Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random recipe thread

• 20-02-2011 3:20pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I thought I'd start a thread for poster's that weren't in on time for the 2011 Cooking Club, there seems to be a few that have missed out.

Feel free to post your recipes here and we'll give as many of them a go as possible. Everyone else can also post up the opinions, pictures etc. same as on the weekly threads. It could be useful as the weekly recipe may not suit/appeal to everyone anyway.

If you do get called to stand-in the recipe can always be reposted as the weekly recipe. It might be worth staggering the submissions as you see fit but we'd like to see as many people involved as possible!

Please note that this is now the only random recipe thread. Please post all your spare recipes here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Good idea, Mr. M!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Would you be able to put a hyperlink to each recipe as its posted on the first post.
    I think it would be useful to navigate around if this thread gets popular and the recipes flood in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Would you be able to put a hyperlink to each recipe as its posted on the first post.
    I think it would be useful to navigate around if this thread gets popular and the recipes flood in.

Certainly. I really didn't think this through :-D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stir fried Savoy Cabbage with bacon and sesame seeds.

Roughly cut up your Savoy cabbage into strips.
    Cut your bacon (preferably streaky) into small strips (across the width of the bacon not the length)

Heat a wok, add oil, and fry the bacon to get rid of any moisture/water.

As it starts to crisp up, add the cabbage, and mix the bacon and cabbage together.

After the bacon browns, remove from heat, shake over sesame seeds, season and enjoy!

One of my favourite sides for getting more greens into my OH, he loves the crunchiness of the cabbage, the bacon adds loads of taste, and the sesame seeds are a great way to add to the nutritional value :)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Yields about 4 dozen 2' biscuits

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground cloves
    Pinch of salt
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup black treacle
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 large egg
    Sugar for rolling (I think it's a bit too sweet but if you want to roll your cookies in sugar, demerara would be your safest bet)

Method:

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl, combine together the brown sugar, treacle, vegetable oil, and egg until smooth.

Mix the flour mixture into the brown mixture, stirring until dough comes together. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 190c and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Scoop up bits of dough by the heaping teaspoonful and roll into balls between your palms.

Roll the balls in sugar and place on the baking sheets 2 inches apart.
    Bake for 9 to 10 minutes.

Leave on the baking sheet several minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

The original recipe calls for refrigeration of the dough. I refrigerated the dough for 20 minutes, but the first batch of cookies didn't have very prominent cracks.
    I refrained from putting the dough back into the fridge between batches and the cracks were lovely from there on out so I would recommend you do not refrigerate this dough in between batches as I usually do.

I understand not many Irish folk us the US cup measurements like I do, so I would recommend this website for weight conversions :)
    http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html

• Advertisement

Something this tasty shouldn't be so shamefully easy to make.
    This dessert could charm the pants off a nun and is easy on your wallet too.

A few ingredients used to make this dessert can be found at home, ie: sugar, eggs, cream, butter, digestives. Having these cupboard regulars will reduce the cost of the dish considerably, but don't panic if you're fresh out of everything. Making one of these pies will set you back about 10 euro's, but if you make two at the same time, you're looking at getting 2 pies for around 15 euro's which is pretty good if you're having a party and have a few mouths to feed :)

Price List:
    Farmlea Condensed Milk 397g 1.59
    Tesco Value Digestive Biscuits 400g 0.65
    Limes 400g 1.40
    Avonmore Unsalted Butter 1.58
    Tesco Free Range eggs 6 pack 1.79
    Tesco Fresh Cream 250ml 1.55
    Tesco Value Granulated Sugar 1 kg 0.85

Total: 9.41

Servings per pie: 8
    1.18 per serving

Yield: 1 9 inch pie.

Base
    125 grams digestive biscuits
    2 tablespoons (30 grams) granulated sugar
    70-85 grams unsalted butter, melted.

Filling:

4 large egg yolks
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    120ml lime juice
    2 teaspoons grated lime zest

Topping:
    240 ml heavy whipping cream
    2 tablespoons granulated white sugar

Base:
    Crush the digestives and mix them with sugar and melted butter.
    Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a buttered 9 inch (23 cm) pie or tart pan.
    Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge to chill while you make the filling.

Filling:In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks until pale and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
    Gradually add the condensed milk and beat until you have a light and fluffy mixture (3-5 minutes).
    Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in the lime juice and zest.
    Pour the filling into the crust and bake for about 10 -15 minutes, or until the filling is set.
    Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
    Once it has completely cooled, cover and refrigerator until serving time.
    (The pie can be made to this point and stored in the fridge for a couple of days.)

Just before serving make the whipped cream.

In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Either pipe or place mounds of whipping cream on top of the filling.

Enjoy! smile.gif

I had loads of oranges that needed using and a bit of chocolate in the press so decided I'd make some cookies! I'm a mega fan of Terry's Chocolate orange, so this was perfect!

Ingredients:
    • 3/4 cups unsalted butter
    • 1 cup light brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup of white sugar
    • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    • 1 egg
    • 1 egg yolk
    • 3 whole oranges (zest only)
    • 2 cups flour
    • 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
    • 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped (I used chocolate with 60% cocoa solids)
    Method:

• Cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar.
    • Add the vanilla extract, egg and egg yolk and orange zest to the creamed butter and sugar.
    • Sieve the flour, salt and baking soda together and add the dry mixture to the butter and sugar.
    • When all the ingerdients are combined, fold in the chocolate chips.
    • Chill the dough for 30 minutes in the fridge.
    • As the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 180c.
    • On a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, put tablespoon-sized amounts of dough 2 1/2 inches apart.
    • Bake for about 9 minutes or until golden brown.
    • Allow to cool on a baking rack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

This was an absolutely beautiful starter we did recently, and have since used it as a supper dish for two greedy people!!! Incredible flavour for such a simple dish.

Serves 4 as starter, 2 as main

Large handful of fresh coriander, washed and chopped
    1 thumb-sized knob peeled fresh ginger
    1 chopped clove garlic
    1 small green chili, roughly chopped
    pinch salt
    pinch sugar
    Olive oil
    squeeze of lemon
    16 prepared scallops
    shells if you want)

Preheat oven to 190 degrees.

Place coriander, ginger, garlic and chili in a blender and blend to a fine paste, adding water. Original recipe called for 3/4 tablespoons, but I found I needed 7 r thereabouts to loosen the paste.
    Scoop into a bowl and season with the salt, sugar and lemon juice. Place the scallops in the bowl and coat all over.

Brush a baking tray with the olive oil (or the shells), and arrange the scallops on the tray (or in the shells). Spoon over any leftover pesto, and drizzle with oil. Bake in oven for 7 mins, serve at once.

Dont forget some nice crusty bread to wipe the plate, believe me, you'll be licking it!!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lornen wrote: »

This was absolutely delicious. I've never seen a cake disappear so fast. So... no photos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 muffino

Lornen wrote: »

A few ingredients used to make this dessert can be found at home, ie: sugar, eggs, cream, butter, digestives. Having these cupboard regulars will reduce the cost of the dish considerably, but don't panic if you're fresh out of everything. Making one of these pies will set you back about 10 euro's, but if you make two at the same time, you're looking at getting 2 pies for around 15 euro's which is pretty good if you're having a party and have a few mouths to feed :)

Price List:
    Farmlea Condensed Milk 397g 1.59
    Tesco Value Digestive Biscuits 400g 0.65
    Limes 400g 1.40
    Avonmore Unsalted Butter 1.58
    Tesco Free Range eggs 6 pack 1.79
    Tesco Fresh Cream 250ml 1.55
    Tesco Value Granulated Sugar 1 kg 0.85

Total: 9.41

Servings per pie: 8
    1.18 per serving

Yield: 1 9 inch pie.

Base
    125 grams digestive biscuits
    2 tablespoons (30 grams) granulated sugar
    70-85 grams unsalted butter, melted.

Filling:

4 large egg yolks
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    120ml lime juice
    2 teaspoons grated lime zest

Topping:
    240 ml heavy whipping cream
    2 tablespoons granulated white sugar

Base:
    Crush the digestives and mix them with sugar and melted butter.
    Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a buttered 9 inch (23 cm) pie or tart pan.
    Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge to chill while you make the filling.

Filling:In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks until pale and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
    Gradually add the condensed milk and beat until you have a light and fluffy mixture (3-5 minutes).
    Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in the lime juice and zest.
    Pour the filling into the crust and bake for about 10 -15 minutes, or until the filling is set.
    Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
    Once it has completely cooled, cover and refrigerator until serving time.
    (The pie can be made to this point and stored in the fridge for a couple of days.)

Just before serving make the whipped cream.

In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Either pipe or place mounds of whipping cream on top of the filling.

Enjoy! smile.gif
    Will definitely be trying this the weekend, Key Lime pie is something i've been looking to try out with a good while, your recipe looks fab! Love cooking, am a newbie to boards.ie but i already know i will be an addict! :-)

• Advertisement

muffino wrote: »
    Will definitely be trying this the weekend, Key Lime pie is something i've been looking to try out with a good while, your recipe looks fab! Love cooking, am a newbie to boards.ie but i already know i will be an addict! :-)

Welcome to Boards! You'll be spoilt for choice with all the amazing recipes everyone posts. I hope you enjoy my Key Lime Pie recipe, it took quite a bit of searching for the right one and I hope you won't be disappointed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 muffino

was in Tesco this evening and bought the condensed milk and digestives, this may need to happen sooner that the weekend! i cant wait! :-)

These are also called Canarian potatoes or wrinkly potatoes.

They are small waxy potatoes cooked in extremely salty water and served with mojo sauce.

Potatoes

Bring your water to the boil and add the salt, one part salt to four parts water, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Pierce one of them to check for doneness.

When done, spill off the water and return the pot to the hob. This will cause the remaining water to evaaporate and the salt will crystallize on the potato skins.

Sauce

Make the sauce while the potatoes are cooking.

Put the following in a small pot:

30ml of vinegar
    60 ml of olive oil
    some garlic
    a chopped red pepper
    two sundried tomatoes
    some smoked paprika

Allow to simmer for a couple of minutes and then blend with a hand blender. You should end up with a nice, thick sauce, but do add a little more oil if too thick.

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=9404

I made these to go with paella.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

These are also called Canarian potatoes or wrinkly potatoes.

They are small waxy potatoes cooked in extremely salty water and served with mojo sauce.
    Made these last night to go with Mimojo's Paella and they were beautiful. The OH nearly had a heart attack when she seen how much salt I was using! :D But they really weren't as salty as you'd imagine they would be. And the sauce really balances the saltiness really well.

dsc0052h.jpg

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Made these last night to go with Mimojo's Paella and they were beautiful. The OH nearly had a heart attack when she seen how much salt I was using! :D But they really weren't as salty as you'd imagine they would be. And the sauce really balances the saltiness really well.

hehe

Yeah, they turn out nowhere near as salty as you would think. Glad you liked them! And lovely photos as usual, dimplesmile! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And lovely photos as usual, dimplesmile! :pac:
    Nah, me this time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

i have this really quick and easy recipe that i learned on Erasmus i made it again today but i forgot to take pictures it has no name so i shall call it French Chicken......i tweaked the recipe slightly as the recipe is better without the other stuff and also im uneasy with cooking with chicken

What you need:
    4 chicken fillets or 8 boneless thighs
    8 streaky rashers chopped or 2 packs of bacon bits
    300 mls of hot chicken stock
    2 chopped scallions/spring onions
    1 thinly sliced garlic clove
    2/3 table spoons of creme fraiche

shallow fry the bacon in a pan until golden then remove and leave to rest on kitchen paper
    add the chicken cook until done
    when the chicken is nearly done add the scallions and garlic for 30 seconds
    add the bacon
    then add the chicken stock
    leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes or longer if preferred

when done stir in the creme fraiche and serve on a bed of rice

enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

hey Lornen thanks so much for your recipe and the handy conversion site :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Little Alex, can i ask you what type of potatoes would buy you buy in an Irish supermarket for this lovely recipe?

hey Lornen thanks so much for your recipe and the handy conversion site :-)

No worries at all looperman, hope you enjoyed what ever recipe it was you chose on! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Little Alex, can i ask you what type of potatoes would buy you buy in an Irish supermarket for this lovely recipe?

Looks like baby potatoes

I actually brought back some potatoes from a supermarket in the Canary Islands. :pac: They are rounder than the ones you get here, which tend to be oblong.

Any waxy baby/salad/new potatoes will do, however.

---

Just checked the bag there: the variety of the potatoes I have is Picasso.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I made Choc Chip Cookies.... here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056276676

175g Plain flour
    1tsp Baking powder
    125g Margarine (melted)
    85g brown sugar (muscovado)
    55g Caster Sugar
    .5 tsp of Vanilla Extract
    1 egg
    125g of choc chip.

Grease two baking trays. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5

Place everything else into a bowl and mix really well. Put chips in last so they dont melt in the hot marg!

Put a tablespoons of the mix on the tray FAR from each other (they really expand) and bake for 10-12 minutes.

Simples!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

For the easiest starter in the world:

Put a block or two (depending on the amount of people eating it) of goats cheese in a dish.
    Add some chopped scallions. I use 2 or 3 for a medium piece of cheese.
    Add as much chopped garlic as you like. I use a lot because I love it!
    Pour some olive oil and balsamic vinegar over it all.
    Serve with crackers.

The amounts in this aren't specific. Use whatever you feel for all the ingredients. Just make sure you get good crackers and scoop up everything onto one.
    This can be kept in the fridge for a few days. Leave out for 15mins before serving so cheese can soften.

Take a courgette and slice it with a mandolin. I thnk you can only really do this with a mandolin, but if you're really proficient with a knife then by all means... bitte schön!

Anyway, you will end up with crisp-thin slices of courgette. Put the slices into a bowl and sprinkle with salt and mix. The salt will draw out some of the water from the slices, so that they crisp easier. Leave them for about 30 minutes.

Towards the end of the 30 minutes heat up a pot of oil, about 1" deep of oil. Rinse the courgette slices and pat them dry with a tea towel. The oil needs to get to "operating temperature": when a slice immediately starts to fizz when it's dropped in.

Break an egg and put the white of it into a bowl. Whisk the egg white for about a minute until it is frothy. Toss the courgette slices in the egg white and then transfer then to another bowl.

Sprinkle some flour into the bowl and mix. Depending on the size of your pot, drop an appropriate amount of slices into the oil. Just make sure that they're not crowded.

When they're golden take them out and allow to drain.

Eat them straight away while they're still crispy!

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=9636

Had these last night and was very happy with how they turned out! I made olaola flatbreads to go with them.

Ingredients:

Tin of chickpeas
    Chorizo
    Sundried tomatoes
    Two cloves of garlic
    Half a red onion
    Smoked paprika
    Salt

Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
    Mince the garlic.
    Chop the chorizo, sundried tomatoes and onion to about the same same as the chickpeas.

Pour some oil into a wide pot over gentle heat and let the onions soften. Then add the garlic, chorizo and sundried tomatoes. When the chorizo is cooked add the chickpeas and leave for a couple more minutes. When done add some smoked paprika for good measure and salt to taste.

LIDL sell a very nice jar of sundried tomatoes in oil. As opposed to the dry ones they do not need to be softened up beforehand and I also used the oil from the jar to fry with.

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=9666

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

You wont believe how gorgeous this is!!
    We have had it at least once a week for the last few weeks..

Ingredients

1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
    3 tablespoons dried basil
    1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
    1 teaspoon ground white pepper

Directions

Blend everything on high speed for 30 seconds until thoroughly mixed.
    Pour marinade over steaks. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
    Remove marinaded steaks from fridge.
    Ensure steaks are at room temperature before placing on a dry hot griddle.
    Sear steaks on both sides.
    Cook to taste.
    Heat remaining marinade for use as chip dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Easy & impressive Feta Meatballs in Tomato Sauce

Meatballs;

Mince beef, egg, 3 crushed cream crackers, mixed herbs, minced garlic chillies & onions, drop of oil and basil all mashed up in a bowl, dig the hands in until its all sticking into 1 ball
    Cut a block of feta cheese into small cubes, roll meatballs with a cube of feta in each.
    Philidelphia will work well to, but its alot harder to get into centre of ball neatly!
    Cook in oven for about 20 mins, depending on size of ball.

In a large pot, heat 2 tins of tomatos, half a tube of tomato puree, sprinkle of sugar & half a glass of red wine sprinkle of salt & pepper.
    After that, add what you want, Mushrooms, onions, garlic, chillie, basil, peppers etc, The sauce is a beautiful base, so add whatever you like!!

Take meatballs out of oven, & seve on bed of pasta with a generous scoop of sauce poured over.

Really easy & very impressive looking & tasting meal.

I'm making Currywurst tomorrow and I think I have a pretty good recipe but I was wondering if there is anyone here familiar with Berlin or the Ruhrgebiet who has any pointers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm making Currywurst tomorrow and I think I have a pretty good recipe but I was wondering if there is anyone here familiar with Berlin or the Ruhrgebiet who has any pointers?

please post the recipe. :)

Advertisement