Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is meter reading calculated?

• 14-04-2014 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a quick question about how my bill will be calculated if I submit meter readings. 

Our bill has been based on estimates for a while now. I've been keeping an eye on the meter, and I've worked out that while our bill for the last billing period is €459 (of which €445 is for electricity), we've only actually used about €320 over those 2 months. 

However, the TOTAL amount on the meter is more than the total amount estimated on the bill. I'm fairly certain this was racked up by previous tenants.

So I guess my question is fairly obvious, if I input meter readings, will I only be paying for electricity used from the current billing period onwards, or will I have to pay for the electricity use of whoever was living here before? 

Thanks. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Eyeball Tickler,

A customer is only billed for usage from the point they register the property in their name. So the usage from their meter reading on moving in is all they need to account for.

If you would like to send in a meter reading to have an accurate bill generated, feel free to private message the reading to us here on Boards.ie, along with your Electric Ireland account number, name, address and telephone number (confirming that you are the account-holder).

We would recommend this if your bills have been estimates for a while. Are there accessibility issues in relation to the meter, which might be preventing ESB Networks from taking a reading?

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Eyeball Tickler

Thanks for that Una. I will discuss it with the other bill payers and come back to you. 

There are indeed accessibility issues, the meter was (for some reason) put on the side wall of the house but behind the back gate, which is locked. 

Actually one more quick question, if my meter hasn't been read in a while, how will Electric Ireland know the usage on the meter when the bill was transferred to my name? 

Hi again Eyeball Tickler,

This is why there is a requirement to send in a meter reading (which can be done by the tenant or landlord/lady or letting agency) at the point of moving in. It provides a starting point. Units used and bills estimated can only be from the point of that meter reading.

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi there,

I have a quick question about how my bill will be calculated if I submit meter readings. 

Our bill has been based on estimates for a while now. I've been keeping an eye on the meter, and I've worked out that while our bill for the last billing period is €459 (of which €445 is for electricity), we've only actually used about €320 over those 2 months. 

However, the TOTAL amount on the meter is more than the total amount estimated on the bill. I'm fairly certain this was racked up by previous tenants.

So I guess my question is fairly obvious, if I input meter readings, will I only be paying for electricity used from the current billing period onwards, or will I have to pay for the electricity use of whoever was living here before? 

Thanks. 
    You will have to send in a start reading to them but as you have already registered your name you will be charged for all amounts owed at the time you moved in!
    Hi again Eyeball Tickler,

This is why there is a requirement to send in a meter reading (which can be done by the tenant or landlord/lady or letting agency) at the point of moving in. It provides a starting point. Units used and bills estimated can only be from the point of that meter reading.

Regards,
    Una
    Why do Electric ireland allow people to register a new account without getting a proper meter reading?

• Advertisement

Actually one more quick question, if my meter hasn't been read in a while, how will Electric Ireland know the usage on the meter when the bill was transferred to my name? 
    They won't know or care! they will charge you for any amount owed by previous occupants/tenants unless you submit a reading when you register the account in your name!

Hello foggy_lad,

Electric Ireland would discourage customers from moving into a premises without a meter reading. A meter reading is listed as a requirement in the section on our website about moving address.
    An estimate would be required in cases where a move-in is backdated and there is no meter reading available from the time the customer had moved in, but besides this scenario we would avoid moving customers in on an estimate and would encourage them to obtain a reading.
    If a customer does not have access to a meter reading when they move in and is still anxious to register, we will advise them of the ramifications of moving in based on an estimate.

Customers would not be charged for the previous occupant's usage, as the named account-holder is the only party liable for bills.

Regards,
    Una

Thanks for all the advice. 

A question: why does my bio, under 'Reading type', say 'Your meter was read', even though it hasn't been?

Hello Eyeball Tickler,

This should only be on a bill if someone from ESB Networks has read the meter, however if you have reason to believe someone from ESB Networks did not read it, do private message us the account details listed in my first post to this thread.

Regards,
    Una

Thanks Una. I will PM you by tomorrow. 

It actually says "your meter was read" on all my bills but 1) I don't think it could be without someone knocking on the door and asking to be let through to the back garden and 2) the reading on the bill is quite different to reading on meter.

• Advertisement

Thanks Una. I will PM you by tomorrow. 

It actually says "your meter was read" on all my bills but 1) I don't think it could be without someone knocking on the door and asking to be let through to the back garden and 2) the reading on the bill is quite different to reading on meter.

There is an MPRN number on your bill which should also be on your meter somewhere! You should get access to the meter and check that the MPRN number on the bill matches the meter number.

Is it possible that someone has been letting the meter reader in to read the meter? Could he get access from the garden next door by maybe climbing a wall? Some readers wouldn't move a wheelie bin to read the meter but others will go to great lengths as a matter of pride in their work!

Hi again,

Just to add: the MPRN (meter point reference number) is not on the meter itself, but the RM serial number is.
    Eyeball Tickler, if the RM serial number of the meter could be provided to us in your private message, we can check that it corresponds with the RM serial number on your account.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement