Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's nothing wrong with doing week 1 again, in fact if you are coming from a very low fitness base it may benefit you to spread the Couch to 5k workouts over more than 9 weeks (particularly in the early stages). You're just trying to get into the habit of getting out 3 times a week and slowly building up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Chuckels

Thanks for that rainbow! I am one of the most unfit people I know, so I cannot compare myself to anyone else around me and it was spotting this thread that inspired me to give it a shot last week. Figured you guys might know what different people do!

I really want to give this a go, but considering how much I struggled through week 1, upping the jogging distance so soon seems quite daunting. Want to make sure I'm not just making excuses for myself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Chuckels wrote: »

Everyone in here seems to have some basic fitness level even when they were starting, that is definitely not where I am starting from!!

Not at all!!!!

I started C25K 4 stone overweight and barely able to walk upstairs because I was so heavy.

Believe me I know people often say "if I can do it anyone can" in a very casual way but in my case I mean it :D

I also repeated a few of the weeks as well, no harm in it if you feel you need the extra time. Better to do it in the time frame that works for you than push yourself too far. Once you are getting out every week you'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Chuckels

Thanks so much you guys! Feeling far more motivated now! Definitely going to do week 1 again.

You're definitely right, getting out the 3 times a week is the important first step, can only build from there.

Even yesterday I was just sitting in watching TV and feeling so lazy, but I didn't want the C25k to become another health kick that fell by the wayside... So I just got up and said, sure 25mins is only the length of a TV show, surely I don't want to be THAT lazy, that I can't give up 25mins! I think it's the timing of this exercise that makes it seem actually possible, even for someone like me!

I'm extra motivated now, thanks!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭calibelle

Hi all!!
    I've read nearly the entire thread-loads of good tips!!
    Started the c25k Christmas week (slightly insane idea in hindsight!) and had to do day 1 3 times because I couldn't manage the jogs! Finally moved onto day 2 and still can't do them all but will keep going! Would you suggest moving on to week 2 after w1d3 or keep doing week 1 until I can manage all the running bits? Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Well done Chuckels and Calibelle on getting started! I'll echo some of the comments made already, just repeat the weeks until you feel you can move on. I had no fitness base to speak of when I began, it took me two and a half weeks before I could move onto the 2nd week - overall it took me from July to October to finish the program (had to take some time off in the middle to recover from surgery), so just keep at it, you'll get there eventually, and you'll even start to enjoy it! And even if it feels like slow going, you're still making a positive change and getting out there more than you usually would.

I'm pretty pleased with the running at the moment, finally broke the 1 hour mark on my long run, and hopefully will be hitting that longed for 10k mark soon.

Just done a 3k, I don't know if any of the more experienced runners there can help me but I'm running into problems ( pardon the pun :P )

First I only went back to running having put on nearly a stone over Christmas and having not run in about a month so I expected it to be hard, I'm 4 runs in now and my stamina is coming back but my calves are killing me!!!

The pain doesn't last, once I stop running its more or less gone but its so bad I sometimes have to stop and walk. Have tried going at a slower pace but that doesn't seem to be making a difference.

I'm using new running shoes so not sure if that is a factor, I haven't really broken them in yet.

Try and stretch out your calves a bit, mine can get very tight from time to time if I don't keep an eye on things.

Try and stretch out your calves a bit, mine can get very tight from time to time if I don't keep an eye on things.

That could be it, I tend to rush through my stretches and I went out today without having done any at all - completely forgot :eek:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Did my first run in about two years yesterday, have had a nightmare with injuries and I haven't been playing football in that long. Joined a club in London so need to get fit for the new season. Doing it along the lines of C25K, doing a warm up, 5 min, 30 sec rest, 4 min, 30 sec rest, and so on. Did 1.56 miles yesterday and 1.91 miles tonight, happy out!

I never do any stretches before I do a run, always do them afterwards, but felt it this morning - have to walk up a hill to get to work, and would have died only for a colleague picking me up and dropping me to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Chuckels wrote: »
    Everyone in here seems to have some basic fitness level even when they were starting

I stared the C25K because one day in work I went up 2 flights of stairs and was out of breath :o, read the C25K here and decided to do it, no level of fitness to speak of, just able to put one foot in front of the other.
    calibelle wrote: »
    Started the c25k Christmas week (slightly insane idea in hindsight!) and had to do day 1 3 times because I couldn't manage the jogs! Finally moved onto day 2 and still can't do them all but will keep going! Would you suggest moving on to week 2 after w1d3 or keep doing week 1 until I can manage all the running bits? Thanks!!

I have reapeted days and weeks as well, I only moved on from day to day and week to week when I felt happy with the run, that for me is one of the good things about the program, its at your pace. It took me from mid July to the end of November before I was able to run 5K.
    Did my first run in about two years yesterday

Best of luck to you all with the C25K

Joined the fit4life and for the first time in my life I am in a class where I in the minority :eek: (less than 5 % males at training session now I know how C felt when she walked into our Technical Drawing class all thoes years ago :))

Another question....do you stretch before running and if so when? as in before warm up or afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

calibelle wrote: »
    Another question....do you stretch before running and if so when? as in before warm up or afterwards?
    I walk to warm up and stretch afterwards! Stretching is important IMO and IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I stretch before warm up and after cool down. I really feel it the next day if I don't.

I don't usually stretch before the run, but usually do afterwards. I tend to start very slowly (partially enforced on me by several road crossings in the first km of my run) and build from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

panda100 wrote: »
    Anyone else set any new running goals for 2013?
    Eh, start running again, for starters. Between holidays in November (although I ran on holidays), Year End in December and Christmas, my hiatus has been much longer than I'd like. I miss running :o

Real aims include getting back to hill training and, hopefully, two half marathons. I ran my first half marathon last year and would like to build on that.
    I may do the Limerick half actually, Panda, if dates suit :) I used Hal Higdon's training plan to build form 10k to half marathon last year and found it very doable.

Re:stretaching, in four years, I've never really had a running injury. I've been very lucky *touches wood* *knocks on head* I put it down to lots of stretching and yoga. Bending ftw :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

You should never do static stretching on cold muscles - pretty sure there is research to back it up. Even when I'm playing sports, I never do any static stretching during my warm up - more important to do it after you finish as you cool down. Thinking of taking up yoga, downloaded Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown

Thanks for all the replies, I do yoga a few days a week anyway, ill add stretching after the warm up walk and hopefully it'll keep me injury free too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Finally upped the anti and decided to do City to Surf Sydney. No stopping like the obstetrical racing which gives you a short break to recharge the legs. *gulp*

Have been trying to haul my ass out of bed at 5:30 to go for a run. Iv been consistently failing and climbing back into bed then running in the evening.

Will try setting the alarm to 6am and see if i can motivate myself.

garfield_i_hate_mornings.jpg

I'm going to be trying to go morning and evening in two weeks time once I get myself organised at work, and all the other stuff I have to do is over and done with!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

eviltwin wrote: »
    I have done nothing all December :o Just been eating and drinking like there is no tomorrow. I'll be back into the swing of things come Jan 1st - have to, I just signed up for the Rock and Roll half marathon in August :eek:

I'll see you there. :)

A moment of madness caused me to sign up - I haven't run in four years (and even back then didn't do much).

I'm about halfway through C25k now, and more determined than ever to complete the program and continue running. The thought of the entry fee going to waste is my motivation.

I'm also planning to take part in the Operation Transformation 5k next month, and the Great Ireland Run in April. I might do the Mini Marathon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Gosh, you're all putting me to shame with your racing plans. Might have to sign up for something myself...
    I ran my first ever 10K today, very pleased, though my feet are not too grateful at the moment. Have to think of a new goal for myself now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Gosh, you're all putting me to shame with your racing plans. Might have to sign up for something myself...
    I ran my first ever 10K today, very pleased, though my feet are not too grateful at the moment. Have to think of a new goal for myself now :)

Good job!

Your new goal should be to sign up for some races ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

10k is a great distance to be putting in. I think your ready to make a few race plans yourself.

Reality has kicked in for me. Morning running is just not happening for me.
    I hope to change that this week. Also Christmas took its toll and my distance has suffered, It really is all about consistency.
    • This week I managed 4 days out of the plan of running 5.
    • Gym sessions were 1 of the planned 3.
    • Distance was 4k instead of the planned 5-8k.....

Decided to revise goals. Instead of aiming for big bang ill aim for do better than last week....

I have the time to build up again so not a big deal and I'm soar everywhere which is a good indicator of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I've never posted here before - hello!
    I'm doing couch to 5K - Week 1 was last week, so starting Week 2 tonight.
    I stopped smoking a a year ago, on the 6th of Jan 2012, so I thought I should start doing something else self-improving the same day this year, hopefully with the same success.
    I am pretty unfit, and found last week hard going, so I'm a bit scared about tonight.
    I am posting here to help make sure I don't chicken out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I found it gets easier the second week but if you find that you are struggling you can always do a week again. Either way by sticking with it, you will be running 5km by Easter.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I found it gets easier the second week but if you find that you are struggling you can always do a week again. Either way by sticking with it, you will be running 5km by Easter.

Thanks, Lux23! Heading out now...

Just back from Week 2 Day 1.
    I found it *much* easier than Week 1. It actually felt like I was running, rather than hurling myself slowly down the road.
    I'm starting to think getting off the couch in the first place is the hardest part of Couch to 5k!
    So anybody thinking about it - go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

I started C25K on July 10th and finally finished today!

As you might guess from that timeframe, I was not very diligent about it. :P I didn't always fit in three runs a week, dealt with an injury or two along the way and took a complete break of three or four weeks, but I also repeated lots of sessions and did a good bit of off-programme running. But today I finally ticked off W9D3!

I also ran an extra five minutes to push over the 5k milestone for the first time, running 5.18k in exactly 35 minutes. :)

Really, though, finishing the C25K is kind of a formality at this point. The programme gave me the structure I needed to get going and I have no plans to stop. I've used the Active.com iPhone app for the C25K, which I loved, but I haven't found a 5K to 10K programme that suits me so I'm just going to keep going, lengthening my runs as I go. I'd love to be ready for the Women's Mini Marathon in June but it's taken me so long to get to 5K that I guess I'll wait and see. ;)

Onwards and upwards. Thanks everyone for running with me, this thread has been brilliant for motivation!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Started this a few days ago, hoping to get out again tomorrow to do the second day. Only problem I have is it means nicking my boyfriend's phone for the day because mine isn't a smart phone so can't listen to it on that, and I'd never be able to time myself.

My legs hurt so bad yesterday, but I didn't find the first day too bad, which is a good sign!

Advertisement