Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Options
  • 14-04-2014 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

It's finally here! The fun really starts now. The fixtures are as below. Pick your winners :

Minnesota v Colorado (Colorado in 6)
    Chicago v St. Louis (St. Louis in 7)
    Dallas v Anaheim (Anaheim in 5)
    Los Angeles v San Jose (LA in 6)

Detroit v Boston (Boston in 5)
    Montréal v Tampa (Tampa in 6)
    Columbus v Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh in 5)
    Philadelphia v NY Rangers (NY in 7)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭eire1

Go Habs Go!!

Fingers crossed anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

eire1 wrote: »
    Go Habs Go!!

Fingers crossed anyway!

Flying the flag for Canada in the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

The Bruins.
    I just picked up some tickets to see them start the playoffs against the Red Wings this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

I'll pick the ducks. They have been on fire this season. I would love them to do it with it been teemu last season

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

Anaheim v Boston final. Think the Bruins will go one better this year.

• Advertisement

Was talking to a St. Louis fan at the Yankee game last week and he was convinced that they are going to make it through their side. I'll go for a Boston v St. Louis final. I just hope to god we get past the Flyers.

I think the Rangers will beat the Flyers. Ive alot of friends that agree but means nothing in the playoffs.
    Id go against St Louis for the reason that theyve gone off the boil a little at the end of the season but boston i think did the same last year and got to the final. This is why the playoffs are great, difficult to predict.

Good start for the Habs last night with a win on the road against Tampa.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

anybody see much of the st Louis-Chicago series yet, cracking series so far, seabrook suspended for 3 games could be massive! Chicago must be sick at this stage, letting in a late goal in each game and then going on to lose...

going to try and start watching as much games as I can from now on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    anybody see much of the st Louis-Chicago series yet, cracking series so far, seabrook suspended for 3 games could be massive! Chicago must be sick at this stage, letting in a late goal in each game and then going on to lose...

going to try and start watching as much games as I can from now on...

Game one was rough to take but last night is sickening. 6 seconds away from a steal. Seabrook's suspension is going to hurt badly but it's deserved. Was a terrible hit, lost us the game and potentially the series. Crawford has made some great saves but most of st Louis goals have been very soft. Towes and Kane are obviously not 100% either. Going to take a miracle to come back now with pretty much all the team way underperforming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭eire1

SWEEP!!
    Go Habs Go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Game one was rough to take but last night is sickening. 6 seconds away from a steal. Seabrook's suspension is going to hurt badly but it's deserved. Was a terrible hit, lost us the game and potentially the series. Crawford has made some great saves but most of st Louis goals have been very soft. Towes and Kane are obviously not 100% either. Going to take a miracle to come back now with pretty much all the team way underperforming.

The Hawks had a lot of bad luck in Game One. Hossa and Handzus both fell down on two different plays in which the Blues scored. The Hawks also gave up two goals with less than ten seconds left in periods in Game Two. It was more of the Hawks making mental mistakes not finishing out periods than anything else.

I was in St Louis on Saturday for Game Two. You would think that the Blues had won the Cup after squeaking by in two OT games. St Louis just doesn't have the depth to go the distance against defending Stanley Cup Champions in a seven game series. They proved it last year going up 2-0 against the Los Angeles Kings. It looks like they are doing it again going up 2-0 and not down 3-2. The Blues are going to have to prove that they are serial chokers by winning on Sunday or else they are going to need to make some serious changes going into next year.

The Seabrook hit on Backes was coming for a long time. Backes (and the Blues) has been taking runs at Toews going back before (and during) the Olympics. If anything, the concussion gave his foot a few extra days to ehal. Ott and Lapierre have been getting away with murder behind the plays. If they spent more time playing hockey they might actually have a chance in this series.

St Louis' best players have been pretty much absent. Backes (even before the hit) has been pretty much ineffective. He is throwing his body around, but not much other than that. Steen is afraid to shoot the puck. He wants to play the tough guy (which is laughable). Oshie finally got on the board after he fell down but was able to finish. They are getting more production out of their 4th line.

Sheldon Brookbank has been playing very well in relief of the suspended Brent Seabrook (who makes his return on Sunday in the United Center).

The Blues are going to need to get a lot more out of Ryan Miller on Sunday or else it's going to be a race to the golf course on the drive back down I-55.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Just an FYI, if anyone is interested the Woolshed in Dublin is showing the Bruins/Flyers game tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Just an FYI, if anyone is interested the Woolshed in Dublin is showing the Bruins/Flyers game tonight.
    I'll pop down so! This could be a big game, let's wait and see how they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

The Hawks had a lot of bad luck in Game One. Hossa and Handzus both fell down on two different plays in which the Blues scored. The Hawks also gave up two goals with less than ten seconds left in periods in Game Two. It was more of the Hawks making mental mistakes not finishing out periods than anything else.

I was in St Louis on Saturday for Game Two. You would think that the Blues had won the Cup after squeaking by in two OT games. St Louis just doesn't have the depth to go the distance against defending Stanley Cup Champions in a seven game series. They proved it last year going up 2-0 against the Los Angeles Kings. It looks like they are doing it again going up 2-0 and not down 3-2. The Blues are going to have to prove that they are serial chokers by winning on Sunday or else they are going to need to make some serious changes going into next year.

The Seabrook hit on Backes was coming for a long time. Backes (and the Blues) has been taking runs at Toews going back before (and during) the Olympics. If anything, the concussion gave his foot a few extra days to ehal. Ott and Lapierre have been getting away with murder behind the plays. If they spent more time playing hockey they might actually have a chance in this series.

St Louis' best players have been pretty much absent. Backes (even before the hit) has been pretty much ineffective. He is throwing his body around, but not much other than that. Steen is afraid to shoot the puck. He wants to play the tough guy (which is laughable). Oshie finally got on the board after he fell down but was able to finish. They are getting more production out of their 4th line.

Sheldon Brookbank has been playing very well in relief of the suspended Brent Seabrook (who makes his return on Sunday in the United Center).

The Blues are going to need to get a lot more out of Ryan Miller on Sunday or else it's going to be a race to the golf course on the drive back down I-55.

Great win last night and a huge momentum swing going into the elimination game tomorrow. Think the Hawks problem in the first two games was that they weren't playing "their" game. They were trying to be like the Blues trying to hit everything that moved and taking dumb penalties left right and center. They seemed to finally cop on in game 3 onward and play their own game and so far it's working.

The big players like Sharpe, Hossa, Saad and Keith need to start stepping it up big time if they're going to make a legitimate run. Hossa has shown and bit of an upturn in his game and to an extent Saad has too but Sharpe is invisible. Kane and Towes are no where near 100% but are doing ok and slowly getting back to their best. Crawford scares me, he can make some great saves and has kept them in games this series but the goals that have gone in have been way to soft. He's just doing enough as Miller has been having a hard time of it too but he really needs to get his head back in the game, he lets in a softie and his concentration goes, much like in the Phoenix series two years ago. Maybe my Hawks in 6 prediction might just work out. Will be worried about Seabrook tomorrow night if the Hawks are running away with it (which I doubt) but you can bet anything Ott, Lapierre and even Backes will be going for him. The officials need to be on their game tomorrow as they have been so poor throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Fuzzy wrote: »
    I'll pop down so! This could be a big game, let's wait and see how they play.

Hopefully they get the cup !! Would be fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alanmcl12

Pretty mad similarities between the last 2 St. Louis postseasons

2013 playoffs:
    Game 1: Steen GWG in OT (2-1 Blues in OT)
    Game 2: Jackman GWG (2-1 Blues)
    Game 3: Out shoot Kings by 9 get shutout (1-0 Kings)
    Game 4: Blow 3-2 lead late in 3rd lose 4-3 in regulation
    Game 5: Pietrangelo scores tying goal - his 1st of postseason, assisted by Schwartz - lose 3-2 in OT
    Game 6: Lose 2-1 and eliminated.

2014 playoffs:
    Game 1: Steen GWG in OT (4-3 Blues in OT)
    Game 2: Jackman GWG (4-3 Blues in OT)
    Game 3: Out shoot Hawks by 9 get shutout (2-0 Hawks)
    Game 4: Blow 3-2 lead late in 3rd lose 4-3 in OT
    Game 5: Pietrangelo scores tying goal - his 1st of postseason, assisted by Schwartz - lose 3-2 in OT

So Chicago for the win tomorrow evening right?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

I must say hats off to Chicago they came back from 2 games down against 1 of the top 5 teams in the playoffs. I have a feeling they will not give up their title easily

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

I must say hats off to Chicago they came back from 2 games down against 1 of the top 5 teams in the playoffs. I have a feeling they will not give up their title easily

One more pretender removed from the list of contenders. The St Louis Blues bowed out in much the same fashion as last year. Six straight power plays and they couldn't put one past Corey Crawford with the man advantage. They got every single call in this series and came up short.

I could not believe how they quit after the third goal went in. I was watching the clock wondering when Ken Hitchcock was going to pull Ryan Miller for an extra attacker. It never happened and the Hawks scored two more goals to send the Blues packing.

Jonathon Toews had his third game winning goal (the other was Patrick Kane). Duncan Keith was outstanding with a goal and three assists in the game. When looking at those stats, I had to think that St Louis really doesn't have a player of any one of these three calibre. (You might make an argument for Alex Pietrangelo after his regular season but in fairness you would be kidding yourself).

The Blues really didn't have much of a sustained offensive attack throughout the series. They really meed to address that in the offseason. They may be the deepest six d-men in the league at any given time, but that didn't do them any favours against the Blackhawks.

• Advertisement

Three Game Sevens scheduled for tonight.

Philadelphia vs New York Rangers
    Minnesota vs Colorado
    Los Angeles vs San Jose

I expect to wake up tomorrow to see Rangers, Avs and Sharks through to round 2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Really sad to see the Bolts not even getting a single win in the playoffs.

Kings playing game 7 for a chance to move onto the second round after trailing 0-3. If they win tonight, that'll be the 4th time a comeback like that has ever been done in the NHL. :)

MrGee wrote: »
    I expect to wake up tomorrow to see Rangers, Avs and Sharks through to round 2!!

I hope you at least got a good night sleep !!

Eastern Conference

Montreal vs. Boston
    NY Rangers vs Pittsburgh

Western Conference

Los Angeles vs. Anaheim
    Minnesota vs. Chicago

Amazing to see the comeback the Kings did.

I want to see the Minnesota Wild to win the cup though. :)
    First game starts at 2:30 AM though... oh well...

Penguins did 2 shut-outs in a row.

Current playoff standings
    Penguins 2 - 1 Rangers
    Blackhawks 2 - 0 Wild
    Kings 2 - 0 Ducks
    Canadiens 1 - 1 Bruins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Boom!! ... come on Crosby, let that one open the flood gates!

Boom!! ... come on Crosby, let that one open the flood gates!

Nice to see that he finally showed up on the score sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

the rangers haven't had a break in a while now where as the pens had a bit of a buffer between rounds... I think the rangers were on 5 in 7 or 8 last night, hopefully they can make a bit of a series of that one! fleury is in some form though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 DGThread

If Syd and Malkin can get alone Pittsburgh will take Bostin but i'd like to see IGGY win a cup.. Plus Bostin is just fun to watch. Calgary Game 7 loss, Edmonton Game 7 loss, then Vancouver Game 7. If Montreal makes it would be crazy to see the same happen to them.

Advertisement