Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Business GMIT information anyone?

• 19-01-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi I have business in GMIT dow as my first level 7 on my CAO was just wondering anyone wgo has done the choice can they give me any information on it?

Like hours in first year? Is it a hard course etc?

Would also like to know whats GMIT like as a college as a whole?

Anyone else thinking of doing this course next year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I presume you mean the general Bachelor of Business? If so I can tell ya a few things.

Overall the hours are fairly normal for a course like this. You'll have 6 subjects and most of them will be 4 hours per week. You get to pick which language you do but the rest are mandatory.

First year so far is fairly OK. Accounting is a bit hard IMO but I missed a lot of lectures so best attend as much as you can. The only other hard subject is Irish Legal Systems which is all law and courts.

The great thing about the course is you have each subject broken up into Current Assessment and the Final Exam (Christmas and Summer) so you could have a near pass already before you sit the big test.

If you're committed you'll do fine but if you're a dosser you could be in trouble.

GMIT is fine as a college. It's not in a great location as its a bit out walk-wise.

I presume you mean the general Bachelor of Business? If so I can tell ya a few things.

Overall the hours are fairly normal for a course like this. You'll have 6 subjects and most of them will be 4 hours per week. You get to pick which language you do but the rest are mandatory.

First year so far is fairly OK. Accounting is a bit hard IMO but I missed a lot of lectures so best attend as much as you can. The only other hard subject is Irish Legal Systems which is all law and courts.

The great thing about the course is you have each subject broken up into Current Assessment and the Final Exam (Christmas and Summer) so you could have a near pass already before you sit the big test.

If you're committed you'll do fine but if you're a dosser you could be in trouble.

GMIT is fine as a college. It's not in a great location as its a bit out walk-wise.

Agreed with all said above.

Just with any course you do, if you work - you'll do fine.
    If you don't = You won't.

Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

I done this course last year and will give you MY opinion of it.

The hours arent great, to be honest its probably the same for all courses. You may have an easy day Monday a long day Tuesday and scattered for the rest of the week. You are in every day any time from 9-6 and usually until 12/1 on Friday.

The course is long. I personally found it very slow and needed a challenge so I changed to accounting (its what i wanted to major in anyway) there is about 150-200 people from all ages so you will meet new friends.

Learning to learn will melt your brain. The most tedious thing I have ever done. I felt undermined and treated like a kid in primary school. Law is interesting though. Also a tip: everyone will want to do spanish..DONT!!! it is very hard stick to what you know and you will succeed better in it in exams.

GMIT as a whole ... not a fantastic college, depends on your expectations. I found a lot of the people immature and try hard to have this "OMG look at me im such a ledge drunk " bla bla but then again thats not what im into.

All the best with your choice and college career! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

Is there much Maths involved in this course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Yep. There's a whole subject dedicated to it in the 2nd semester of 1st year but it isn't too bad. A lot more accountancy than maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Classy C

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    I done this course last year and will give you MY opinion of it.

The hours arent great, to be honest its probably the same for all courses. You may have an easy day Monday a long day Tuesday and scattered for the rest of the week. You are in every day any time from 9-6 and usually until 12/1 on Friday.

The course is long. I personally found it very slow and needed a challenge so I changed to accounting (its what i wanted to major in anyway) there is about 150-200 people from all ages so you will meet new friends.

Learning to learn will melt your brain. The most tedious thing I have ever done. I felt undermined and treated like a kid in primary school. Law is interesting though. Also a tip: everyone will want to do spanish..DONT!!! it is very hard stick to what you know and you will succeed better in it in exams.

GMIT as a whole ... not a fantastic college, depends on your expectations. I found a lot of the people immature and try hard to have this "OMG look at me im such a ledge drunk " bla bla but then again thats not what im into.

All the best with your choice and college career! :)

I've applyed for Accounting this year. Can you tell me how is this course? What kind of hours per week would u be doing? I'm hoping to keep on a part-time job with the course, do you think this would be possible? or is there too much work in the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

What do you want to know classy c, I'm a final year accounting student.

About 20 hours a week, 6 subjects per semester. it's ten times harder then business but once you do a hour of study every day answering a question or two, you will keep it all fresh in your head, you will find it easy and get on the finest.

There a good bit of college work but saying that most of it is just answering the same thing a million times with different bits and piece put into & taking out of the questions but if you can do once, you be able to do all them just a matter of keep it fresh in your head.

if you go into the course with the idea of "i'm in college lets go drinking, drinking, drinking, going out, going out", you will fail as you can't bull shi*e yourself though the course like you can in business.

you have no problem keeping on a part-time job once you put the effort into college.

Regards accounting itself, something we where never told when we started is that you will have to spend 3 years after you finish college sitting exams. 6 years in total, 3 with the GMIT course and 3 years with one of the four professional bodies. professional body are ACCA, CIMA, CPA, Chartered.

Any more question post them up here and I answer them the best I can. regardless if it about the course or accounting in general.

podgie. wrote: »
    What do you want to know classy c, I'm a final year accounting student.

About 20 hours a week, 6 subjects per semester. it's ten times harder then business but once you do a hour of study every day answering a question or two, you will keep it all fresh in your head, you will find it easy and get on the finest.

There a good bit of college work but saying that most of it is just answering the same thing a million times with different bits and piece put into & taking out of the questions but if you can do once, you be able to do all them just a matter of keep it fresh in your head.

if you go into the course with the idea of "i'm in college lets go drinking, drinking, drinking, going out, going out", you will fail as you can't bull shi*e yourself though the course like you can in business.

you have no problem keeping on a part-time job once you put the effort into college.

Regards accounting itself, something we where never told when we started is that you will have to spend 3 years after you finish college sitting exams. 6 years in total, 3 with the GMIT course and 3 years with one of the four professional bodies. professional body are ACCA, CIMA, CPA, Chartered.

Any more question post them up here and I answer them the best I can. regardless if it about the course or accounting in general.

You can't say whether its "ten times harder than business" since you don't know the business subjects, you aren't a business student, and of course.. each to their own abilities.

And also.. "you can't bull shi*e yourself though the course like you can in business" Have you some statistics to back up this statement? Or are you just talking out your.......

You can't say whether its "ten times harder than business" since you don't know the business subjects, you aren't a business student, and of course.. each to their own abilities.

And also.. "you can't bull shi*e yourself though the course like you can in business" Have you some statistics to back up this statement? Or are you just talking out your.......

I did two years of business before moving to accounting, I'm more then qualified to give my opinion on the statement and I bet Queenbee will also back me up on that statement. 12 people in my course also did business and they also think the same as me. Accounting students also do the business subjects as of their course, so yes I do know the subject as I have covered them. compare both course's if you wish

I take it your a business student.. :rolleyes:

You have your opinion and I have mine. we leave it at that.

podgie. wrote: »
    I did two years of business before moving to accounting, I'm make me more then qualified to give my opinion on the statement and I bet Queenbee will also back me me on that statement. 12 people in my course also did business and they also think the same. Accounting students also do the business subjects as of their course. compare both course's if you wish

I take it your a business student.. :rolleyes:

You have your opinion and I have mine. we leave it at that.

You don't need to be "qualified" to give an opinion Podgie.

And, No I am not a Business student, but your attitude annoyed me.

• Advertisement

You don't need to be "qualified" to give an opinion Podgie.

And, No I am not a Business student, but your attitude annoyed me.

Thanks for pointing this out to me Ava but snip would think different about being qualified to give opinion. you can discuss this with him if you wish in the college.

I don't have attitude, you just didn't agree with my statement, fair enough a person can't please everyone,

Were getting off topic here anyway so its best to finish this conversation, If you really want you can PM about it.

Advertisement