Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Data Analytics

• 17-05-2013 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

I am considering doing an MSc in Data Analytic. I am considering the following options:

MSc in Business Analytics at UCD
    MSc in Data Analytics at DIT (deadline is passed but there could be a possibility to be considered)
    or MSc in Data Analytics at DCU

I have no idea of modules offered by DCU.

The UCD course is not purely Data Analytics and is apparently older. To me it's something between Data Analytics and Operation Research. In other words there is no hardcore SAS, R programming it it. Anybody to confirm this?

On the other side, DIT and probably DCU courses are very computer science oriented, but I don't know to what extend the course will push you. How much hands on is they are? Any suggestion from one taking those courses?

My background: I have a PhD in Telecom working as a researcher, happy with programming and maths but don't have experience in Big Data programming. Any suggestion?

Oh, and by the way similar course is offered by Stanford as an online course (not giving MSc, and is also $6000)

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The UCD forum isn't likely to be the best fit for your thread, so I'm moving it to the postgraduate forum where it should work out a little better.

I do, however, have a friend who did the Business Analytics MSc, I'll try and get him to stick his head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

The UCD course is not purely Data Analytics and is apparently older. To me it's something between Data Analytics and Operation Research. In other words there is no hardcore SAS, R programming it it. Anybody to confirm this?

The UCD is Business Analytics, it is not confined to Data Analytics and does not do hardcore SAS, R programming. Its objective is broader than the ability to run SAS, it aims to provide people with an ability for analytical thinking in a business context rather than training in particular software.

It doesn't sound like the UCD programme is of interest to you, but if it is then I'd suggest applying soon as few places are left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 haterofman

Roby_D15 wrote: »
    I have no idea of modules offered by DCU.

Look here!
    http://www.computing.dcu.ie/postgraduate/mcm/course-structure
    http://www.dcu.ie/news/2013/jul/s0713s.shtml

Also UCC will offer a data-related master's programme from next September:
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/ckr49/

A quite comprehensive list of analytics programmes can be found here:
    http://datascience101.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/colleges-with-data-science-degrees/

I hope this helps. ;)
    Greetings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Sorry to jump on this thread but I was considering doing the Professional Diploma in Data Analytics. Does anyone have any information about this? Or would I be better off doing the masters? I currently have a masters already and didnt really want to commit to 2 years part time (because I work full time). Here is the link: http://www.ucd.ie/online/courses/course-finder/professionaldiplomaindataanalytics/
    Some of this seems to overlap with the MSc material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Hi Skud,

Did you go for the Professional Diploma in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 vital_parsley

Hi,

I know this question must have popped up a lota times,but as time passes I could have better insights to make a decision from experienced ppl.

So just wanted to know which of these courses has the best study and job prospects.
    Below are not according to my preferences,
    1) UCC - http://www.ucc.ie/en/ckr49/
    2) DCU - course has some IBM interference, - www.dcu.ie/news/2013/jul/s0713s.shtml
    3) DIT - http://postgradireland.com/course/11214 - This it seems concentrates more on SAS
    4) UCD Smurfit seems out of questions as I may not impress them with my not so good academics.

Now from the above 3 which I have come across(they may be more).,which is the one I should go ahead with ?

I am already in the Business Intelligence field for the past 6 years and work on the Data warehousing part of it.
    Could you please guide me on which course should I go for ,if given a chance.

Please let me know your suggestions asap as I need to apply for one of the above.

Hi Guys,

Could anyone reply pls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andrewcparnell

Hi,

I run the Online MSc and Online Professional Diploma in Data Analytics at UCD. The courses are meant for people with first degrees in a numerate subject to learn about the latest developments in Data Analytics. The ProfDip is 4 online modules taken over 2 semesters whilst the MSc is 18 online modules over 9 semesters. The modules cover statistical methods (regression, data mining, multivariate analysis, Bayes, etc), and computer languages (R, SAS, Python, Java, C).

The web link for all the information is: http://www.ucd.ie/mathsciences/graduatestudents/dataanalytics/ but if you have any other queries I'm happy to answer them here.

Andrew Parnell

Hi,

I run the Online MSc and Online Professional Diploma in Data Analytics at UCD. The courses are meant for people with first degrees in a numerate subject to learn about the latest developments in Data Analytics. The ProfDip is 4 online modules taken over 2 semesters whilst the MSc is 18 online modules over 9 semesters. The modules cover statistical methods (regression, data mining, multivariate analysis, Bayes, etc), and computer languages (R, SAS, Python, Java, C).

The web link for all the information is: http://www.ucd.ie/mathsciences/graduatestudents/dataanalytics/ but if you have any other queries I'm happy to answer them here.

Andrew Parnell

hi Andrew,thanks for the reply.
    I could have gone for UCD but I don't think my academics fulfill the requirement.So I am looking for other options like DCU and DIT.
    Would like to know which of these courses concentrates on which part.I mean,which is more technical or more operations etc.
    Would appreciate a quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

3) DIT - http://postgradireland.com/course/11214 - This it seems concentrates more on SAS

The full blown programme is FETAC level 9 MSc degree. But you can exit with a certificate or just take modules as CPD courses. Or, you can start with individual modules, and if you later decide to enroll into MSc programme, those courses will be counted in.

SAS is used, but so is range of other tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Hi,

Andrew Parnell

Hi Andrew,

I am currently in the MSc Conversion Masters in UCD in Computer Science. I am doing many computer languages such as Java, SQL, Unix, HTML, CSS. I am doing this course as my Undergrad was not numerate despite my numerate capabilities. I am currently expected to receive a 2:1.
    Data analysis is an area that I love as I have worked for many years part time for the CSO and have also used SPSS in Statistics in my Undergrad.
    I did apply last year to do the Hdip in Stats as a stepping stone in order for me to apply for the MSc in Data Analytics but was refused on my Undergrad as it wasn't numerate.
    Do you think that I will now be accepted with the MSc in Computer Science under my belt?

Hi edenbridge146,

Sorry for the delay in replying - didn't see this. Yes it sounds like it would be appropriate for you to apply. Obviously without full details it's impossible for us to make a full decision.

Andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Hi,

Andrew Parnell

Hi Andrew,

Not sure of you'll see this query, but I just have to ask: I'm always confused about what constitutes a numerate discipline. Would a degree in a biology discipline full under this? I have started working in a non-science related field that has prompted me to become interested in data mining.

Thanks,

Tarzana.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Tarzana wrote: »
    Hi Andrew,

Not sure of you'll see this query, but I just have to ask: I'm always confused about what constitutes a numerate discipline. Would a degree in a biology discipline full under this? I have started working in a non-science related field that has prompted me to become interested in data mining.

Thanks,

Tarzana.

I can give you a view from my own experience, they generally mean things like maths/physics/engineering I think. If you took modules in maths in your undergrad degree then you might be ok. I did a fairly maths-heavy MSc and there were people from a lot of different backgrounds, including a biologist, and she managed to get through. Then there was a guy with a pure business background who hadn't done much of the maths before and he struggled quite a lot.

Have you done much statistics, linear algebra or calculus in your time?

I can give you a view from my own experience, they generally mean things like maths/physics/engineering I think.

Yeah, I looked at the module descriptors there, and I think it's a bit too maths-heavy for me. There's prior knowledge needed for some modules that I simply wouldn't have, and I'm not sure my maths skills and aptitude would be high enough anyway, TBH.

My highest and best maths achievements are a higher B3 in LC Maths and a solid enough score in first year maths in college, that's about it. And I feel like that was my ceiling when it comes to maths. I think one needs to be realistic about one's abilities! Have zero experience of statistics.

Tarzana wrote: »
    Yeah, I looked at the module descriptors there, and I think it's a bit too maths-heavy for me. There's prior knowledge needed for some modules that I simply wouldn't have, and I'm not sure my maths skills and aptitude would be high enough anyway, TBH.

My highest and best maths achievements are a higher B3 in LC Maths and a solid enough score in first year maths in college, that's about it. And I feel like that was my ceiling when it comes to maths. I think one needs to be realistic about one's abilities! Have zero experience of statistics.

Looking at the modules there, it's heavily based on stats rather than other forms of mathematics. If they start from the start and you worked hard then there's no reason you couldn't do it imo, you did higher LC maths so you've obviously some aptitude.

Course actually looks fantastic, if I'd €10k to spend I'd sign up immediately.

Course actually looks fantastic, if I'd €10k to spend I'd sign up immediately.

Sadly, it'd only be the professional dip for me if I do it.

Hi Tarzana,

My general rule is that if you've taken and performed well (2:1 standard or above) in mathematics modules in your undergraduate degree then you'll usually be ok. In general we're looking for evidence that you can understand calculus and linear algebra. It doesn't have to be from a set degree, e.g. engineering or biology.

We've recently introduced a self-assessment quiz so that people can gauge whether their level of maths is appropriate. Boards.ie won't let me post a link to it but if you Google 'UCD data analytics self assessment quiz' it should come up as the top link.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

sorry to dig up an old thread but i realised im really into data visualisation. Ive been a rails dev for 3 years + 1 year android/windows and 1 year random php/wordpress.

my question is: Are these courses worth it ? The industry moves so fast when i was doing stuff in 2011 the course materials were like one solitary slide on nosql and a 2000 word essay about cloud computing. Then they became huge or certain things like JS going nuts. Did i just answer my own question ?

• Advertisement

Hi guys, sorry to have continued on this old thread.
    This year I have received an offer letter from Dublin business School for an Msc course in Data Analytics.

This year they have started their first batch.
    Would anyone be kind enough to let me know if it will be a good idea to opt for this course.

Do recruiters differentiate among candidates who have completed their courses from DBS or any other colleges/ university.

Advertisement