Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet recommended for ditigal art?

• 24-03-2014 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

***Mods, feel free to move this to TABLETS forum if this isn't the right place***

I'm looking to buy a tablet suitable for digital drawing. I have the latest version of photoshop, and a pretty handy laptop. My max price is 100 euros, and I'm just looking for a pretty standard tablet I suppose.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can't go wrong with a wacom tablet. Your budget will determine size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

5uspect wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with a wacom tablet. Your budget will determine size.

Would the size of the tablet affect the aspect ratio? As you know the laptop and tablet are not the same Size.

iirc it can be configured to slide within the available space, so you always get a 1:1 ratio and movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The Monoprice budget jobs aren't bad, not as robust as Wacom, but still excellent value for money.

Try drawing on a piece of paper while looking at the screen, you might find (if you are used to using a mouse as opposed to a pen/brush) that the basic Wacom Intous (~£60) is just the right size.

I'm looking at the Wacom Bamboo pad, does this look any good?

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/everyday/bamboo-pad-usb

• Advertisement

I'm looking at the Wacom Bamboo pad, does this look any good?

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/everyday/bamboo-pad-usb

I think that's more of gesture, signature type tablet. I'd look a the Intous Pen - http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-pen

I think that's more of gesture, signature type tablet. I'd look a the Intous Pen - http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-pen

Thanks for the input. Could you please explain the difference between the tablet I found and your recommended one? Thanks :).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Polymorpheus

For €100 I think the Intuos Pen and Touch is a good bet. Don't underestimate the usefulness of having the touch features - zooming in as you would on an Android tablet or iPad has become so second-nature now that it can be hard to do without.

Thanks for the input. Could you please explain the difference between the tablet I found and your recommended one? Thanks :).

It's more akin to Apple's Magic Trackpad but with added graphics tablet functionality. It's looks quite cool actually and you could potentially use it more, my Wacon is gathering dust TBH.

If you want a pure graphics tablet this is probably more of a compromise. If you want a largish laptop style trackpad that you can use OS X style gestures on this is better.

Larger drawing area for a start.

• Advertisement

Larger drawing area for a start.

Size doesn't really matter as I'm purely doing it as a hobby. I want the tablet to be easily portable (for vacation etc) but decent size, maybe similar to the iPad Air?

Why not get a stylus for an iPad?

Size doesn't really matter as I'm purely doing it as a hobby. I want the tablet to be easily portable (for vacation etc) but decent size, maybe similar to the iPad Air?

The size of that tablet makes it more suitable for capturing signatures and using finger gestures, which is not what you asked for (drawing). That's all.

The Intous is pretty small - a little bigger than A5, and about the same amount smaller than an iPad Air.

EDIT: ..and I do think size is important, mine is too big and I don't find it comfortable to use, so I'm going to get the Intous instead.

5uspect wrote: »

I don't have an iPad, but I didn't know that would work :o I thought Photoshop required specific tablets.

There is a version called Photoshop Express. It's not really Photoshop, just a filter editor really. Adobe Ideas lets you paint fairly basic stuff tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Polymorpheus

5uspect wrote:
    I don't have an iPad, but I didn't know that would work :o I thought Photoshop required specific tablets.

From my experience you won't get the kind of experience with a stylus on an iPad as you would with, say, a basic Wacom tablet or a Samsung Note. I would love if styli worked better with the iPad (and I've tried ones from Wacom, Adonit and others) but I've never been happy with the results. With the iPad Air the stylus issues have only gotten worse (see here).

Just something to be aware of if you do go down that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 conor797

Id go with a Wacom Bamboo Tablet, had mine for four years now and its never given me any trouble :)

The iPad option won't be pressure sensitive, will it?

Advertisement