Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discount without direct debit

• 04-04-2011 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm an existing ESB customer and have stayed with them because I don't like Airtricity or Bord Gais!
    Now that discounts are happening with ESB, is there a price plan/discount that a customer can get without having to go DD?

I never liked DD's and I work to a budget which is very tight - all bills are paid on time through part payments online and in payzones preceding bill issues so are there any discounts for those of us who really, really don't want to pay by DD?
    And how do I go about getting it as the website is pushing DD's only by the looks of it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

According to there T&C's
    ** Discount off your total Electric Ireland standard unit prices. Terms of this offer: Please note that if you fail to pay by Direct Debit you will be moved to our standard price plan. If you choose online billing, but do not register within 30 days, you will lose the online billing discount.

So it looks like no. It says the above on all there plans for both gas and electricity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

cookie1977 wrote: »
    According to there T&C's

So it looks like no. It says the above on all there plans for both gas and electricity

Yeah, the website is all about DD's and online billing but I'm hoping a rep will come along and tell me they aren't going to neglect their longtime non-DD non-arrears customers!;)

PS Just caught a bit on the radio and I think a standard 8% discount will happen for customers who don't go in for DD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi gambiaman,
    gambiaman wrote:
    Now that discounts are happening with ESB, is there a price plan/discount that a customer can get without having to go DD?

There is indeed.

Customers that have been with us longer than 12 months who do not wish to sign up to direct debit can nonetheless avail of a 8% discount on the standard unit rate. You can also save an additional 2% on your overall usage (total units used) if you sign up to online billing.
    gambiaman wrote:
    ...I'm hoping a rep will come along and tell me they aren't going to neglect their longtime non-DD non-arrears customers!wink.gif

If you PM your account details I will ensure you aren't neglected! :)

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭John mac

So if i do nothing (currently esb paying via online) how much will i pay for electricity?

currently 16c per unit.

what will the cost of unit be ..

Thanks
    JOhn.

Hi John mac,

Your best bet is to either change your price plan online here, or to ring our Sales team on 1850 30 50 90.

That way you can ensure the discount is applied.

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

will people on the payment meters (token meters) who are NOT in arrears be able to avail of these new priceplans by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭John mac

Didn't expect a straight answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

if you do nothing the unit cost doesnt change, you have to ring and pick a new price plan

hdowney wrote:
    will people on the payment meters (token meters) who are NOT in arrears be able to avail of these new priceplans by any chance?

Hi hdowney,

You would first of all need to arrange to have the token meter removed.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Hi gambiaman,

There is indeed.

Customers that have been with us longer than 12 months who do not wish to sign up to direct debit can nonetheless avail of a 8% discount on the standard unit rate. You can also save an additional 2% on your overall usage (total units used) if you sign up to online billing.

If you PM your account details I will ensure you aren't neglected! :)

Thanks,

David.

@Electric Ireland: David. I am interested in obtaining a new tarriff (if it works out cheaper). However, I'm not interested in signing up to DD, but I haven't been with ESB continuously for the last 12 months. (I was a ESB customer a while back, so in aggregate, I would have been a customer for more than 12 months. My account is not in arrears, in fact it is signifigcantly in credit.

Is there anything you can do for me? :)

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Hi hdowney,

You would first of all need to arrange to have the token meter removed.

Thanks,

David.

ah and there in lies the rub. i am quite happy with my meter.

i don't like direct debits - don't like too many people being out there with my bank ac details and whatnot.
    i don't like the idea of having to remember to use payzone or whatever to pay my bill by a certain date.
    the meter helps me manage my money etc quite nicely and i don't want to get it removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

hdowney wrote: »
    ah and there in lies the rub. i am quite happy with my meter.

i don't like direct debits - don't like too many people being out there with my bank ac details and whatnot.
    i don't like the idea of having to remember to use payzone or whatever to pay my bill by a certain date.
    the meter helps me manage my money etc quite nicely and i don't want to get it removed.

Then that's your choice. DDs have been perfect for me for 30 years but if someone wants to pay more for the convenience of a pay as you go option then so be it. You can't have it every way. Pre paids cost ESB to operate and monitor while DDs save them with admin costs.

@Electric Ireland: David. I am interested in obtaining a new tarriff (if it works out cheaper). However, I'm not interested in signing up to DD, but I haven't been with ESB continuously for the last 12 months. (I was a ESB customer a while back, so in aggregate, I would have been a customer for more than 12 months. My account is not in arrears, in fact it is signifigcantly in credit.

Is there anything you can do for me? :)

thanks

Hi DoesNotCompute,

For returning customers, to benefit from the range of discounts on offer, you really would need to sign up to direct debit.

I understand that for some it seems an unpalatable option. However, if you were to budget for your bill in advance (i.e. prepay), either using an easypay card (which can be sent out to you free of charge), or via a Standing Order, the direct debit should have very little overall impact (other than ensuring you're eligible for the discounts).

It would be a shame for customers to miss out on the available priceplans if such an option would actually suit them.

I hope this helps you, and others out there of a similar mindset.

Regards,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Are these price plans likely to be in place for the next 6 months? If so, I might wait it out, and sign up after my first 12 months of being with ESB.

Are these price plans likely to be in place for the next 6 months?

The straightest answer I can give you is that due to the shifting nature of the de-regulated market, the price plans currently advertised may not be available in six months time. However, we would hope to offer you a plan just as, if not more, competitive by that time.

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jeda

Hi,
    I was wondering if I could get some help with this too, I'm not in a position to pay by direct debit either but already have online billing and am hoping I'd be eligible for some discount on my bills. My main question is that ye helped me get a name change on my bill last year into my name after years of having it in my deceased fathers name but as that was under 12 months ago does it mean I wouldn't qualify for a discount even though I've been a customer for much longer than the 12 month cut off? Any info would be great....

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭muppet_man

@ OP and others not wanting DD but looking for DD discount

Have a look at my query from post 3 onwards: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056230038

"Set up" DD and per-pay your bill using card thingy at post offices etc. May not suit everyone or when you have exceptionaly high bills but technicaly it works. Just submit meter readings regurlarly (sp!) so you'll only pay for what your using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Jeda wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering if I could get some help with this too, I'm not in a position to pay by direct debit either but already have online billing and am hoping I'd be eligible for some discount on my bills. My main question is that ye helped me get a name change on my bill last year into my name after years of having it in my deceased fathers name but as that was under 12 months ago does it mean I wouldn't qualify for a discount even though I've been a customer for much longer than the 12 month cut off? Any info would be great....
    Hi Jeda :)

Because of the account-specific nature of your query, I would recommend you give our Sales team a call on 1850 30 50 90 as they will have access to your account history.

You can also go onto our website and request a callback.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement