Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Celtic Trinity phenomenon at Glencar!

• 26-03-2013 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Thishttp://instagram.com/p/XVE4wSCUQE/ is an image taken today at viewing spot above Glencar lake! Check the Celtic knot/trinity in the wood on the far side of the lake! What is the story with this? Is it a natural phenomenon or is it the work of art of some really cool person whose hand I would like to shake. But another question is how was it done, the trees look the same from a distance, just different colour, It is almost like the ones in the trinity are dead! Really bugging me as to the origins of this awesome sight, I suggest you go and look at it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭blackiebest1

Sorry about the bold letters, I am technically challenged and have no idea how to format!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭shanec1928

it was planted like that at least 8+ years ago if not more.by coillte i believe.

Thanks for that, really looks amazing!

Just was told this is the work of one man, who lives in the frame of the shot, Jim McCabe, I applaud you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Just was told this is the work of one man, who lives in the frame of the shot, Jim McCabe, I applaud you!

His wife was on Ocean fm a couple of weeks ago explaining how it was done. Him and his sons did it over 20 years ago. Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just thought I'd post these sharper images of it.

6KJYYZ.jpg

8nLPu4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bingus666

Ladies & Gentlemen,

This is not the work of Coillte (there was no Coillte back then!) this is the work of myself, my two brothers & more importantly our father, Jim. (it was his idea back then)

Exact details: Celtic Trinity Knot tree design: planted mid '80s by the McCabe Family. They planted that whole hill known as ‘Tormór’ and planted the design in the centre (Celtic Trinity Knot) with Japanese Larch on Sitka Spruce.

The Glencar area is divided between Co. Sligo & Co. Leitrim, this design & surrounding forest property is in Co. Sligo. It was privately funded/planted for the enjoyment of all & the Celtic design appears best in autumn when the Japanese Larch change colour. See picture for full effect! Taken on lay-by across the lake on N16 Sligo to Manorhamilton road by myself.

As they say "thanks for looking!" :)

A.MacCabe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭magnumlady

bingus666 wrote: »
    Ladies & Gentlemen,

this is not the work of Coillte (there was no Coillte back then!) this is the work of myself, my two brothers & more importantly our father, Jim. (it was his idea)

Exact details: Celtic Trinity Knot tree design: planted mid '80s by the McCabe Family, also living on land. They planted that whole hill (known as ‘Tormór’) in the mid-eighties, and planted the design in the centre (Celtic Trinity Knot) with Japanese Larch on Sitka Spruce.

The Glencar area is divided between Co. Sligo & Co. Leitrim, this design & surrounding property is in Co. Sligo. It was privately funded/planted for the enjoyment of all & the Celtic design appears best in autumn when the Japanese Larch change colour.

As they say "thanks for looking!" :)

A.MacCabe

How lovely to have a history of it. Thank you. I've taken many photos of it and it's great to know the story behind it.

A, Thank you for the clarifications. I had suspected it was you guys! It is amazing and I suggest it is a very under appreciated piece of public art, for now! This will, in time, establish itself as a prime reason to visit Sligo, Well done, I totally respect your collective imaginations, efforts and investment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Was just passing it on Good Friday and stopped to take a pic. The amount of cars that had pulled up doing the same, it is spectacular to look at. Anytime I have visitors home I always love suprising them by driving by and seeing do they notice it. They always do! Well done to the Mc Cabe family as it took some planning and marking out to get perfect I'd say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement