Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What ever happened to Director?

• 11-03-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

What ever happened to these lads?
    Was listening to my music collection and their song 'Leave it to Me' from their first album came on.

They seem to have just disappeared from the radar without any message as to why.

Saw them when they played at Oxegen and thought they were pretty good. They got a few awards when their first album came out too so I'm at a loss as to why they just stopped entirely.

Any one know?

http://www.directormusic.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_(band)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Reconnect was an awesome song.
    still gets the odd airplay on Phantom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Did one of their management run off with their money?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

seachto7 wrote: »
    Did one of their management run off with their money?

No, that was Producer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Caliden wrote: »
    Saw them when they played at Oxegen and thought they were pretty good.
    I saw them when they played on the main stage at Oxegen 2006 and I wasn't impressed. Probably because I was anxiously waiting for Placebo as well. They seemed like the type of band that would have been better suited to a later slot in one of the tents rather than an early slot on the main stage. They were very out of their depth that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    No, that was Producer.

What happened again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

They just opted out. Simple as that really. They had a pretty cool label deal for the first album and got a decent push here and in the UK but it just didn't spark for them.

They released second album independently and though it was a great album and did OK here, the lads weren't interested in continuing. They're all doing various other things now, music-related or otherwise.

Without a semi decent label, it's pretty much impossible to make any money out of original music.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martybike

Great band. Saw them in the Button Factory a few years ago and was very impressed. I was hoping they were working on a third album, but they just seemed to disappear. Shame, specially when you think of some of the bands that are getting so much undeserved attention at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

martybike wrote: »
    Shame, specially when you think of some of the bands that are getting so much undeserved attention at the moment.
    Kodaline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

We Thrive on Big Cities was an excellent album.

Iirc their debut was released around the same time as The Blizzards (I definitely bought both on the same day) and while it unfortunate, imo, that The Blizzards had a better career I think its pretty unusual for a young Irish band that sound like Director to get the push and the exposure they did so I guess I'm just grateful I ever heard of them at all.

The Blizzards' album was better produced and sounded better even though they were not as good as Director.

The Blizzards were too trendy

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hansbo

Was just listening to Directors two CDs over the weekend. They were so good! I saw them a few times a couple of years.

Tried to find out about them nowadays, but I couldn't see anything.

Anybody have any idea what they're up to now? Are they still gigging?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I remember seeing them support Maximo Park in the Olympia. :O
    Saw them in The Music Centre as well and probably at one of the Oxe's. Relaly liked them.

I will forever associate "Reconnect" with my job hunt after I got back from Australia in 2006. What a cracking song.

The final track on " We Thrive..." called "Never Know", is absolutely fantastic.

We Thrive on Big Cities was an excellent album.
    But I'll wait for sound was not good. Typical Irish indie rock, too middle-class sounding and bland production to impress.

What is middle class sounding music, in an Irish context? What is working class music in an Irish context?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Caliden wrote: »
    What ever happened to these lads?
    Was listening to my music collection and their song 'Leave it to Me' from their first album came on.

They seem to have just disappeared from the radar without any message as to why.

Saw them when they played at Oxegen and thought they were pretty good. They got a few awards when their first album came out too so I'm at a loss as to why they just stopped entirely.

Any one know?

http://www.directormusic.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_(band)

They need to reconnect :o

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

The Blizzards were too trendy
    I always imagined that the Blizzards' gigs were attended solely by female students in St. Pat's types. I'd have seen them as being on the opposite end of the spectrum to trendy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭fluke

fiachr_a wrote: »
    But I'll wait for sound was not good. Typical Irish indie rock, too middle-class sounding and bland production to impress.

I actually prefer I'll Wait For Sound to the WToBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

fiachr_a wrote: »

So if Director were "working class" they would have been a better band?

I always imagined that the Blizzards' gigs were attended solely by female students in St. Pat's types. I'd have seen them as being on the opposite end of the spectrum to trendy.

Bang on, same as the crowd that go to see Hermitage Green. (no offence to them!)

I would consider it trendy, in a mainstream trendy type of way.

"OMG!!! I don't care about the music, he/they are so hot!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

What was the name of that Irish band from late 90s/early 2000s bit like Joy Division with a gorgeous female bass player?

Edit: Got it JJ72, pretty good, seen them live twice, Hillary Woods was on bass:

902hd_Hilary_Woods_hwa003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭flasher0030

What was the name of that Irish band from late 90s/early 2000s bit like Joy Division with a gorgeous female bass player?

Edit: Got it JJ72, pretty good, seen them live twice, Hillary Woods was on bass:

saw them a long long time ago in The Pod or Crawdaddy - one of those places beside the Odeon. Really liked JJ72. Lead singer had the really high-pitched voice, and he used to smash up his guitar at the end of the live sets.

If you took the best songs from their 2 albums and made it into 1 album, it would be a classic.

and ya, Hillary was some pouty rock chick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Alonso77

they were nothing like Joy Division!

Alonso77 wrote: »
    they were nothing like Joy Division!

They were quite unique actually; most Irish bands are bad clones of British groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Hillary released a solo album a while ago.

iomega wrote: »
    Hillary released a solo album a while ago.

Bits I heard from it sound good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Bits I heard from it sound good too.

I thought it was boring but I didnt give it much of chance really..anyways there is a good JJ72 thread somewhere here if anyone wants to know more about the aftermath of JJ72.

• Advertisement
Advertisement