Went with Alfa Beta in the end as I just like your style of writing so much. Still enjoyed both though.

Advertisement