Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Astronomers in Navan?

Options
  • 24-05-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

It seems to me that nary a soul in Navan has even heard about astronomy, let alone have it as a hobby. I'm a keen amateur (and admittedly quite useless), and I'd love to know if there's anyone else in town who goes stargazing as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I occasionally take out my binoculars or scope out on a clear night, but we get so few and I make use of less that I couldn't call it a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AdamB93

Don't I know that! There's so few places where you could actually just set down for the night (I've never even left the garden - and that's full of dog poop :P). What kind of scope have you got?

Sorry about the late reply :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nascar

I have recently got myself a telescope so I would be interested in meeting . Get a few tips etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

ScottStorm wrote: »
    I occasionally take out my binoculars or scope out on a clear night, but we get so few and I make use of less that I couldn't call it a hobby.
    This is exactly like my situation although i only have binos. I work nights so i'm away from home most nights and the few i am at home are either clouded over, wet, or i just couldn't face another late night and go to bed at a normal time. It sucks to be honest but i cannae do nuttin about it.
    I thought of getting a solar scope but jaysus they are expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hey guys,

Check out www.irishastronomy.org and see if there is anyone there who might be from the area too. Maybe it could be a chance for you all to get together and start your own club? If you need help with that, IFAS is a good place to look for wisdom and advice.

Seanie. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

We have a meetup in Melifont abbey which isnt that far away from Navan :)

http://www.meetup.com/The-Dublin-Stargazers-Group/

Best Regards

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

We have a meetup in Melifont abbey which isnt that far away from Navan :)

http://www.meetup.com/The-Dublin-Stargazers-Group/

Best Regards

dbran
    Nice one! Are kids allowed?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Yes of course.

Sure we were all kids once :D:D (and still are)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TonyL74

I live in Navan and I've always been interested in astronomy. The problem is light pollution, you really need to get away from the Light polluted areas, not easy with Kells ,Trim ,Drogheda and Dublin nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Im in Julianstown, not too far away.

Light pollution isnt that bad. I do get some decent pics here, with Balbriggan just 5km away, and Drogheda about 8km away.

Far better than my Mams house in Swords.

Its not so bad in Meath :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 KSSmith

Hi Guys

Came across this by chance when looking to publicise an event.

I have been looking for events in Meath for a while and couldn't find any so decided to start an Astronomy group myself and invite people along with the aim of maybe starting a club if there was enough interest. There is a second event on Easter Monday night at Rathbeggan Lakes and everyone is welcome. There is no entry fee and the shop will be open with red lighting. You can also find the group on facebook Meath Astronomy Club. I will be taking my scope down and let anyone who wants to have a look at Mars and Jupiter etc Its also the Lyrid meteor shower so we may see some meteors even though the peak is due during the day on the 22nd. Hope you can make it.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hi Kevin,

Kudos to you for starting up a local group. You might even find more people interested in finding out about Meath Astronomy Club on www.irishastronomy.org

:-)

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi Kevin,

Any updates on your Astronomy "adventure" please !?

Thanks.

KSSmith wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Came across this by chance when looking to publicise an event.

I have been looking for events in Meath for a while and couldn't find any so decided to start an Astronomy group myself and invite people along with the aim of maybe starting a club if there was enough interest. There is a second event on Easter Monday night at Rathbeggan Lakes and everyone is welcome. There is no entry fee and the shop will be open with red lighting. You can also find the group on facebook Meath Astronomy Club. I will be taking my scope down and let anyone who wants to have a look at Mars and Jupiter etc Its also the Lyrid meteor shower so we may see some meteors even though the peak is due during the day on the 22nd. Hope you can make it.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Hi rolion,

Kevin and the gang have the club up and running. Details on their FB page of upcoming events, etc at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Meath-Astronomy-Club/753390101339005

They are also involved with Solarfest 2015 which will be on the weekend of June 19th - 21st. The main talks will be at Dunsink Observatory on the Saturday. More details at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Solarfest/223930147635707 and http://www.irishastronomy.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=11&id=100488&Itemid=211

I've some info on other upcoming talks of interest at http://www.irishastronomy.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=11&id=100565&Itemid=211

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks John.

As I don't have a faceborg account...where do you guys meet this time of the year?
    Are there any good dark sites around Dublin 15 / Meath where you can land in the afternoon and leave ... next day !?
    Or, organise meeting / sightings in someone's back garden ,in a large farm ?

Clear sky tonight !!!

Advertisement