Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a VPN to activate a game?

• 13-04-2014 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking to pick up ARMA 3 for cheap, and saw it on sale for 11-13e, but requiring a russian IP to activate it.

My question is, do I need to only use the russian VPN when activating the steam code, or will I need to use the VPN every time I play it?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

You only need to use it once when activating.
    If you try FlyVPN you should be able to get access to a Russian IP on the free trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭SpiceWeasel

You will have to restart Steam connected to VPN and once the game starts downloading you can turn off VPN. You will however need VPN on every time you start the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

SmurfX wrote: »
    You only need to use it once when activating.
    If you try FlyVPN you should be able to get access to a Russian IP on the free trial.
    You will have to restart Steam connected to VPN and once the game starts downloading you can turn off VPN. You will however need VPN on every time you start the game.

I'm a bit more confused now as these posts seem contradictory to each other :pac:

I don't mind using the VPN to activate the game on steam and stuff, but I don't want to have to use the VPN every time I want to launch and play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

As far as I know, you only need the VPN when activating the code, after that you can install, launch etc as you will.

Bear in mind, though chances are you won't be caught, that Valve don't like people using VPNs. Probably mainly applies to using the Steam store anyway but "the more you know".

Advertisement