Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Panasonic TG4/TV3 Sound?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Could someone post a draft letter to panasonic with necessary tech info that we could email to them about our tvs. I don't mind writing letters but feel someone here might have a comprehensive understanding as to what to write that they won't think the consumer is ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭championc

TheDriver wrote: »
    Could someone post a draft letter to panasonic with necessary tech info that we could email to them about our tvs. I don't mind writing letters but feel someone here might have a comprehensive understanding as to what to write that they won't think the consumer is ignorant.

I think you're wasting your time - see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68871280&postcount=12

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Hi all,

I have a UK model P50g20B - with the default country of the UK (london) set and installed the latest firmware last week.

I csn confirm that I have NO issues with saorview

I csn receive all the TV stations with perfect sound -- picture is good despite the warning: bad signal on the epg ( I sm usinh a set of 'rabbit ears' for the aerial)

I initially scanned the channels in on friday using the auto tuning method and re-scanned them this morning with no problems.

Freesat also works perfectly on the set too.

The TV was bought in this summer and is this years model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

championc wrote: »

His response is in relation to the B UK model with dvb-t tuners.

The dates quoted by Mr Panasonic customer are also incorrect Mpeg4 came on in August 2008 not 2009. Also Panasonic are members of the CEDA group and very well up to speed as a result of being part no that group who have plenty of communication with RTE Comreg and DCENR.

Panasonic have still to be tackled in relation to their 2010 released D25L range which are directed at Ireland. This letter is in itself very useful as they are acknowledging that Ireland has a different spec and also that they were aware of the service in 2009. But they still released a product in 2010 without MHEG5.

As superleesdub has said the G20B models do not have service type problems. This is because they have dvb-t2 tuners and the full service types were defined because they had to be for Freeview HD!

Now lets get the L series for Ireland sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

STB wrote: »
    Now lets get the L series for Ireland sorted.

Maybe start a thread in the HE forums specifically about getting Panasonic firmware in various recent models fixed?

I guess the main issues are:
    1) Sets with MPEG4 tuner that can't scan the channels (are there irish specific models with this problem?)
    2) Lack of 7day guide
    3) Lack of MHEG5

Let owners know what the issues are and let them air their views.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I have a UK model P50g20B - with the default country of the UK (london) set and installed the latest firmware last week.

I csn confirm that I have NO issues with saorview

I csn receive all the TV stations with perfect sound -- picture is good despite the warning: bad signal on the epg ( I sm usinh a set of 'rabbit ears' for the aerial)

I initially scanned the channels in on friday using the auto tuning method and re-scanned them this morning with no problems.

Freesat also works perfectly on the set too.

The TV was bought in this summer and is this years model.

I got my TX-L37G20B this afternoon. I've got all my Saorview Channels, Radio Stations and all the Freesat stations so everything is as I hoped. It's got the 7 day EPG too. And no sound issues as expected too. All channels perfect.

And as for MHEG-5, no more old fashioned Teletext !!

C

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I got my TX-L37G20B this afternoon

This has only gone on for about 4 months or is that 6 ?

1. Where ?
    2. What country did you tell it you were in during setup. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 curach

My new Samsung was working fine, until today. Suddenly the default sound changed from "English" to "2.a.d.premix" on all except the rolling news and test channel. Anyone know if something was changed today?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 curach

And more interesting - a software update has fixed the problem. Version 00202 to 00303.

(I know, Samsung info should probably not be in a Pana thread..)

1. I'm in Dublin
    2. I told it I was in London SW1 1AA in order for it to pickup BBC HD, BBC1 HD and ITV1 HD.

Very impressed with every part of this set to be honest and feel I've future proofed myself in as far as possible. On the Ethernet side, you can setup a Proxy address for running iPlayer so all I need is to find a UK one to test it (feel free to PM me if you know one that works). Looks like you can add an ip or nomain name but doesn't look like you could add any logon creditentials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

Hi guys,

I just done a re-scan on my panasonic to see if I could fix the sound issue on TV3 and TG4 and now I have lost all the TV channels and all i can get are the radio channels. I should have looked at this thread before hand :(
    Does anyone know how to slove this problem?

cillo2000 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I just done a re-scan on my panasonic to see if I could fix the sound issue on TV3 and TG4 and now I have lost all the TV channels and all i can get are the radio channels. I should have looked at this thread before hand :(
    Does anyone know how to slove this problem?

In order to determine that someone has a backup for your TV, you need to know.

1. What model and TV size is the Panasonic.

2. Where in the Country you are.

Hopefully someone will have that model and that areas channel list backed up.

Its a TX-L37G10B and I'm in Ireland. I rescanned a few times in the past and it was fine, but now all I can get are the Radio channels. Do you think this is a problem with the TV or have RTENL changed something with their transmission?

If anyone have a backup please leet me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Its a TX-L37G10B and I'm in Ireland. I rescanned a few times in the past and it was fine, but now all I can get are the Radio channels. Do you think this is a problem with the TV or have RTENL changed something with their transmission?

If anyone have a backup please leet me know.

We'd need to know where in Ireland you are to know what transmitter you're getting your signal from (the codes are different for each transmitter).

I'm in Kerry and I think we get our signal from Mullaghanish. WHL posted his back-up and he's in cork in the following thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056081158&page=4

I tried doing a restore with this but I get an error when I enter the code 4850 saying it can't write to the SD card, but shouldn't it be reading for it? The card isn't locked or anything.

I'm in Kerry and I think we get our signal from Mullaghanish. WHL posted his back-up and he's in cork in the following thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056081158&page=4

I tried doing a restore with this but I get an error when I enter the code 4850 saying it can't write to the SD card, but shouldn't it be reading for it? The card isn't locked or anything.

You should be entering the code 4851 when copying from the card to the TV (4850 is for when you're backing up from the TV the card in the first place).

Thanks Charles, I missed that one. I just done the restore and all the channels are list but "no signal" is displayed so I guess I'm not on picking up the same signal as WHL. - Does anyone have a backup of their L37G10B TV in the kerry area?

I don't have the backup for that (just Three Rock for the tx-32lzd81). I wonder if it would be worthwhile having a separate thread for the codes, maybe even a sticky..)

Hi Charles, could you please post your backup in the off chance it might work for me? Is there any software we can use to edit these files so we could configure the settings to work off any transmitter once we know the transmitters information/details?

It might be worth creating a seprate thread for this alright as I'd imagine this is going to become a more comman problem in the next few months.

You might be better trying to get a copy of the files from a G20B owner since that's probably going to be the next nearest neighbour to the G10B. Someone mentioned recently that G20B's are on sale in Curry's in Limerick so you might strike lucky

• Advertisement

You might be better trying to get a copy of the files from a G20B owner since that's probably going to be the next nearest neighbour to the G10B. Someone mentioned recently that G20B's are on sale in Curry's in Limerick so you might strike lucky

No No No. Jeez. Dont do it. Its not just a channel list! You will kill your TV. You flash this TV wrong and thats it, big brick. Be warned.

ONLY flash with the same model and same SIZE size model. It is not a common channel list you are flashing. You are overwriting information other than the channel list on your TV including serial number. Panasonic not seeing Irish channels again.

I suggest that people open a thread for one of each affected series.

First series
    The first series is the LZD81's which are the LCDs. They were released in the 32 and 37inch size. So the models are 32LZD81B and 37LZD81B.

The plasma of this first series is the PZ81's. They are TH-42PZ81B and TH-47PZ81B.

Second series

The G10s, V10s and G15s are also affected. Only the B range.

The L range in any of these series is not affected AT all. It is only the combo Freesat HD Tvs with a DVB-T tuner.

Final word of advice. DO NOT flash with the SD card unless it is for your area (the same transmitter is the only reason you should be doing this - as it contains the DVB-T frequency for your area).

As an aside I would like to say that there is an existing year old repository (on this forum here) and here and here from the first time this problem cropped up, so any channels that existed back then will give those channels again and infact will also give you some of the new channels if a Test channel existed previously once the Audio and Video PIDs are the same. You will not receive 3e ever unless RTE switch it off for one day and clever people "get it tuned" in a small window of opportunity.

We really need someone good with HEX to interpret one hotel file. Perhaps someone over at the Computer tech side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

The hotel files are crypted. A hexeditor doesn't help much.
    The G10B and G15B series could be hacked and converted to GW10 or GW15 for central europe. The GW10/GW15 series are able to handle mpeg4 channels via the function add HD channels in the DVB-T tuner menu. The problem is one wrong move in the eeprom editor for the hack will brick the TV.

Yes I read that the G10s have a built in hex editor that allows you to change it from a G10B to the European model which also allows among other things Gamma control.

panasonic-with-built-in-hex-editor.jpg?w=470&h=275

Unfortunately the site giving instructions has disappeared. But the discussion on it remains here > For people who like living on the edge only!.

Obviously the idea is that you would lose the freesat menu and it becomes a dvb-s2 and dvb-t combo. But it would mean that you have a working dvb-t tuner........but you can change it back.

I note the original owner of the .uk site seem to be in the comments.... (infact heres the guide on how to edit the eeprom from the built in hex editor)

PLEASE IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING DOING THIS YOU SHOULD NOTE, ONE MISTAKE and YOU COULD BRICK YOUR G10 (G15s also with another tweak from what I read in the first link). At your own risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

The idea should be to convert to a GW10 for a G10B or a GW15 for a G15B, use the add HD channel option in the DVB-T tuner menu and convert back. The channel list should survive.

Hex editing is not for the fainthearted, everything must be done carefully.

The only value that changes, essentially, is the Channel number of the Mux.

If a person backs up up a working Panny tuned to Maghera then the EPG would be displayed against channel 48. Restoring that file to the same model in the Maghera area would work. Restoring in a different area would not, there is nothing on Channel 48 meaning you get right channel list/wrong channel.

Changing that one value to Channel 45 should make the file Mt Leinster ready.

As the hotel file may have a checksum after backup I would be inclined to make those changes on a working Panny and back the entire file up as a dump, then change back to the correct values to get it working again.

maxg wrote: »
    The idea should be to convert to a GW10 for a G10B or a GW15 for a G15B, use the add HD channel option in the DVB-T tuner menu and convert back. The channel list should survive.

Always thinking one step further gmax I see.

Unfortunately after each hex edit change you have to restore to factory settings (in order to reinitialise the dvb-s2 tuner) doing that woul also lose the channels added during you initial change when it was in european model mode. So making the changes saving the channel list and attempting to go back to the freesat menu version wont work imo. You are accesing the memory afterall.

Even if you back up the channel list having made the initial hex change in a hotel file and reloading it when changing back to feresat/no dvb-t mode loading that hotel file will just replicate what you have done ie change the eeprom again to a dvb-s2 and dvb-t combo (no freesat software).

Many people will be able to live with this though to get the extra 5 Irish stations. Just edit that one line.

@Sponge Bob: The Hex editor is built in to the Panasonic G10's the instructions are above. You are changing specific values that the hacker has identified that changes it from the UK model to a European model, thus enabling the dvb-t tuner to pick up RTE's etc but disabling the Freesat firmware but still having a working dvb-s2 sat tuner.

Hi STB,

I have found a back-up for a TX-L32G10L for Mullaghanish which is my transmitter, because it's a different size screen you would not recommend I restore the TX-L32G10L back-up to my TX-L37G10B?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

. You will not receive 3e ever unless RTE switch it off for one day and clever people "get it tuned" in a small window of opportunity.

Good post STB ..

But just one clarification ..

I can receive 3E fine, as it has appeared where I had previously tuned in one of the RTE NL test channels, so I presume most areas will be the same ..

I think I will have a problem when RTE 2 HD starts transmitting, as it will be in a new position ..

I have 2 Panasonics that are affected by this issue in Dublin, if anyone needs the files for the 37 LZD81 or the 50 V10 off 3-Rock ..

Rgds,

Bob

bob11 wrote: »
    Good post STB ..

But just one clarification ..

I can receive 3E fine, as it has appeared where I had previously tuned in one of the RTE NL test channels, so I presume most areas will be the same ..

I think I will have a problem when RTE 2 HD starts transmitting, as it will be in a new position ..
    Bob

Hi Bob - I was aware that the TV3 channel replaced one of the test channels. But not the 3e channel. Its the existence of previously used Audio and Video PIDs for the test channel being the same I gather that will allow this happen (the station name may have changed and obviously has a feed on it now). I dont know how LCN interacts with all this. I would imagine if you have the bouquet saved with the RTE HD test channel, that will be okay for RTE2 HD, once they keep the same PIDs. EDIT: This has been replaced by 3e. RTENL Test Channel = Tv3. RTE HD Test = 3e.

I cant remember the sequence of on and off though when 3e and tv3 came on and HD channel went temporarily off.
    .......so any channels that existed back then will give those channels again and infact will also give you some of the new channels if a Test channel existed previously once the Audio and Video PIDs are the same.
    Hi STB,

I have found a back-up for a TX-L32G10L for Mullaghanish which is my transmitter, because it's a different size screen you would not recommend I restore the TX-L32G10L back-up to my TX-L37G10B?

Because its a different model nevermind a different screensize. It will do one of 2 things. Turn the B model to a european model or more likely it will brick it. I fear it might be an expensive lesson to learn. Dont Jump! I have learnt valuable lessons this way, even if you think having a backup of the original will save you!

• Advertisement

Once RTE finalise the channel line up on that mux it would be nice of them to organise a "0x1 amnesty day" every quarter so that those with 0x1 dependent firmware but with mpeg4 can tune and store their channels.

Even if it were unofficial and only between 4 and 7pm on those dates it would be a very decent gesture over the next year. Once ASO is close to complete or completed in the North it would probably not be feasible or mannerly for co ordination reasons ...ie post June 2012.

Somewhere like boards/digitalspy/avforums would be the perfect place to publicise it. An early trial to see if this poses any issues would also be nice...like by the 15th December....

Everybody turn on their tellys during that test to see if a 0x1 breaks anything that is working and causes unintended grief and report in.

If the reports are good then the amnesty could probably be tried and it also allows our NI/Welsh/Manx cousins to have a crack at scanning for RTE where they have MPEG4 capability and storing them. Frankly they could then do it every week on the more south and westerly txs where the signal would not be received in IoM/NI/Wales :)

Who has contacts in RTENL then??

Advertisement