Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

4-18 to 1-10 Final score. Excellent stuff. Well played all concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Shane transferred to Carrigtwohill at the start of this year, his brothers Daragh and Niall play with Tourin, as far as I know there is a lot of upheavel in Cappoquin, players have walked and management also.

Heard another one of the Fives - Darragh I think - maybe heading to Carrig as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Not much I can say about that game really. The lads were excellent. Clare were poor of course, happens with Minors. Our own lads first touch was magnetic though.

Austin Gleeson has everything and gave a superb display at centre back. Half forward line in the first half were very good, especially Adam Farrell and Cormac Curran (the latter being very prominent through out). That inside forward line is special though. Top hurlers all of them.

The first goal Conor Gleeson picked up the ball around the 21 and put the head down and went straight for it, did really well to shrug off the tackle and finished well. The second was a long free which Michey Kearney did brilliantly to keep in play and bat back across the square, and Cormac Curran was there to pull to the net. The third was a well struck penalty by Bennett, won by Patrick Curran who gave an exhibition in trickery and cool finishing. The fourth was probably the best, as Curran received a good low ball in the full forward poisition and gavce a beautiful first time handpass to the incoming Stephen Bennett who came through like a freight train and finished low passed the Keeper who rushed out of his goal. The kind of move that you just can't defend against.

The team looked really good today. You can be sure it won't be the half as easy down in Cork in June though.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

great win, Jesus there are some scorer's on that team, cant wait to play cork, this is a very good minor team, and cork apparently have a good minor team too, be nice to see some of the future stars in action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

did stephen bennett start? id expect waterford to beat cork and get into munster final, losing v tipp the last day mightnt have been the worse thing to happen, extra games will stand to the young lads, stephen bennett is back and they could get a more settled team together, id fancy our chances v tipp in the munster final, obviously tipp have to beat limerick which they should.
    anyone have the waterford team as they lined out and scorers?

• Advertisement

did stephen bennett start? id expect waterford to beat cork and get into munster final, losing v tipp the last day mightnt have been the worse thing to happen, extra games will stand to the young lads, stephen bennett is back and they could get a more settled team together, id fancy our chances v tipp in the munster final, obviously tipp have to beat limerick which they should.

Waterford lined out as named. The subs were Stephen Bennett on for Colm Roche, Kevin Daly on for Barry Whelan, DJ Foran on for Mikey Kearney, Christy Breathnach for Mark O Brien and Paul O Connor for Patrick Curran I think.

The scorers from what I can remember were Austin Gleeson 0-1, Conor Gleeson 1-0, Mikey Kearney 0-2, Adam Farrell 0-3, Cormac Curran 1-02, Mark O Brien 0-1, Christy Breathanch 0-1, DJ Foran 0-2 (might have been one), Stephen Bennett 2-0 and that would leave Patrick Curran 0-7.

Not sure if that's 100% but it's along those lines.

Waterford lined out as named. The subs were Stephen Bennett on for Colm Roche, Kevin Daly on for Barry Whelan, DJ Foran on for Mikey Kearney, Christy Breathnach for Mark O Brien and Paul O Connor for Patrick Curran I think.

The scorers from what I can remember were Austin Gleeson 0-1, Conor Gleeson 1-0, Mikey Kearney 0-2, Adam Farrell 0-3, Cormac Curran 1-02, Mark O Brien 0-1, Christy Breathanch 0-1, DJ Foran 0-2 (might have been one), Stephen Bennett 2-0 and that would leave Patrick Curran 0-7.

Not sure if that's 100% but it's along those lines.

sound

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Brilliant result for the lads, delighted. Like I and others have said before it would have been a shame if this group of players had their season finished last night. Hopefully Stephen Bennett is back to fitness, he at least has another few more weeks to get back up to full fitness for Cork. 4-18 is serious scoring, I don't know what Clare were like but credit still due to the lads.
    Well done to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Why is the minor semi final is at a Cork venue? When the teams last met in 2010 the 1st match was played in Cork where it ended in a draw and the replay was in Waterford which the Deise boys won. I don't think its fair if that replay counts as a home fixture on the home/away basis that this championship is run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

WumBuster wrote: »
    Why is the minor semi final is at a Cork venue? When the teams last met in 2010 the 1st match was played in Cork where it ended in a draw and the replay was in Waterford which the Deise boys won. I don't think its fair if that replay counts as a home fixture on the home/away basis that this championship is run.

I know what you're saying but they don't take account of that, they always alternate every year from where it was played the year before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Well done to the lads on a great win. Commiserations to Clare they must be in shock after that result. Hope Waterford can keep this form up for the Cork game because it wont mean anything if we lose the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Cake Man wrote: »
    I know what you're saying but they don't take account of that, they always alternate every year from where it was played the year before.

well on that basis we should get the home advantage because Cork had the original home advantage the last year we played. The replayed match imo shouldnt count really as it was the same tie. It just seems a tad unfair to me.

with the forwards they have they are better off playing it in cork, big open field compared to fraher field, the crowd would be less intimidating in cork ie bigger stand the lads wouldnt notice the crowd as much which may unsettle some young lads if it was a big crowd packed into fraher field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

As usual we win one game and completely lose the run of ourselves. And i wonder why the countys around us laugh at us when we get beat

robopaddy wrote: »
    As usual we win one game and completely lose the run of ourselves. And i wonder why the countys around us laugh at us when we get beat

Yeah I dunno, Tipp are very good, ye'll have your work cut out against them in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

after watching them again last night, i still think theres more in that team, young hahessy in the corner is a find, not sure still about the full back, looks slow and tentative, tramore lad in the other corner i will give him a pass as he played as if he was questioning whether he should have ben there, goalies puck out is terrible to the point the players out the field look as if they havent a clue where its going to go, it could drop short, it could take a minute to come down and still drop short, and he looks as if he played in goal for the second time, devine was quality and aggressive at wing back, gleeson is the best minor centre back i'v seen and i'v seen a few in the first ten minutes of the second half and he was imperious through out he looked like a senior hurler playing minor, young bennet in the left back slot, has all the hurling and confidence in the world, but he is a defender first, second, and last, he plays wing back like he was a loose third midfielder, i think his man got the goal and possibly got most of the clare scores they got from play, has to be tighter and his deliveries has to be quicker, i suppose it asks the question, does he see himself as a wing back?.midfield is fine harney puts in some shift, and by saying that i am not dismissing his quality i think this guy has all the quality of a brick walsh with at this stage a tad more hurling, brave, aggressive strong tough good engine able to hurl but a ball winner what you need, and mark o brien seems to be growing into his role good striker brave moblie strong looks a good hurler i thought he was very unlucky to be subbed V Tipp.,our half forward line farrell looked up for it and when he is, he is quality but when he is not he offers nothing games play around him, lst night in the first half he looked as if he was hurling with great confidence, 3 great points prior to half time and his delivery to the inside line was excellent, hope he can keep that up he will be talked about in the same vein as some of the quality around him, roche center forward looks as if he had a bit more confidence he would be very good but he does not seem to believe how good he can be, did some really nice stuff, knits the game together well, well able to hurl, but allowed himself to drift from the game, i think dj foran should be there but just my opinion, How did cormac curran not start the last day , and this alone makes me question wht the selectors know, huge man, great hurler, great stuff in him, aggressive to the point of being beligerent, wonderfull ball winner and makes great decisions on the ball, and can take a score, if the goalkeeper could reach him with every puck out, i would let him under them all , massive plus from the tipp game.inside line quality quality quality quality quality, don't need to say any more some of the scores take by all three were magnificent, had the clare full back line in all sorts of trouble, if i had to pick one thing its i would like to see young gleeson have a little bit more confidence he is a lovely hurler, good pace, took the first goal like he was doing it all his life, but then allowed the other two, Kearney and curran to run the show, has the qualty to be as good as both of those , i just wonder if he is an inside forward.Stephen bennet is not fit, took both goals well, dj foran should be either full forward or centre forward, dungarvan keeper should be in goal and whilst the full back had a wonderfull game , he is unfit and tentative, other than that great win, and the quality of some of the hurling and scores was a joy to behold, we would have beaten tipp if the team was placed like this and we hurled at this pace, Clare were poor, and waterford dropped the intensity for the last 20-15 min, what can you do?. Will beat cork and then will beat tipp if we tidy up the small things, fellows recover from injury, we get abit fitter and sharper in certain areas , good team, and as for patrick curran better team player than paul flynn at this age[i think he has another year at minor] better work rate and all the class, he was getting stick last night and took it and got better some of his scores and passes for others around him was worth the free entrance alone[not for me though], Great night.,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Orizio wrote: »
    Yeah I dunno, Tipp are very good, ye'll have your work cut out against them in the final.

Nice try Orizio, but no dice :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Cork lads playing the béal bocht. Who are they trying to kid?

im not losing the run of myself at all, we should beat cork, they are not a great side and struggled to beat clare....we will have a better team out v tipp with games under our belt and id expect us to have a right cut off them. now if thats running away with myself, i wouldnt like to see conservative in your world!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Prior to this game I reckoned that even though the Clare/Cork first round game was a close and high-scoring affair, this did not mean that the teams were any good. While minor teams can blow hot and cold, Clare certainly looked a poor team last night, or at least were made to look poor by a Waterford team which played with a lot of confidence.

Waterford also had a lot of big men playing well in key positions. Clare, like Wexford, don’t seem to be producing any big players these days. They found it difficult to penetrate the strong Waterford half back line and, while it looked early on that their full forward (their one really big-sized player) might cause some problems, the threat never materialised.

After the sides swapped a couple of early points, Waterford established a hold on the game in the 10th minute when a long ball in from midfield broke behind the Clare defence and full forward Conor Gleeson was on to it in a flash, driving past his marker to finish strongly to the net.

With Cormac Curran winning ball after ball and Austin Gleeson lording it at centre back, Waterford were the dominant team but missed some good chances and, with the aid of the stiff breeze, Clare were just able to stay in touch, going in at half time 1-10 to 0-8 down.

Waterford got the perfect start to the second half when Adam Farrell flighted an excellent sideline across the face of the Clare goalmouth where corner forward Michael Kearney, standing on the end line, did really well to bat the ball down for Cormac Curran to drill first-time to the net.

Waterford followed up with two points but Clare then upped their game and began to win a lot of ball around midfield. They did tack on two points and if they had managed to get a goal at this stage who knows how the game would have developed.

Waterford introduced Stephen Bennett (looking somewhat overweight) in the 40th minute and three minutes later he blasted a penalty to the net after Patrick Curran was taken down going through. This put Waterford into a 3-13 to 0-10 lead.

Patrick Curran was unlucky not to raise a green flag himself when his shot after a great solo run was well saved by the Clare goalkeeper. Waterford added three more points and then produced the coup de grace in the 55th minute when Curran’s super pass allowed the inrushing Bennett to leave the defence in his wake and slip the ball expertly to the net.

The Waterford goalkeeper got little enough to do in general play, but his puckouts lacked length and were very unpredictable in terms of trajectory and where they landed. Given Waterford’s ability to win ball in the air around midfield, they really need reliable and predictable puckouts for maximum effectiveness.

The Waterford fullback Sam O’Neill (who also looks overweight) looked a bit vulnerable to low incoming ball early on but made a couple of great high catches late in the game as Clare resorted to route one in search of goals. In the right corner William Hahessy did fine but in the other corner Barry Whelan seemed to lack confidence and focus.

Austin Gleeson gave a powerful performance, especially in the second half while Tom Devine to his right, back in his favourite wing back position, was also excellent. On the other flank, Shane Bennett made some great runs out of defence in the second half, but he still allowed the man he was marking, Bobby Duggan, to notch 1-2 from play.

Playing at left half forward, Cormac Curran gave an exhibition of ball winning and good control (especially for such a big man). It beggars belief that he did not start in the game against Tipperary, especially given his performances for Dungarvan Colleges and Dungarvan CBS. His point in the first half, when he grabbed a Waterford puckout and drove the ball over the bar against the wind from midfield, was a highlight of the game.

On the other wing Adam Farrell had a very good first half, scoring three points, but seemed to fade out after the change of ends. In the inside line, Patrick Curran gave another sublime exhibition of skill, pace and score-taking, finish with five points from play, while in the other corner Michael Kearney also played superbly, with three points to his credit.

A further encouraging feature of this game was the impression made by the substitutes. Stephen Bennett bagged two coals, Christy Breathnach landed a great long-range point with his first touch, and Kevin Daly made an instant impact when brought in at corner back. DJ Foran (surprisingly a non-starter) won the ball repeatedly following his introduction, and better shooting would have given him a better return than the one point which he did manage.

Ten different players contributed to the Waterford score. Interestingly, Waterford got no points from frees, due simply to the fact that Clare committed no fouls within scoring distance (apart from the penalty concession). By contrast, Bobby Duggan converted five frees for Clare (and missed a couple more). The media made a thing of the fact that Duggan was the only scorer for Clare from the third minute on, but most of his scores came from frees which were mostly earned by other Clare players.

In a post, ManFromCheese described Páirc Uí Chaoimh as a “big open field compared to Fraher Field”. I have seen posters here before describing Fraher Field as a tight pitch. If you look at the distance between the halfway line and the 65 metre lines you will appreciate that Fraher Field is very long (and significantly longer than Walsh Park). It is also very wide, and in my view as big as any hurling pitch in Ireland.

• Advertisement

im not losing the run of myself at all, we should beat cork, they are not a great side and struggled to beat clare....we will have a better team out v tipp with games under our belt and id expect us to have a right cut off them. now if thats running away with myself, i wouldnt like to see conservative in

Clare didnt show up yesterday we are no way 17 points better than them and if we start beleiving we are we are only fooling ourselves. Cork are stronger this year than other years. and going down to parc ui caoimh to play them at any level is going to be the tough. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded

What do we think of the Senior championship games this weekend? Interesting games, and the only game I would expect more than 6 points between the sides is in the De La Salle v Ballyduff game. Maurice Geary returns as manager which is a plus but they are without Cian Leamy through injury and of even more importance is the loss of Molumphy and Power. DLS missing Daniels and that may will be a factor later in the championship but not here in my view.

Tomorrow night's game is probably the most eagerly anticipated. Mount Sion will be looking to upset the favourites for the 3rd time in succession, and Ballygunner have a lot of questions to answer after last year's campaign. You'd expect them to want to start the championship positively though this year, and what better motivation that playing against the old rivals having lost the past two against them.

Unlike the Dungarvan Observer, I think Passage should beat Abbeyside even without Eoin Kelly. Abbeyside are down Richie Foley, Shane Briggs and another starter whose second name is Breen (can't remember his first but he was corner back last year I think). Passage also have Killian Fitzgerald and Mark Wyse who will have gained invaluable experience in the Waterford camp, and with all the Connors around too I think they'll edge it. Should be tight, last year they drew in the group stage if I remember correctly.

On Sunday, Roanmore travel to Dungarvan and despite Dungarvan's progress last year and young talent I'd give Roanmore a shout here. The favourites tag is new to Dungarvan and they'll be made work for it.

The second game in the double header sees Lismore take on Fourmilewater. Interesting again, the bookies have this and the Abbeyside/Passage game to be the closest. Maybe give Lismore a slight favour, but it could easily go either way.

The final game sees newly promoted An Rinn against Tallow. Another tight one. Rinn have had two big victories in the past week but playing opposition below themselves. Not ideal preparation, and therefore I'll go with Tallow to sneak it.

im not losing the run of myself at all, we should beat cork, they are not a great side and struggled to beat clare....we will have a better team out v tipp with games under our belt and id expect us to have a right cut off them. now if thats running away with myself, i wouldnt like to see conservative in

Clare didnt show up yesterday we are no way 17 points better than them and if we start beleiving we are we are only fooling ourselves. Cork are stronger this year than other years. and going down to parc ui caoimh to play them at any level is going to be the tough. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded

good man paddy, taking things out of context again, you must only pick bits out of my posts that you want to read. i never said we were a 17 point better team than clare, but we are a substantially better team than them. cork struggled to beat clare, i dont think cork have the quality that we have, waterford have had an extra game, positions and the team is starting to form and settle a bit, cork havnt had the opportunity of an additional game, i belive we have more talent, cork have the outstanding pa o callaghan in their inside line who'll need to be watched, but we have stephen bennett and young curran who are better hurlers than him. id be fully confident we can beat cork, i see no reason as to why not. why not be confident going into these games and expect to win them? you like to reference kilkenny when it suits you paddy, do kilkenny go into game hoping to win or expecting to win?
    now run along paddy, ive put manners on you here before, dont keep up an arguement with me that your going to lose.

Giveitfong wrote: »

In a post, ManFromCheese described Páirc Uí Chaoimh as a “big open field compared to Fraher Field”. I have seen posters here before describing Fraher Field as a tight pitch. If you look at the distance between the halfway line and the 65 metre lines you will appreciate that Fraher Field is very long (and significantly longer than Walsh Park). It is also very wide, and in my view as big as any hurling pitch in Ireland.

it was the expansiveness of pairc ui chaoimh rather than the dimensions i was referring too, cork will seem bigger and more open to the players than fraher field where the crowd from the stand is practically on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

good man paddy, taking things out of context again, you must only pick bits out of my posts that you want to read. i never said we were a 17 point better team than clare, but we are a substantially better team than them. cork struggled to beat clare, i dont think cork have the quality that we have, waterford have had an extra game, positions and the team is starting to form and settle a bit, cork havnt had the opportunity of an additional game, i belive we have more talent, cork have the outstanding pa o callaghan in their inside line who'll need to be watched, but we have stephen bennett and young curran who are better hurlers than him. id be fully confident we can beat cork, i see no reason as to why not. why not be confident going into these games and expect to win them? you like to reference kilkenny when it suits you paddy, do kilkenny go into game hoping to win or expecting to win?
    now run along paddy, ive put manners on you here before, dont keep up an argument with me that your going to lose.
    Is this an East verses West battle going on here. Don't forget Tipp have to play Limerick before they get to play in a Munster final. What kind of team have limerick this year. They have produced some very good minor sides in the last few years. I was told Sunday night that Clare were going to beat the sh*t out of us by somebody who should have known better, cant wait to meet that man now. I'd be very cagey of Cork but I would not travel without confidence.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Is this an East verses West battle going on here. Don't forget Tipp have to play Limerick before they get to play in a Munster final. What kind of team have limerick this year. They have produced some very good minor sides in the last few years. I was told Sunday night that Clare were going to beat the sh*t out of us by somebody who should have known better, cant wait to meet that man now. I'd be very cagey of Cork but I would not travel without confidence.

ah its not, paddy just likes to wade in when he shouldnt really.
    id expect limerick to have a good minor side but id expect tipp to have too much for them, tipp have some exceptional players, the mccarthy lad corner forward was meant to have been poor v waterford and he was outstanding last year so maybe theres more to come from the likes of him, they also have willie maher, a brother in law of eoin kelly, as their manager again this year, whos young, but experienced and knows his stuff, he actually captained tipp to minor all ireland in 1996. so to answer your question, id expect limerick to put it up to tipp but tipp should pull through.

it was the expansiveness of pairc ui chaoimh rather than the dimensions i was referring too, cork will seem bigger and more open to the players than fraher field where the crowd from the stand is practically on the field.

It'll probably be on in Pairc Ui Rinn, which would suit the Cork team as the pitch is rather narrow and our lads are a little short on pace.

TBH Cork's competitiveness depends greatly on the fitness of the dual players, almost all of whom have been injured over the past month to some degree or another. Dunno when our Minor footballers are out against Tipp but if it is before the Waterford game then that could hurt us a lot. There is 5 lads starting on both teams iirc, and more on the squad.

now run along paddy, ive put manners on you here before, dont keep up an arguement with me that your going to lose.

Posting a picture of a penis on top of some lads head can hardly be classified as putting manners on someone but anyway ill let you win the battle that seems to be going on in your head. To be fair you talk a bit more sence in the above post it was the previous post where u were talking about how we will beat tipp in the munster final that irked me somehow insinuating that cork will be brushed aside. Luckily for us however you are not in charge of this team and the management will keep our lads feet firmly on the ground

ManFromCheese makes some persuasive and knowledgeable points in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

I agree about the size of Fraher field, had an argument with a colleague from work from Tipp after we beat them there in the u-21.... He claimed it was a small tight pitch... It ain't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement