Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The fate of Irish Lightships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DavidGD

It’s time for the last big job in the kitchen – the floor. Not a straight forward job either – the previous owner did not make a terribly good job of the basic floor covering and there is the complication of a trap door next to the spiral staircase which has to open if any large objects are to be sent down or brought up. So instead of the usual tile-laying technique – start at a straight wall and work across – Simon has to start on the trap door and go both ways so that the trap door (when closed!) is as inconspicuous as possible (Photo).

The trap door incidentally is the old bathroom door, which was not a good fit and needed to be replaced. Waste not, want not!

The other bit of the deck which needs attention is the spiral staircase hole. (Photo)
    This was rectangular and encompassed what is now the above-mentioned trapdoor. It has been reshaped to accommodate the staircase and the edges need some trim. The car enthusiast I mentioned in my post of 18 January, is being very helpful again and is producing strips of 0.9mm galvanised steel to cover the edges all the way round.

Meanwhile, outside, the large vessel that was moored at the end of the catwalk has been taken elsewhere and so Simon has an uninterrupted view over the bow of the Medway Estuary. (Photo)

Hopefully the two vessels moored ‘temporarily’ alongside Simon, will now be moved and he will then also have a lovely view from his kitchen window as he does the dishes! Perhaps that double rainbow is a presage of better things to come?
    David

More gems from the National Archives. On the 4th of October 1910 the Irish Lights Office (ILO) asked the Board of Trade (BoT) to agree to the purchase of 16 fire extinguishers for use on their light vessels, at a total cost of £54 (£4,500 in today’s money). Presumably therefore there were 16 light vessels being operated by the ILO in 1910. The letter, signed by Mr H. Cook, the ILO Secretary, was couched in charming, Victorian language (Photo).

Three officials at the BoT agreed to sanction this expenditure, but one awkward chap in F Dept stuck his oar in saying that the Trinity House lightships (about 60 of them) did not have these extinguishers and that, “ …having investigated the specifications for the Irish lightships, I see that it provides for water tanks and various pumps (including fire engine pump and hose) for flooding and washing. Should we not ask what provision is made at present and why it is considered inadequate?”

So, on 10 October, the BoT asked the ILO for details of existing provision and reasons why that provision was considered inadequate. On 4 November the ILO’s Mr Cook replied “I am directed to state, for the information of the Board of Trade, that the wood light vessels are fitted with portable 3” fire pumps of Messrs Stone’s manufacture, with hose long enough to reach any part of the vessel. In the steel, wood-sheathed and iron ships, in addition to the portable 3” fire pumps, there is in each vessel a 6” Stone’s pump of the Downton type with sea cock connection and hose, fire buckets also are borne in each vessel”.

Unfortunately Mr Cook did not elaborate on the second part of the BoT’s query (reasons why this provision was inadequate) and merely stated that the Commissioners considered that it would be advisable to supplement these appliances with a suitable patent Fire Extinguisher.

The BoT then sought ‘professional’ advice by asking a Capt Monro for his opinion. The good Captain thought the proposal ‘quite reasonable’, but then hedged his bets. (Photo).

The killjoy from F Dept then stuck in another oar saying there was no record of any fire on board a light vessel and recommended asking Trinity House for their opinion.

On 23 November Trinity House reported on the observations of the Elder Brethren (sic), saying that the provision on their light vessels was ‘regarded as sufficient for the purpose’ and went on to say that their appliances were practically the same as those on the Irish light vessels. Mr F Dept leapt in gleefully, saying that Trinity House had four times as many lightships as the ILO. I think he went rather over the top by suggesting that extra fire extinguishers were not needed as the Irish lightships were stationed near the coast and were provided with life boats‼ (Photo)
    And so on 1 December 1910 the BoT informed the ILO the expenditure was not sanctioned. There it rested until two years later when the ILO had another go. On 7 August 1912 the new Secretary of the ILO, Mr J Philps, wrote “I am directed by the Commissioners of Irish Lights to state that they are convinced of the importance of furnishing lighthouses and lightships with efficient fire appliances…..”. Notice that lighthouses have crept in alongside lightships and the requested expenditure shot up to £278 (£19,000 today).
    The Elder Brethren at Trinity House were again consulted and replied listing the provision of Chemical Fire Extinguishers at their 70 lighthouses – the list shows the name of the lighthouse; the number of extinguishers at each; and the location of each extinguisher (in the lamp room, the tower base, the dwelling or ‘other’). No lightships were listed and TH recommended that the ILO should state their reasons if they wanted provision on their lightships. However their letter concluded with the words “… should they consider further safeguards necessary on board their lightships, a portable Chemical Fire Extinguisher would perhaps best meet their needs”.
    There seemed to be a softening of the BoT approach and the expenditure on the Irish lighthouses was approved, but F Dept was still muttering in the background against the lightships. On 5 October the ILO was again invited to state why they thought current provision was inadequate. On 8 October the ILO responded, but without any justification apart from saying they considered the supply of these fire extinguishers ‘absolutely necessary’. The reaction in the BoT was negative all the way up the food chain until the memos reached a Mr Robertson on 25 October. Swimming against the tide (Tide? What tide?) he merely opinoned that the request should be grants (Photo)
    He must have been fairly senior as there was no more dissent, not even from F Dept, and the ILO were given sanction to spend the extra £40 :10s on 28 October 1912. Pity they did not go straight to Mr Robertson in October 1910.
    David

Lego Legere very kindly commented with very useful leads about deck lights and pirate radio stations.

I followed up both leads and found the Chapter 31 reference was an article in Dutch! Hans Knot set out a history of UK pirate radio stations – ‘zeezenders’. If my translating machine is correct, the Voice of Slough was going to be the first. On 10th October 1961 in The Times reported the arrival of a British offshore radio. The newspaper reported that the 42-year-old journalist, John Thompson from Slough, was planning to set up his own radio station. Thompson told the journalist that he had available a 70-ton motor boat with a length of 65 feet, previously used as a fishing boat. The planned anchorage would be in the vicinity of the light ship The Nore , about three miles off the coast at Southend. The broadcasts would have a power of 1 kW on a frequency of 980 kHz. The launch date was set for 1 December 1961. There were several delays and eventually the main financier, the Canadian Arnold Swanson, abandoned the project and committed to a similar project, that he would call GBOK (Great Britain OK). He bought a former 91 feet long and 570 tons Irish light ship - . the Lady Dixon (recognise that name?). As well as being a radio station, the Lady Dixon would also function as a light ship. A logo was designed (Photo) but troubles lay ahead.

The other lead from Lego was a newspaper archive site www.newspapers.com and there I turned up an article from the Hobbs Daily News (Hobbs is in New Mexico), dated 29 March 1962. (Photo) The same story also ran in the Kansas City Star.

Basically the story was about Lady Dixon having a sticky time with mud and officialdom. Swanson maintained that he still hoped to be broadcasting by the end of the month. However, even though two tugs managed to free the ship from the mud’s embrace, the UK Government and the BBC were unhappy over GBOK. Swanson’s application for a ship-to-shore radio telephone license was refused and eventually all the radio equipment was seized. The venture collapsed. She might have been a contender to be the first pirate radio ship in the UK, but never made it.
    David

It’s nice to see Simon making good progress and he certainly works hard enough in his ‘spare’ time. The story so far has shown the good bits and the bits that he has made good, but, even leaving aside the complete refurbishment of the cavernous areas below deck, there are a lot of bad bits which need to be addressed. These include the hull itself where the 136-year-old teak is showing its age. The massive beam which goes right round the edge of the ship (technical term please someone) has crumbled away in places – especially at the stern – and a previous owner has back filled it with concrete. This concrete is itself crumbling in places. I don’t know whether concrete is a recognised repair material, but I cannot think of any other way to fill a jagged hole easily. (Photo)

The ‘repairs’ go right around the stern and look quite fresh on the port side. (Photo)

Most of the sides of the hull look sound, but there are areas where close inspection and perhaps repairs are needed. The forward starboard area is a case in point (Photo)

As the vessel is floating higher than she was in her working days and will not (hopefully) be subjected to anything more than a gentle lifting and lowering on the tide, this may not be a problem. A good scrape and paint is indicated!

Wood rots and metal corrodes – especially when exposed to salty sea air and moisture. A temporary repair has been done on the lifeboat platform supports. Although the lifeboat and its davits have long since gone, the platform was definitely at risk. A more permanent repair will be effected. (Photo)

Finally, the old mizzen mast is doing a reasonable job keeping the ship off the mooring posts, but a gentler medium is needed. We found a neighbouring contractor about to dispose of some big dumper truck tyres, which will be ideal fenders. (Photo)

The only problem now is how to get them from N Wales to Kent‼
    David

It is a good thing I am retired. Just when I think of a relaxing afternoon, or a quiet drive in the old motor, Simon sends me fresh evidence of his progress.

Below decks is going to need some serious heating (once it is refurbished and insulated). I have sent Simon numerous adverts for modern multi-fuel stoves with back boilers to run radiators down there, but Simon doesn’t often do modern – as witnessed by his purchase of this 1878 ship! So he has bought something with a lot of character, something which will blend in with its surroundings and yet (hopefully) do the job. It is ‘probably’ a French Godin stove, age uncertain, quite ornate and in need of some TLC (Photo). The glass front door is not in place, but it did come with the stove.

While that sits on deck waiting its turn, Simon has got on with the skylight. Until now it has been covered with a board and plastic sheeting (Photo - note the rusty old ventilation cowls). To compensate for some of the low blows Fate has dealt him over recent months, he did acquire a double-glazed panel of toughened glass, just the right size and with a blind incorporated in it, for just the cost of the petrol to go and fetch it.

So off came the temporary cover (Photo – note the newly refurbished ventilation cowls) and, with a bespoke frame to give it a slight ‘drainage’ slope, on went the new panel (Photo).

The interior surround now needs packing, plaster-boarding and plastering, but looks very good already. (Photo)

Meanwhile my search for history goes on. Last week Charlie Warmington published an article about the Cormorant/Lady Dixon in his excellent Roamer column in the Belfast Newsletter. Already he has been contacted by some of his readers and of course I am hoping that some of them may have memories and perhaps photos of the ship when she was stationed off Carrickfergus. I am planning a trip across to Belfast to research the Lady Dixon’s log-books which the Public Records Office has in the archives.
    David

• Advertisement

Fate continues to deal Simon some low blows. His Cherokee broke down (again) and this time it is terminal. It is very difficult to find a replacement vehicle without any transport to get around; while earning enough to keep the wolf from the door; while repairing the door; etc etc. Still, he remains cheerful. I am searching up here in N Wales, but of course that means getting any vehicle down to Kent if I succeed.

My trip to the Public Records Office in Belfast is now arranged. I am allowing two days to peruse their records of wireless traffic between the Harbour authorities and the Lady Dixon, plus the Masters’ log books of the ship from 1943 to 1956 – and anything else I can find!

Meanwhile the Devil finds work ……. I am on the track of a Diaphone fog-horn to replace the one missing from the ship. You will remember that it was shown on the 1943 blueprints I got from the National Archives (Photo).

Unfortunately it is proving difficult to get a decision from the owners. Only the ‘trumpet’ remains, but it would be a start. So meanwhile I have had a cunning plan.

Simon needs some sort of doorbell to alert him to visitors when he is working in the depths. So I have made use of a redundant speaker to provide a basis for a very appropriate alerting system.

First I gutted it, then made up a little circuit board (a kit of parts purchased from Germany) which required some delicate soldering. I also purchased a suitable little speaker, made a mounting board for it and installed a push-button to operate the device. (Photo).

The finished article looks very smart (Photo) and makes quite a good sound. I had to zip the mpv file, but try it if you can....
    David

I gather some are having difficulty downloading the 'doorbell' file and unzipping it. Have a look at www.cormorantlightship.blogspot.co.uk where you can simply press a button to see the short video. David

Just a couple of small items, finishing touches and odds and ends. The skylight has been finished off nicely on the outside with metal cladding (Photo).
    The inside has been packed, plaster-boarded and plastered. It just remains to add a bit of paint and that’s another project finished (Photo).
    The toughened, double-glazed glass came with integral venetian-type blind. I don’t think it functions when the glass is horizontal, but there is plenty of light coming through and on a hot summer’s day (we wish!) I think Simon will be glad it is not clear glass.

With a few hours to spare, Simon set about the entrance hatch to the forward companionway. This was very rusty and holed in places. Some time ago it was welded up and this week Simon stripped and painted it. It looks much better now, but shows up the door, which needs stripping and varnishing. (Photo)

So I am off to Belfast on Monday to see what the Public Records Office has to offer concerning the Lady Dixon from 1943 to 1956, when she was moored off Carrickfergus in the dual role of lightship and pilot station. Incidentally, I apologise for some careless writing in earlier blogs when I referred to Lady Dixon as the Harbour Master’s wife. The Cormorant was in fact renamed after a Harbour Commissioner’s wife - most probably Lady Edith Dixon, married to Sir Thomas James Dixon, whose names were given to one of Belfast’s best-known parks in 1959. Alternatively, the vessel may have been named after Sir Thomas’s mother, Lady Eliza.
    David

What a tremendous few days I had in Belfast! Leaving aside the wonderful hospitality shown to me over there, the research went exceedingly well. I spent the first day in the Public Records Office Northern Ireland (PRONI) and most of the second in the Library of the Belfast Harbour Commissioners.

At PRONI they produced Masters’ Log Books – four massive volumes covering the time from when Cormorant arrived in Blefast from Dublin (17 July 1943); took over from a small motor vessel called ‘P.S. Edith Williames’ (Pilot Steamer) on 28 July 1943; up until 1956. The first volume is cloth covered and titled “Log Book P.S. Edith Williams” (incorrect spelling of Williames); in pen underneath is “and Cormorant”; but Cormorant is scored out and “Lady Dixon” written in. (Photo – this is a photo of the photocopies I had made of the books and the page where the takeover is listed). Subsequent volumes are leather covered and properly inscribed with “P.L.V. Lady Dixon” (Pilot Light Vessel).

A close-up of the page for July 1943 shows the actual entry recording the arrival on station of Cormorant, the lighting of the light; and the testing of the fog-horn (Photo). That would have been popular with the neighbours at half-past midnight!

The page headings usually showed the vessel’s name, but between 30 September 1943 and 8 October 1943 the headings are blank. I assume this is because, during this period, the name change from Cormorant to Lady Dixon was being organised.

So I went through 13 years of daily reports by two Masters – J Owens and A.P. Kennedy – who each spent one month aboard before being relieved by the other. Also listed were the names of the pilots on duty and all the vessels which were ‘boarded’ and guided into and out of the harbour. Each year Lady Dixon was relieved on station for a month, presumably to undergo inspection and repairs.

Also at PRONI there were some accounts and minutes of the Belfast Harbour Commissioners. The accounts revealed that Lady Dixon was valued at £18,307 : 1s ; 9d in 1945. That is over £550,000 in today’s money! The minutes proved rather difficult, being loose papers gathered up with ribbons galore. It took longer to undo the old ribbons than it did to read the various old papers! I ploughed on until closing time.

The following day proved even more fruitful. I had intended to return to PRONI for more accounts and minutes, but a friend organised a visit to the HQ of the Belfast Harbour Commissioners. There I was given the run of their handsome library, along with coffee and secretarial assistance! They could not have been more helpful. Their versions of minutes and accounts were properly printed and bound, year by year (Photo – a photo of the photocopies they made for me, including the book covers!).

What a treasure trove of information these proved to be. In June 1942, repairs to the boiler of the P.S. Edith Williams were deemed to be too expensive in view of the age of the boiler – 42 years. It was suggested that a lightship be procured and used as a combined lightship and pilot station. Apparently Trinity House, London had nothing to sell, but the Commissioners of Irish Lights in Dublin had two on offer. By 30 June the two ships had been inspected and, subject to ‘an examination in graving dock’, the lightship Cormorant was judged to be suitable. She was found to be ‘in very good condition’ and the go ahead was given on 14 July at a price of £1,900 (£62,000 today). On 28 July approval was given for the conversion costs of £12,500 (£411,000), work to be carried out by the Liffey Dockyard in Dublin as local firms were unable to undertake the work at that time. The conversion required was detailed in the blueprints, copies of which I obtained back in November and which I reported in my posts at that time.

In June 1943, almost a year later, there is recorded ‘an agreement with Mr John Cooper, Tug Owner, to tow the light vessel “Cormorant” from Dublin to Belfast’ and she duly arrived on 17 July 1943, as I found in the Log Books.
    More nuggets next time.
    David

To help the Belfast Harbour Commissioners come to a decision about buying Cormorant from Dublin, the surveyors they sent down to examine the ship were Messrs James Maxton & Co. Google told me they are still in business and, more in hope than expectation, I sent off an e-mail asking if they have any records of the survey. The reply was swift but disappointing – their offices were destroyed in a WWII blitz. The firm was also tasked to produce ‘an outline specification and drawing of the adaptions which would be necessary to make the vessel suitable for the pilotage service’. The blueprints from which I obtained copies must have been drawn up from those Maxton documents and they are labelled ‘Liffey Dockyard’, where the work was done. Maxtons were also paid ‘200 guineas’ to supervise the work. You may remember the correspondence I found back in October, which debated what allowances the surveyors should receive for travelling from Belfast to Dublin. Those were the Maxton surveyors and they received only ‘normal’ expenses as Dublin was not considered to be ‘abroad’!

Another little nugget from the minutes enabled me to plot the location of the Lady Dixon during her time on station in Belfast Lough. All I knew before my visit was that she was stationed ‘off Carrickfergus’ and to me that meant a few hundred yards from shore, warning ships off the Carrickfergus rocks. The only photo we had of the ship on station was taken in the 1950s by Wil Smith (New Zealand) and showed a rather distant shoreline (Photo).

I thought perhaps the photo had been taken from the Carrickfergus shore. However, in the minutes of June 1942, where the purchase of a lightship was discussed, it was stated that it would be stationed in Belfast Lough ‘mid-way between No1 Buoy, Victoria Channel, and Grey Point’.

Well assuming that the location of No1 Buoy has not changed much – 1.5 miles SE of Carrickfergus – and Grey Point is easily found on local maps, it has been possible to estimate (note the word!) where Lady Dixon was moored, and it is right across on the south side of the Lough (Photo), which explains the photo.

All this was of course very exciting (am I turning into a nerd?) but there was more to come.

I continued my trawl through the library of the Belfast Harbour Commissioners, having found plenty of interesting nuggets in the early minute books. In September 1943 “The Chairman intimated that, in accordance with the wishes of the Board, he had asked Lady Dixon, D.B.E., J.P., wife of their esteemed colleague, The Rt. Hon. Sir Thomas J. Dixon, Bart., H.M.L., if she would consent to the pilot lightship “Cormorant” (which name the Board desired to alter) being named after her, and that Lady Dixon had kindly consented”. Well that settled my question as to whether the ship was named after Sir Thomas’ wife or mother. It was resolved “That the pilot lightship be named “Lady Dixon”, and that the grateful thanks of the Commissioners be conveyed to Lady Dixon for the honour which she has conferred upon them by allowing the vessel to bear her name”. Isn’t the language lovely? This is of course the period when the Master of the lightship, Mr A.P. Kennedy, did not know what name to write in the headings of his log pages!

Things soon became rather routine and repetitive in the Minutes, as they had in the Log Books and not wishing to take undue advantage of the Commissioners’ generosity, I kept the free photocopying down to a minimum and made extensive notes. These tell me that in January 1955, the ship’s repair bills were mounting – well she was 83 years old by this time. Her regular overhaul cost a total of £1,760 (over £57,000 today) although this did include examination and renewal of her mooring. This did not include ‘repairs to the Aga and Esse cookers, the Pilots’ Mess Room heater, any repairs needed underneath, nor the repairs to the boarding platform damaged on 8 December 1954 in a gale’. The last entry in the last Log Book available was on 14 September 1956, but the Minutes continued and included a commendation from the Commissioners to the pilots and crew of the Lady Dixon for the rescue of three occupants of a small yacht which capsized in Belfast Lough on 7 September 1958. The end was fast approaching, but I will deal with that next time.

The final nugget I found before I left the Commissioners was a big one. There were several photograph albums on the shelves and in one I struck real gold! Up until then, the only photograph we had of Lady Dixon was Wil Smith’s. In one of the albums I found not one, but three photographs of the ship taken on 21 May 1957. Any doubts I may have had about Wil’s photo being of the Lady Dixon were dispelled because the name is clearly visible on two of the photographs and the planking of the ‘boarding platform’ at the stern can be seen. This platform had caused me doubts because it made the stern look very rectangular – not at all like the ship as she is now (and was underneath the platform). (Photos)
    David

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The photographs are pure gold and I've added them to my archive. Keep up the great research - really enjoy reading about progress on the project. :D

By the end of the 1950s, Lady Dixon’s time in Belfast was coming to an end (the ship, not the Commissioner’s wife!). The Minutes reveal (Nov 1959) that “… the Harbour Master had reported that parts of the upper works of the pilot light vessel Lady Dixon, (which is not due for triennial survey until February, 1961) were in a poor state, and that, as it was possible that some of the underparts of the vessel were in similar condition, he had suggested that a thorough inspection of the vessel on station be made by a competent wooden ship surveyor….”. A report from the Harbour Engineer subsequently reported “…. a certain amount of deterioration of the decking and a small leak on the starboard quarter; any detailed examination of the vessel would necessitate the removal of a considerable amount of panelling and decking, and suggesting, in the circumstances, that the vessel be dry-docked as soon as is reasonably practicable for the purpose of survey …..”. It got worse! In February 1960 the vessel was withdrawn from station and a preliminary survey reported that “The work immediately necessary to make the vessel serviceable for a period of 12 months, i.e., until she is due for triennial survey and overhaul …” was estimated to cost £3,000 (£58,000 today) and take 3 months. The overhaul and work necessary to make the vessel serviceable for a further 3 years would cost at least £20,000 (£390,000 today) and take 4/6 months.
    These costs obviously caused concern and discussions began about whether the pilotage service could be run from a shore station at Carrickfergus (which would require the building of a landing stage and the purchase of two fast motor vessels). After much discussion and detailed estimates of the various options, it was decided (8 March 1960) that Lady Dixon would not be repaired. There was even a suggestion at one stage that the vessel be beached at Carrickfergus to provide accommodation for the pilots, but a building ashore became available.
    The final mention was in the minutes of 29 November 1960 when it was agreed that the vessel would be disposed of. She was advertised in, of all publications, the ‘Yachting World’ and in February 1961 a Belfast businessman, Mr G.A.Lee offered £185 (£2,800 today). This offer was declined, but when he raised it to £685 (£10,600 today) later that month, his offer was accepted. That was the end of Lady Dixon’s period in Belfast and within about 12 months she was on her way to a new career as a Pirate Radio Station – which, as we have seen, never got off the ground/water.

Meanwhile, back down on the Medway, Simon is pressing on with the refurbishment. The quaint old stove which he purchased to provide heat downstairs, sorry below deck, (Photo) came up very well with a lot of elbow grease (Photo).

The curly silvery trimmings top and bottom and the ash-catcher lids on the sides, are showing their age and no amount of rubbing is going to disguise the corrosion, but he does not want to paint them (Photo).

The next big job is tiling the kitchen floor. This involves a membrane which has to be glued to the deck; then the tiles are glued to the membrane. He has the membrane cut to size and ready to glue (Photo), so the tiles should be down this week. After that, now that drier weather is on offer, the main deck will be insulated.

There remains the question of what to do with the old skylight from the kitchen roof, which is in better condition than it looks (Photo). Simon is thinking of using it to replace the forward companionway doors, which are not in good shape. One of those port-holes in each door will look good.
    David

Well after all the excitement of Belfast, the historical part has slowed right down. ‘Dead End in Dublin’ could be the title for this chapter! Contact with the Commissioners of Irish Lights (CIL) is proving difficult and the Liffey Dockyard Ltd., where the conversion work was carried out on behalf of Belfast, has long since ceased to exist. Pat Sweeney, the author of ‘The Liffey Ships’, is being very helpful, but has not found any mention of the Cormorant amongst his extensive research, even though it must have been a major project for the yard at the time. So the only information I have so far about the Cormorant before she became the Lady Dixon, is that she was built in 1876/78 by the Victoria Shipbuilding Co., West Passage Cork, Ireland. She was 91 ft long, 21 ft wide and her draft was 11ft. She cost £7,500 to build and served on many Irish stations. Her construction was a composite of teak planking over Iron Frames. I have yet to find any early photos or paintings of the vessel. There is a mention of her in the history of another lightship when, in 1912 I believe, that vessel needed repairs and Cormorant took over the South Rock station for a short time. That’s it!

So, if any of you know any influential members of the CIL Board, or worked in the Liffey Dockyard during WWII ……….

Meanwhile, Simon makes slow, but steady progress with the more important work. He has laid and grouted the straightforward rows of tiles in the kitchen (Photos) and next week will be doing the tricky edging and surrounds. I wish him luck – I have never been able to cut a floor tile neatly, even when it was just a straight line across the tile!

Just thinking back to those wonderful Masters’ log books, we should not be surprised that the change(s) of name in 1943 were implemented on the cover with a pen. It was war time after all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have you visited the CIL museum at the Bailey lighthouse in Howth?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Have you visited the CIL museum at the Bailey lighthouse in Howth?

I've been wondering about this too. I spoke to their reception today and although not generally open to the public, group/one-off visits can be arranged by contacting info@cil.ie - there's certainly plenty of superb models to see out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

We should get a group together for a Baily visit. Quite arrangeable according to a semi-former neighbour who works from an office in the lighthouse.

I don't want to be rude about someone's pride and joy, but I don't think the museum is large enough to house very much about lighthouses, let alone lightships! I believe the CIL should have some records worth travelling to Dublin for, if only I could get some response from them. Incidentally, quite by chance at a dinner last month, I found myself sitting next to a chap who works at the National Archives , Kew. I have an open invitation to visit!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My father was researching a sinking off the SW coast during WW1. He and the "curator" went through all the lighthouse logs in the region for the time and found the information he was after. So I think there is a considerable amount of material held there. Seems strange to knock the idea without even exploring it further?

Point taken, but I think I would have to get a helpful local person to have a look before I made the trip across. Any volunteers?
    David

Some time ago Simon bought himself a canoe, but unfortunately it was holed in a storm – sounds romantic but actually it was tied down on the roof of the superstructure and something fell on it! Anyway, it is now repaired and this excellent weather has tempted Simon to christen it and take some photos of the hull from sea level. The hull was constructed with two layers of teak planking and covered by a sheet of ‘yellow metal’. This was Muntz metal - a form of alpha-beta brass with about 60% copper, 40% zinc and a trace of iron. It is named after George Frederick Muntz, a metal-roller of Birmingham, England who commercialised the alloy following his patent of 1832. Its original application was as a replacement for copper sheathing on the bottom of boats, as it maintained the anti-fouling abilities of the pure copper at around two thirds of the price. It became the material of choice for this application and Muntz made his fortune.
    A notable use of Muntz Metal was in the hull of the Cutty Sark and I believe that only three vessels still exist which have the teak planks on iron frame with Muntz cladding construction – Cutty Sark, Simon’s lightship and one other.
    Simon’s canoe-based survey showed that, in places, the Muntz is crumbling at the edges (aren’t we all?). (Photo). There is a definite limiting line just above water level – which would make sense.

In places the Muntz is in good shape (Photo) and in others it looks like a patchwork quilt – or a piece of modern art! (Photo)

On a more serious note, there are areas of the hull that are in need of some serious TLC. (Photo) Thank goodness these are well above the waterline, but will need to be done nonetheless.

Some areas look fine, although still needing work.(Photo)
    David

• Advertisement

Sadly I have had no response to my appeal for help with access to the Commissioners for Irish Lights. They owned the vessel from 1878 until Belfast bought her in 1942. Surely there must be some records of this period similar to the treasures I found in Belfast? About 500 people a week are viewing this story on the four forums (fora?). Are none of you from the Dublin area?

Meanwhile, back on the ship, Simon does have time to relax and enjoy the weather and the views. (Photo) Actually, that is not Simon, it’s his girlfriend Laura. I knew those ventilation cowls would come in handy.

Busy as ever, Simon has applied three coats of varnish to his ‘clinker’ boat – on the outside at least (Photo).

And, true to his principle of waste not want not, the rubber ‘bin’ that used to protect the hole in the roof from where the mainmast emerged, is no longer needed now that the roof has been properly covered and so it has been put to another use – growing potatoes! (Photos)

However, there is a very big task which must be tackled very soon – insulating the deck. Simon will have to make the most of any good weather we have this summer. There is a mountain of work to be done below deck, but this cannot really start until the deck is done and the condensation stops.

Since immersing myself in the history of Simon’s lightship, I have discovered the pleasures of research. Both large and small discoveries more than compensate for all the painstaking work in between. I must avoid becoming an ‘anorak’, but I am enjoying it. For instance the long arm of coincidence manifested itself this week. In 1916 the German submarine U-53 was causing consternation along the US eastern seaboard and British merchant vessels were forbidden to leave port until the menace was dealt with. The U-boat had been reported by the Nantucket lightship and who was commanding that lightship? Captain David Dudley. No it wasn’t me – I may be old, but not that old!
    David

Just a quick post to let you know that things will be quiet for a couple of weeks. I am off to Spain in the old car for a touring holiday with some fellow enthusiasts. Simon is away too, on a jaunt of his own.

One thing to report – the demise of the old Rayburn stove. Dismantling revealed a hopeless mess inside, with many bits missing and really bad corrosion. It is too heavy and cumbersome to keep for old time’s sake. (Photo)

So it is out with the old and in with the new – well perhaps not so new as Simon likes retro (Photo). This is for heating, not cooking!

So, until the middle of June, it’s goodbye from me and it’s goodbye from him!

David

Scenic overload in Spain (Photo). What a great holiday!

Meanwhile Harry Gibbon has found me a contact and I will resume the research and report.

Simon, who has a shorter holiday than us, has found time to plaster the ceiling of the living room (salon?). Now that it is uncluttered with joins and ridges, it makes the room look even more extensive. (Photo)

The new stove arrives next week and Simon wants to decorate before that is installed.
    David

Guess Simon drew the shorter straw. :D

The archivist at the Commissioners for Irish Lights reports that he can find no information about Cormorant, even though she was in their service from 1878 to 1942. That is very disappointing. The only trace I have is a report that Cormorant replaced Petrel temporarily on the South Rock station in 1910, when Petrel was damaged in a collision. However, other records show that Petrel was not built until several years later! Moreover I can find no records on Google, or the National Archives (UK or Irish) of a South Rock lightship collision in 1910 - although several hundred references to the Nantucket disaster.

So where to next ....... ?

David

Fate deals some cruel blows to amateur researchers. As I reported earlier, the offices of the ship surveyors who examined the Cormorant in 1942 were bombed a short time later and bang went a lot of useful records (literally!). Now I find that the Public Records Office in Dublin was destroyed during the Battle of Dublin in 1922. I was hoping to find some information about her time with the Commissioners for Irish Lights (from 1878 to 1942). I did find a book by Herbert Wood B.A. (Oxon) M.R.L.A. who catalogued what was in the building in 1919. From the headings and department names I surmise that there was little if anything about lightships, but there were some weird and wonderful titles:-

Cursitors Office

Recognizance Office

Clerk of the Crown and Hanaper

Lunacy Office

Register of Appeals or Provocations Spiritual

Palatinate of Tipperary (honestly!)

Registers of Irregular Marriages

The Liberty of Saint Sepulchre

The Oxford Dictionary was of little help in deciphering most of these!

Nothing to do with lightships I know, but fascinating.

David

Off topic - slightly - but the fate of a very interesting Trinity House lightvessel LV72 was brought to my attention tonight. It's one that I wasn't aware of and should have been as it was involved in the Normandy Landings in 1945. Despite this it seems to have fallen through the preservation net in the UK as the sad picture below shows. Quite why nobody has moved to save her is a mystery but the ubiquitous Facebook page is up and running here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/787159187984566/ and where there's life, there's hope. :)

10450819_10152490998725822_4333016432487036156_n.jpg

LV72 is indeed a sad sight. When the tide rises - she doesn't! The deck is awash at each high tide.
    I have been in touch with the owner (a scrap metal dealer) who bought it 30 or so years ago to scrap, used it as an office for a while and then abandoned it. I was hoping to 'rescue' one or two bits from it for Cormorant.
    This is a very different looking ship from how she looked in WWII. Like Cormorant she has been converted from a lamp going up and down a mast, to a permanent fixed lamp on a new superstructure. For this reason and the fact that she is obviously holed and full of silt and very rusty, I very much doubt whether any preservation body would be interested in her. Hope springs eternal in the owner's breast, but I think she will eventually be scrapped.
    Among my vintage car friends I see many old wrecks (cars!) that sit waiting for a restoration that never comes - and then it is too late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

DavidGD wrote: »
    The archivist at the Commissioners for Irish Lights reports that he can find no information about Cormorant, even though she was in their service from 1878 to 1942. That is very disappointing. The only trace I have is a report that Cormorant replaced Petrel temporarily on the South Rock station in 1910, when Petrel was damaged in a collision. However, other records show that Petrel was not built until several years later! Moreover I can find no records on Google, or the National Archives (UK or Irish) of a South Rock lightship collision in 1910 - although several hundred references to the Nantucket disaster.

So where to next ....... ?

David

Have you looked at the Lloyds List records? If there was damage it probably would have been reported. A look at newspaper archives for a few days after that date also could prove useful.

For your other queries, Trinity House still has people called ‘Elder Brethren’ so odd names/titles survive!:D

Palatinate – we had a few in Ireland, Tipperary was under the rule of the Butlers, Earls of Ormond, so that one was hereditary. The nobleman holder swore allegiance to the monarch and then could rule largely independently of the monarch. The Ormonds lost their Palatinate when they got mixed up in the Jacobite Rising in 1715.
    Irregular Marriages – around the 1830’s there was a new Marriage Act introduced that allowed priests/ministers of non-Established Church to perform the ceremony. All marriages conducted by non-Anglican clergy were ‘Irregular’.
    The Clerk of the Hanaperwas a public office holder who was paid fees for the sealing of charters, patents, writs, etc., (The hanaper was the container in which the seals were kept.)
    The Cursitor’s Office contained clerks who drew up writs, etc.
    Recognizance Office was where recognizances were filed / recorded / stamped (for a fee, scaled according to length & type.)
    Lunacy Office – back then it was part of the Lord Chancellor’s area, dealt with the property/estates of lunatics, a bit like the Wards of Court office.
    The Liberty of St. Sepulchre is a Dublin Inner City district – it was a townland united to the city, but still preserved its own jurisdiction and had privileges as a reward its loyalty to the Crown and to counteract hardships caused by the native Irish. St. Sepulchres belonged to the Archbishop of Dublin.

(Apologies for drifting ‘Off station’)

• Advertisement

Thank you Pedro. I will certainly try Lloyds List and a few newspapers around that time.
    Thanks also for the 'translations' of those peculiar titles!
    David

Advertisement